The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A couple more cool films.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I'm dreading the reveal of Rocky Horror Picture Show.
I'm not crazy about Rocky Horror, but at least it would bump me up to three movies I've seen from the list.

Also I may or may not have voted for it.

I haven't seen Assault on Precinct 13 in probably 30 years. I remember it as a big mess of violence and chaos that I looked forward to watching every time it came on TV, but I've forgotten about the movie in the ensuing years. The Wicker Man is the first movie to show up that I genuinely dislike, though the ending is good.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Haven't seen Assault on Precinct 13. I thought The Wicker Man was genuinely, laughably bad when I saw it... up until the whole ending which is genuinely creepy and disturbing.

I watched F for Fake last night and I found it a bit irritating overall.

This set is weaker than the precedent. I've not seen the Carpenter movie and The Wicker Man is pretty good.
You couldn't be more wrong.
I agree with Pussy Galore that this set is weaker than the previous.
You neither.
THE WICKER MAN?!

That's even worse than THE OMEN!

OMG. TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE better show up on this list now.

Or there will be a MOFO CHAINSAW MASSACRE!!!!!!
GTFO!!!

Sadly, TCM is going to show up and much higher, I suspect, than either of these two. Which is a shame, as that film is ****.

I've seen Assault on Precinct 13 and The Wicker Man, but didn't particularly care for either one.
Of course you don't. I love them, therefore for you to even like them would've been a little worrying.

For those in the UK, they show F For Fake on Sky Arts sometimes.

I'm not in the mood to wax lyrical about anything right now, but those of you who know me will know how happy I was to see both of these side by side. Truly love both films and both were on my list. Assault was #17 and Wicker Man was #24.

two very good movie especially Assault On Precint 13 who was on my list

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
Saw some of the 13 remake with Ethan Hawke, didn't see either Wicker. I was looking at the 2010 best-ever countdown so I think I can see some shoe-ins for top ten here if that list is a good indicator.

The People's Republic of Clogher
The Wicker Man was my #17.

Where else will you get to see Saruman in a skirt and plimsolls and Britt Ekland (and Ingrid Pitt) in the nip?

Nowhere else. That's where.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It just seemed to jump about a lot without really saying anything. The whole entirely predictable 'fake out' of the last story. The extended close-ups of Oja's legs and bottom as she walks around accompanied by jaunty jazz music. It seemed at times contrived, pretentious and under-developed.

There were some good lines and interesting points raised on the nature and value of art and forgery, but I think you would have to really like Orson Welles to really enjoy 89 minutes of his meditations.

I'm not saying it was a bad film, because it wasn't, it just didn't particularly charm me.

The People's Republic of Clogher
It seemed at times contrived, pretentious and under-developed...

...but I think you would have to really like Orson Welles to really enjoy 89 minutes of his meditations.
Pretty much spot-on.

It just seemed to jump about a lot without really saying anything. The whole entirely predictable 'fake out' of the last story. The extended close-ups of Oja's legs and bottom as she walks around accompanied by jaunty jazz music. It seemed at times contrived, pretentious and under-developed.

There were some good lines and interesting points raised on the nature and value of art and forgery, but I think you would have to really like Orson Welles to really enjoy 89 minutes of his meditations.
Yeah, I probably fall in that category of people who really like Orson Welles and Oja Kodar's legs.

I personally did find some deeper truths in Welles' monologues and I was mesmerized by the film's chaotic, but oddly coherent style. Thanks for your clarification, though. I understand that this film is not for everyone's tastes.

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Two from my list #21 and #22. Sunday seems to be the day my picks show up. M.A.S.H is a fairly recent watch. Like other Altman films it is a delight just to spend time with the characters. The script is brilliant. It may not be laugh out loud funny but few movies are and in my opinion some of the greatest comedies are not.

Mean Streets is not my favorite Scorsese but I do like it better tham a movie that is going to show up waaaaay higher on this countdown. The draw is that central relationship between Keitel and DeNiro. Disfunctional and funny. Scorsese doing crime drama is light years ahead of anyone else doing crime drama.

Nice pair. I didn't use to like MASH but after a few viewings I like it quite a bit now, appreciate the humour much more and find myself quoting it quite a bit, "It's only a game", "That is all" etc. my brother finds it hilarious and loves it. Mean Streets is also a very good film, been a while since I saw it but I really liked it a lot, liked the more 'raw' feel to it, very Scorsese in its themes and direction. Neither made my list.