The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Alt account!
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Alt lifestyle!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Le Cercle Rouge has one of the finest heist sequences I've ever seen. Maybe the best ever. Then again, I still haven't seen The Asphalt Jungle nor Rififi.

I haven't seen Grease, although heard about it. It seems to be cult classic among older people here in Poland. :P
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Le Cercle Rouge is an awesome, awesome film! Saw it just in time for the list.

#10 on my list.

Jean-Pierre Melville's Le Cercle Rouge and the incredibly popular Musical Grease, which was a full on phenomenon in 1978 and has new fans born with each subsequent generation, were yet another numerical tie on our countdown (still so many ties coming, too). Le Cercle Rouge was on nine lists, including five top ten placements: a second, a fourth, a sixth, an eighth, and a tenth place votes, while Grease only had three top tens (a fifth, sixth, and seventh), but was on thirteen lists total, including three of you who all had it as their number eleven choice. Appearing on more lists is the first level of tie breaker, so Grease lands one spot higher.

And Grease succeeds as some pretty timeless fun with great songs, in spite of the horrible animation in the opening title sequence...

Le Cercle Rouge, which is my second favorite Melville movie (first will hopefully appear on the '60s countdown, Army of Shadows), was another one from my list. I had it as my twenty-second pick, giving me eight so far and three in a row.

8. Little Big Man (#61)
10. The Man Who Would Be King (#81)
13. Breaking Away (#95)
17. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (#94)
19. MASH (#78)
20. Don’t Look Now (#72)
22. Le Cercle Rouge (#60)
24. The Spirit of the Beehive (#62)

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	trunk.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	385.0 KB
ID:	16565  

I would normally be happy that Le Cercle Rouge has shown up but...

60th place? Below Grease?

All you people need to start watching good movies more often
Snob.

I have some serious catching up to do. Only one I've seen of the recent sets is Spirit of the Beehive (which I liked, but didn't include on my list).

Le Cercle Rouge is an excellent film, although it wasn't in contention for my list. I wouldn't have been surprised if it were higher.

I've always loved Grease ever since I first saw it at the movies. However, I don't quite love it the way I used to, and I didn't vote for it. I'm pleasantly surprised it made this list.

I watched Jeanne Dielman, 23 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles last night and that gets me to 100% seen for this countdown. It was interesting; I didn't hate it, which isn't bad considering it's not suited for my taste.

Anyway, Le Cercle Rouge was 2nd on my list. I own it on Blu-ray and it is one of my favourite films of all time, oozing with style, it is definitely one of the coolest films I have seen. There's lots to love about it, the different characters that come together, all giving fantastic performances (Bourvil and Montand are great), and the 'set pieces' if you like. Obviously the heist scene is famous and everyone talks about it, it is superb, I think my favourite scene is one that involves the boot of a car. Beautiful slick cinematography and great music to go with it. It is easy to see how Melville has been inspired by the classic American noirs and crime films. One of the great crime films and a foreign film which I think would be quite accessible and easy for most crime fans to enjoy, I don't know how you could not fall in love with the irresistible style of the whole thing.

Edit: Also I do like Grease and would give it
, but it's got so far up in my eyes for other reasons than being a great film, just more people like it and remember it, and it's kind of a seminal 70s films that everyone has seen and enjoyed at some point. I am glad it made the list, but never thought it would be so high. I thought Le Cercle Rouge would make the top 50 at least

I have not seen Le Cercle Rouge, but I have seen Le Samourai and loved it. So I am happy this showed up and I need to see more Melville.

Grease I have seen, but thought it was okay. A bit overrated if you ask me.

Seen: 24/42

My list:

11. Mean Streets
15. Mad Max
24. All the President’s Men

So many good films here that were not on my list - Spirit of the Beehive, Fantastic Planet, The Holy Mountain, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Paper Moon, Walkabout, Suspiria, Don't Look Now and now Le Cercle Rouge.

13. Top 50
I will save this prediction to see how right I am.
Top sixty, anyway. Close.

Mine:
4. Will hopefully make it, probably quite soon
23. I really don't know if this will make it or not.
Incredibly soon, actually. And I think your number twenty-three has a shot.

So many good films here that were not on my list - Spirit of the Beehive, Fantastic Planet, The Holy Mountain, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, Paper Moon, Walkabout, Suspiria, Don't Look Now and now Le Cercle Rouge.
Yeah, that is a fun part of these lists. For most of us, narrowing a list down to twenty-five is almost impossible, and you invariably leave off favorites and movies that are important to you. But to see those titles appear on the list anyway, even without your help in the form of points, is heartening and a happy surprise/affirmation when they pop up.

Paper Moon, The Last Picture Show, Ali: Fear Eats the Soul, All That Jazz, The Conformist and F for Fake were all painful cuts from my list, but MoFo at large saved them.

Thanks, Guys and Gals!

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Never heard of Beehive or Rouge, haven't seen enough of Big Man to judge. Grease was good for what it was though I didn't like it much.

Any way Murder on the Orient Express gets on the list?