Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Does anyone hate how you never see smoking in movies anymore? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60821)

ironpony 01-31-20 05:41 AM

Does anyone hate how you never see smoking in movies anymore?

I watch a lot of film noir movies and am a fan, and the smoking really adds to a the crime genre atmosphere. But you never see it anymore. Yes I know people do not do it as much nowadays but they still do more in real life, compared to movies, but it would still add to it in my opinion. What do you think?

Wyldesyde19 01-31-20 05:54 AM

Re: Does anyone hate how you never see smoking in movies anymore?

It’s funny that you bring this up because I was just thinking about this very thing last night. I may have to take a closer look at recent film to get a better idea of whether or not it’s jus tony imagination or not.
I’m not bothered by it.

ironpony 01-31-20 06:03 AM

The last movie I have seen that feels like it has a good amount was The Departed (2006). But has smoking really gone down a whole lot since 2006?

Steve Freeling 01-31-20 06:11 AM

Eh, not really. It's funny how the rating system has changed in regards to smoking, though. For a few years now, it's been in place that a film has to automatically take a PG rating if someone smokes. It's even in the rating description for When Marnie Was There.

GulfportDoc 01-31-20 10:45 AM

Smoking in films seems to have made somewhat of a resurgence. And it's true that smoking can be used in many ways to enhance dramatic effects.

There was a time --when anti-smoking was first fashionably popular-- that smoking was limited to non-existent in movies. It used to bug me during that time that movies set in the 1930s-'50s oftentimes were shown with nobody smoking, whereas probably half the population smoked then..:rolleyes:

Miss Vicky 01-31-20 10:50 AM

I personally couldn't care less.

ynwtf 01-31-20 11:10 AM

If it serves the story use it. If not, what does it matter?

John-Connor 01-31-20 11:21 AM

Try Peaky Blinders you'll love it!

Gideon58 01-31-20 11:25 AM

I don't hate it, but I definitely notice it and the contrast between contemporary films and films in the 40's and 50's where EVERYONE smoked. Maybe filmmakers feel guilt about promoting a definite health hazard, I don't know. But it doesn't change the fact that there are still a whole lot of people out there, myself included, who smoke and erasing it from the movies isn't going to change that.

Ami-Scythe 01-31-20 11:28 AM

Joker probably made your day or will make your day depending on if you've seen it lol

Holden Pike 01-31-20 11:33 AM

Does anyone hate how you never see smoking in movies anymore?
Yes. Phillip Morris International.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xT7F0eKfctg

Citizen Rules 01-31-20 12:34 PM

It seems to me that newer movies made this century have more smoking in them than those of the 80s and 90s. But if you want more smoking in a movie just set your TV set on fire:)

matt72582 01-31-20 01:43 PM

I'd guess there's more pot-smoking than cigarette smoking.

John McClane 01-31-20 01:53 PM

My cravings hit me hard when I see people smoking on screen, so big fat no from me.

hell_storm2004 01-31-20 02:48 PM

New generation, I am yet to see vaping in movies. As far as smoking goes, I don't care. Show it or not show it. Smoked for 18 years, trying to get to 0.

Stirchley 01-31-20 03:05 PM

You can always tell a non-smoker who has to smoke in a movie. The non-smoker will take a drag on the cigarette like every second. A real smoker doesn’t do this.

I don’t care if actors smoke or don’t smoke in a movie. Neutral both ways.

hell_storm2004 01-31-20 03:15 PM

The Indian movie industry a few years ago tried to smoking in movies absolutely banned. Which was a bit extreme. It got a push back from the movie makers, so now every time someone smokes on screen, there is a disclaimer that shows up on the bottom left or right, "SMOKING KILLS"!!!

ironpony 01-31-20 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2062274)
You can always tell a non-smoker who has to smoke in a movie. The non-smoker will take a drag on the cigarette like every second. A real smoker doesn’t do this.

I don’t care if actors smoke or don’t smoke in a movie. Neutral both ways.
Oh really, I see movies where the actor holds the cigarette and that's all they do, so I thought this was the sign of a non-smoker.

John McClane 01-31-20 04:33 PM

A real smoker takes a big ole drag and ghosts that ****.

Stirchley 01-31-20 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2062303)
Oh really, I see movies where the actor holds the cigarette and that's all they do, so I thought this was the sign of a non-smoker.
That too, most likely.