Friday The 13th (Marcus Nispel, 2009)

I want to start off with saying that this is one of the most fun experiences I’ve ever had in the movie theater, I think it was just the crowd that was in there with me. I actually tend to like most rated R slasher movies that come out now, and I do think that this was one of the best rated R slasher movies I’ve seen in a while. I really wouldn’t classify this as horror, seeing as it wasn’t really scary one bit, it actually didn’t even make me jump once which I loved because it showed that the whole movie didn’t focus on cheap jump scares. I actually think that they only attempted one jump scare in the whole movie; sadly it didn’t make me jump because I’ve seen the ending of the original. I do want to say that this was one of the goriest movies I’ve seen in a while; I really loved it though because it just made the movie all more fun.

I guess you could say that I was hyping myself up to see this, even though I really only started hyping myself up like on Friday of this weekend. I actually wouldn’t even call it a remake at all, at least of the first which is sadly the only one of the original series that I’ve seen. The only things that were even like the original, was that they incorporated the ending of the original into the opening credits and they put the very ending of the original as the ending of this one. I hear that it was more like the second and third parts of the series though, I wouldn’t know though since I’ve yet to see them. I loved how they broke the movie up into two parts, even though the first part only lasted like 15 minutes. Everyone’s reaction in my theater to the ending of the first part was like the best part of the movie for me. Seeing the Transformers 2 trailer on the big screen was like one of the best things about seeing this though, except I imagine that it’ll be even better seeing it on an IMAX screen before Watchmen.

As far as the acting goes though, I really wouldn’t expect anything great or anything. The best thing about the cast though is Danielle Panabaker, I just find her incredibly hot. I was still a little upset that she was like the only girl out the cast that didn’t go nude, even though she’s easily the hottest out of them. As far as the rest of the cast, it’s basically unknown, yet I seemed to know who most of them are just from seeing other movies. Like Aaron Yoo, who I know best as Ronnie from Disturbia, but I’ve seen him in 21 and Nick and Nora’s Infinite Playlist as well, he somehow makes any role he’s in very funny. There’s also Ben Feldman, who I actually really haven’t seen long in a movie before, I really know him for his short role as Travis in Cloverfield. Jared Padalecki is really the other one that I seemed to know really well out of the cast, who I’ve seen in House of Wax, Cry_Wolf, and Supernatural. You really couldn’t tell if anyone was really acting that great in the movie though, because none of the cast really had enough time to show off their acting skills. One thing I didn’t like about this movie was that every time I started to really love a character, they killed them off; I should’ve guessed that since it’s a slasher movie.

Anyone who’s just looking for a completely fun time at the movies needs to get out and see this now. This is a movie that I think is just meant to be seen with a big crowd, because it just really adds to the experience of the movie. There were also some very cool death scenes in this remake, which I think is really the main thing that it has going for it. My suggestions for going to see this is to just expect a fun movie that’s not really scary, if you expect that then I think you may end up liking it as much as I did.