Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

Once Upon a time in the west is decent, too long though with to many false endings. I've had mixed experiences with Jarmusch, I haven't seen Mystery Train yet though.

I've seen Stranger Than Paradise and Down by Law, it was not bad, but nothing that good. I'll still check it out, I still have hope for Jarmusch

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Once Upon a time in the west is decent.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

From what I've seen from Jarmusch so far, I'd rank his movies like this:

1. Mystery Train - My favorite of his so far. Read my former post for more info.

2. Dead Man - Intense and moody experience. Amazing score.

3. Night On Earth - Some of the tales I like better than the others, but they are all meaningful and interesting.

4. Broken Flowers - Starts off REALLY good, but kind of descends a little after the main character's first "visit", in my opinion. Still a good film, though.

5. Stranger Than Paradise - Simplistic, atmospheric and admirable achievement, but the low budget caused two or three frustating moments for me. Sometimes it felt a little too limited. I feel like a rewatch might help me appreciate it even more.

6. Coffee and Cigarettes - A few cool and funny sketches, but also a few lesser ones. Nothing truly great, but still worth a watch if you like Jarmusch.

They all have something that I like about them, but Mystery Train is my absolute favorite. I don't really see that changing, but I'm looking forward to see the rest of his work. Hopefully he can surprise me with another new favorite!

You should check out Limits of Control, really slow "action" movie with a sexy supporting actress
Yeah, I'm planning on finishing his filmography this year. Don't really know what to expect from Limits of Control, but I'll let you know my opinion about it when I see it.

Mystery Train looks interesting. I need to see more Jarmusch. I've only seen three: Dead Man and Ghost Dog: Way of the Samurai, both of which I loved, and Broken Flowers, which was decent.

Great list so far, all winners here. In fact, the ones I liked the least are the ones that don't fall into my tastes but I think that everything here is really top of the line stuff, objectively speaking. Though I would place movies like Blade Runner and Grave of the Fireflies much higher on my top 100.

61. Full Metal Jacket (1987)

Full Metal Jacket is the first Kubrick film that appears on my list. Most of you will probably already know that I consider Stanley one of the most gifted directors and cinematic storytellers that ever lived on this planet, so it will come as no surprise that this is only the first of many of his films that will appear further in my list.

Exactly 30 years prior to this film, Kubrick made the very effective "anti-war" film, Paths of Glory. In that film he focused on the inhumanity of war ethics and a colonel's moral fight against a decision made by his higher officers to execute soldiers who dared to value their own lives above the good of their nation, when they refused to go further with a hopeless attack. A great and highly emotional WWI classic!

In Full Metal Jacket, Kubrick attempts to observe something more abstract and obscure. He makes the viewer experience the general 'psychology' of the young soldiers that get recruited and prepared for the Vietnam War in a boot camp training. He tries to apprehend the dehumanizing effects of war from the inside, the core, the actual soldiers and their training. Kubrick chooses one of the soldiers, Private "Joker", as the narrator and he does this in a very cynical, but effective way.

This film is famously divided in three acts. First we see the boot camp, after that we see the lives of the soldiers in Vietnam and then we see the actual 'war' at its most haunting and cruel. Many people claim that the first part is far superior to the other two parts, but although I agree that the first act is absolutely magnificent, I'm one of those people that also really appreciates and loves the scenes in Vietnam. It is in those scenes that we see the actual consummation and psychological consequences of the first act and they are also just very thrilling scenes on their own.

This film is directed by Stanley Kubrick, so it's needless to say that the film also is absolutely gorgeous to look at.

-------------------------------------

I'm one of those people who thinks the first act is the greatest, I'd also rate the second act over the third. Paths of Glory > Full Metal Jacket, though.

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Awesome list so far man. Props all around.

Suspect's Reviews

Finished here. It's been fun.
Full Metal Jacket is a great film,although its one of my least favorite Kubrick films. I tend to prefer Paths of Glory

60. Double Indemnity (1944)

Double Indemnity is yet another Billy Wilder favorite of mine! This film showcases many of my favorite aspects of the noir genre. It tells a realistic, intelligent and cruel story that exposes some of humanity's more evil sides, but it also shows the psychological consequences these immoral explorations can provoke.

Fred MacMurray is an insurance rep who is seduced by Barbara Stanwyck's femme fatale, Phyllis Dietrichson. Together they devise a plan to murder her husband and at the same time collect his life insurance (doubled). Edward G. Robinson's character, a sly insurance inspector and moreover a good friend of MacMurray's character, feels there's something wrong and subtly starts investigating the case. A thrilling, psychological game of cat and mouse unravels between the three main characters and everything slowly develops towards a poignant, climactic ending.

The story alone is already very impressive to follow, but this film also presents it all in a very interesting way. The movie's structure makes everything all the more profound. The film is completely narrated by Fred MacMurray's character (who is clearly wounded) through a tape recorder in the office of Edward G. Robinson's character. It's a very effective way of telling this story. The audience already knows from the start that something cruel is going to happen, but they don't know when and where. They also don't know the final destiny of the main character yet, because he tells the whole story in the middle of the climax, right before his fate is sealed. Also, the voice-over device works extremely well in the noir genre and this is one of the first films that shows us why. The main character is not only showing us their feelings and emotions through his acting, but he's actually observing and explaining everything to us. In a noir film, where characters often make twisty decisions and immoral moves, it's all the more interesting and enriching to hear the motives explained by the characters themselves.

Double Indemnity is an indisputable noir classic by Billy Wilder and an absolute must-see for every cinephile out there!

---------------------------------------