The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I've only seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail and rated it
. Add me to the dislike camp!
Yup. Added you to the people I dislike camp.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Watched Hausu for the 3rd HoF. It didn't quite make my list but it was a contender. I really like it.

Has anything from Deadite's list made it? Maybe someone can have his so when something comes up from his list he can still be a part of it somewhat since this is the last list he will ever participate in. Unless you would want to do that yourself, Holden.

I remember the Holden vs Deadite exchange from the Comic Book List. Good stuff.
That's why I said that about them. I reread that recently.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
It's fine either way, I just keep getting PMs and post comments asking. Which kind of makes we wonder how little people have paid attention to my taste in movies. I thought it would be obvious.
Is there a Joaquin Phoenix 70s flick???

Some people (generally speaking) should really learn the difference between 'having a disagreement with someone' and 'not liking someone'.

Is there a Joaquin Phoenix 70s flick???

Obviously not. But given other interests of mine and the fact that there are only two 70s films in my personal top 100, it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

It's fine either way, I just keep getting PMs and post comments asking. Which kind of makes we wonder how little people have paid attention to my taste in movies. I thought it would be obvious.
You can answer in a PM, but please don't reveal the titles publicly until they come up on the list.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

All the President's Men is awesome, but not awesome enough for my list. Another Pakula film is, however, but I doubt it'll make an appearance now.

Mean Streets is good. I've always felt MASH is very overrated, so here's hoping there's lots more Altman to come.

I really thought Holden might actually add two more earlier today.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Holden didn't like Deadite.
Even if he didn't I'm sure that wouldn't make any difference in him letting us know if something from his list pops up or sending it to someone else so they can.

But also what Cobpyth said.

Paper Moon was on eight lists, with a pair of sixth placers being its only top ten votes, while Marathon Man was on seven lists but had three top tens, including being somebody's number one choice.

Unregistered User
I like Marathon Man but it was never going to make my list. Paper Moon is a great film which again did not make my list but it was very close, maybe if i had watched it more than once it could have sneaked in.
Seen 16 from the 28, with only 2 from my list so far.

I like both of these, but have to say underwhelmed given their reputation. Paper Moon is a sweet flick with two fantastic central performances, a gentle meander through America's Midwest and a might-be-father-daughter relationship. It's very enjoyable, but didn't do enough to get on my list. Here's my impression of Marathon Man when I saw it over a year ago:

An entertaining movie in a lot of unexpected ways. For about 90 minutes I'm watching a very solid thriller, a little generic, but pulse-quickening - that drilling scene was gloriously painful to watch. Then in the course of the final half hour-ish, I realise that I'm watching a movie about a diamond-crazed Nazi dentist who thinks he's in Assassin's Creed. Played by Laurence freakin' Olivier. After this point, the film became a comedy to me, so I guess it ceased to be doing its generic job. Whether that's down to dated-ness or what, I don't know, but I do know that it's just as entertaining, if not more so than before, down the home stretch.

To be honest, I'm struggling to think of much else to say. Hoffman is great, as per usual, as is Olivier and most of the supporting cast. I can't give it too high a mark because I ultimately don't think it worked purely as it had intended to, but it does work in many wacky, uneven, unexpected ways so I'd recommend it to anyone.
Not sure what the Assassin's Creed comment refers to (haven't seen it since then). But very enjoyable, again, just not list-calibre for me.