Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Gangs of London (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60905)

MonnoM 02-12-20 10:52 PM

Gangs of London

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZRVEFtHaHc

John McClane 05-04-21 06:39 PM

Has anyone else watched this show? I’m on episode 6 now and I love it. Some really fantastic camera work and cinematography.

Stirchley 05-05-21 02:05 PM

Never heard of it. Looks rather ghastly, I must say. I think I would either love this or hate it.

Is it realistic like Gomorrah’s depiction of Naples? Or is it all invented for the sake of the series?

John McClane 05-05-21 03:10 PM

Re: Gangs of London

I've never been to London, so I can't say for sure. But one thing that always strikes me about British shows/movies is how tiny the houses/apartments are even when they are considered "big" by London standards. So I suppose, in that regard, it is pretty accurate.

And yes, it is quite ghastly. Gruesome as all get out.

Stirchley 05-05-21 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2201579)
I've never been to London, so I can't say for sure. But one thing that always strikes me about British shows/movies is how tiny the houses/apartments are even when they are considered "big" by London standards. So I suppose, in that regard, it is pretty accurate.

And yes, it is quite ghastly. Gruesome as all get out.
Depends on the neighborhoods. When I lived in London I don’t recall thinking how tiny the real estate is.

If you want to see tiny, go live in NYC. :)

cricket 05-05-21 06:43 PM

Hmmmm I think I'd like to try this

John McClane 05-06-21 11:00 PM

I just finished. And want the 2nd season now.

Crazy good television.

Stirchley 05-19-21 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2202000)
I just finished. And want the 2nd season now.

Crazy good television.
I’m struggling to get through the pilot. I need to go back to the beginning & start again.

There’s so many characters & I’m confused by the black & white family.

I hated the pilot of Gomorrah, but went back to watch it & became addicted to the show. Hoping this will happen with Gangs of London.

John McClane 05-19-21 02:22 PM

@Stirchley:

Yeah, there's quite a lot going on. That's why I liked it so much. Straight forward television bores me.

And it's actually two separate families, but they so chummy they act like one. I swear it gets good around episode 3.

Stirchley 05-19-21 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2205463)
@Stirchley:

Yeah, there's quite a lot going on. That's why I liked it so much. Straight forward television bores me.

And it's actually two separate families, but they so chummy they act like one. I swear it gets good around episode 3.
I gotta get back to the pilot then. I absolutely hated the pilot of The Shield, but gave it another shot & was addicted to this great show.

John McClane 05-19-21 02:37 PM

The Shield had the best ending of any television I have seen in recent memory. That show, from beginning to end, was a freaking masterpiece. I get goosebumps when I think about it.

Stirchley 05-19-21 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by John McClane (Post 2205483)
The Shield had the best ending of any television I have seen in recent memory. That show, from beginning to end, was a freaking masterpiece. I get goosebumps when I think about it.
Yes, it sure did. What I liked was that what Vic did at the beginning of the show was what brought him down at the end of the show.

Loved the very sad arc of Walt Goggins & his wife & child.

xSookieStackhouse 05-20-21 11:40 AM

i never watched the show but i loved the movie gangs of new york

TONGO 12-22-22 04:59 PM

Halfway thru season 2. Elliott is the love child of Shaft and James Bond. Blackgyver! :)

John McClane 12-22-22 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2355240)
Halfway thru season 2. Elliott is the love child of Shaft and James Bond. Blackgyver! :)
that bar fight from season 1 was so epic, glad to see they made him this lone skilled fixer for season 2

doubledenim 10-03-23 09:46 AM

Showed my gf the pilot last night, even though we are spose’ to be watching The Bear 🙄

I’m on the fence on whether the guy playing Sean is a good actor or not, but that doesn’t dampen anything for me.

We were talking this morning about how I don’t actively seek out gore and violence. What works is how it immerses the viewer in the brutality of the world. The “making of the sausage” contrasted with the tailored clothes and luxury afforded by it.

Another part that strikes me is the sound design. Reminds me of Dark and The English in the way it evokes feeling.

Can’t recommend it enough, even if I have to experience Billy’s bacchanals 😳🫢

WHITBISSELL! 10-03-23 04:25 PM

Decided to give this a try this after all the discussions. Five episodes in and it's not too bad. You can tell from the fight scenes that it's a Gareth Evans production. Umm, let's see. Things I noticed. CGI birds flying around in the background in several scenes. And Elliot just blurting out that he's a UC while talking with his handler, the Asian woman. That alley might have looked deserted but it still rang a little false. The families celebration dinner was a little over the top as well. The mom trying to hustle the kid out of the room and walking in on Billy. These are piddly little complaints I suppose. I'm gonna keep watching.

doubledenim 10-03-23 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by WHITBISSELL! (Post 2415408)
Decided to give this a try this after all the discussions. Five episodes in and it's not too bad. You can tell from the fight scenes that it's a Gareth Evans production. Umm, let's see. Things I noticed. CGI birds flying around in the background in several scenes. And Elliot just blurting out that he's a UC while talking with his handler, the Asian woman. That alley might have looked deserted but it still rang a little false. The families celebration dinner was a little over the top as well. The mom trying to hustle the kid out of the room and walking in on Billy. These are piddly little complaints I suppose. I'm gonna keep watching.
The Billy Boardroom scene struck me as ridiculous, at first. Then I started thinking they are foreshadowing him doing something that pardons the behavior. Saved the dad, saved the brother, etc. There is no high functioning family that is going to tolerate that blatant type of behavior. Smoking a little pot, maybe a 🔑 bump on New Year’s Eve, but not needles imo.

He was already shown to be the dominant brother in the buckethead scene, so…

John McClane 10-03-23 07:15 PM

the whole point of that bucket scene was that it messed Billy up. hence why he’s a junkie and isn’t allowed to do shit with the family business.

doubledenim 10-03-23 07:23 PM

I haven’t even watched 5-6 episodes, so 😝

Showing how Sean reacts when stuff hits the fan made me hope for more Billy Bathhouse backstory.