Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   How are your DVDs organized? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=23116)

rauldc14 07-14-10 11:43 PM

How are your DVDs organized?

What do you keep your DVD's on or where do you keep your DVD's? Do you organize them? If so, how?

Mine are just on 2 DVD stands at the moment. I used to have mine rated from most favorite to least favorite, but when I moved back from college I have put all the recently watched ones on the top in order of when I watched them. Then, the next time I watch one I'll know the types of movies that I've been watching just so I can mix it up.

Cries&Whispers 07-14-10 11:49 PM

Cool thread, I'm obsessed with organizing my DVD's and I'm interested to know if others are the same way. I organize mine in three sections. The first is regular movies, and I line them up on a large bookshelf in alphabetical order according to the titles. That's for about three rows, six feet each. The second section is documentaries and concert DVD's. They are also arranged in alpha order and take up about one shelf. The last section is Criterion Collection and very special edition or rare DVD's, which I rank in alphabetical order according to director. The last shelf is a bunch of VHS's for movies I love that either haven't been released on DVD or aren't of a compatible region.

My family and friends think I'm REALLY strange because of this. I don't usually like people borrowing my DVD's, but when they do I have to put them back myself, or I'll feel weird.

rauldc14 07-14-10 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Cries&Whispers (Post 641199)
Cool thread, I'm obsessed with organizing my DVD's and I'm interested to know if others are the same way. I organize mine in three sections. The first is regular movies, and I line them up on a large bookshelf in alphabetical order according to the titles. That's for about three rows, six feet each. The second section is documentaries and concert DVD's. They are also arranged in alpha order and take up about one shelf. The last section is Criterion Collection and very special edition or rare DVD's, which I rank in alphabetical order according to director. The last shelf is a bunch of VHS's for movies I love that either haven't been released on DVD or aren't of a compatible region.

My family and friends think I'm REALLY strange because of this. I don't usually like people borrowing my DVD's, but when they do I have to put them back myself, or I'll feel weird.

Good to know that I'm not the only one OBSESSED with organizing them. I'll probably revert back to Favorite to least favorite soon, or maybe switch it up and go by year or alphabetical

Cries&Whispers 07-15-10 12:03 AM

This is the main reason why I will always prefer DVD's to streaming movies through Netflix or owning digital copies on a computer or TV, or whatever the future holds--(and it will most likely not be DVD or Blu-ray.) I love physically having the movies, lining them up to choose from them, seeing the cover art on the cases, having special features, collecting them, etc... I hope DVD's never go out.

Juno MacGuff 07-15-10 01:22 AM

Re: How are your DVD's organized?

I have a leather bound book that holds my DVD's. I don't really have any order. They are just all in there.

WBadger 07-15-10 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by Cries&Whispers (Post 641207)
This is the main reason why I will always prefer DVD's to streaming movies through Netflix or owning digital copies on a computer or TV, or whatever the future holds--(and it will most likely not be DVD or Blu-ray.) I love physically having the movies, lining them up to choose from them, seeing the cover art on the cases, having special features, collecting them, etc... I hope DVD's never go out.
Exactly, I get depressed thinking about just having movies on a hard drive....

Anyway, I have my movies organized my director, and then after that by genre and within the genre and director they are alphabetical

Once I get a lot more movies though almost all will just be in director categories.

Holden Pike 07-15-10 02:06 AM

By weight.

Rhoten 07-15-10 02:10 AM

I organised them in an alphabetical order. I have like 5 shelves of dvds and another 9 shelves for VHS, one half a shelf for Blu-ray. And yes i am a freak. Next question! lol

Miss Vicky 07-15-10 03:47 AM

My DVD collection is very hap-hazardly arranged in mostly alphabetical order. Since I couldn't find space in any one particular spot (my house is rather small and I have too much stuff in general) for the entire collection, it's divided into several sections. A through most of M of my live-action movie collection are in one room, the rest of my live-action movies are in another room and in a third room I have my television shows, concerts, and animation.

My collection is too spread out to really make selecting a movie by looking at them to be very practical and I'm much too anal about my collection to ever put them in one of those binders. So I put together a sort of rudimentary online database of my collection:

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...MainIndex.html

I guess insomnia does have its uses.

n3wt 07-15-10 05:45 AM

I used to have my dvds in two book shelves but the last house we lived in was very damp, and were very lucky that the dvds were not ruined as the back of the book shelves were so wet and mouldy and this happened in just 4 months :facepalm: But in our new house I have got them all piled up against a wall in our bedroom :)

I have a kind of order that they are in, going from left to right I have my Horror movies in afew piles, followed by Action, Sci-Fi, Thriller, then Comedy and then finally all my tv shows. They are in two piles Comedy, Sci-Fi and then Animated :)

mistique 07-15-10 06:21 AM

At the moment I don't really have my dvds organized, except that all my Woody Allen movies are next to each other in chronological order. Besides that they are all over my room, on shelfs, in a shopping basket, on a small table, on the floor and not least a pile on top of my dvd player.

But hopefully I'll be moving to my first apartment this weekend, and then I hope to get some lovely book shelfs, where I can organize them in genres, and some by director.

Caitlyn 07-19-10 12:48 PM

Mine are pretty much in alphabetical order in plastic boxes... for now.

karibou 07-20-10 02:03 AM

My entertainment unit (schlocky wood, but pretty enough) has two small closed cabinets with hubby's ugly DVDs.

The open shelves showcase my lovely boxed DVDs. I try to keep things arranged by the colors of the cases & boxes. :p

Juno MacGuff 07-20-10 02:08 AM

Re: How are your DVDs organized?

I have tried to organize mine from alphabetical order to released years and they always seem to get mixed up after a short period of time.

rauldc14 07-20-10 02:12 AM

I'm thinking of going alphabetically with mine soon, but who knows. I am very peculiar when it comes to these sort of things:p

Juno MacGuff 07-20-10 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 643910)
I'm thinking of going alphabetically with mine soon, but who knows. I am very peculiar when it comes to these sort of things:p
The hard thing about ABC order is when you get a new one you have to move all the others one space to make the new one fit.

Shabutie 07-20-10 02:21 AM

DVDs? :down:

Blu-ray Discs? :yup:

Juno MacGuff 07-20-10 02:25 AM

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 643925)
DVDs? :down:

Blu-ray Discs? :yup:
I agree Blu Ray is where it is at, but are you telling me you are willing to replace all your DVD's prior to Blu Ray just to have Blu Ray? That would be quite costly.

Miss Vicky 07-20-10 02:26 AM

Blu Ray's overrated. I refuse to make the switch until I have to.

Harry Lime 07-21-10 01:50 AM

My DVDs are not organized, been putting that off for a long time.

Darkrose 07-21-10 02:00 AM

Alphabetically. A set for the VHS's. One of for the DVD's. One for the BluRay's.

eMilee 07-21-10 04:35 AM

mine are sorted by genre.. for example are 80s movies,dramas, comedy but are in a four shelf bookcase. i maybe running out of room or either need to rearrange it again. the house could be a total mess but the movies have to be in order!!

ravr12 07-21-10 05:56 AM

i have them ordered by director and genre.

The Prestige 07-21-10 06:05 AM

Mine is simply in alphabetical order.

LuDiNaToR 07-21-10 06:15 AM

mine are just in dvd stands in no order, and a couple of blue rays just in little stack next to tv.

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_ 07-21-10 06:54 AM

Chronologically on bookshelves...videos aren't in any order, they're on another bookshelf.

the professional 07-22-10 06:42 AM

By Genre and Aphibetically e.g Action is First and then all the actions are in alphabetical order and they are all on a ten shelf custom made book shelf to fit DVD's.

Holden Pike 07-22-10 09:16 AM

I have thousands of DVDs so I have them arranged every which way except alphabetically. I've got lots of them sorted by director, and then chronologically within each filmography. After that it's mostly by genre, though I do have a handful of my favorite comedians separated out (minus their films that may be in with a specific director, which overrides actor). Within each genre I have it sorted either loosely by era or subsets of the genre, for instance with the Westerns (that aren't already in the appropriate Peckinpah, Leone, Ford, Hawks, Eastwood, etc. section) I have them pretty much grouped by time period, '40s and '50s, '60s and '70s, Spaghettis, comic Westerns, etc. And for example in my crime and Noir area I have heist films separated from police procedurals, etc.

All the TV series are together, except for a couple individual titles in the appropriate director shelves (such as "Amazing Stories" in with Spielberg, "Crime Story" with Michael Mann, "Twin Peaks" with David Lynch, etc.). The others again are more or less by genre, but within the sitcoms for example I'll group workplace comedies ("Sports Night", "News Radio", "WKRP in Cincinnati", "Taxi", "The Office", etc.) together, and I keep say the crime dramas and comedies together ("NYPD Blue", "Hill Street Blues", "Barney Miller", "The Job", "Sledgehammer", "Homicide: Life on the Street", etc. but not "Police Squad!" because it's with the Zucker Brothers stuff).

So, as I say: just about every method EXCEPT alphabetically, which is completely dull to me and no way to love a collection. Do you have your books or CDs sorted alphabetically, or by author and artist and genre? Even when I was just starting my DVD or my LD collections, I never kept them alphabetically.

But, you know: I'm crazy and compulsive. Hell, I still have about five hundred Laser Discs.

therumsgone 07-22-10 02:23 PM

I moved cross-country, so I got rid of the cases (special editions excluded), put them in sleeves, and then put those alphabetically in a media box. I use a program called Delicious Library to catalog my movies, so I can just search by actor/director/genre, etc. It's pretty handy. TV on DVD is in a different section.

Alphabetically has always worked for my dvds, but I organize my books by library on congress call number /nerd.

christine 07-22-10 06:44 PM

I have a couple of friends who are really obsessive about arranging their dvd collections (and their books). As I'm not a really tidy person this always seems a bit weird. I did used to have my dvds just piled on teh shelves but then I've got too many now and have to be able to find one without taking ages, so I've got mine in blocks according to countries of origin (I have loads of foreign films). I kinda like not having any other order cos when I go to look for one then I have to riffle through others and you get reminded of things you've not watched for a while.

Xui Wan 07-22-10 08:13 PM

Alphabetical, blue ray separate, children's separate and boxed or special editions that are odd in shape or size at the very end alphabetical as well.

therumsgone 07-22-10 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Xui Wan (Post 644973)
Alphabetical, blue ray separate, children's separate and boxed or special editions that are odd in shape or size at the very end alphabetical as well.
Those weird sized ones are tricky, aren't they? When I had less dvds I used to have a dvd tower, but I had to take the box sets out of alphabetical order and put them someplace else. So annoying.

Of course, I'm one of those weird people who gets annoyed that books are different sizes and don't look right on my shelf, so I might have different annoyances than most :rolleyes:

Xui Wan 07-23-10 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by therumsgone (Post 644991)
Those weird sized ones are tricky, aren't they? When I had less dvds I used to have a dvd tower, but I had to take the box sets out of alphabetical order and put them someplace else. So annoying.

Of course, I'm one of those weird people who gets annoyed that books are different sizes and don't look right on my shelf, so I might have different annoyances than most :rolleyes:
Your not alone! its a touch of OCD or maybe high amount of OCD!!! :p

JakeScotts 08-19-10 05:07 PM

overseas movies and movies without cases have their own section in the leather cd folder, i keep copied movies in a cd rack , and i keep my cased dvd under the cabinet stacked in a row next to each other. very un organised , but i try my best

ChasingButterfly 08-26-10 03:10 PM

I recently alphabetized mine. I really enjoyed the entire process.

Leo_Lover 08-29-10 08:12 AM

Mine are all in my family's huge TV Cabinet.

I have all my DVD's in alphabetical order & then I have them in my favourite Actors & Actresses such as:

Leonardo DiCaprio
Cameron Diaz
Audrey Hepburn
Kate Winslet

Michael_10 08-29-10 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by therumsgone (Post 644875)
I moved cross-country, so I got rid of the cases (special editions excluded), put them in sleeves, and then put those alphabetically in a media box. I use a program called Delicious Library to catalog my movies, so I can just search by actor/director/genre, etc. It's pretty handy. TV on DVD is in a different section.

Alphabetically has always worked for my dvds, but I organize my books by library on congress call number /nerd.
I have mine in sleeves also, though I've lost....better word... relinquished most!

HeavenlyBlues 09-11-10 11:37 AM

Mine are organized by genre. My horror section is huge, so I had to break it down even further: Zombies, Slashers, Monsters + more, lol. I did the A-Z thing for a while, but I just got tired of seeing the dvds in the same place for years :bored:

shnooky 01-24-11 06:40 PM

rip the discs to a drive on a home media server. Alphabetizes it itself.

wintertriangles 01-24-11 06:55 PM

In general by genre but whenever I can I sub-organize them by director. I need a bigger shelf, they're making their way across the floor now. I'm really geeky about having my criterion dvds in spine order for some reason as well.

Holden Pike 08-26-11 07:10 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is how a fraction of my DVDs are stored...

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1314396563

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1314396573

mark f 08-26-11 07:31 PM

Holds has two apartments; a large one for his movies and a smaller one for himself. Those photos remind me of my wife's library here at home, but it consists of books.

Nausicaä 08-26-11 07:43 PM

Why are all those dvds in really thin cases?

HitchFan97 08-26-11 07:46 PM

Alphabetical order; though its just one DVD stand right now.

Sinny McGuffins 08-26-11 07:49 PM

Impressive, Holden. And yeah I was wondering why they're all in thin cases too, made me wonder if you were actually serious about organizing them by weight. But I organize mine a lot like you described on the last page. Though I have a lot less, of course.

Yoda 08-26-11 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 758869)
Why are all those dvds in really thin cases?
I think Holds said awhile back, if I'm remembering correctly, that he transfers them all to their own super-thin cases so he can more easily store and transport them.

I've seen his handiwork and it's quite impressive; custom labels and covers and all that. For awhile I just assumed he worked in a stationary store or something. :D

Holden Pike 08-26-11 08:13 PM

Yup, all my DVDs are in those thin cases. Doubled my shelf space. That photo is just one wall of my apartment. I have two more units like those three pictured, plus various smaller ones (if you notice the smaller case under the Night Moves poster, there are six of those - and others), and they also line the tops of bookcases. And then there are just a whole lot I don't have room for, and are stored in boxes. And that doesn't even count the LDs, which have two shelving units of their own.

Those cases in the pic, with the slim cases each one of those shelves holds about 90 DVDs. There are three cases in that photo, seven shelves each, plus all the ones lining the top. So that's over 2,000 just in that top picture alone.

Dog Star Man 08-26-11 08:28 PM

I've only got about 2,500 DVD's, (not as big as Holden's), but my Criterions are sorted by number and my other DVD's are sorted by genre and name.

honeykid 08-26-11 08:40 PM

They're not. They're just put on shelves.

filmgirlinterrupted 08-26-11 10:26 PM

Blu-Rays are first in line, A to Z. Then my regular DVD's A to Z.

When I was still living at home, my dad had a 3,000 disc changer complete with a binder that listed all of the movies. He had them sorted by genre, and each movie had a # assigned to it. You would punch the number into the remote and VOILA!

SamsoniteDelilah 08-27-11 12:24 AM

By color. Seriously. I'm going to look at the lot of them more than the amount of time I'll spend searching for any one of them. I only own about 100, plus a couple of tv series, so it's not hard to find anything.

akatemple 08-27-11 01:26 AM

I don't have a system for organizing my DVD's, I just try to keep tv shows on one side and movies on the other....

Sexy Celebrity 08-27-11 03:15 AM

My Blu-rays and my DVDs are separate from each other. I do not alphabetize them -- I agree with Holden Pike (as he said on the last page, I think) that alphabetizing movies is boring. I have my TV shows and big box sets all grouped together and then I sort of have, right now, rows of movies divided into things like - this group is stuff I really like and watch a lot. This group is stuff I like but I don't watch a lot, but it's still good. This group is stuff I either don't watch a lot, don't care much for or haven't got around to watching yet ('cause I have quite a few DVDs I need to watch still - Blus, too.)

Sometimes I have movies all grouped together by director or star (such as all Jake Gyllenhaal movies together, for a typical example.) All of my classic Warner Brothers DVDs are together - such as the older movies. Now, it's not a lot of them, but they're all together and it looks nice because Warner Brothers made nice looking DVDs.

I think that Holden's system with the thin cases is immaculate and, in my opinion, a brave thing to do -- very smart but personally, I'd be nervous about tossing out the original DVD cases, even though I have many that are crappy. If he tossed out the original paper that came with it -- that's even more bothersome to me... except maybe that godawful Troll 2 Blu-ray that I bought at Wal-Mart that came with a ripped paper insert that I didn't notice until I got at home (nothing wrong with the movie, though, it's wonderful.)

That must have taken forever getting all of those paper inserts printed out (is that what happened? That must have been a lot of ink, too) and transferring everything to that system. Seems very exhausting. I hope you rewarded yourself afterwards with pizza.

Nausicaä 08-27-11 02:00 PM

Sections:

Steelbooks(DVDs and Blu-rays together)

Criterion Collection(DVDs and Blu-rays together)

Television box sets(both formats together)

Special packaging (slipcase, masks, foldouts etc)

The 'normal packaged' DVDs/Blu-rays are organised into genres: Horror, Queer Cinema, Science Fiction and so on - DVDs first, then the Blu-rays come after at the end of the collection shelf.

That's about it. Not in alphabetical order either.

Deadite 08-27-11 04:28 PM

Currently in three foot stacks against the far wall behind me, starting at the corner, mostly. A few smaller stacks under the TV in the entertainment center shelf. I try to keep them ordered according to genre and that's about it.

Deadite 08-27-11 04:34 PM

I actually had quite a few added to my collection recently, around thirty-fifty that I haven't really looked over yet, much. They belonged to a family member who passed away. Quite a few older films, classics, war films, westerns, stuff like that.

Deadite 08-27-11 04:38 PM

There are also an unknown number of VHS tapes in two fairly large plastic containers in my bedroom closet.

moviegoddess 08-29-11 08:47 PM

h. pike--f*ck you...and..um, as i casualy i put my arm around yours....so can i come over...

i got bored with the regular order, like alphabet, or year, or order in which i bought them, or director.

so my h and i started playing the 6 degrees of kevin bacon...and applied it to all movies, like:
chicago--fred casey, the dead guy

300--the d!ck guy who had that great line: and in she walked with her shabby self...
then the persain, who got kicked into the hole..

hulk--he is the generals guy...edward norton..

ilusionist...paul gamiti...

planet of the apes...

it goes on like that, of course some things dont fit until you buy the other movies to fill the gap.

Film Trash Review 08-30-11 03:00 AM

Mine are organized like this...A clockwork Orange, Social Network, Spirited Away and junk the rest.

I think that Drive and 50/50 will make the shelf by next year :)

Ronemara 08-30-11 03:17 PM

Hmmm... Mine are not organized in the least. I have 2 shelves of movies and they're all just thrown in willy-nilly. But, thats just me. Organization... Not really my forte.

Wrongboyo 08-31-11 02:12 PM

I have my dvds all lined up on a shelf that goes around my whole room. I've always just organized mine in order of favourites, with three sections (one for horror films, one for every other genre, and one for concerts/ tv series.

I also have a ton of vhs tapes, which I rarely watch, stashed in a cubby behind my desk.

Matcat 09-15-11 07:14 AM

I only started collection this easter so I haven't got that many dvds.. Yet! I have two small ikea shelves where I sort them alphabetical, but I will probably start sorting them by genre when I get some more but right now it works great with the alphabetical thing..

MSHax 09-29-11 02:29 AM

I have mine sorted Alphabetically, thanks to an amazon database dump, a web app I built, and a barcode scanner, I can scan the DVD, it will pull the data and copy it into my database so that I can track them. One bad thing is that it stores the price of the DVD also, I say this is bad because once you start getting in the 100+ range (I'm at 721), you REALLY shouldn't see how much you spent. It will depress you, and you'll have that..."WTF!?!?! I can buy a car, and a house in some parts of the country for what I've spent on DVDs!!!!" moment.

TylerDurden99 03-18-12 08:19 AM

I got this weird thing going on at the moment, where I'll look at my collection and see a particular movie that I either have never watched and haven't for years, and I'll add it to a small section of my shelf. So far, there's around 100 films in there, including the likes of No Country For Old Men, Chinatown, Red River, The Shining, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid & Vertigo, weighed up against the likes of Death Warrant, Renegade Justice, 48 Hours, The Wild Geese & Conan The Barbarian. It initially started as some of sort of "qualifying" round for my next top 100, but has evolved into a simple exercise to watch more movies.

chrisv24 03-28-12 04:29 PM

I have about 200 DVDs and there isnt really any sort of organisation system for them. I just have a browse through and usually find one I havent watched in a while

The Rodent 03-28-12 04:42 PM

Oh wow, another thread I missed till now. Thanks to chrisv24 for bumping it.

I'm pretty anal about my DVDs, I keep mine alphabetically and numerically ordered on 3 seperate shelves.

Shelf #1 is singular films (or in which I only own one of the franchise).
For instance:
Independence Day, Ransom, Paul are just a couple of random singular films that are on shelf #1.
I only own the first Karate Kid movie and the first Robocop movie, I haven't got the sequels or the remakes, so they also go on here with the singular movies.

If I ever bought the/a sequel/sequels to any of the movies I own, they'd be moved to shelf #2.

Shelf two is for box sets and franchises that I own.
For instance:
Box set of Matrix movies.
Box set of Ghostbusters.
I own the Alien franchise, but they're in singular boxes and not in a box set, but they still go on shelf #2, as they go together in a foursome.
The other example is that I own Predator and Predators, but not Predator 2, but they still go on shelf 2 with the franchises as I own more than just one of that franchise.

Then there's the third shelf with films that have a number at the beginning of the title. I keep these in numerical order, lowest to highest.
For instance:
30 Days Of Night.
etc etc etc.

It's funny when my kids have been messing around and they put them back hoping I won't notice, I always know.

gandalf26 03-29-12 07:01 AM

Reading some of the last few posts makes me feel ashamed of my own DVD chaos.

Some are next to the wall, some in my bedroom closet, some downstairs.

CHAOS!

Nausicaä 03-29-12 07:06 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vmn9asN-8AE

cinemaafficionado 03-30-12 07:20 AM

Maybe I should have been a librarian. My movies are in special shelves in two rooms. My organization is sort of unique as I've expanded categories into sub-categories and all the movies are arranged in alphabetical order.
As I have a lot of foreign movies, those I've classified into sections based on country of origin. For example movies from Korea, China, Japan, Thailand, India, UK, France, Italy, Germany And Russia. All other foreign movies are in the general foreign movie
category and the exceptional foreign movie category. American movies are classified in the following categories: exceptional, drama, action, war, horror, comedy, dark and twisted, classic, westerns, epic, gangster & gang-related, documentaries, martial arts, TV series and seperate action hero collections: Clint Eastwood, Steven Seagal, Jean Claude Van Damme, James Bond, sports related, sci-fi, favorite director collections: Hictchkock, Scorcese, Tarantino, David Lean and then I have a seperate category of Asian movies that are not in English and that I can only watch with an all region Dvd player. Although I have over 5,000 movies, the way they are organized makes it easy for me to find any single movie I'm looking for in less than 30 seconds. So talk about anal and obssessive compulsive with masochistic librarian tendencies, I'm your huckleberry.

She-ra 04-17-12 06:02 AM

At the moment my collection has just been dumped onto a booked case so its accessible but its really starting to annoy me that I cant find anything.

n3wt 04-17-12 11:48 AM

I have stopped trying to get my dvds in any sort of order. They used to be in alphabetical order, then Genre order. Now they are in whatever I have just watched goes on top :D

bouncingbrick 04-17-12 02:30 PM

I have somewhere in the 1000 disc range (including all the kids stuff). My discs are never, ever put back into cases they don't belong in. They always go back in the case, never left lying out.

Other than that, random, chaotic all over shelves. I do keep the Blu-rays seperate from the DVDs, because they aren't the same size and that messes with my brain. Plus, I like how Blu-rays look and like to keep them where I can get to them easier.

Skepsis93 04-18-12 07:21 AM

Right now I have my top 10 in order at the start then the rest are sorted by release year.

cinemaafficionado 04-18-12 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 805704)
Right now I have my top 10 in order at the start then the rest are sorted by release year.
If you don't mind me asking, how big is your collection and how long does it take you to locate a particular dvd you are looking for?

Miss Vicky 04-19-12 02:23 AM

Originally Posted by cinemaafficionado (Post 805914)
If you don't mind me asking, how big is your collection and how long does it take you to locate a particular dvd you are looking for?
I've wondered this myself about people who organize in non alphabetical ways. Especially those who do it by genre. What if a movie fits into multiple genres? What then?

And for those who do it by year: Do you have multiple editions of any one movie? For example, I have two copies of Gladiator: the standard edition that was released in 2000 and the extended edition that was released in 2005. Would both copies go in 2000 for the year of theatrical release or one in 2000 and the other in 2005?

It all just seems too complicated to me. I've got my animated features in one section, my tv shows and concerts in another, and all the rest lined up alphabetically.

Yoda 04-19-12 09:16 AM

Yeah, alphabetical seems like the only way if you actually want to find things quickly. I, too, keep TV shows and other categories of discs separate; Blu-rays sometimes, for example.

Skepsis93 04-19-12 10:19 AM

My collection isn't that big at the moment so it doesn't take me too long to find anything. When it does get bigger I guess I'll switch to alphabetical if it gets too hard to find stuff.

I'm not too fussy about where multiple copies go, usually just in the same place by release year.

The Rodent 04-19-12 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by cinemaafficionado (Post 805914)
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 805966)
I've wondered this myself about people who organize in non alphabetical ways. Especially those who do it by genre. What if a movie fits into multiple genres? What then?

And for those who do it by year: Do you have multiple editions of any one movie? For example, I have two copies of Gladiator: the standard edition that was released in 2000 and the extended edition that was released in 2005. Would both copies go in 2000 for the year of theatrical release or one in 2000 and the other in 2005?

It all just seems too complicated to me. I've got my animated features in one section, my tv shows and concerts in another, and all the rest lined up alphabetically.
Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 806028)
Yeah, alphabetical seems like the only way if you actually want to find things quickly. I, too, keep TV shows and other categories of discs separate; Blu-rays sometimes, for example.
Originally Posted by Skepsis93 (Post 806031)
My collection isn't that big at the moment so it doesn't take me too long to find anything. When it does get bigger I guess I'll switch to alphabetical if it gets too hard to find stuff.

I'm not too fussy about where multiple copies go, usually just in the same place by release year.

I said in my previous post on here about how mine are organised, Alphabetically is the best way to go.
Don't worry about genre or release date, if you know the name of the film, you know where it is without needing to look.

Takes me no time at all to locate a disc, I know just by the name of the film exactly where it is.
My sister asked me the other week if I had Poltergeist and if she could borrow it.
I didn't even need to look at the shelf, "It's near the top of the right hand pile in the DVD cabinet".
She gave me a funny look when I said that without looking though :D

She-ra 04-19-12 11:13 AM

After all the crappy Argos DVD units i've had that promptly then fell apart I'm now saving my pennies to purchase this to hold my collection

http://i1071.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1334844269

Is it wrong to fall in love with furniture that costs over two months rent?

honeykid 04-19-12 12:11 PM

No. It's wrong to buy it, but not to love it. :D

She-ra 04-20-12 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 806039)
No. It's wrong to buy it, but not to love it. :D
I can dream. I'll just keep buying DVD's that I have no storage for :)

cinemaafficionado 04-20-12 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by TylerDurden99 (Post 798739)
I got this weird thing going on at the moment, where I'll look at my collection and see a particular movie that I either have never watched and haven't for years, and I'll add it to a small section of my shelf. So far, there's around 100 films in there, including the likes of No Country For Old Men, Chinatown, Red River, The Shining, Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid & Vertigo, weighed up against the likes of Death Warrant, Renegade Justice, 48 Hours, The Wild Geese & Conan The Barbarian. It initially started as some of sort of "qualifying" round for my next top 100, but has evolved into a simple exercise to watch more movies.
For some of those movies that you mentioned, it would be impossible for them to sit in my place for more than 24 hours without me watching them.

coliander7 04-21-12 11:26 AM

Alphabetic, and the chronological. However, with my die hard movie live free or die hard is in the D's

The Prestige 04-29-12 08:48 AM

Mine's in alphabetical order too. Although TV Boxsets are seperated from the films.

Devils Angel 04-29-12 09:00 AM

mine is currently in what I like to call "Organised Chaos"

donniedarko 04-30-12 12:48 AM

Well my TV show collection is completely separate from Movie but here are how my movie are organized.
First I have collection this is mainly organized by similar collections go with each other. Like I have two Hitchcock collections so they're together. I also put single DVDs tht have something in common by the collection it's like. For example I have an 8 film Mel Brooks collection and then I have Spaceballs, so I put Spaceballs by the collection.
Then after collections I have alphabetized single films, that's simple enough.
And finally the very few blu-rays I have are just stacked landscape (all my others are standing portrait style) on top of the box sets on the top shelf.
And my TV shows are in a completely different room just with shows going together lined up by season number, and also I keep the simpsons movie by my DVDs of the Simpsons since I think it fits better there.

cuddlepie281289 05-08-12 10:36 PM

I have mine separated into 3 groups: Blu rays, Dvds and Tv shows and in each of these groups they are arranged alphabetically so people can find a movie easier. My friends and family use my collection kind of like people use a video store. They however dont have to pay to borrow though :p

Tracepa98 07-09-12 11:55 AM

I have 2 DVD towers and a shelf that are set up like Blockbuster. Action and Sci-Fi, Comedy, Drama, Standup Comedy, Horror, and animated films.

For the ones i don't watch very often, they are boxed up along with my Christmas movies.

I'm quite particular about my organization. My family thinks I'm nuts but its how I am. I have to have order.

MerylStreepLove 08-31-12 03:22 AM

I have 3 DVD towers. One is Disney and kids, TV boxsets and the other for the majority. I have the kids by studio, the box sets alphabetized and the majority by actors and then alphabetized. I have done categories too. Does anyone else save receipts from movie purchases? I stick mine in the cases.

Kakarot89 09-01-12 12:11 PM

I have a cabinet I keep all mine in. For the most part they're organized alphabetically by the director's last name and chronological by what year it was made (unless it's a sequel they made such as with Hellboy and Hellboy 2) but in some cases I've organized by actor (Ed Norton, Kevin Spacey, Jet Li, Donnie Yen, and Patrick Swayze are the only cases of these). Also, the collections are organized by what they're a collection of (Friday the 13th, 6 films to keep you awake, Nightmare on Elm St., Universal Monsters Collection, Star Wars). It seems to work out pretty well but can be a bit of a pain to move DVDs down a shelf so I can fit the new one in.

donniedarko 09-01-12 12:42 PM

Well my organization changed a bit since my last post

Blu-ray criterions
Criterions
Boxsets
DVDS
And then Blu Rays

All the categories are alphabetized

Nausicaä 09-01-12 01:08 PM

Nothing has changed with mine apart from all my steelbooks are in lovely protective clear covers now so they don't scratch. I don't buy them with future selling in mind but a lot of my steelbooks are out of print and I've seen them go for rather a lot of money compared to what I bought the steelbooks for. So they have protection now for the future and therefore don't lose value because of damage.

I'll never sell them though, so it's for inheritance purposes. :yup:

teeter_g 12-15-12 02:11 PM

I used to take my DVD's down and re-organize them at least once every 3-4 months. The only organization that I have for them now is: All bluRay disks go on the rack beside the TV along with all my very favorites, there are now two racks beside the TV. Other than that I just try to keep my series' all together.

Shempy 01-21-13 01:28 PM

good on you to all who can use the alphabet but that's just not for me, its all genre, directors, actors.

There's more personality in organizing it in a way only you can find a movie. :) and its more evil mwahahaha

I get told to leave new releases out in a pile for other people to watch because once I put it with the rest nobody can find it. (on occasion my sister can figure out how my mind works and find something.)

As for how long it takes to find something, I pretty much know where everything is. I try to not change the order too much, but when buying new dvds/bds it's necessary.

Link to my collection

Miss Vicky 01-21-13 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Shempy (Post 872630)
good on you to all who can use the alphabet but that's just not for me, its all genre, directors, actors.
While organizing it by directors might work, how do you manage actors and genres?

My top four favorite actors are Joaquin Phoenix, Russell Crowe, Leonardo DiCaprio and Johnny Depp. So if I organize by actor, where do Gladiator, Body of Lies, The Quick and the Dead and What's Eating Gilbert Grape go?

As for genre, the same problem applies since many movies fall into multiple genres. Take for instance Bubba Ho-Tep, The Evil Dead trilogy and Fido. Do they go with horror, with comedy, or in a section all their own?

Shempy 01-21-13 01:55 PM

It's not like all movies with Johnny Depp for instance can be together, since I've got Tim Burton movies together and then I've got QT/RR movies together and Johnny Depp is in one of their movies.

It's all where I know it is...

I'd love to have all horror together but I cant, but I know where they all are.

Gladiator is with some Ridley Scott films, Body of Lies is close by...

The Quick and the Dead is with Sam Raimi movies for me, and..

Whats Eating Gilbert Grape is next to Blow where I have some salma hayek movies that goes into a lot of Almodovar movies which runs into some tim burton movies which goes into some John Waters (by way of Johnny Depp)

Unless you have multiple copies you can't put all Russell Crowe movies together, I pick one aspect of the movie and go with it, why in each case I don't know... maybe its wherever I have space or who's movie I consider it to be. *shrug*

It all makes sense to me hehe and thats why nobody else can find movies in my collection, they might go Gladiator... *look for another Russell Crowe movie* but I've classed it as a Ridley Scott movie. :)

1, I don't own Fido, seen it, like it, I'd put it with zombie movies.

as for Bubba Ho-Tep and Evil Dead they are all together because of the Bruce/Raimi-ness of them. I've got Raimi/Bruce movies together with Xena/Hercules/Seeker and then into Superhero movies... makes sense to me.

Not very ordered chaos is my system I guess :D

Tacitus 01-21-13 07:07 PM

I've only got the space for displaying Blu Rays these days and I had to spend £300 on units just for them. :p

They're alphabetical at the moment but that'll soon change - I'm awful at keeping things up to date like that. I have, however, started using DVD Profiler again, but just for BDs.

McConnaughay 01-21-13 11:36 PM

They're in a pile.

robVILE 01-29-13 07:56 PM

They are stored in two massive DVD Racks (2x1000 Capacity), and are ordered alphabetically.

Right now, i believe my collection is about 680 titles and even though alphabetically organized, series are a bit of an unsual case.

When you get to a series like Batman, they are orginized by year oldest to newest, so for example

BATMAN 1949 Serials
BATMAN: The Movie
Tim Burton's BATMAN
BATMAN RETURNS
BATMAN FOREVER
BATMAN & ROBIN
BATMAN THE ANIMATED SERIES
BATMAN BEGINS
THE DARK KNIGHT
THE DARK KNIGHT RISES
BATMAN UNDER THE REDHOOD

ect..

But when it comes to a series like First Blood, Rambo simply comes fourth; done the same way with the Die Hard series.

So, alphabetically and chronologically.

DeeVeeDee 03-17-13 10:30 PM

I've organized my collection a few times recently, alphabetical, genre, favorites... but they get unorganized because when I watch one or take it out, I just put it on top, not where it was. Then at some point I reorganize them into new groups.

Right now, they're in stacks on a bench next to my tv, and are in categories/piles of: movies I've watched tons of times, movies I've seen a good amount but not that much, newest movies or movies I haven't watch many times, TV Shows and movies that are horrible and not worth me ever watching again, and then there are my VHS tapes. I also have an old CD case of sleeves for TV shows that I have multiple seasons, or the cases are damaged/really big and bulky, and also for burned/bootleg DVDs.