Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Villian Vote (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=2966)

LordSlaytan 09-10-02 12:04 AM

Villian Vote

Out of the people listed above, who's your vote for the most capable psychotic villian?

Herod 09-10-02 12:08 AM

Rutger Hauer
Not because he's the most capable, but because I just couldn't help it.

Naisy 09-10-02 12:13 AM

I can think of some better Villan's but i would have to go with Gary Oldman with this range of choices.

Holden Pike 09-10-02 12:21 AM

Stansfield alone is so delightfully odd, sweaty and over-the-top that I too had to give Oldman the edge...and given the limited choices in the poll.

"Bingo."

Yoda 09-10-02 12:28 AM

Oldman...hands down. Creepy motherf*cker.

FanBoy 09-10-02 12:37 AM

I voted for Oldman over Walken, if only b/c of the damn Continental sketch on SNL :)

Herod 09-10-02 12:51 AM

In an extremely unrelated note....

Both Gary Oldman, and Tim Roth starred in the fantastic remake of the play: Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead .

Definitley worth a rent, or, for you Aussies, a hire. :D

Holden Pike 09-10-02 01:09 AM

On a continued unrelated note, Oldman and Walken both appear in Basquiat and True Romance (the second film actually being on point, since both are villians).

Hopper is in True Romance as well of course, but not a bad guy. He is also in Basquiat, and with Tim Roth in Chatahoochee. And Hopper and Walken are both in Search & Destroy.

Fascinating, ain't it? Let's play six degrees of Walken/Roth/Oldman/Rickman/Hauer/Hopper!

On second thought, let's not.

But yeah, Tom Stoppard's Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are Dead is a must-see. If your local video stores don't stock it, at least go to the library and find a copy of the brilliant play. Such marvelous, marvelous words.

Herod 09-10-02 01:11 AM

True Romance of course, was written by Quentin Tarantino.
So theres a Harvey Keitel/Travolta/Jackson/Thurman/And everyone else connection.

It even brings you back to Walken, and Roth.

Jonny Goodboy 09-10-02 08:23 PM

Oldman hands down for me.
I feel everyone else does a solid Villain too except Hopper ...I don`t find anything remotely menacing about him at all.

Reckon John Malkovich portrayed a solid enough Villain in "In the Line of Fire" though.

Herod 09-10-02 09:19 PM

Originally posted by Jonny Goodboy
Oldman hands down for me.
I feel everyone else does a solid Villain too except Hopper ...I don`t find anything remotely menacing about him at all.
What about his role in Blue Velvet ? Or Waterworld?
Wait, no, forget I mentioned Waterworld, just Blue Velvet.

Jonny Goodboy 09-12-02 08:46 PM

Originally posted by Herodotus
What about his role in Blue Velvet ? Or Waterworld?
Wait, no, forget I mentioned Waterworld, just Blue Velvet.
Blue Velvet?...Never seen it.
Is he scary and menacing in it then?...I bet not.

Holden Pike 09-12-02 08:59 PM

Wow, you'd lose that bet.

Herod 09-12-02 09:43 PM

" Don't you look at me. "

Very menacing.

Naisy 09-12-02 11:24 PM

hmm im with Hero on this one, it just comes down to a personal opinion :yup:

Monkeypunch 09-12-02 11:32 PM

Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet is like everyone's worst nightmare. He's just vile and 100% unsympathetic. This is of course why it's such a classic movie.

Herod 09-12-02 11:39 PM

I've actually thought of an excuse for voting for Rutger Hauer.
Besides the fact that The Hitcher was a great movie.
I can remeber my reaction to Blade Runner as a child. whenever I got to the scene where Rutger is stalking Harrison Ford's character, I was scared .
I mean really, really scared.
I still kind of am whenever I watch the scene, and the transition is so amazing from Rutgers hatred to understanding, that I couldn't help but vote for him.

Great performance.

Naisy 09-12-02 11:49 PM

:yup: ill go along with that, i know what scene your talking about....freaky