Cobpyth's Top 101 Favorite Feature Films

→ in
Tools    

Unusual start for me because out of 4 movies, they're all older, I've seen them all, and think they're all awesome.

I just saw you posted L.A. Confidential, one of the best movies of the last 25 years.

96. Kill Bill: Vol. 1 (2003)

I'm normally not the kind of person that is a huge fan of extreme violence or over the top action scenes (I still appreciate it from time to time), but Kill Bill: Vol. 1 is one of the exceptions for me. While watching this film, I just know that I'm in the hands of a masterful filmmaker, someone who is completely in control of his craft.
Tarantino is one of those directors that can make an ordinary story so much more interesting because of his exceptional vision and his extraordinary gift to make something as simple as walking, one billion times cooler to watch than it should be.

This first volume of the Kill Bill saga is so full of memorable and ridiculously stylized scenes that I can't help but revisiting its overblown universe from time to time when I'm in the mood for a big portion of entertaining escapism. Somehow it is extremely satisfying and refreshing to see a director with the visual skills of Tarantino make something as shamelessly and even daringly fun as this film.

This is the first Tarantino film on the list, but it should come as no surprise to most of you, that there will follow a few more.

-------------------------------

Looking forward to your list, Cobpyth. + rep for L.A. Confidential.

I really must watch Kill Bill again, as I've not sat and watch them all the way through since they were released. I'm not a big fan and Kill Bill Vol 1 was the first Tarantino film which disappointed me. I remember liking Vol 2 a lot more than Vol 1, however, with a few exceptions, I'm not a fan of the source material. The same happened with Inglorious Basterds and Django (which I still haven't seen).

95. Sweet Smell of Succes (1957)

Burt Lancaster is one of those few classic actors that dared take on risky and unusual roles for stars of his caliber and his performance as J.J. Hunsecker in this noir film is a result of one of those daring choices.

The reason why I like this film so much is first of all the wonderful noir atmosphere (in case you didn't know, I'm a huge fan of the noir genre) and second of all the outright GENIUS script. Seriously, watch this film and listen to the dialogue. You can take almost every random piece of dialogue, write it down on a piece of paper and frame it, because it's so fantastic.

Glorious film!

LA Confidential is Awesome.
Kill Bill is more than awesome, it's one of my personal favorite.
And I have rented Sweet Smell of Success I hope I'll like it

Love The Sting, LA Confidential, and Kill Bill. You should combine the volumes though, people around here love that.

Love The Sting, LA Confidential, and Kill Bill. You should combine the volumes though, people around here love that.
I thought the second wasn't as good as the first (I still like it of course), so I chose to solely include the first one. They both should be watched as a whole, of course, but they are two different films in tone for me and I also give them both a different rating.

94. Rosemary’s Baby (1968)

This Polanski picture simply is one of the very best horror films ever made. The film is so effective because everything takes place in such a rational and realistic environment that we don't even dare to think what horrifying and unbelievable events are actually happening. We start doubting ourselves, just like Mia Farrow's character constantly is doubting her own sanity throughout the whole story.

I'm also a big fan of films that portray the 'apartment life' in an interesting way as I've lived in an apartment for a big part of my youth (and probably will again in the future). Polanski perfectly exploits the paranoia and mystery that is caused by living very closely with a lot of strange people in one big building in a city where everything can happen.

Another reason why I love this film so much is because it has such a lovely '60s feeling and because of how Polanski visualized some of the more 'surreal moments'.

Very impressive film that definitely deserves its place among the most praised horror movies of all time.

93. Toy Story 3 (2010)

Pixar made some of the best American animated movies of all time during the 1995-2010 era and I bet everyone has his/her personal favorite one. Toy Story 3 is mine.

This film manages to be wildly entertaining and is full of great comedy and exciting plotlines, while still maintaining a certain overarching depth to the story that's being told.
The whole trilogy is one of the best and most original stories about the transience of existence, in my opinion, but this last entry tackles the topic in the darkest and most profound manner in the form of its villain, Lotso.
Lotso gets confronted with the reality of his own transience and uses the 'unfairness' of his fate as an excuse to act immoral. If anything (including himself) ends, morality is simply an illusion anyway. On that immoral basis and with the power that attitude offers him, he decides to pick out a few fellow toys with whom he then founds a cruel and terrorizing reign over a fragile community (in this case the toys of the Day Care).
I love it!

This film is very clever and has a lot of interesting stuff going on for kids and adults alike. It's truly one of the best family pictures I've ever seen. It's also full of inventive filmmaking and great visuals. It's a great film and I still like it as much as the first time I watched it in the cinema.

P.S. I cried at the end.

Goldfinger -
-
Sleeping Beauty -
needs a rewatch though
The Sting -
+
The Treasure of the Sierra Madre -
+
L.A. Confidential -
+