Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Name me some movies... (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=15563)

AmyLovesYou 03-27-08 01:23 PM

Name me some movies...

I was always interested in the shows that dealt with the baddest murderers, killers, serial killers, because i am fascinated to know what happens in these people's minds! Like what possesses them to commit these crimes you know? Which one do you think is the most profound or just plain sicko??

Holden Pike 03-27-08 01:26 PM

Re: Name me some movies...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:...ller_CD004.jpg
Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer

CaptainCrunch 03-27-08 02:18 PM

I'm not sure! I am addicted to watching Law & Order, America's Most Wanted with Jim Walsh, and this new special about the Green River Killer-- he is completely insane i think!! There was a book out about him and now they're doing a movie!

rufnek 03-27-08 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by AmyLovesYou (Post 423629)
I was always interested in the shows that dealt with the baddest murderers, killers, serial killers, because i am fascinated to know what happens in these people's minds! Like what possesses them to commit these crimes you know? Which one do you think is the most profound or just plain sicko??
If by profound you mean having intellectual depth and insight, that doesn't fit any of the many killers I've seen while covering the police beat and courts. I've never seen a really smart criminal; they may be crafty and usually are egotistical and sometimes lucky, but not intellectual. And all of the killers I've ever seen under arrest or at trial were emotional cripples and in some cases, possibly crazy by normal standards.

I'm not sure you can learn much about killers through the movies, since playwrights and directors often take liberties in changing the facts of the crime, as in Bonnie and Clyde which made a couple of unattractive losers seem good-looking and fun-loving.

However, in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Bogart does a great job in portraying a man's change from friend to would-be killer. If you want to see how a punk thief evolves into a cop-killer, read The Onion Field. They made a movie from that book but left out a lot of detail that gives you some insight into the character of the killer and his accomplice, especially the use of sex to get around a safety threat.

Caitlyn 03-27-08 02:57 PM

Ed Gein (2001)

Monster (2003)

nykmgr 03-27-08 04:27 PM

Are you looking for Killers in Movies or real life?

Movie Killers there are two that you would probably enjoy Hannible Lecture of the Silence of the Lambs series and American Psycho.

Real life wackos just to name a few...

Ed Gein was a complete wacko so wacko that he was deemed to wacko to stand trial... A lot of movies have been based on this wacko...

Jeffery Dahmer he was a true wacko. If you like Wacko's he is one of the wackiest...

Joel Rifkin is another wacko who was not man enough to face his problems and let his wackoness take over...

Swedish Chef 03-27-08 04:41 PM

I think you should check out The Minus Man. Tremendous study of an endlessly fascinating, bloodthirsty individual. Owen Wilson may not seem like an actor who could handle this sort of character, but he's flawless in that flick. A great performance in a great movie. Though if you're looking for exactly what makes a serial killer tick, you might just wind up being frustrated with it. The greatest strength of the film is leaving the motives of Owen Wilson's character so ambiguous. He's a laid back murderer who never seems to have a rhyme or reason for his actions. Very chilling and very disturbing.

Check it out.

http://a.movies.com/images/movies/t/...usman_1999.jpg

Serpico 03-27-08 07:20 PM

Helter Skelter
Ed Gein
Silence of the Lambs
Alfred Hitchcock's Psycho
American Psycho

Lennon 03-27-08 07:33 PM

Friday the 13th
Friday the 13th part 2
Friday the 13th part 3
Friday the 13th part 4
Friday the 13th part 5
Friday the 13th part 6
Friday the 13th part 7
Friday the 13th part 8
Friday the 13th part 9
Friday the 13th part 10

droo_face 03-27-08 10:09 PM

WITHOUT ANY DOUBT....American Psycho =]

http://www.tagbanger.com/wp-content/...icanpsycho.jpg

mark f 03-27-08 10:24 PM

Psycho
Psycho II
Psycho III
Psycho IV: The New Beginning

I think it's all there in the script/source material of the original, but I actually enjoy this series.

wonderwall 03-28-08 01:58 PM

oh i would suggest the green river killer movie on the lifetime movie network - theyre playing it on sunday night at 9pm and btw american psycho was such a weirdddddddd movie!!!

film_days xYz 03-29-08 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by Caitlyn (Post 423669)
Monster, definitely one of the most insightful. I think this film just really helped, at least me realize how much can cause a person to do something ludicrous. It just goes to show that the hardships a person experiences really affect the decisions they make in the future. I find it pretty profound actually, I started feeling for this mass murderer, you can actually imagine this person's turmoil. Anyone who goes through that much corruption in their lifetime it almost seems surefire that they will be extremely corrupted once they grow (although not necessarily).

And it actually gives you her direct motives, and you see these are not only based on years of feeling hate from outsiders, but also directly from the love she felt for another. It's pretty twisted, but it's just amazing to actually feel you know this type of thing. This has to be one of the best, at least pertainig to a particular person.

wonderwall 03-31-08 02:07 PM

oh totally.. and its story won all those oscars because of its dramatics ya know..

part 2 of green river killer is on tonight ;) cannot wait to watch it on lmn

rufnek 03-31-08 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by film_days xYz (Post 424255)
Monster, definitely one of the most insightful. I think this film just really helped, at least me realize how much can cause a person to do something ludicrous. It just goes to show that the hardships a person experiences really affect the decisions they make in the future. I find it pretty profound actually, I started feeling for this mass murderer, you can actually imagine this person's turmoil. Anyone who goes through that much corruption in their lifetime it almost seems surefire that they will be extremely corrupted once they grow (although not necessarily).

And it actually gives you her direct motives, and you see these are not only based on years of feeling hate from outsiders, but also directly from the love she felt for another. It's pretty twisted, but it's just amazing to actually feel you know this type of thing. This has to be one of the best, at least pertainig to a particular person.
I've never yet seen a criminal under arrest or on trial who didn't have a story about how fate conspired against them to bring them to the such a low point. Some seem fairly reasonable, sometimes almost believeable until you stop and think about how many people suffered so much worse and yet never robbed, never killed.

Sure, society may sometimes contribute; so can heredity, lack of education, and many other factors. But most of the people who grew up in Hell's Kitchen did not turn to crime. Plenty of people lacked proper school, but some taught themselves to read and became successes in the business world. As for heredity, Al Capone had one brother who died in the Chicago crime wars, but he had another brother who was a respected lawman in another community. Texas gunman John Wesley Hardin was the son of a Methodist preacher and the brother of an attorney, both of whom were lynched by a mob after Hardin killed a popular deputy in Comanche, Texas, and escaped.

If it only took hate, injustice, and hard treatment to produce a criminal or killer, every one of the millions freed from German death camps after World War II should have become a mass murderer. Every GI who comes home from war, should be a potential gunman.

Criminals make excuses for their actions; few ever own up to the fact they made the choice to rob and kill. And movies seldom show the dirty side of their outlaw subjects.

jimmy's One 04-01-08 06:13 AM

Peeping Tom

an older film from 1969

Sir Toose 04-01-08 12:30 PM

Due to my obsessive nature I know probably too much about the so called 'Helter Skelter' murders of 1969.

If you want an extremely interesting look into that subject find this DVD:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...254df6c4bc.jpg

Undoubtedly, you'll learn some things you never knew about the case.

linespalsy 04-01-08 01:09 PM

While not the goriest or "sickest" one, Vengeance is Mine is the best film about a "real life" killer, his family and his pathological behavior that I've ever seen. It's a pretty sad movie.

http://www.mcnblogs.com/mcindie/arch...0is%20mine.jpg

Has Heavenly Creatures been mentioned? Peter Jackson's best film IMO.

http://www.sensesofcinema.com/images..._creatures.jpg

Tortuga 04-01-08 01:17 PM

I've always been fascinated by the granddaddy of all serial killers, Jack the Ripper; the Ripper's story has been fallow ground for filmmakers. His identity was never discovered, so there was a lot of room for "artistic license."

A number of films have been made theorizing on various possibilities as to the Ripper's identity:
  • The Lodger (various versions, although the 1927 Hitchcock is considered the definitive)
  • Murder by Decree (1979)
  • Time After Time (also 1979)
  • Jack the Ripper (TV Movie, 1988)
  • From Hell (2001)

CaptainCrunch 04-01-08 04:36 PM

green river killer was by far the craziest movie i've seen yet and all those svu, law & order epis are just as intense!