Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The best "female" horror movie (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=7881)

stewprime 07-10-04 08:08 PM

The best "female" horror movie

***SPOILERS BELOW***

I was re-watching one of my favorite movies the other day and realised that I couldn't think of another movie that comes close to portraying fear and horror from a woman's perspective.

I'm not just talking about the fear of the creepy-crawlys or giving birth to some kind of monster, that has been overdone in so many movies. It's almost a cop-out nowadays to show that; a way of covering all the bases. Albeit it does play a part in the story, it's just too easy to throw that in, ya know?

What impressed me the most is how the writers and director were able to incorporate other facets like abandonment, fear of losing control, fear of the unknown, fear of the loss of a loved one, etc. into the story. Many of the deepest and darkest horrors that would affect a woman. Then at the end when *she* was the one who had to kill the person she had fallen in love with? Whoa, talk about really giving the screw an extra turn...

That, folks, is why Cronenberg's version of The Fly is in my top 3 horror movies of all time. I still can't think of another movie that comes close to hitting so many different fears told from the female perspective.

stew

Loner 07-11-04 01:44 AM

Ginger Snaps
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0210070/

OG- 12-01-04 11:12 PM

Ginger Snaps would have to steal my vote as well. As fantastic a horror movie as the Fly is, Ginger Snaps just did so many things right during a time in which everyone thought everything had either already been done to the point it couldn't be redone or that no one could possibly come up with anything new worth being new. Then Ginger Snaps came out of nowhere and proved everyone wrong.

7thson 12-02-04 12:42 AM

Carrie seems to fit the bill here, but then I am not a female.

nebbit 12-02-04 05:24 AM

uconjack 12-02-04 05:47 AM

Carrie
Bride of Frankenstein
The Exorcist
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane

But to me the scariest although most people would probably not consider it a horror film :

Fatal Attraction

nebbit 12-02-04 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by uconjack
But to me the scariest although most people would probably not consider it a horror film :

Fatal Attraction
My hsb considers it a horror movie as a similar thing happened to him, only the lady had a gun. :(

The Taxi Driver 12-02-04 05:58 PM

the exorcist or carrie

Holden Pike 12-02-04 08:18 PM

Yeah, I'd definitely put Rosemary's Baby at number one. By far. And Polanski's Repulsion would have to be in second place all by itself.

Cronenberg's The Fly is good, but look at The Brood (1979) and Rabid (1977) from him too.

Demon Seed (1977) is a bit dated but still pretty good, as is The Entity (1981).

moviefan20 12-02-04 09:30 PM

Carrie would have to get my vote.

LillyVon 12-02-04 09:37 PM

I get scared by being 'trapped' or conspiricies etc. Rosemary's Baby really frightened me. Also Stepford Wives (original) was eerie cause she was trapped. Actually Candy Man also scared me cause her husband abandoned her when she needed him.

(no, it hasn't happened to me - guess I just fear it happening!!)

Hellraiser, Exorcist, Grudge (original) and Children of the Corn are all movies I can't watch on my own - just - well - cause!!

Tacitus 12-03-04 08:01 PM

Heavenly Creatures (if that's counted as horror) :)

Loner 12-04-04 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by uconjack

Fatal Attraction
If you liked Fatal Attraction, you should check out Play Misty for Me.

Personally, I hated Fatal Attraction, especially after the unwarranted hype this film receives.

Loner 12-13-04 04:26 AM

What about Frankenhooker?

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/63...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

ash_is_the_gal 12-13-04 05:35 AM

Anyone ever seen When A Stranger Calls?
ahh, that about did it for me. made my nipples apparent in the most unpleasant way.

Chef Brian 12-13-04 10:43 PM

OK, y'all forgot to mention some classics;

Halloween with Jamie Lee Curtis
Nightmare on Elm Street with Heather Langenkamp
Creepers with Jennifer Connelly
Re-Animator with Barbara Crompton

Caitlyn 12-15-04 08:46 AM

Were any of the above mentioned movies actually written by females?

7thson 12-15-04 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal
Anyone ever seen When A Stranger Calls?
ahh, that about did it for me. made my nipples apparent in the most unpleasant way.
Naughty yet inticing...shame on you;) .

joshuafor 12-15-04 05:18 PM

Carrie or Ju on

Garrett 12-15-04 05:51 PM

The obvious choice.