The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

We watched Willie Wonka and the Chocolate Factory in 4th grade after reading the book. At that age, watching anything from the 70's was like watching something from the Paleolithic Period, so I don't think I paid much attention to it. I remember being annoyed by how different it was from the book, though, which I adored and still do. I haven't watched the movie since that day in class, however, so I can't really comment on its quality.

So far I've seen three films from Mr. Cassavetes. I actively hated Faces and Husbands, and the only thing that kept me from hating A Woman Under the Influence is the extraordinary performance from Gena Rowlands. Cassavetes is my least favorite "important" director. His characters make me want to grab a gun and shoot the television screen. I'm sure they screen his movies for the prisoners at Guantanamo Bay as the ultimate form of torture.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I must admit though, I'm kind of mad that I can't be ticked about a film not possibly making it just because I put it at 25. There's some I didn't even rank that I would be mad about.

At least your #25 made the list. My #25 was one of the movies that only got 1 point, and it was from me. Nobody else voted for it.

I remember watching Willy Wonka in the 6th grade. I can't recall if I saw the ending or not. Maybe I was sick or something and missed school that day. I remember the beginning. I don't know if I ever revisited it. It's not one of those I care for. Maybe it's great, but I haven't rewatched it.

I never seen that Billy Wonka movie, but I always think it's a fairy tale film about a pedophile who seduces little children giving them sweets he gets from his factory, then rapes them and turns into big chocolate figures.
Somebody should make that film. Woody Allen can play "Billy Wonka."

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"

"How many licks does it take to get to the center of a Tootsie Pop?"

Hmmm. Let me think about this while I shave.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	tootsie-1982-10-g.jpg
Views:	923
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	16637  

My #25 movie was Love at First Bite (1979).
Never even heard of it. I looked it up and it looks something like a Mel Brooks film, so i may have liked it. Then again it's from the same guy who mad Mr.Mom

I doubt my number 25 will make it now either, but i know at least one other person who would've voted for it so that explains why it wasn't part of the 1 point club.

Never even heard of it. I looked it up and it looks something like a Mel Brooks film, so i may have liked it. Then again it's from the same guy who mad Mr.Mom
"Love at First Bite" is a great comedy about Dracula in New York. IMO, Richard Benjamin is so funny that he steals the movie.

I doubt my number 25 will make it now either, but i know at least one other person who would've voted for it so that explains why it wasn't part of the 1 point club.
I'm not sure if you're allowed to tell us yet, but if you are allowed, what was your #25?

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

The Rocky Horror Picture Show, which has been running constantly in midnight screenings since the mid-'70s and evolved into audience participation lovefests that are now a cinematic ritual and rite of passage, was on fifteen ballots with five top ten placements: a second, a fourth, a sixth, a seventh, and an eighth. The great Russian filmmaker Andrei Tarkovsky's first appearance on the list is in the top fifty. The Mirror was on thirteen ballots, also with five top ten votes, but the distribution was one sixth placer, a third, and three first place nods. Yesterday's A Woman Under the Influence was the first on the countdown with more than one first place vote, and Tarkovsky becomes the first with more than two.

To recap, the other titles on the countdown to previously have netted first place votes were Five Easy Pieces, Animal House, Walkabout, The Muppet Movie, Marathon Man, and The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie. As you would expect, first place votes become much more common, from here on up, though certainly not necessary to place highly. The number twelve film has no first place votes, for example.