Song of the South (Harve Foster & Wilfred Jackson, 1946)

I'm going to put up parts of the film to let it speak for itself. First off, there are no slaves in this film. This is set during the Reconstruction, but if you honestly believe that all the former slaves were participating in a social uprising something along the lines of the 1950s/60s Civil Rights Movement, go ahead and produce your facts. If you think Disney was whitewashing the reality of the post-Civil War South by showing that some ex-slaves stayed on at the only homes they knew and actually liked the people they worked for, once again produce your evidence. I feel sick even mentioning crap like this because this film has NOTHING to do with the evils of slavery. I bet many people understand the concept of "Stockholm Syndrome", yes? Once again, this film is about how people of different colors and backgrounds actually care about and love each other. Too bad that's considered subversively racist now.

&feature=related

If anything, the white characters are shown in a far more derogtory light than Uncle Remus, Aunt Tempy and Toby. People bring to the table what they take away from the table. Since I'm bringing no racism to the table, I'm going to stop trying to defend the film. The wonderful thing about Song of the South is that it will make you cry by the humanity it shows. Yet, it also makes you laugh by the humanity it shows through the "tales of the critters" because, as Uncle Remus says, if you can't learn from tales 'bout critters, you can't learn.

EDIT: I found a brighter version of this Tale. Part 1 is above and Part 2 below. This is my fave cartoon episode, the one about the Tarbaby. Now, although I said I'd shut up about racism, I've read tons of crap on the internet about how this film promotes the concept of tarbabies as a derogatory term about African-Americans. This is one of the most blatant examples of how people attack this film with NO KNOWLEDGE whatsoever. The Tarbaby is made of tar. His entire purpose is to incapacitate Br'er Rabbit by getting all four of his limbs stuck. The fact that tar is black has nothing to do with racism. Just watch the clip. This is a FUNNY film, but I guess some people have no sense of humor. I hope you laugh. I roar at Br'er Fox and Br'er Bear in these two episodes. James Baskett (Uncle Remus) was a kind genius and well-deserving of his special Oscar. Baskett also contributes the voice of Br'er Fox.

&feature=related

This is the continuation of my fave scene. I love when Br'er Fox realizes that the Briar Patch might be the most evil way to kill Br'er Rabbit. This film is a wonderful example of how comedy and tears mix when done correctly.

&feature=related
I can add nothing to the beauty of this scene, from about 2:25-8:45.

&feature=related

Uncle Remus and Grandma are by far the wisest characters in the film, so if anybody thinks Uncle Remus is an Uncle Tom, you should back it up with your non-existent evidence.

I'm not sure anybody is actually going to check out all the links. I think the entire film is probably on You Tube if you paste it together. I don't have to do that. I have a copy off the Japanese Laserdisc. The funny thing is that during most of the songs, there are Japanese subtitles, but everything else is clear during the dialogue. I've put up about 25 minutes of the 94 minute movie. I hope you enjoy it.

P.S. According to the Internet, Cabin in the Sky is a blatantly racist film. Check it out, if you don't believe me. I don't think it is, but trust me. Every film ever made is racist and sexist to somebody. I'm sorry about that because I don't believe it myself.