The Last House On The Left (Dennis Iliadis, 2009)

Now, let me start off by saying that I haven’t seen the original yet, and right now, I’m not too sure that I even want to see the original at all. I’m not saying that I didn’t like this, but some of this was pretty disturbing to watch, and I’ve heard that the original is supposed to be even worse than this. My main problem with this is that the first forty-five minutes of this were just really hard to watch. I feel that I could’ve liked this movie if those forty-five minutes would’ve been turned into fifteen minutes or so. It really could’ve worked in that amount of time too, because some of the most disturbing parts were just dragged on for so long. Luckily once it got towards the end, it seemed to turn into more of a revenge movie, and that’s when it got really great. Honestly, if the most of the movie took place during the revenge part, it could’ve gotten like an extra point towards m rating. The first half just felt so freaking long though; I was quite happy when the first half finally ended.

It was really gory though, but for some reason, I seemed to just love it. Towards the end of the movie, the gorier that it got, it just made me happier. I think that was just because that it turned into a revenge movie by the end. Something that really seemed to stick out to me was the sounds; they just completely made my cringe during some of the scenes. Some of the deaths actually sounded worse than they looked, and if you saw how these deaths looked, you’d know that it’s pretty hard to achieve. I do have to admit that this has some of the coolest death scenes I’ve ever seen; the very last death in the movie is insanely awesome, but I don’t want to say what it is because then it might not be as great if you ever get to see it. They did show most of the deaths in the trailer though, but they’re so much cooler to watch in the actual movie.

The acting for the most part really isn’t that great or anything, but seriously, what did you expect from a movie like this? Tony Goldwyn probably gives the most convincing performance of the movie, but even he’s not really great or anything. I really couldn’t stand Sara Paxton though; I mean she can’t even act, and she’s not even hot, so there was really no point in even casting her in the movie, IMO. They should’ve chose Martha MacIsaac to be Mari instead, who you may know as Becca from Superbad. She can’t really act either, but at least she’s pretty hot. I don’t why people would be going to see this for the acting though.

For the most part, I enjoyed it. I really, really liked the second half, especially the last 5 minutes. The last 5 minutes were the best part of the entire movie for me, and seeing the Drag Me To Hell trailer on the big-screen was another plus about seeing it in theaters. Personally though, if you want to see a horror movie this week sometime on the big-screen; I’d say see the Friday The 13th remake instead, if it’s still paying, because it was just way more fun to watch, IMO. This really tries to be more serious though, so I can see why this really wasn’t as fun to watch. Expect the first half to get pretty disturbing at time though, if you decide to see it that is. This is one that I think you could wait for the DVD for, unless you really want to see it before it leaves theaters.