X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Gavin Hood, 2009)

I really loved the original X-Men series, yes even the third, but I’ve always like X2 the most. When I first saw the bootleg comic-con trailer for this, I immediately thought that this was going to be another X2. Sadly I turned out being really, really disappointed. When the work-print version leaked about a month ago, some really bad things had started to go around about this. I really tried to ignore all that stuff, because of how much I loved the trailer. I kind of wish that I would’ve watched that version when it leaked, though, because then I wouldn’t of had to waste my money seeing it in theaters. I even tend to like superhero movies too, so I was hoping that would help me enjoy this than most people seemed to be enjoying it. I don’t even know if I could say that it worked well as an action movie, which is actually pretty sad.

One of the main reasons that I even went to go see this was because of its action. Sadly that didn’t even turn out good. I seriously think that whoever worked on the special effect for this movie should be banned from ever doing it again. I don’t think there was a single shot in the movie that didn’t look totally fake. Even Wolverine’s claws didn’t look real, and it was pretty obvious that a lot of the scenes were shot in front of a green screen. Usually, action movies do a good job hiding that, but this one didn’t. Not only that, but they literally screwed every character, except Wolverine and Victor.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine was one of the saving points of the movie, for me. I guess I’ve just gotten used to seeing him as Wolverine because of the past X-Men movies. Liev Schreiber did a great job playing the villain, which was pretty much the best thing about the movie. He was so darn convincing as the villain, so they actually made a good choice on that one, surprisingly. I really liked seeing cameos of previous X-Men characters; well actually this would take place before all of the other movies. Cyclops and Toad were my two favorite cameos in the entire cast. I really hated how Deadpool and Gambit seemed to just get pushed out of the whole movie. I actually really like Ryan Reynolds as an actor too, so I feel that if he could’ve gotten some more screen time, it would’ve been a little bit better. The one good action scene that Gambit had was great, though, and it was probably one of my favorite scenes of the movie.

This was a pretty crappy way to start the summer off, especially after having a great movie like Iron Man starting the summer movie season off last year. Hopefully Star Trek will be able to recover for this atrocity they call a movie. It’s been getting some pretty good reviews and it just all around looks better, so I’m sure it will. I’ll probably get around sometime next weekend to seeing it. This was once my most hyped movie for the summer too, but I’m glad that changed. One of the best things about seeing this in theaters, though, was seeing the Transformers 2 trailer on the big screen. Which just happens to be my most hyped movie for the summer right now, and I’m sure that won’t disappoint. Something I have noticed is that every other Marvel movie turns out good; like Spider-Man 3 sucked, then we got a great movie like Iron Man, but then this turned out bad. This means that Iron Man 2 next summer should be great.