The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

That just means it will be higher up more then likely.
I'll just say this... hopefully Holden won't mind (you better not) -- it got more than 10 points from me.

The man who wrote that died the other day.
How strange. I'd just looked up his wiki page prior to his dying. Well, R.I.P. to Thomas Berger. There was a time I really dug his writing. (What had made me look him up was a revisiting of old John Belushi movies, including the ever-disappointing Neighbors, based on a Berger novel.)

I have Autumn Sonata on my DVR. I intended to watch it before submitting my list, especially after seeing Swan and a few other members praise the film so highly, but I just never found the time. I've yet to see a Bergman film I didn't like, though, and he ranks highly on my hypothetical greatest directors of all-time list, so I'm sure I'll love Autumn Sonata once I get around to seeing it.

I have seen The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, however, and, like the few other Bunuel films I've seen, I admire it much more than I actually like it. I'm happy to see his films once, but I never have any interest in re-visiting them.

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul is a great movie. If we had been allowed 30 nominations instead of 25, it's possible that the film would've made my list. I need to see more Fassbinder.

Straw Dogs, however, did make my list (#22). It's a great examination of violence and masculinity with yet another great performance from Dustin Hoffman. Also, as a fan of John Steinbeck, it's cool to see the Of Mice and Men-inspired subplot. Peckinpah has become one of my favorite directors in recent months. He had three films on my list. I'm sure this is the last of his films that will make the countdown, though.

My list so far:
8.) Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
10.) The Holy Mountain
22.) Straw Dogs

I really dislike Strawdogs. I just think its whole premise is ridiculous and I just can't take it seriously. Have not seen the other. Looks pretty good though.

And I think Little Big Man will have no problem making it onto this fine list. So just you wait Sexy.

Exterminate all rational thought.
A nice pair! Straw dogs is a pretty excellent film, but did not make my list, same goes fr Discreet. Can't be a 70's list without some Buñuel!

And I think Little Big Man will have no problem making it onto this fine list. So just you wait Sexy.
I mean, it's not the most exciting thing in the world to me, but you all will like it and I will have helped in getting it on here.

Bunuel and Bergman in the bottom 20, uh oh
Now there's some excitement. Wintertriangles getting scared.

VFN
Winter Calls Thy Name
I want to give well deserved props to Holden Pike for not only compiling this list but it's great presentation. Really nice to be able to see the new entries on the first page, be brought to a post about a particular one through a click, then be able to learn more about it through the wiki and IMDb links available. Really well done.

Discreet was the first of a few surrealistic movies I saw and I was really taken by it. Didn't find much I liked about Straw Dogs except maybe Hoffman.

I want to give well deserved props to Holden Pike for not only compiling this list but it's great presentation. Really nice to be able to see the new entries on the first page, be brought to a post about a particular one through a click, then be able to learn more about it through the wiki and IMDb links available. Really well done.
Thanks. I'm tryin.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Thanks for all your hard work, babe! So far there is only one movie from my list (Breaking Away), that has made this list, but it's still nice to keep up with. It will give me more movies to check out. I haven't seen a few of those, and I'm sure that list will get a lot longer. I'm so behind on these things.

anybody remember during the 80's when SexyCelebrity promised he'd haunt the 70's countdown with Shelley Duvall ? whatever happened to that ?

she played in a handful of 70's features, such as

Brewster McCloud (1970)
McCabe & Mr Miller (1971)
Thieves Like Us (1974)
Nashville (1975)
Buffalo Bill and the Indians, or Sitting Bull's History Lesson (1976)
3 Women (1977)
& Annie Hall (1977)

Straw Dogs is a classic. Not seen the other film..looks a bit eggy to me...The rape scene in Straw Dogs still hasn't been released fully uncut, it's a shame really...

Unregistered User
Not seen either. The Man who would be King doesnt really appeal to me that much but im definately interested in F for Fake, a bit gutted I didnt get round to watching that actually.

The People's Republic of Clogher
Another one from my pile of shame, and it was sitting on top of the pile when I was typing my list. And I'd watched it again a few days before. And I'd probably have stuck it in my top 10.

I baffle myself sometimes.