The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Let the night air cool you off
So in other words I'm not missing anything...?
I haven't slept, so I am not as sharp as I may usually be. I might not have really presented my case very well. Not that one needs to be made, I'm not trying to convince you to like it. I was hoping to explain a little better why I like it though.

I haven't slept, so I am not as sharp as I may usually be. I might not have really presented my case very well. Not that one needs to be made, I'm not trying to convince you to like it. I was hoping to explain a little better why I like it though.
No, you're fine. I really am interested in what other people are seeing in this movie, because I'm totally missing it. Obviously.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Guess I was wrong about Deliverance. Just means I don't think Kramer makes it. I haven't heard a peep on this site about it. Really not a bad fan of Manhattan. I mean its not bad, but there's tons better 70s and Woody.

Wow, Manhattan is low. Not a film I had on my list, but I kinda expected it to be higher, though now I think about it I guess Woody isn't exactly the most universally popular filmmaker around here. The 70s may have been his best decade, but this effectively crushes any lingering hope I may have had for Sleeper, Love and Death, Interiors or Play It Again, Sam showing up.

I really enjoyed Deliverance. It had a lot of humor, beautiful scenery, and Reynolds was looking pretty hot. Of course, it was also memorable for a few other things including the song "Dueling Banjos," which I love. It was #7 on my list.

I tried watching Manhattan but got bored and shut it off.

My List
1. Didn't Make The Cut
6. Paper Moon (#74)
7. Deliverance (#51)
9. Serpico (#55)
12. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (#68)
22. Hausu (#76)
23. Mad Max (#70)
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Woody Allen enters the list just this side of the top fifty. Mahattan appeared on thirteen total ballots, and was on six top ten lists: two of you had it as their number ten choice, one as their eighth, and somehow three of you independently decided that it was worthy of the number five position. Boorman's Deliverance, which is still powerful and still infamous over forty years later, was also on thirteen ballots. It had four top tens: a pair of tenth placers, a seventh, and a second place vote.

Sixty-four to one hundred and fifty-nine was the point range from #100-#51. The top half of the list starts tomorrow, Dear MoFos.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	halfway.jpg
Views:	888
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	16608  

Seen both of these movie, but voted for neither. I liked Deliverance, but I did not like Manhattan.

Seen: 34/50

My list:

11. Mean Streets (77)
15. Mad Max (70)
24. All the President’s Men (75)

And now that we are getting into the top half of the list, I expect to start seeing a lot more of my selections show up.

Squeal Piggy!!

Deliverance was my #2 pick...

2. Deliverance - 51st
14. Mad Max - 70th
16. The Wicker Man - 79th
17. Logan’s Run - 100th
25. Assault On Precinct 13 - 80th

Deliverance 1972 (#51)
It was #15 on my list.
A normal man? For me, a normal man is one who turns his head to see a beautiful woman's bottom. The point is not just to turn your head. There are five or six reasons. And he is glad to find people who are like him, his equals. That's why he likes crowded beaches, football, the bar downtown...

Manhattan was my #19. Honestly this movie made me a little uncomfortable at times. The fact that it seems to so closely mirror his real life tryst with a high school girl did not sit well for me. Ultimately Allen wins me over with his fantastic characters and his usual other worldly dialogue. This is Allen's second best 70's movie and maybe his second best overall. His first is his masterpiece and I am hoping will be top 10.

Deliverance is on my list of shame. One of those movies a true film fan should have watched long before now.

To me it was an emotional atom bomb. Bergman brings us right up in the faces of these characters, which to me there is no liking or disliking, only observing. The "silly monologues" are actually cathartic. It's closure. To me the movie is all about closure. The type of closure that most of us seek but never have the courage or opportunity to achieve.
I think you did a fine job summing it up. I would just add that the ending seems to imply that there really was not much closure at all. Which is exactly how these things go in real life. Even when we allow ourselves to open up in very vulnerable ways, ultimately parts of the scars always remain. In the little Bergman I have watched his narratives do not seem complicated but his characters are extremely complicated. That is the best kind of film making for me.

I would add that I don't think the visuals in this movie were boring at all. Every outfit that is worn, the way a room is painted, and even the furniture are expertly picked and aesthetically pleasing. great movie, glad JJ liked it do much.

Yes!!! Manhattan ranks lower than Annie Hall . I don't dislike Manhattan, in fact I think it's pretty good, I just don't view it as THE Woody Allen masterpiece, but instead one of his middle ranked films. Haven't seen Deliverance yet.

I jumped the gun yesterday. I have nine from my list so far and fifteen that are all but locks. My #25 is probably not going to make it which is a bummer. I also mentioned that I have two first time watches that I watched for the countdown, I actually have three. Five Easy Pieces made it already and two to come.