Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   What are the weirdest movies you've chosen for essays/assignments? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=66478)

mattiasflgrtll6 07-09-22 07:24 PM

What are the weirdest movies you've chosen for essays/assignments?

In university I had two that are not necessarily the most bizarre movies in the world, but probably uncommon in these kind of contexts. I used a scene from Friday The 13th Part VIII: Jason Takes Manhattan as part of an analysis in diegetic/non-diegetic sound.

Then on a different occasion I used a scene from a Viktor Taransky movie in S1m0ne (A.k.a. movie-within-a-movie) to talk about how much color plays into the mood of a scene.

And this wasn't part of an assignment, but we occasionally had movie nights after school, where people could come with suggestions. I decided to go with Begotten. Few people showed up to begin with, and of those who did most walked out after the first 10 minutes. One single person stayed, and told me afterwards how cool he thought the experience was.

AgrippinaX 07-10-22 05:27 AM

The others I wouldn’t bat an eyelash at, but Begotten, dear me. I salute you - would have applauded if I was there.

I have a theology degree, and I always, without exception, referenced horror for all my assignments. I don’t know what my peers thought, as I was always a loner, but the lecturers seemed to think it was fair enough, as the link between horror and religion is perhaps stronger than any other genres.

ThatDarnMKS 07-10-22 05:48 AM

I once wrote an essay on the subversive politics of Iron Man 3 and it’s use of Orientalism in its depiction of the Mandarin as a tool to deceive the American public.

Got an A.

Does that count?

crumbsroom 07-10-22 10:56 AM

I took one film class and never handed in any assignments, so I blew my chance to discuss the importance of eyeballs, and their immediate desecration, in Fulci films.

I would have scored a zero. So I've no doubt my time at the campus pub was better spent.

SpelingError 07-10-22 11:59 AM

Re: What are the weirdest movies you've chosen for essays/assignments?

I wrote an analysis on Eraserhead a while ago, so that one.

Citizen Rules 07-10-22 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2315352)
I wrote an analysis on Eraserhead a while ago, so that one.
I like to read that, did you post it here? I once wrote a review that was an analysis on Eraserhead..so I'm always interested in hearing people's other takes on that film.

SpelingError 07-10-22 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2315378)
I like to read that, did you post it here? I once wrote a review that was an analysis on Eraserhead..so I'm always interested in hearing people's other takes on that film.
I have it on Google Drive right now. I could probably post it here once I read through it again and make any edits if I need to (it also wouldn't hurt to rewatch the film first).

KeyserCorleone 07-10-22 02:42 PM

Re: What are the weirdest movies you've chosen for essays/assignments?

Tetro is a pretty weird one. I wrote an essay for it last month. It's got very heavy usage of symbolism, most of which has to do with the director's (Coppola's) past.

KeyserCorleone 09-28-22 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Other than weird movies in general, here's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen on Letterboxd. Read his description and then look at the movies, organized by popularity.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89098

MovieGal 09-28-22 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2315327)
The others I wouldn’t bat an eyelash at, but Begotten, dear me. I salute you - would have applauded if I was there.

I have a theology degree, and I always, without exception, referenced horror for all my assignments. I don’t know what my peers thought, as I was always a loner, but the lecturers seemed to think it was fair enough, as the link between horror and religion is perhaps stronger than any other genres.
Gosh it's been over a decade since I watched Begotten. Maybe I will revisit some time soon.

beelzebubble 09-28-22 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by KeyserCorleone (Post 2336216)
Other than weird movies in general, here's one of the weirdest things I've ever seen on Letterboxd. Read his description and then look at the movies, organized by popularity.

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...chmentid=89098
Man the old ladies love that stuff! I used to watch Hallmark with my mom. It is very fricking popular.

FrederickOsbor 10-16-22 07:21 AM

Hi everybody. Thanks for sharing your ideas. I have never had to write an essay on a film, but if I were given such a task, then most likely I would choose a fantastic genre of cinema.