Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Amy Winehouse dies at age 27 (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=26217)

Sinny McGuffins 07-23-11 04:28 PM

Amy Winehouse dies at age 27

Amy Winehouse was found dead this afternoon (FULL STORY).

She becomes the sixth famous rock and roll star to die at the young age of 27, after Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain all died at the same age.

http://blogposttoday.com/wp-content/...-Winehouse.jpg

R.I.P. Miss Winehouse, such a shame to see such a talent go to waste.

KasperKristensen 07-23-11 04:36 PM

Re: Amy Winehouse dies at age 27

Every time a young person dies is a tragedy. I can't be affected by all of them.

Yoda 07-23-11 04:54 PM

Sad stuff. Seemed like she'd been on this road for a long time.

iluv2viddyfilms 07-23-11 05:26 PM

Expected. Not a surprised at all. I enjoy her music and listened to her mainstream enterance album back in 2006 or whenever that was, but I can't get entirely heartbroken over these celebrities that "live by the sword" and then die too soon.

It's sad she won't be making music, but I wonder what she overdosed on. Immediate gratification is one hell of a strong force against us humans, and she feel victim to it, the way others have.

It's kind of odd how when people go through trials and tribulations in life, how it almost becomes a badge or a trophy to wear showing the world - whether it's cancer, drug addiction, suicide, alcoholism, war stories, and on and on and on. We define ourselves in part by our tragedys that are uncommon for the average Joe to face. In our need to feel unique/special from our fellow man we use these to achieve that. I'm guilty of it to, but still I don't know why this need exists.

She sang about going to rehab and being no good, knowing what would happen eventually, yet did not get help or was beyond help. I dunno. I can't feel much for a person I've never met - or I should say, have no connection to.

We all have celebrities that we mourn the loss or or at least feel emotional to their tragedy - James Dean Marilyn Monroe - in my case Monty Clift and Jean Seberg, but it's only on a superficial level.

akatemple 07-23-11 05:38 PM

Yeah I can't say I didn't see this coming, but it is still really sad. I really like a lot of her songs, she was very talented.

ash_is_the_gal 07-23-11 05:44 PM

i didn't really like her music at all. actually, i kinda forgot all about this chick. she kept popping up in the media awhile back when she went fast down the spiral, but there's so many of them now i didn't so much care or register it.

i know she was popular a few years ago, but didn't she only make an album or two? other than "lived hard/died young", she hardly belongs mentioned in the same sentence as Joplin, Hendrix, or Morrison.

will.15 07-23-11 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ash_is_the_gal (Post 748256)
i didn't really like her music at all. actually, i kinda forgot all about this chick. she kept popping up in the media awhile back when she went fast down the spiral, but there's so many of them now i didn't so much care or register it.

i know she was popular a few years ago, but didn't she only make an album or two? other than "lived hard/died young", she hardly belongs mentioned in the same sentence as Joplin, Hendrix, or Morrison.
Time will tell that, if we are still talking about her long after her death.

honeykid 07-23-11 10:43 PM

First thing I did when I heard was find out how old she was. She made it. 27.

Monkeypunch 07-23-11 10:55 PM

I liked her CD, it was, at one point, my most played album on iTunes. It's a damn shame she couldn't clean herself up. She had to join the "Stupid Club."

Naisy 07-23-11 11:47 PM

I dont really find this sad... maybe that's just the jackass within me. I know I regularly get told I should respect the dead, but I still don't respect Hitler, I didnt like or respect her in life, im not going to respect her the death (She made her choices and happily stayed her way). Especially over the single mother of two who can die of a terrible accident every single day without worldwide coverage. I'll have a lot more respect for the solider who gets killed fighting for freedom and only gets a six second mention on the news.

ash_is_the_gal 07-24-11 12:58 AM

i don't know, it's like... i think when people say they find her death sad, they aren't saying they respected her life or anything like that. at least, i don't think so. i think people feel sorry that people like this exist - people quite lost and unable to pick themselves up. and even especially sad that someone with quite obvious talent and potential genius to go to such waste.

i admit i could never understand anyone with such a mind frame. i don't understand people who can live their lives so extremely recklessly that they destroy themselves and any relationship or support system they might have.

and now she's dead and will never get a chance to do anything about it, ever. so yeah, that's really, really sad.

TheMightyCelestial 07-24-11 01:14 AM

Besides the much publicized addiction, I didn't know much about her other than that I really enjoyed her music. And being old skool, there aren't too many of today's artists that I can say that about.

R.I.P. Ms. Winehouse.
Small as it may be, thanx at least for the few songs that help to contribute to the enjoyment that I get from my iPod during my evening jogs.

SamsoniteDelilah 07-24-11 01:28 AM

Toss me in the "jackass" bin with Naisy. I find myself unmoved, and unsurprised. She made her choices, and it was the end of a talented voice to the rest of us, but there are many more who will gladly take her place.

ash_is_the_gal 07-24-11 01:35 AM

i admit i am neither surprised or particularly moved by this turn of events myself. when i said it was a waste of talent i was speaking extremely generally - i don't even know any of her songs and had no interest in the type of music she did, so i wasn't speaking with my own opinion. i don't have positive or negative feelings either way.

i was talking about the type of person Miss Winehouse represents more than anything - which again, she wasn't really as open a book as most people like to think. i'm sure most of us saw her plastered in the media for a lot of ****, but that hardly gives anyone any insight into what the **** was wrong with this chick or why she was unable to care enough to help herself.

that's always the case with these kinds of people. i know a few of them in my real life, too. i feel terrible more for people i know because it's more likely to affect people i care about. if i have any feelings for the likes of Amy Winehouse, or any celebrity that you would tag under the same character, it'd be that of fascination and confusion.

it's too bad that talent couldn't have been given to someone more useful.

will.15 07-24-11 02:41 AM

I don't listen to that kind of music so I don't know what the hell she sounded like, but I remember when she did an early album, or maybe the very first, the music critics getting real excited at a time when they were condemning everyone else. She was supposed to be a major breakthrough artist, but her addictions and other problems apparently prevented her from growing as an artist. At least Elvis and Michael Jackson left an impressive body of work before self destructing.

I decided to pay my respects to Amy and listen to her on youtube. What was the big deal? Singing old soul and jazz songs in an imitation black voice? The black women do it better. Did she write songs or is that all she did? Still the earliest appearances are clearly better with a stronger voice and still looking like a normal human being. Later on she is getting mighty ugly and the voice already seems shot.

TheUsualSuspect 07-24-11 03:38 AM

They tried to send her to rehab but she said no, no, no.

Bad taste?

Probably.

Then again, for someone with so much talent to throw it all away and no one be surprised at the fact that she died...it says a lot.

No sympathies for her, but sympathies for her family.

iluv2viddyfilms 07-24-11 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah (Post 748399)
Toss me in the "jackass" bin with Naisy. I find myself unmoved, and unsurprised. She made her choices, and it was the end of a talented voice to the rest of us, but there are many more who will gladly take her place.
Well I'm also in that jackass bin, so join the crowd. But I do enjoy reading honest realistic reactions instead of "Sad. She'll be missed. Now, who the **** drank my last beer in the fridge?" Because I'll earn the super jackass award for this, but really in the context of things, someone drinking the last beer is far more tragic to us as individuals than the death of a celebrity we are impartial to.

And I'll take my flogging standing up like a real man now.

Sexy Celebrity 07-24-11 06:27 AM

The thought I keep thinking in regards to Amy Winehouse's death is that she committed suicide as a way of being a member of that group of important musicians that died at age 27. Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain all died when they were 27. Now we have Amy Winehouse we can add to that list.

I personally don't think Amy Winehouse was all that important musically. I know she was very popular for awhile and received rave reviews and everyone talked about how f---ed up she was. She's been getting boo'ed for odd behavior at her concerts recently and she's even been cancelling tours because of this.

So, unless her death is determined to be something else, I suspect Amy's committed suicide. I really do. I think she wants the attention and wants to be famous for years to come. I don't know what that woman's problems were, though. Don't really care, either.

Tacitus 07-24-11 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 748421)
I personally don't think Amy Winehouse was all that important musically
I think that the girl was a sparkling talent (saw her live before all the hoo-ha) but her problems robbed her, and us, of anything resembling a legacy worth more than a handful of songs.

She seemed to stop functioning at the same creative level when her demons were at the door and when you compound that with her living in the age of media hounding even the arse-end of celebrity it meant that to a lot of people she was no more important than Jade Goody, also no longer with us.

To add further fuel to Sexy's fire, Ms Goody was also 27 when she died...

Skepsis93 07-24-11 09:57 AM

Sure, she had talent. But she decided to throw away that talent with drink and drugs. Therefore that talent means squat to me.

I don't think anyone can deny this was inevitable given her track record. It's a shame that a genuine talent has gone to waste, but I have no sympathy whatsoever for the woman herself.