Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why are list channels so ****ing boring? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=57590)

mattiasflgrtll6 08-11-18 10:09 AM

Why are list channels so ****ing boring?

Whether it's the try-hard "comedy" of WhatCulture, the colorless nature of Looper, the irritating tabloid-esque Screen Rant or the absolute king of bad list channels WatchMojo, they all share one thing in common:
A lack of passion.

Either they misread or make up what they perceive as public opinion (Putting Gravity Falls on a list of Most Hated Disney Shows when it's almost unequivocally adored), or they get so godawfully repetitive it's unbearable.
YES, WhatCulture. I get it. You hate Adam Sandler.
YES, WatchMojo. I get it. You think Songs Of The South is the most racist movie ever made.
YES, Screen Rant. I get it. You think everything has some "subliminal message" everyone has missed.

It's so factorly made and vapid that if I watch too many of these type of videos in a row (because that's the worst thing about them, they're addictive despite their poor quality), I feel stupider afterwards. My brain gets numb.

I finally gave up on WatchMojo after years of going back to them way too often, but I still find myself watching the same ol' WhatCulture videos with grating music and forced commentary.

But why is it like this? Why are good list channels seemingly impossible to find?

And I'm not just talking movies either. Even AllTime10s has gotten much worse in its recent years, recycling the same topics and even getting facts wrong sometimes.

Loner 08-11-18 11:19 AM

WatchMojo is lazy, ignorant, or just wrong.

Like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUW_2rWyK2Q
Top 10 Movie Snipers

#9 The Jackal

Has anybody at WatchMojo actually seen The Day of the Jackal? He's one of the worst movie snipers!

WARNING: "The Day of the Jackal" spoilers below
He misses his target (Charles de Gaulle) and gets killed.

mattiasflgrtll6 08-11-18 11:52 AM

I forgot to mention, the various contradictions as well (I guess we're talking about WatchMojo mostly now). They will claim Nicki Minaj is good enough she deserves a top 10 songs list, and in the next video she'll be total trash. In one list they praise Borat for its provocative but clever comedy, in another they act like "Oh, it's so offensive and wroooooooong". Pick a freakin' side.

HashtagBrownies 08-11-18 11:54 AM

Re: Why are list channels so ****ing boring?

What's your opinion on Cinefix? I think their Top 10 videos can be quite interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/user/CineFix/videos

Yoda 08-11-18 11:55 AM

They're boring because those types of lists are written explicitly because they can't think of a better thing to do.

Miss Vicky 08-11-18 12:11 PM

Do you regularly watch these sorts of videos? Why?

I mean, I've seen a few but I typically only watch when I'm really bored.

Iroquois 08-11-18 12:12 PM

I guess the obvious answer is quantity-over-quality clickbait.

If you do want a good list channel, I recommend CineFix. Here is the full playlist for their list-themed videos, and while they do touch on a lot of the usual "Top 5 ____ of All-Time" kind of topics, they mix it up in ways that actually explore filmmaking technique (see the "Shots" and "Editing" videos) that actually offer insightful commentary and well-researched picks (you've got to love a channel that made a running gag out of how much they love The Mirror). They've certainly become a favourite channel of mine for those reasons.

EDIT: heh, too slow.

Gatsby 08-11-18 12:17 PM

List channels have always been horrible. They create the most bland, boring, and inoffensive-as-possible content for the sole purpose of maximizing content. There are 99 things you can do at the moment, but watching Top 10 videos ain't one of them.

Powdered Water 08-11-18 01:07 PM

I've been watching some of those Cinefix: 7 Things you (Probably) didn't know about vids about specific movies. I've learned some pretty cool factoids lately.

Citizen Rules 08-11-18 01:12 PM

List channels? I have zero idea of what that is. Some sort of video opinion on what to watch? If so no thanks.

Powdered Water 08-11-18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1933916)
List channels? I have zero idea of what that is. Some sort of video opinion on what to watch? If so no thanks.

Yeah, I mean, there's quite a few of them, really. Just the straight lists are pretty repetitive. But there's lots of channels out there.

Here's one of those 7 things vids I watched recently about

Spaceballs. If that last bit about the title of the movie is true... that's hysterical and hadn't heard it before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIk6Zr4nnXU

Miss Vicky 08-11-18 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1933916)
YouTube channels that post nothing but top ten (or top whatever) lists.

WatchMojo, for example, is one of the bigger ones. Just today they posted a "Top 10 R-rated Super Hero Movies" video and a "Top 10 Craziest Car Stunts in Movies" video.

mattiasflgrtll6 08-11-18 01:23 PM

You know what kind of lists I DO love? The ones Siskel and Ebert used to make back in the day. Good times.

Citizen Rules 08-11-18 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1933918)
YouTube channels that post nothing but top ten (or top whatever) lists.

WatchMojo, for example, is one of the bigger ones. Just today they posted a "Top 10 R-rated Super Hero Movies" video and a "Top 10 Craziest Car Stunts in Movies" video.
Thanks, ahh I see now. You know what I watch on Youtube? old vintage TV commercials, they're fun.

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 1933922)
You know what kind of lists I DO love? The ones Siskel and Ebert used to make back in the day. Good times.
I use to watch Siskel and Ebert back in the day. Sometimes I'll look up an old review from Ebert. I haven't found any for Siskel though:(

costello97 08-11-18 01:32 PM

People are easily baited to those kind of videos, easy money I would say..jeez, they make top 10 on every possible topic, watchmojo posted "top ten youtube channels with eating chalanges", really? Who cares?

Miss Vicky 08-11-18 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1933926)
Thanks, ahh I see now. You know what I watch on Youtube? old vintage TV commercials, they're fun.
I think you would despise the kind of stuff I usually watch on YouTube, except maybe the aquarium keeping videos. :laugh:

Citizen Rules 08-11-18 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1933928)
I think you would despise the kind of stuff I usually watch on YouTube, except maybe the aquarium keeping videos. :laugh:
Probably.

I should check out some aquarium landscaping videos, some of the photos I've seen are amazing, I haven't ever watched a video though.

mattiasflgrtll6 08-11-18 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1933926)
I used to watch Siskel and Ebert back in the day. Sometimes I'll look up an old review from Ebert. I haven't found any for Siskel though:(
It's quite strange how reviews from Siskel are pretty much impossible to find while Ebert has a whole archive. That's why it's great we have the show though.

I haven't watched any of the Roeper episodes, but the ones inbetween where Ebert had guests could be entertaining. Mostly because they were downright buffoons at times, and Ebert would counter some truly absurd arguments.

Citizen Rules 08-11-18 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by mattiasflgrtll6 (Post 1933934)
It's quite strange how reviews from Siskel are pretty much impossible to find while Ebert has a whole archive. That's why it's great we have the show though.

I haven't watched any of the Roeper episodes, but the ones inbetween where Ebert had guests could be entertaining. Mostly because they were downright buffoons at times, and Ebert would counter some truly absurd arguments.
I'd love to see old Siskel and Ebert At The Movies shows, are they even around? I use to watch those all the time, that would be great to see them talk about a movie I just watched.

mattiasflgrtll6 08-11-18 02:15 PM

Some of them are available on YouTube, especially the episodes from the late 90's. But for something more complete, ioffer is currently selling a set with every episode from the 1986 At The Movies show containing Gene Siskel and Ebert in them.

https://www.ioffer.com/i/siskel-and-...-dvd-636472022