Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Terminator rights to go up for auction (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=20806)

n3wt 09-29-09 08:57 AM

Terminator rights to go up for auction

Terminator producers Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek are selling their rights to the science fiction franchise.
According to the Los Angeles Times, companies owned by the pair are bankrupt and FTI Capital Advisors have been hired to "evaluate strategic alternatives".
The duo's Halcyon Holding Group's most valuable asset is the Terminator series rights, which they purchased in 2007 for around $25 million.
"We're going to be contacting a variety of studios and independent companies," said FTI senior managing director Kevin Shultz. "We think the values are considerably in excess of the purchase price."
Earlier bankruptcy court filings have the rights pegged at a $60 million valuation based on the box office performance of Terminator Salvation and its forthcoming DVD and Blu-ray release.
Anderson has claimed that Sony Pictures expressed an interest in purchasing Terminator outright, but the studio has declined to comment.

Quote from Digital Spy

n3wt 09-29-09 09:11 AM

Re: 'Terminator' rights to go up for auction

So will we ever see another Terminator movie?

Iroquois 09-29-09 09:19 AM

Judging by how the series has gone the same way of the Alien franchise (two good movies followed by two bad movies), I certainly hope not.

n3wt 09-29-09 09:25 AM

I havent seen the 4th film yet but I do hope there will be a 5th movie :yup: I love the whole robots kill huans thing :laugh:

Iroquois 09-29-09 09:28 AM

Well, I didn't think too much of the 4th film, but I reckon you'd probably like it more than I did.

n3wt 09-29-09 10:03 AM

Cool im looking forward to seeing I think it comes out after my b-day :yup:

Brother Blue 09-29-09 11:18 AM

Well, I have £4 in my pocket.

How about that?

Yoda 09-29-09 11:19 AM

Let's pool our money, MoFos.

n3wt 09-30-09 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 570775)
Let's pool our money, MoFos.
That sounds a good plan :yup:

jrs 02-09-10 03:27 PM

Terminator Rights Sold at Auction

According to Deadline Hollywood the rights were sold today during a bidding war that lasted 5 hours. Both Sony (who distributed Terminator Salvation) and Lionsgate were interested in the rights, with the latter hoping to make “a complete re-boot, back to basics, with real emotional stories, and effects that will be secondary.”

Unfortunately for both studios they were outbid…by an investment advisor.

Halcyon Holding Corp accepted the $29.5 million bid from, of all parties, the debtholder which pushed it into bankruptcy, Santa Barbara-based hedge fund Pacificor. (This is the same Pacificor whom Halcyon accused in a lawsuit of extortion, bribery, and fraud and demanded $30M in damages.)

Tonight, Sony and Lionsgate dropped out at just under $29.5 million when it became clear that Pacificor “was willing to pay almost any amount of money for Terminator,” an insider tells me. Halcyon will receive $5 million for every Terminator movie made from now on, as well as retains the rich revenue streams from the movies Terminator 3 and 4.
Ideally James Cameron would have turned up to the auction by private jet, outbid everyone for the franchise he created, and put the rights in a safe for 10 years so nobody could expolit them. Alas, some company looking to make a quick buck will be in charge of the franchise, so we can expect either a reboot or Terminator 5 over the next few years.

Source: Filmonic

lutherdclooney 07-01-10 10:04 PM

Re: Terminator rights to go up for auction

Terminator 4 sucked. A terminator 5?? suck big time.

n3wt 07-02-10 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by lutherdclooney (Post 635575)
Terminator 4 sucked. A terminator 5?? suck big time.
I wouldnt go that far :nope: Terminator 4 Imo far from sucked it was a great film and I very much enjoyed it. I would love to see another Terminator film (as long as they dont make the same mistake as T3)

will.15 07-02-10 03:17 PM

Didn't the guys who are now selling the rights buy it previously under similar conditions?

DexterRiley 07-02-10 04:57 PM

Eddie Furlong will play kyle reese in the reboot.

you heard it here first.

LuDiNaToR 08-28-10 12:04 PM

i enjoyed the 4th alot more than the 3rd so ime looking forward to a 5th.

JakeScotts 08-28-10 12:49 PM

im assuming theres gonna be another terminator franchise with the same characters from the 4th.. which was one of the shittest movies i've ever seen.

LuDiNaToR 08-28-10 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by JakeScotts (Post 666828)
im assuming theres gonna be another terminator franchise with the same characters from the 4th.. which was one of the shittest movies i've ever seen.
you must of seen some sh*t films then.

earlsmoviepicks 08-28-10 08:31 PM

I want those rights, N3wt, I'll go halves with ya.

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 570728)
Terminator producers Derek Anderson and Victor Kubicek are selling their rights to the science fiction franchise.
According to the Los Angeles Times, companies owned by the pair are bankrupt and FTI Capital Advisors have been hired to "evaluate strategic alternatives".
The duo's Halcyon Holding Group's most valuable asset is the Terminator series rights, which they purchased in 2007 for around $25 million.
"We're going to be contacting a variety of studios and independent companies," said FTI senior managing director Kevin Shultz. "We think the values are considerably in excess of the purchase price."
Earlier bankruptcy court filings have the rights pegged at a $60 million valuation based on the box office performance of Terminator Salvation and its forthcoming DVD and Blu-ray release.
Anderson has claimed that Sony Pictures expressed an interest in purchasing Terminator outright, but the studio has declined to comment.

Quote from Digital Spy

n3wt 08-30-10 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by earlsmoviepicks (Post 667039)
I want those rights, N3wt, I'll go halves with ya.
Sorted man ;) We would make an awesome T5 :yup:

LuDiNaToR 08-31-10 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by n3wt (Post 667865)
Sorted man ;) We would make an awesome T5 :yup:
would yas get arnie back.