Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   The Television & Music Forum (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Things You Hate From Shows You Love (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47068)

Gideon58 11-14-16 11:54 AM

i loved Oz, but hated Robert Clohessy as Sean Murphy the guard.

I loved Cheers but couldn't stand Shelley Long

I loved Smash, but couldn't stand Katherine McPhee

Loved Boston Legal but hated Christian Clemenson as Jerry Espinson

Daniel M 11-14-16 11:59 AM

Re: Things You Hate From Shows You Love

Phoebe in Friends.

Topsy 11-14-16 12:13 PM

The L word
First 3 seasons it was a realistic drama,come season 4 and they decide-out of nowhere-to turn it into a comical daytime soap with the most absurd storylines..I pretend those 3 last seasons dont excist.

Lost
I loved season 1..then i fell of cos it was the first show they aired simutaniously here and in the US- we usually get the shows later to avoid the long breaks..and that show made me happy about that..anyway,years later i got netflix and watched the whole thing. It just got too ridiculous,though still entertaining,-seems like they just kept adding on stuff without any thought to how they were going to explain it or end it and they kinda dug themselfs in.

Game of Thrones
cliche characters-especially Khaleesi,sometimes i get annoyed even before she start one of her overdramatic speeches.i dont like a lot of the dialogue,theres too much swearing and nudity just for the shock value.

Camo 11-14-16 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Daniel M (Post 1606900)
Phoebe in Friends.
I didn't actually know you were a Friends fan. The first time i watched the show i really disliked her, she became a real bitch during the second half of the show. Watching it more as i got older i'd actually say she's now my third favourite behind Chandler and Monica; her jokes are the wackiest and her relationships aren't that interesting for the most part, but i just find her really hilarious. If her jokes don't work for you then they'd probably become obnoxious though so i can understand that.

Camo 11-14-16 12:26 PM

It just got too ridiculous,though still entertaining,-seems like they just kept adding on stuff without any thought to how they were going to explain it or end it and they kinda dug themselfs in.
That's exactly what happened. The writers admitted they were making it up as they went along for the most part so i think the end was always going to be underwhelming. I just loved the journey though, plenty of stuff didn't work for me but there was always something interesting going on. I also think it was much better watching and discussing it with people as it happened so watching it years later on netflix could've hurt that a bit.

Daniel M 11-14-16 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1606913)
I didn't actually know you were a Friends fan. The first time i watched the show i really disliked her, she became a real bitch during the second half of the show. Watching it more as i got older i'd actually say she's now my third favourite behind Chandler and Monica; her jokes are the wackiest and her relationships aren't that interesting for the most part, but i just find her really hilarious. If her jokes don't work for you then they'd probably become obnoxious though so i can understand that.
Yeah I like Friends a lot. Probably this summer I actually ended up watching a lot of it that I hadn't seen before, watched episodes in order, and watch final episode properly.

But yeah, absolutely not funny at all for me. Her jokes are terrible and silly and most episodes I do not laugh at her at all, not joking, some of the episodes towards the ends centric towards her are painful.

For me, my favourite character is easily Ross. Easily the character I laugh at most although I know a lot hate him because they think he is a d*ck, yes he is... but that's what makes him funny. Chandler is my second favourite.

Camo 11-14-16 12:38 PM

Don't agree on Phoebe but fair enough i can understand that. I'd go:

01.Chandler - Easily the funniest for me and i also think he is the most interesting of the bunch.
02.Monica - Possibly has the most drastic character change of anybody, from the laidback, slightly underdeveloped character of the first couple of seasons to the loud and crazy character later on. She's hilarious though and i think her relationship with Chandler really worked.
03.Phoebe - I find her hilarious for the most part, i also think she can be really adorable.
04.Ross - I go up and down on him, i do think he is hilarious most of the time but he's definitely the least likable character in the show.
05.Joey - He goes downhill the most for me easily. My favourite time in the show was when him and Chandler were roommates, easily the funniest relationship in the show. He just seems to get dumber every season though to the point were i'm cringing at most of his jokes during the last couple of seasons.
06.Rachel - Easily the weakest. Barely ever makes me laugh and the drawn out Ross crap is probably the worst thing in the show. One thing i do like about her is that she's probably the character that changes the most for the positive during the show, from a spoiled brat to a hardworking mother.

Daniel M 11-14-16 02:34 PM

For me:

Ross
Chandler
Joey (agree gets worse)
Monica (agree gets better, miles ahead of overs in terms of being a fleshed out female character for me)
Rachel
Pheobe

Tugg 11-14-16 02:53 PM

"Friends" characters from great to less great:
  1. Chandler
  2. Ross
  3. Rachel
  4. Monica
  5. Joey
  6. Phoebe

Captain Steel 11-14-16 03:27 PM

Walking Dead - the commercials.
It's not that just every season and every episode ends with a cliff-hanger, but now it seems like there's a mini cliff-hanger before every commercial... which seem to be coming in droves and with ever greater and increasing frequency.

Mr Minio 11-14-16 04:03 PM

Not enough teetees in Game of Thrones.

Daniel M 11-14-16 04:19 PM

Also agree on the Arrested Development stuff. Season four is weaker but still great, takes a few episodes to get going but I really enjoyed it by the end. Because of all the constraints they had with getting everyone together, they did really well to make it as good as they did. Also agree that I didn't think the Mr F storyline was particularly great, but kind of the things that stem from it, like the recurring Mr F soundbite, are great.

From Twin Peaks there's the Nadine thinks she's in school storyline that is really silly and pointless overall. I am sure people had over problems with season 2 too but that one really stands out.

Camo 11-14-16 09:53 PM

like the recurring Mr F soundbite, are great.
Yeah, that's great. I've got it in my head that there was a callback to that in season four i think with something different called mrf, but i can't remember what it was or if i'm not imagining it.

Daniel M 11-14-16 09:57 PM

Yeah there is, like someone's name began with F or something, like his surname so he was called Mr F______ and when we saw/heard it, that soundbite played. Maybe happened more than once too, I can't really remember now. Need to watch the whole show again, only seen it once.

Sexy Celebrity 11-14-16 10:05 PM

I have always found Friends hard to get into, but from what I've seen over the years -- Joey, Phoebe, Ross and Rachel seem like the best characters. Monica is okay because she's Courteney Cox. But Chandler is bottom of the list to me.

Sexy Celebrity 11-14-16 10:07 PM

I hate his name -- Chandler. It doesn't work for me.

Camo 11-14-16 10:11 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1607133)
I hate his name -- Chandler. It doesn't work for me.
That's kind of the point. One of the main things about his character is that everything that could possibly go wrong has to him. There's several jokes about both his first and second name (Bing) being terrible, it's supposed to be a he had it tough from the day he was born thing.

Also: Chanandaler Bong :cool:

Sexy Celebrity 11-14-16 10:12 PM

Were they trying to copy Seinfeld? Chandler is making me think of Kramer. I know he's definitely not the Kramer character (that would be Joey, I guess), but it makes me think of Kramer.

Camo 11-14-16 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sexy Celebrity (Post 1607136)
Were they trying to copy Seinfeld? Chandler is making me think of Kramer. I know he's definitely not the Kramer character (that would be Joey, I guess), but it makes me think of Kramer.
In what way? I don't think they are that similar, Kramer is probably the luckiest character in Seinfeld. He's one of those characters that not much bad happens to (at least compared to the others) and his actions usually cause problems for the others. I'd say Chandler is closer to Jerry or George.

Kramer was called Kessler in the Seinfeld pilot :laugh:

Sexy Celebrity 11-14-16 10:21 PM

I just think -- Chandler, Kramer. Both weird names with a "chh" sound at the beginning, end in "er."