Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   20th Century Fox Sued for Text Spam (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=20652)

jrs 09-12-09 03:49 PM

20th Century Fox Sued for Text Spam

20th Century Fox Sued for Text Spam

A complaint was filed today against 20th Century Fox for unauthorized text message advertising of upcoming films.

Victor Lozano is suing FoxStore, a Twentieth Century Fox Film Corporation company, for unauthorized text messages, or "wireless spam," such as "GEAR UP 4 THE HILARIOUS ANIMATED FILM ROBOTS ON DVD @FOXSTORE.COM."

The complaint states that "Defendants caused actual harm, not only because consumers were subjected to the aggravation that necessarily accompanies wireless spam, but also because consumers frequently have to pay their cell phone service providers for the receipt of such wireless spam."

The complaint seeks an injunction requiring defendants to cease the wireless spam as well as statutory damages to the class (defined as anyone who has received one of these messages).

Read the complaint here

Source Chicago Now

rice1245 09-12-09 03:53 PM

Re: 20th Century Fox Sued for Text Spam

Well that's unfortunate for them

jrs 09-12-09 04:04 PM

yeah.. i wouldnt want that happening to me either. I get enough of unsolicited crap myself. lol

Lex87 03-25-10 06:06 PM

I know what you mean, it gets ridiculous some times! Too bad for them though.

will.15 03-25-10 06:26 PM

I think this an outrage and a frivolous lawsuit. Twentieth Century fox is god and should do whatever they like. Oh, I'm sorry. I thought today was the first of April.

Plainview 03-26-10 12:07 AM

I get randomly selected as a winner of a free trip daily. I must be a lucky guy. I rather just win the lottery.....

meatwadsprite 03-26-10 01:30 AM

So they have to pay 10 cents to how many different people ?

lutherdclooney 07-01-10 09:56 PM

Though Fox should not have sent those mssages - then a fine from teh government would have sufficed.

tucsonmovies 07-28-10 08:41 PM

Hmm. Maybe it serves them right! I just realized now with my new cell phone number I never get stupid text messages anymore from companies like that. It's refreshing!

will.15 07-28-10 08:56 PM

I win lots of free stuff from Walmart, but I never click to receive.

There was a time when everytime I got on the internet a disembodied voice would say, "You won this," but there wasn't anything to click to win. I guess what I won was the disembodied voice.

Juno MacGuff 07-28-10 09:04 PM

I once won a car and the text read to get your keys click here. I was afraid to click click it because I thought my phone would explode then I would be out the phone and the car.