Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Most nonsensical rating (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=13326)

Yoda 05-10-07 09:17 PM

Most nonsensical rating

The MPAA's inconsistencies in rating films for their content is well-documented. Personally, I think a degree of inconsistency is inevitable in such a situation. Regardless, there are still some ratings that make moviegoers scratch their heads, either because they can't figure out just what was supposed to be offensive or graphic about what they just saw, or because they can't understand why such-and-such was allowed in a PG/PG-13 film.

What ratings stand out to you MoFos as being the most nonsensical?

PrometheusFG 05-10-07 09:53 PM

Re: Most nonsensical rating

Honestly, the ratings that stand out the most to me are the ones given to films with mature themes as in subject matter. The films I am referencing are the films that have absolutely zero instances of adult content yet because the film is about a man who works for the United States government the film recieves an R rating simply due to it's adult mind oriented backdrop/setting/character.

PimpDaShizzle V2.0 05-11-07 01:22 AM

The movie Hackers is rated PG-13 and has A. Jolie's ta-tas in all their glory - when she was hot. I LOVE IT!

"It's got a 28.8 modem!"

SamsoniteDelilah 05-11-07 03:02 AM

The Breakfast Club... rated R.
d'oh!

Piddzilla 05-11-07 10:31 AM

The Passion of the Christ

Rated R. If you compare it to The Breakfast Club, for instance, the rating system becomes very confusing.

nebbit 05-11-07 08:00 PM

I heard today that they are thinking of giving movies with soking in them an R rating :yup:

PimpDaShizzle V2.0 05-11-07 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 369486)
I heard today that they are thinking of giving movies with soking in them an R rating :yup:
Smoking? Soaking? Is soking something that's done in Australia? What am I missing?

nebbit 07-17-07 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by PimpDaShizzle V2.0 (Post 369487)
Smoking? Soaking? Is soking something that's done in Australia? What am I missing?
Um :blush: Yes, I was missing the m from smoking :blush:

SpyderMike 07-20-07 04:55 AM

it's garbage...the mpaa needs to be thrown out. has anyone here seen "this film is not yet rated"

PrometheusFG 08-29-07 03:22 PM

Yea, I saw that film. It was pretty damn interesting.

michaelcorleone 08-29-07 03:24 PM

So many ridiculous ratings, but the one that stands out is The Fountain. When it was originally released, it was rated R for "Some Violence". What???

Sedai 08-29-07 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah (Post 369406)
The Breakfast Club... rated R.
d'oh!
First off: Wow, awesome avatar.

RE: Breakfast Club: I am pretty sure it would have been well into the PG-13 category if it was released just a bit later than it was. The first film to use a PG-13 when it hit theaters was Red Dawn, if my memory serves. Although, I am pretty sure Temple of Doom is the first film to actually have the rating applied to it, but after the theater run...or maybe it was just the final straw... Can't quite recall...

IMO, Club is firmly in the PG-13 area of content...

TheUsualSuspect 08-29-07 07:44 PM

Mash

m0dern_pr0phet 08-30-07 04:16 AM

There was a big issue with Scarface (1983) when it went for rating review. They kept knocking it back stating it had too much swearing and drugs and what not to be given even an R rating. They ended up winning some court case which allowed the movie to be released untouched. Good news for us I guess but again, useless rating procedure considering there are much worse movies out there these days.

Escape 09-02-07 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 369486)
I heard today that they are thinking of giving movies with smoking in them an R rating :yup:
Yes. Wasn't it Disney who suggested this? I believe it was directed 'only' for the family oriented films though. I dunno, I could understand that to a degree so long as it's not every film. Impressionable little kiddies who think it's cool and all you know. ..........Just my two cents. :modest:

SamsoniteDelilah 09-03-07 02:24 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 381608)
First off: Wow, awesome avatar.

RE: Breakfast Club: I am pretty sure it would have been well into the PG-13 category if it was released just a bit later than it was. The first film to use a PG-13 when it hit theaters was Red Dawn, if my memory serves. Although, I am pretty sure Temple of Doom is the first film to actually have the rating applied to it, but after the theater run...or maybe it was just the final straw... Can't quite recall...

IMO, Club is firmly in the PG-13 area of content...
Thanks.

Great point - though in my memory the new rating came out just before. It's possible even if it did, that they weren't comfortable using it yet? (Had to check, your post made me curious: both THe Breakfast Club and PG-13 ratings came out in 1984. Nearly simultaneous.)

I agree.

Iroquois 09-03-07 05:14 AM

A lot of nonsense comes from comparing Australian ratings to American ratings. Movies that get an R rating in America can get an M15+ (ie recommended for, but not limited to, people over 15), MA15+ (restricted to people over 15) and R18+ (restricted to people over 18). So...

Australian M = American PG-13/ American R
Australia MA = American R
Australia R = American R/ American NC-17

So the American R rating seems incredibly broad in comparison to the Australian ratings.

As for individual examples, I'm going to go with Smokin' Aces getting an R18+. It was kinda nasty, but nowhere near an R18+ level.

Tacitus 09-03-07 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by m0dern_pr0phet (Post 381775)
There was a big issue with Scarface (1983) when it went for rating review. They kept knocking it back stating it had too much swearing and drugs and what not to be given even an R rating. They ended up winning some court case which allowed the movie to be released untouched. Good news for us I guess but again, useless rating procedure considering there are much worse movies out there these days.
It had an 18 rating here (or maybe Cert X at the time) and remember because it was the first film I rented on video. I was 12 at the time so obviously the long arms of the BBFC couldn't reach West Tyrone.

With hindsight they should have implemented a new VO rating for Scarface. I'll let you work out what it stands for...

I can remember Reservoir Dogs being refused a rating here for a while, same thing happened with Straw Dogs, Bad Lieutenant and countless others. All that succeeded in doing was increasing the amount of pirate copies in circulation. I know 'cos I had them. ;)

kcurrin 02-18-08 05:13 PM

It's interesting to see how much the rating and content in movies has change over just the past few years.

Swedish Chef 02-20-08 12:17 AM

School of Rock getting a PG-13 was really a travesty. A wonderful movie that is more than appropriate for children of all ages is made unavailable to half of them.

Fantastic.