The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

The People's Republic of Clogher
I might have known Tatty would have it highly rated too. We have similar tastes.
I'm thinking there was a Don't Look Now thread on the old BBC boards but that's probably my memory playing tricks on me. It's a pity they didn't archive all that stuff.

I'm thinking there was a Don't Look Now thread on the old BBC boards but that's probably my memory playing tricks on me. It's a pity they didn't archive all that stuff.
Certain there was. We had some good chats on there
(All Our Yesterdays )

I haven't been online in a few days, so I'm just now catching up with the last eight entries.

When preparing for this countdown, The Conformist and Don't Look Now were two movies very high on my to-watch list. Now that the deadline has come and gone, they're still on my to-watch list. Don't Look Now looks like it'd be right up my alley, whereas The Conformist looks like the kind of movie I'd admire and respect more than I'd actually enjoy. Roeg has one film on my list, but I'll be shocked if it makes an appearance.

Marathon Man is a very good thriller, but it always baffles me when I hear someone label it as one of the best movies of the decade. I'm in the boat that doesn't "get" MASH; maybe a second viewing will cause something to click. House was obnoxious and annoying, like an ADD kid high on cocaine and sugar (with a little bit of LSD mixed in). All the President's Men, on the other hand, is an excellent movie that very nearly made my list.

Paper Moon was my #11, and the only thing that kept it from being even higher on my list is the sad fact that I've only seen it once. It's one of the most charming movies I've ever seen, and I can't imagine anyone disliking it. Tatum O'Neal gives one of the most impressive performances I've seen from a kid, and the amazing on-screen chemistry between she and her father has resulted in one of my favorite movie pairings. I'm annoyed that I don't already own it on DVD or Blu-Ray, since Paper Moon has all the qualities of becoming my new go-to movie on a rainy day when I'm feeling down in the dumps and want to have my cold heart warmed. It's like chicken soup for the soul.

I'm also a huge fan of Bogdanovich's The Last Picture Show (which I hope will be appearing much higher on the countdown). I don't understand how someone could make two films of such magnificence, then make nothing else of note for the rest of his career. (Although I've yet to see any of his other films, so maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't hear good things. He's often mentioned as a director who showed enormous promise, then never lived up to it.) I was a little bit worried that Paper Moon wouldn't even make the countdown, so I'm extremely pleased to see it on here.

Mean Streets was my #24, Yeah, it's raw and a bit rough around the edges, but it's the burgeoning seed of everything Scorsese fans would come to love about his films--- the familiar themes, the aesthetic, the soundtrack, the seedy yet extraordinarily captivating cast, the first of many dynamite performances by Robert De Niro, the grit, the grime, the realistic, seldom seen peek into a world most of us will (thankfully) never see, etc., etc. Not only is Mean Streets Scorsese's most personal film, I think it's also one of his most authentic. If De Niro and Keitel hadn't gone on to become cinematic heavyweights, I'd swear that Charlie and Johnny Boy were real people, not characters.

My List So Far:
#8) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
#10) The Holy Mountain
#11) Paper Moon
#22) Straw Dogs
#24) Mean Streets

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Nearly had the Muppet Movie...

Had Mad Max in 14th.

14. Mad Max - 70th
16. The Wicker Man - 79th
17. Logan’s Run - 100th
25. Assault On Precinct 13 - 80th

Mad Max was on ten lists, with a pair of top ten placements: a fifth and an eighth. The Muppet Movie was on seven ballots, but had four top ten finishes, including being somebody's number one (also a third, a sixth, and a seventh place vote).

Can't remember if Mad Max was on my list. I know The Wicker Man was...
Mad Max was NOT on your list. Though another one of your picks may be showing up in the next few days?

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Haven't seen the Muppet movie and only some of Mad Max here and there.

Jaws gonna' make the top 5?

*GASP*

Those were BOTH on my list!!!!!!

First movies from my list!!!!! Two of them together!!!!

How wrong, though, that MUPPET MOVIE wound up being dirty #69.

How wrong, though, that MUPPET MOVIE wound up being dirty #69.
I knew somebody would note that, and figured there was a 95% chance it'd be you. Get your mind out of the gutter, Scumbag.

Though, full disclosure...I'd totally bang Miss Piggy.

Seen Mad Max, I think it's decent but nothing great. I like the gritty aesthetics and the overall concept, the crazy characters and the wird but cool vehicles, but I wasn't very happy with the execution. I'm pretty sure everyone knows the general story before they go into the film, so it spoils 80% of it. I was expecting the film to be a crazy revenge film all the way through, but it only really gets to this point with 20 minuts left, and when we do finally get the face off, it's not exactly thrilling.
-

I've not fully seen The Muppet Movie, probably bits and bobs down the years, as with other stuff from the Muppets. The poster and Western image Holden used make me interested in watching it fully though, seems fun.

I've not fully seen The Muppet Movie, probably bits and bobs down the years, as with other stuff from the Muppets. The poster and Western image Holden used make me interested in watching it fully though, seems fun.
It is a fun movie, and has some great cameos, including Bob Hope, Richard Pryor, Madeline Kahn, Orson Welles, and Steve Martin...

I don't understand how someone could make two films of such magnificence, then make nothing else of note for the rest of his career. (Although I've yet to see any of his other films, so maybe I'm mistaken, but I don't hear good things. He's often mentioned as a director who showed enormous promise, then never lived up to it.)
Check out They All Laughed. I love that one. I can't comment on any others.

I've seen Mad Max, but it has been quite a while ago (my father showed it once to me when I was around 14 years old or something). I'm thinking about watching the Mad Max trilogy sometime (I've only seen the first one yet), as I have them all on DVD.
I remember liking the film, but I was also not completely impressed with it. It was raw and brutal and quite tragic at times, but like Daniel says, the build up is probably a little bit too long for this kind of film. I'll give it an OK rating for now and will give my final judgement about the film after a much needed rewatch.

Haven't seen The Muppets Movie yet, but I'd probably enjoy it.

SEEN: 13/32

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

84. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie -

82. F for Fake -
#17 on my list!
78. MASH -