Max Von Sydow

Max Von Sydow took my breath away when I watched him for the first time as Father Merrin trying to rid Linda Blair (Regan) of the “beast” that had taken possession of her. His on screen presence was magnificent and the Swedish actor has never failed to amaze me. He has played the son of God in The Greatest Story Ever Told (1965) and then switched sides later in his career in the wonderful film Needful Things (1993). His filmography is vast in deed and he is still making films as he closes in on his eightieth birthday. He is like a beacon in the dark when he enters a scene, and I am sure he is the same in person. He has a sparkle in his eyes that betray his seriousness at times, but it lends credence to his sarcasm which is one of the things I love about him. One of his favorite roles of mine is of course when he totally integrates his craft with the character Ming the Merciless in the 1980 cult classic Flash Gordon. He made his early mark on film playing in many Ingmar Bergman films including the Seventh Seal (1957) in which he played a game of chess against Death. He is one of my favorite actors and has been a roles model to me since I was very young.

Bergman himself said:

“There's an enigmatic relationship between Max and myself. He has meant a tremendous amount to me....As an actor, Max is sound through and through. Robust. Technically durable. If I'd had a psychopath to present these deeply psychopathic roles, it would have been unbearable. It's a question of acting the part of a broken man, not of being him. The sort of exhibitionism in this respect which is all the rage just now will pass over, I think. By and by people will regain their feeling for the subtle detachment which often exists between Max and my madmen."

Quotes from Max Von Sydow himself:

Bergman has a very special eye for people. His background taught him to listen and to feel.

I don't believe in devils. Indifference and misunderstandings can create evil situations. Most of the time, people who appear to be evil are really victims of evil deeds.

I think English is a fantastic, rich and musical language, but of course your mother tongue is the most important for an actor.

If Jesus came back today, and saw what was going on in his name, he'd never stop throwing up.

He is still going strong and his most recent film The Inquiry where he plays, of all things, the Roman Emperor Tiberius. I look forward to this greatly.

Birth date/Birthplace

April 10th 1929 / Lund Sweden

Favorite Movie

Flash Gordon (1980)

Least Favorite Movie

Judge Dredd (1995)

Favorite performance

Emperor Ming (Flash Gordon)/ Father Merrin (The Exorcist)

Favorite Line

As Ming in Flash Gordon:

I'd much rather see you on my side, than scattered into... atoms.”

As Leland Gaunt in Needful Things

The young carpenter from Nazareth? I know him well. Promising young man. He died badly.”

Max Von Sydow is one of the reasons I fell in love with movies at a young age. I would like to thank him and everything he has done for the industry.