Mojo Filter's Top 10 Jim Carrey Movies

Tools    

Check out and leave comments on my previous threads listing my Top 10 Movies by John Cusack, John Travolta, Bruce Willis, Michael Keaton, Leonardo DiCaprio, Al Pacino, Tom Cruise, Sean Penn, Eddie Murphy, Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Tom Hanks, and Robert Deniro.

One of my favorite actors is...

JIM CARREY

Jim Carrey is one of the funniest and most versatile actors of our time

The following are my Top 10 Movies that starred Jim...

10. THE CABLE GUY
(Directed by Ben Stiller, 1996)

Following a string of box office comedies in the mid-90's, Jim played a sociopathic cable guy in this dark comedy who stalks the character played by Matthew Broderick. The movie was not too well received, but it has gained a cult status since.

Trailer

Movie Clip

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Looking back, I think people appreciate this film now more than they did back then. It was a dark comedy and Carrey went out there, people were taken back by it.

It's an interesting performance and definitely one of his better ones.

If I were to quickly round out a top list for me: I'll just do 5.

1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
2. Man on the Moon
3. The Truman Show
4. I Love You Philip Morris
5. Me, Myself & Irene

Suspect's Reviews

I really like, and I even liked it back then. Haven't seen it in years. I like Jim Carrey somewhat but coming up with 10 is a chore.

9. THE MASK
(Directed by Chuck Russell, 1994)

1994 was the biggest year in Jim Carrey's career. It was the year he got famous and was the star of 3 of the year's biggest films, one of which was this hilarious fantasy superhero slapstick comedy that drew the light on Jim's uncanny talent to transform himself from a sweet and shy character to a total riot.

Trailer

Movie Clip

8. LIAR LIAR
(Directed by Tom Shadyac, 1997)

Another extremely hilarious classic, and there's nobody who can match Jim when it comes to improvising physical comedy the way he does in this movie.

Trailer

Movie Clip

Jim Carrey is a big part of my childhood so i've always been terrified to revisit some of his films incase i think they are bad now, Like all three so far with The Cable Guy being my favourite.

7. ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
(Directed by Michel Gondry, 2004)

Acting-wise, this movie is one of Jim's very best. An original and moving science-fictional dramatic comedy that co-starred the always brilliant Kate Winslet, as well as Mark Ruffalo, Elijah Wood, and Kirsten Dunst. In my opinion, Jim ought to make more dramas and less comedies in the future.

Trailer

Movie Clip

6. MAN ON THE MOON
(Directed by Miloš Forman, 1999)

Jim was absolutely brilliant in his portrayal of late comedian Andy Kaufman in this classic and often overlooked biopic. He nailed Andy's mannerisms, facial expressions, and voice perfectly. In my opinion, Jim not receiving an Academy Award nomination for his performance here is one of the biggest snubs in Oscar history.

Trailer

Movie Clip

Eternal Sunshine was just ok for me, but I'd like to give it another go. I liked The Mask, but I'm not sure if I still would. I do like Liar Liar and haven't seen Man on the Moon.

5. ME, MYSELF AND IRENE
(Directed by Peter and Bobby Farrelly, 2000)

Jim collaborated with the Farrelly Brothers on some of the funniest movies ever made. This movie, in my opinion, is often overlooked but features Jim in two of his funniest characters, that of a man with a split personality.

Trailer

Movie Clip

I really liked Man On The Moon. I'm not really bothered at all by Jim Carrey, though his female co-stars usually pique my interest.

4. ACE VENTURA: WHEN NATURE CALLS
(Directed by Steve Oedekerk, 1995)

Jim rose to fame playing the weird and unpredictable pet detective Ace Ventura that spawned this equally hilarious sequel before he decided to retire the character for good. Both Ace Ventura movies have been favorites of mine since they were released, which is why they rank higher than most of his other films. I'm ranking them both as my third and fourth top movies, with the original ranking over the sequel for being more original.

Trailer

Movie Clip

3. ACE VENTURA: PET DETECTIVE
(Directed by Tom Shadyac, 1994)

Jim rose to fame playing the weird and unpredictable pet detective Ace Ventura that spawned an equally hilarious sequel before he decided to retire the character for good. Both Ace Ventura movies have been favorites of mine since they were released, which is why they rank higher than most of his other films. I'm ranking them both as my third and fourth top movies, with the original ranking over the sequel for being more original.

Trailer

Movie Clip

2. DUMB AND DUMBER
(Directed by Peter and Bobby Farrelly, 1994)

By far, the funniest film Jim has ever starred in. The chemistry between him and Jeff Daniels was perfect.

Trailer

Movie Clip

1. THE TRUMAN SHOW
(Directed by Peter Weir, 1998)

This was Jim's first attempt at a dramatic role, and his performance was outstanding. I believe he was snubbed at the Academy Awards that year for a Best Actor nomination. One of the most original and entertaining movies I've seen.

Trailer

Movie Clip

Up next, I'm considering revisiting the Music Forum for a new Top Songs list.

I'm thinking Billy Joel or Cat Stevens.

Which one of those artists would you prefer I focus on this time?