Good Will Hunting, 1997

Will - Beethoven, okay. He looked at a piano, and it just made sense to him. He could just play.
Skylar
- So what are you saying? You play the piano?
Will
- No, not a lick. I mean, I look at a piano, I see a bunch of keys, three pedals, and a box of wood. But Beethoven, Mozart, they saw it, they could just play. I couldn't paint you a picture, I probably can't hit the ball out of Fenway, and I can't play the piano.
Skylar
- But you can do my o-chem paper in under an hour.
Will - Right. Well, I mean when it came to stuff like that... I could always just play.

I'm very subjective when it comes to Good Will Hunting.
I remember seeing it for the first time with my aunt, when she was attending high school. After having watched it, I knew right then and there that I wanted to go to high school too. The movie had a huge impact on me, and even though I’m not a brilliant prodigy I related to the character of Will Hunting. The character fascinated me and, at that time, I could identify with Hunting’s anger and his feelings of being misunderstood.

This movie introduced me to Matt Damon, Ben Affleck and Robin Williams, all at once. I honestly couldn’t have wished for a better introduction. The fact that Damon and Affleck wrote this film, starred in it, and won Oscars impressed me a great deal, and it only made the movie better.
Damon’s acting impressed me even more, and he became the ‘ideal actor’ to me, at that time (I hadn’t watched that many movies, other than cartoons). It was with Damon’s performance in mind that I began taking acting classes.
Robin Williams’ character, the psychologist who doesn’t care about materialistic possessions and prestige, but merely wants to help and influence people, became my ideal view of how a psychologist ought to be (this kind of character is what Williams does best – if you don’t believe me, you should watch Dead Poets Society and Patch Adams). Williams’ character spawned my thoughts of some day becoming a psychologist myself.

This ‘review’ hasn’t been like the other reviews I’ve made. I’ve left out commenting on all the technical elements, such as the composition, symbolism etc. But when it comes to this movie, they just aren’t important to me and they have nothing to do with this movie being in my top ten list. This is the only movie, which have influenced me to this degree. When I had finished primary school I had no clue what I wanted to do. Who knows what I would’ve done, and where I would’ve been today, if this movie had escaped my attention. Maybe I would've just sat around watching movies all day. Call me nostalgic.

A rating would be pointless.