The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Sexy Soap Opera (with all of us as puny cameos) triumphs over a decade of lowly movies... again!

All you had to do was agree with me. Say, "That's a good idea, Sexy! We'll make it a restriction the next time so that you have to have 10 posts before you can send in a list!"

Then, don't do it.

Lie to me.

Tell me LIEEEES. Tell me sweet little lies. Tell me, tell me, tell me lies........

That would have been the end of this.

I must moan.

So far, this is the worst decade countdown yet. Nothing I like / nothing I really care for / nothing from my list / a lot that I've never heard of / and it doesn't feel like a '70s list to me.

I know there's a lot of '70s stuff I haven't seen, but I still thought I'd be able to recognize the '70s here. I am not.

This feels like the '70s on another planet. Very boring countdown. Note that I am not saying Holden is doing a bad job, it's just that the list sucks. However, nothing will top how bad the '90s list was. The '70s countdown is the worst, but it's a different kind of worst. It's an indifferent worst. The '90s was a worst that mattered to me.
The 90's was the best countdown so far.

Sexy, I'm going to now refer to you as the Queen. Because you are exactly like the Queen from Alice in Wonderland.
SC's been the queen of this place for years now.

Buffy: Does it ever get easy?
Giles: You mean life?
Buffy: Yeah, does it get easy?
Giles: What do you want me to say?
Buffy: Lie to me.
Giles: Yes. It's terribly simple. The good guys are always stalwart and true. The bad guys are easily distinguished by their pointy horns or black hats, and, uh, we always defeat them and save the day. No one ever dies and... everybody lives happily ever after.
Buffy: Liar.

The 90's was the best countdown so far.
Probably because the person in charge of that countdown was so freaking cool that it made the list even better.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Autumn Sonata is the first from my list to make it on here I didn't have it very high up (so much awesomeness from the '70s), but it's a great film and one of Bergman's most intense dramas with two seriously kickass performances. I had the pleasure of experiencing it for the first time in theaters during a local screening.

One Bergman from my list down, two to go

Unregistered User
I had The Tenant at 10, i love it. I prefer it to Rosemary's Baby (just) but its not as good as Repulsion. Sat night fever was close to making my list but it got pushed out at the end, its still a great film. Now, i really like Bergman but Autumn Sonata didnt really do much for me when i watched it. After seeing the praise its getting here i'll give it another go. I didnt get round to seeing Ali; Fear but i'll get to it eventually.

I watched Logan's Run last night and liked it! I love movies that very much look like they've been made in a certain time period, because they always seem to give me the pleasure of nostalgia. In that sense, this film is obviously a sci-fi film made in the '70s!
Furthermore, the film was just a very fun ride with a nicely executed, idyllic and gorgeously campy looking '70s sci-fi world. Be sure to check it out if you're in the mood for a classic motion picture adventure with some '70s touches to it.

Will probably watch Autumn Sonata next from this list.

SEEN 5/16 so far!

100. Logan's Run -

98. Being There -

97. Fantastic Planet -
+
96. All That Jazz -
#12 on my list!
87. Saturday Night Fever -

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Yes, another numerical tie (amazing how many there were). Discreet Charm was on six lists, and is the first film in the countdown with a first place vote (it also had an eighth and a tenth). Straw Dogs on the other hand only had two top ten votes, a pair of seventh placers, but it was on ten total ballots, giving Peckinpah the slight edge over the Buñuel.

Now that's more like it

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie made my list in 11th place. I only watched it recently, but I thought it was fascinating and intriguing, I loved its surrealistic style and it's something I've been thinking about a lot since viewing it. It's a real fun film with Buñuel constantly playing tricks on the viewer, it might be frustrating but I don't think it makes the movie particularly difficult. The script is intelligent and full of humour as it takes aim at satirising the social hierarchy, exposing the hypocrisy of the Bourgeoisie.

Straw Dogs didn't make my list, but it probably could have on another day. Perhaps my second favourite Peckinpah (perhaps on par with The Wild Bunch, my favourite already made the list). A fantastic thriller with a great central performance from Dustin Hoffman who suits the role of uncomfortable outsider perfectly, the atmosphere and tension that builds up is superb, and I love the grimy rural British setting.

Another one from my list! I Had The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie as #22. I must say im quite surprised at the amount of foreign films and this seems to be one of the more diversified lists we have had. Maybe its the number of lists which got turned in... idk.

My favorite Buñuel is stil Viridiana and i hope thats going to make the 60's list!

I saw Straw Dogs recently and didn't not think to highly about it. In lack of better words it feels very constructed / forced and the intentions of the characters lacks meaning. Though the violence in the end is pretty cool, i was just at a point where i didn't really care for the characters nor the narrative.

I should have re-watched Straw Dogs. I saw it years ago and didnt really care for it one way or the other. It had copletely left my mind until you MoFos started watching it like crazy lately. I will give it another chance.

Let the night air cool you off
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie showing up is a pleasant surprise. I never got around to seeing Straw Dogs, but I really should have.

My List

10. The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

I noticed that my #25 wasn't listed in the group of movies to only receive one point, so that means some other depraved individual had to have voted for this Fulci classic. So who was it?

Two movies that just missed my list. I especially wish Straw Dogs made it.

I noticed that my #25 wasn't listed in the group of movies to only receive one point, so that means some other depraved individual had to have voted for this Fulci classic. So who was it?
Why are you so sure that a dozen other people didn't vote for it and it's still going to be revealed in the countdown?

Let the night air cool you off
Why are you so sure that a dozen other people didn't vote for it and it's still going to be revealed in the countdown?
Don't play with my heart like that. There is NO way...right?