The MoFo Top 100 of the 1970s: Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Nothing to do with your comment but watching the sweet Drew Barrymore and the badass Joaquin Phoenix avatars headbanging in unison almost made me pregnant
This post inspired a new game from me:

Have a Baby with the MoFo Above You

Give it a whirl! Be as creative as possible.

I havent seen Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia by Sam Peckinpah but i recently saw Straw Dogs. To say it rather bluntly i am not in a hurry to watch more Peckinpah.

The Holy Mountain was #14 on my list. While it is really good, Santa Sangre still stands as the best film i have seen from Jodorowsky. I am however pleased that Jodorowsky made the 70's list, but still a bit pissed that his big (horror) masterpiece of the eighties did not make the 80's list.

Hopefully El Topo will also make the list, but i have my doubts!

Also golden turd FTW!

"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

There is a movie from my list, Jeremiah Johnson #17. Watched it a ton with my dad through my teen years. I think it is the movie that made me realize I didn't need a lot of talking and action to enjoy a film. Great Redford movie. If you haven't seen it, check it out.

As you can see, another numerical tie, both earned seventy-three points. And both Jeremiah Johnson and Sleuth were on five ballots, each. Sydney Pollack and Robert Redford's mountain man tale's highest votes were eighth place (a pair of them, actually), while the ingenious cat-and-mouse-and-cat game that is Larry Olivier and Michael Caine squaring off in Sleuth had a fourth place, a sixth place, and an eighth place vote, putting it one spot higher on our list.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	sleuth.jpg
Views:	966
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	16413  

Sleuth is good fun. I believe it was our list Curator himself who sent it to me back in the day.

I had it on my list, and I believe my wife had it very high on hers. I like high-concept, puzzly movies like that, and obviously the two leads are wonderful. A little goofy at times, and longer than it has to be, but the back and forth is great and the sharpness of the dialogue keeps sneaking up on you. Good movie.

Never even heard of Jeremiah Johnson, sure does look interesting though. Added to top my Netflix DVD queue. Sleuth has been on my watch list for ages. 0/2 on this set, but both are film I really want to see.

Jeremiah Johnson wasn't on my list, but it is definitely one of the best Westerns of the decade and I was so happy to see it make the cut. And while it is a "Western", it doesn't exactly follow the genre conventions you may know, even in the Revisionist era. Redford's quiet but powerful performance, the AMAZING scenery (this was the project that really had Redford fall so in love with Utah, ultimately leading to the Sundance Institute and Film Festival decades later), and the man vs. nature themes will make this one very enjoyable for just about anyone, I would think, even if you don't really do many Westerns or if you have a predisposition against them.

Check it out.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I'm another one who had never heard of Jeremiah Johnson, but I'll look into it.

I like Sleuth, it wasn't in my top 25 but I liked it. (I also like the more recent version, where Michael Caine plays the Olivier role.)

Never even heard of Jeremiah Johnson, sure does look interesting though. Added to top my Netflix DVD queue. Sleuth has been on my watch list for ages. 0/2 on this set, but both are film I really want to see.
I hope you like it Donnie. Let us know. It is what I consider the first"grown up" movie I ever loved.

Had not heard of Jeremiah Johnson before, which is a nice surprise. Sleuth was one of the films I wanted to watch for this list, but didn't get around to. It definitely looks like my cup of tea, though.

Yeah Jeremiah Johnson made the list, I love this film as Holden said it's not really a western imo it's more a simple story of a man who lives in the mountain. It was my #13 and if I hadn'T watched that many movie of the 70's before sending my list it would be top 7 or 8. Also, on the blu ray Robert Redford's commentary is great.

Another pair of unseen movies for me. Sleuth had been on my watchlist but I never got to it. Can't say there's anything about the other that's ever interested me.

ETA: Unlike many of the posters above me, I have heard of Jeremiah Johnson, but only because of its frequent presence in the Walmart $5 DVD bargain bins.

My List:
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)

Another pair of unseen movies for me. Sleuth had been on my watchlist but I never got to it. Can't say there's anything about the other that's ever interested me.

ETA: Unlike many of the posters above me, I have heard of Jeremiah Johnson, but only because of its frequent presence in the Walmart $5 DVD bargain bins.

My List:
25. Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1 point, not on the countdown)
I keep checking those bargain bins and never see it there.