Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Citizen Rules...Cinemaesque Chat-n-Review (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=37050)

Citizen Rules 10-14-14 03:24 PM

Re: Citizen Rules...Cinamaesque Chat-n-Review

Yup I meant without the Pinbacker scene I'd give a 4, with the scene, gee I don't even know.

Citizen Rules 10-17-14 03:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Out To Sea (1997)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537479501

Watch this just for fun! There's a great cast of old time actors and a few laughs here too.

Think of Out To Sea like an episode of The Love Boat with the Grumpy Old Men duo of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau looking for romance on the open ocean.

Into that mix add such old time familiar faces as: Donald O'Connor (his last film), Hal Linden, Dyan Cannon, Rue McClanahan and Brent Spiner of Star Trek TNG fame. Set on a cruise ship, a real cruise ship, the Holland American Westerdam.

Sure Walter Matthau is way too old for Dyan Cannon but that won't stop him from pursuing her and her money too. Jack Lemmon is reluctantly pursued by a classy older lady, Gloria DeHaven.

Brent Spiner is hilarious as the sniveling, pompous Cruise Director. He does a good British accent too.

I've been on cruises and Out To Sea is the only movie I've seen that is actually filmed on a real cruise ship. Many of the sets are real locations on the Westerdam. So if you can't afford a cruise, just watch Out To Sea and you won't even get sea sick.

+

Citizen Rules 10-19-14 09:51 PM

I forgot to add, Out To Sea had a great sound track of oldies. Including a great song which ran during the closing credits, More by Bobby Darin.

gbgoodies 10-19-14 10:01 PM

I haven't seen Out To Sea, but if it's got Hal Linden ("Barney Miller"), Brent Spiner (ST: TNG), Donald O'Connor (Singin' in the Rain), and Bobby Darin's music, I'll have to give it a try.

Citizen Rules 10-19-14 10:11 PM

Hey somebody who likes Bobby Darin. I hadn't really heard his music before, I just knew him as the singer who married Sandra Dee. But man he's got great vocal control like Sinatra does on the song More.

Brent Spiner really steals the movie! Showing just how good of an actor he really is. He has a fairly big role too. I loved the scene where he's off stage and introduces himself by using a different voice. He sings in the movie too. Now I just got to find a cruise ship with Brent Spiner as the cruise director. That been a blast.

It's too bad Donald O'Connor and Hal Linden had smaller roles. Though there both good in it.

Wolfsbane 10-21-14 11:14 PM

I dig Never Let Me Go, but it drags in a lot of scenes to be honest, which made me look at my watch more than once.

Citizen Rules 10-29-14 02:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537479655

The Last Castle (2001)

Director: Rod Lurie
Cast: Robert Redford, James Gandolfini, Mark Ruffalo

Robert Redford plays a general who's been court
martialed and sent to a corrupt military prison. The General is a highly decorated war veteran, respected for his personal integrity and loyalty to the men under his command. However in military prison he has no rank and no privileges. But his integrity is rock solid and he commands the respect of his fellow inmates.

He has one enemy, the prison warden. A man who has never been in battle. A man who's jealous of the General and will stop at nothing in his attempts to break the General.

Sounds good? The problem is Redford has no
charisma in this role. The movie is predictable and fails to give the viewer any intellectual insight into the workings of a military prison. And for those viewers who expect to see an action film. There's not much action either.

cricket 10-29-14 08:57 PM

Those are some out of the blue movies you're reviewing there, Citizen. That can be very helpful in finding hidden gems.

gbgoodies 10-29-14 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1195773)

http://xesiontube.net/wp-content/upl.../images122.jpg

The Last Castle (2001)

Director: Rod Lurie
Cast: Robert Redford, James Gandolfini, Mark Ruffalo

Robert Redford plays a court
martialed General, who's sent to a corrupt military prison. The General is a highly decorated war veteran, respected for his personal integrity and loyalty to the men under his command. In military prison he has no rank and no privileges. But his integrity is rock solid and he commands the respect of the inmates.

He has one enemy, the prison warden. A man who has never been in battle. A man who's jealous of the General and will stop at nothing in his attempts to break the General.

Sounds good? The problem is Redford has no
charisma in this role. The movie is predictable and fails to give the viewer any intellectual insight into the workings of a military prison. And for those viewers who expect to see an action film. There's not much action either.

I like Robert Redford, but I've never seen The Last Castle because it didn't sound like my kind of movie anyway. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you're recommending this movie, so guess I'll pass on this one, at least for now.

BTW, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but Out to Sea is on my watchlist. If I ever catch up with the 2014 Movie Tournament, the animation list, and the 5th HOF, it's at the top of my list.

mark f 10-29-14 09:39 PM

The Last Castle is a little better. :)

seanc 10-29-14 09:41 PM

I saw Last Castle at the theater but remember next to nothing about it. Never a good sign.

Citizen Rules 10-29-14 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1195969)
Those are some out of the blue movies you're reviewing there, Citizen. That can be very helpful in finding hidden gems.
Thanks Cricket, that's nice of you to say:) Geez, if I reviewed each movie as I watched it...you guys would be thinking, 'what the heck kind of movies does CR watch!' Last night I watched an obscure film, They Call it Sin.

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1195996)
I like Robert Redford, but I've never seen The Last Castle because it didn't sound like my kind of movie anyway. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you're recommending this movie, so guess I'll pass on this one, at least for now.

BTW, I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but Out to Sea is on my watchlist. If I ever catch up with the 2014 Movie Tournament, the animation list, and the 5th HOF, it's at the top of my list.
Wow, you watch a lot of movies GBG! It's great you participate so much on the board. Well when you get the time, check Out to Sea.

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1196003)
The Last Castle is a little better. :)
Mark, I can understand that, I never know if I should rate the movie on my personal reaction or rate it against other movers of the similar genre. I usually go with a personal rating.

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1196006)
I saw Last Castle at the theater but remember next to nothing about it. Never a good sign.
I know how you feel Sean, I have the worlds worst memory. If you asked me in a month about this movie, I wouldn't hardly remember it.:(

Citizen Rules 10-30-14 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537479852

Phantom (2013)

Director:
Todd Robinson
Cast:
Ed Harris, Julian Adams, David Duchovny

Phantom tells the very speculative story of a Soviet nuclear equipped sub K-129, that actually sank in 1968 off the coast of Hawaii. The facts of the mystery sub are classified to this very day. That part the movie got right...but according to this movie the sub was commandeered by KGB agents in a dangerous 'rogue attempt'...I won't say anymore as it might spoil the surprise.

If you're looking for a Das Boot or The Hunt for Red October type movie, you won't find it here. Phantom is a well made action adventure film, that's all. Short on character development, it does have the Soviet sub looking authentic.

Ed Harris plays the captain of the Soviet sub. He's a fine actor but don't look for him to have much meat to his role. David Duchovny plays the fanatical rogue KGB agent. No one in this film even attempts a Russian accent. Oh well, I doubt it would have matter anyway.

Citizen Rules 11-01-14 10:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Starship Troopers (1997)

Director:
Paul Verhoeven
Cast: Casper Van Dien, Denise Richards, Dina Meyer, Jake Busey, Neil Patrick Harris, Michael Ironside

If you think Starship Troopers is a no-brainier flick with nothing to say, you'd be wrong. This rock 'em sock 'em movie, loosely based on Robert Heinlein's best selling novel is much more than just space marines battling giant bugs on an alien planet.

Starship Troopers delivers a powerfully conflicting message on the dangers of over zealot flag waving and the folly of demonizing your enemy without knowing them.

At first the film looks like a simple sci-fi action story about an alien insect planet that has evil plans to destroy Earth with their asteroid bombs. Later we find out that the alien bugs are brainless and act out of pure instinct. Which seems to suggest that the Human's war effort is misguided by the militaristic government. At the end of the movie however, they encounter a 'smart bug' which perhaps justifies Earth's fear. Or perhaps not? It's a conflicting message.

The movie cleverly indoctrinates the viewer into it's message by showing us, ultra patriotic Nazi style propaganda clips. These clips on shown on the fictions 'Federal Network'. It's no coincidence that the military officers are audaciously dressed in pseudo Nazi uniforms. The films propaganda news clips rallies one's militarist side....'the enemy is evil...they must be destroyed!'

War”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFuaYA-daw

New military recruits are indoctrinated into fighting soldiers by an ultra patriotic instructor, played by Michael Ironside. The recruits are taught the differences between a full fledged Citizen who has earned the right to vote, and a Civilian who has not served in the military and so has no voting rights. The following scene is well done, especially as Michael Ironside gives his citizenship speech to teen students who are more interested in flirting with each other. The arm bit at the end is good too.

The Failure of Democracy”
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvAsR4O4W0w
On the surface Starship Troopers works as an action packed, special effects movie. But look deeper and it's a clever parody of ultra-militarism.

honeykid 11-01-14 10:59 PM

I bloody love Starship Troopers. The one glaring omission from my 100. Enjoyed your review. :up:

Citizen Rules 11-01-14 11:04 PM

Thank you Honeykid! It took me a loooong time to write it, so I'm glad to hear someone liked it....

I know I've seen MoFo members with Starship Troopers as one of the favorites. So any thoughts on the movie from you guys, even if you think I'm nuts is OK:)

gbgoodies 11-01-14 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1188996)
Out To Sea (1997)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51T2V4ZM1KL.jpg

Watch this just for fun. There's a great cast of old time actors and a few laughs too.

Think of Out To Sea like an episode of The Love Boat with the Grumpy Old Men duo of Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau looking for romance on the high seas.

Into that mix add such old time familiar faces as: Donald O'Connor (his last film), Hal Linden, Dyan Cannon, Rue McClanahan and Brent Spiner. Set on a cruise ship, a real cruise ship, the Holland American Westerdam.

Sure Walter Matthau is way too old for Dyan Cannon but that won't stop him from pursuing her and her money. Jack Lemmon is reluctantly pursued by a classy older lady, Gloria DeHaven.

Brent Spiner is hilarious as the sniveling, pompous Cruise Director. He does a good British accent too.

I've been on cruises and Out To Sea is the only movie I've seen that is actually filmed on a real cruise ship. Many of the sets are real locations on the Westerdam. So if you can't afford a cruise, just watch Out To Sea and you won't even get sea sick.

I just finished watching Out To Sea, and this was another great pick. Like you said, it's a fun movie with a lot of familiar old-timers.

As expected, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are a lot of fun in this movie, but IMO, Brent Spiner stole the movie. He was great in every scene that he's in. Unfortunately Hal Linden and Donald O'Connor were wasted in this movie. I would have loved to see both of them get more screen time.

gbgoodies 11-01-14 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1197675)

I haven't seen Starship Troopers, but based on your review and your rating, I will definitely add this movie to my watchlist.

The Rodent 11-02-14 01:50 AM

Summed up pretty much everything I love about Starship Troopers... :up:

Also why it's in my Top 10 too.

Citizen Rules 11-02-14 01:33 PM

Thanks Rodent. We haven't 'talked' much since I came to MoFo but I'd like to remedy that:)

I see you have Starship Troopers as one of your favorites. Some people agree with the analogy that the film is a parody of military propaganda. Others see it differently. And some see it just as one heck of a fun action packed movie.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you interrupt the movie?

christine 11-02-14 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1186638)
Never Let Me Go
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_O6xLvXpZlO...go-4-6e05f.jpg

What a beautifully made movie Never Let Me Go is. The art direction, the lighting and the scenes are stunningly beautiful. The cinematography is carefully controlled, sublime. The color pallet of the film is soft pastels, filmed in diffusion. Like a work of art from the 19th century French Impressionist art movement, Never Let Me Go (2010) is minimalist cinema, fused with art.

Based on the best selling novel by Kazuo Ishiguro. The film tells the somber story of a group of children raised in isolation at a British boarding school in 1975. The students are clones, whose only purpose in life is to be organ donors for others. As they graduate from school and enter adult hood, they are moved to communal living quarters, where they await their assignments as organ donors.

The director Mark Romanek does a superb job of delivering a subtle, somber story, beautifully done with ambiance and self reflection. From the cinematography to the haunting yet subtle music score, every element of the film is in harmony with the minimalist storyline.

Academy nominated, Carey Mulligan plays a young woman-donor clone, coming to grips with the meaning of her short life. Academy nominated, Keira Knightley along with Andrew Garfield make up the fine cast of talented British actors, who make the film so believable.

Don't think for a moment that Never Let Me Go, is Sci Fi, it's not. Don't think it's about people fighting back and escaping their fate, it's not. The film, like the book is a metaphor for what we strive for, a meaning to our existence.

Did you read the book Citizen? It's so good. I liked the film too, the cast were great, but the book had another extra layer of wistfulness that's hard to put in a film.
Nice choice :)

christine 11-02-14 01:40 PM

Dead Man is a great film too. I don't think I've seen a Jim Jarmusch film I haven't liked

Citizen Rules 11-02-14 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1197719)
I just finished watching Out To Sea, and this was another great pick. Like you said, it's a fun movie with a lot of familiar old-timers.

As expected, Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau are a lot of fun in this movie, but IMO, Brent Spiner stole the movie. He was great in every scene that he's in. Unfortunately Hal Linden and Donald O'Connor were wasted in this movie. I would have loved to see both of them get more screen time.

I'm really happy when someone takes a chance on a movie I liked, and watches it. I knew you'd like it too! I agree with everything you said about it. Brent Spiner is really talented, he makes the movie.

For those who haven't seen this film, it's not amazing, but it's fun light comedy.

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 1197720)
I haven't seen Starship Troopers, but based on your review and your rating, I will definitely add this movie to my watchlist.
Based on what I know about your movie taste, I'm not sure if you will like this. BUT if you watched the two video clips then you have a perfect idea of what to expect. You've been fore warned;)

Citizen Rules 11-02-14 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by christine (Post 1197901)
Dead Man is a great film too. I don't think I've seen a Jim Jarmusch film I haven't liked
Christine, I haven't seen any other Jim Jarmusch films. I just looked at his filmography and it looks like he has some interesting films. Do you have a couple of recommendations? I know, you don't know me good enough to guess my taste in movies....I don't like really violent stuff. Dead Man was not too violent for me.

No, I didn't read the book Never Let Me Go. I don't read much. I bet the book was awesome thought. I did hear an interview with the author.

christine 11-02-14 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1197907)
Christine, I haven't seen any other Jim Jarmusch films. I just looked at his filmography and it looks like he has some interesting films. Do you have a couple of recommendations? I know, you don't know me good enough to guess my taste in movies....I don't like really violent stuff. Dead Man was not too violent for me.

No, I didn't read the book Never Let Me Go. I don't read much. I bet the book was awesome thought. I did hear an interview with the author.
My favourite is probably Down By Law but I like all the others I've seen - Stranger Than Paradise, Broken Flowers, Mystery Train. I really like Ghost Dog too, but there is violence in that obviously as it's about a hit man, but I wouldn't say it was that gory.

Citizen Rules 11-02-14 08:39 PM

Thanks for that list. I read the synopsis on them and I picked Mystery Train to watch. I will try and do a review when I see it.You haven't steered me wrong yet with your movie suggestions:)

Citizen Rules 11-05-14 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537480800

All That Heaven Allows (1955)
The Criterion Collection

Director: Douglas Sirk
Cast: Jane Wyman, Rock Hudson, Agnes Moorehead

Don't think because this has a couple big name Hollywood stars that it's a typical Hollywood movie. It's not.

All that Heaven Allows
flies in the face of 1950's conventionalism with a refreshing message that rejects wealth and status, while searching for personal freedom.

The mid 50s were a time when Americans clutched to time honored traditions. McCarthyism and the 'red scare' was prevalent. Those individuals who bucked the system by marching to a different drummer risked being ostracized by their neighbors.

Jane Wyman plays a well-to-do, widowed woman in a small New England town. The society women at the country club don't approve of her relationship with a younger man who's a simply gardener, played by Rock Hudson. Her life is made miserable by the town's bigotry and the pressure to conform. Even her own children refuse to accept her relationship with a common working man.

On the outskirts of town is a small group of people who have rejected the need for wealth and status, choosing to live a simply country life instead.

"Don't give importance to things that aren't important." That's the motto the gardener lives by. He refuses to be embarrassed by his old car and his simply life style. The widow has to choose between confirming to her rich friends wishes or choosing love.

The Criterion Collection DVD is beautifully restored. The technicolor and quality of the print is amazing.

All That Heaven Allows has a somber tone, with an uplifting message. It's worthy of any cinema lover.

MovieGal 11-05-14 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1199993)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413VO5GNhmL.jpg

The Criterion Collection

Don't think because this has a couple big name Hollywood stars that it's a typical Hollywood movie. It's not.

All that Heaven Allows
flies in the face of 1950's conventionalism with a refreshing message that rejects wealth and status, while searching for personal freedom.

The mid 50s were a time when Americans clutched to time honored traditions. McCarthyism and the 'red scare' was prevalent. Those individuals who bucked the system by marching to a different drummer risked being ostracized by their neighbors.

Jane Wyman plays a will-to-do, widowed woman in a small New England town. The society women at the country club don't approve of her relationship with a younger man who's a simply gardener, played by Rock Hudson. Her life is made miserable by the town's bigotry and the pressure to conform. Even her own children refuse to accept her relationship.

On the outskirts of town is a small group of people who have rejected the need for wealth and status, choosing to live a simply country life.

"Don't give importance to things that aren't important." That's the motto the gardener lives by. He refuses to be embarrassed by his old car and his simply life style. The widowed has to choose between confirming to her rich friends wishes or choosing love.

The Criterion Collection DVD is beautifully restored. The technicolor and quality of the print is amazing.

All That Heaven Allows has a somber tone, with an uplifting message. It's worthy of any cinema lover.

I think this is a film I might enjoy... thanks CR!

Citizen Rules 11-05-14 11:05 PM

MovieGal, I was actually thinking about you when I wrote my review. I was going to PM you and suggest that you might like it. I had no clue what the film was going to be like. I don't think I did the mood of the film justices. VERY few films have 'changed me' but this film is in a way like American Beauty. In that we realize giving other people power over us by allowing them to look down their noses, is not the way to happiness.

MovieGal 11-05-14 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1200003)
MovieGal, I was actually thinking about you when I wrote my review. I was going to PM you and suggest that you might like it. I had no clue what the film was going to be like. I don't think I did the mood of the film justices. VERY few films have 'changed me' but this film is in a way like American Beauty. In that we realize giving other people power over us by allowing them to look down their noses, is not the way to happiness.
I thin you and I have some film taste in common.. so always suggest away.... you know older films more than I do.... but I have to say one of my favorite old films is "Dragonwyck"... love love that film!

cricket 11-05-14 11:14 PM

I've never heard of that one but it sure sounds worth checking out.

mark f 11-05-14 11:19 PM

It was remade by Fassbinder as Ali: Fear Eats the Soul You guys may like several Douglas Sirk movies from the '50s. :)

cricket 11-05-14 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1200018)
It was remade by Fassbinder as Ali: Fear Eats the Soul You guys may like several Douglas Sirk movies from the '50s. :)
That's interesting; I liked Ali.

Citizen Rules 11-05-14 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1200005)
I thin you and I have some film taste in common.. so always suggest away.... you know older films more than I do.... but I have to say one of my favorite old films is "Dragonwyck"... love love that film!
You talked me into it;) I just requested it. Actually I'm surprised I hadn't seen it as I've seen many Gene Tierney films.

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1200014)
I've never heard of that one but it sure sounds worth checking out.
Cricket, I'd say it's a great story and directed well. Rock Hudson isn't the most dramatic actor, he's better at light comedy. But the film is really about Jane Wyman and she's good in a reserved way, sort of like Deborah Kerr.

Originally Posted by mark f (Post 1200018)
Good suggestion Mark, I just looked and he does have a lot of interesting 50s films, I'll have to request them. The only other one I've seen is Intimation of Life.

gbgoodies 11-05-14 11:35 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1199993)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/413VO5GNhmL.jpg

The Criterion Collection

All that Heaven Allows

Jane Wyman plays a will-to-do, widowed woman in a small New England town. The society women at the country club don't approve of her relationship with a younger man who's a simply gardener, played by Rock Hudson. Her life is made miserable by the town's bigotry and the pressure to conform. Even her own children refuse to accept her relationship.

On the outskirts of town is a small group of people who have rejected the need for wealth and status, choosing to live a simply country life.

"Don't give importance to things that aren't important." That's the motto the gardener lives by. He refuses to be embarrassed by his old car and his simply life style. The widow has to choose between confirming to her rich friends wishes or choosing love.

This movie sounds so familiar that I went to check my DVD shelves to see if I have it, but I can't seem to find it. I'm pretty sure that I've seen it, but it may have been on TCM or some other movie channel. (Either that, or Mom stole another DVD.)

I don't think it's something that I watched recently, because I can't really remember much about it, so I'll have to add it to my watchlist and see if I've seen it already or not. (If I'm right, I'll probably be about 3/4 into the movie before it starts to look familiar, and then I'll remember the ending.)

Citizen Rules 11-05-14 11:41 PM

GBG, does this picture ring a bell, Hudson remodels an old flour mill to live in.
http://eng304sp11.files.wordpress.co...n-2hn8ke53.jpg

Oh, my wife just informed me we did see another Douglas Sirk film with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman, Magnificent Obsession

mark f 11-05-14 11:43 PM

It also was redone as Far from Heaven with Julianne Moore, Dennis Haysbert and Dennis Quaid.

gbgoodies 11-05-14 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1200058)
GBG, does this picture ring a bell, Hudson remodels an old flour mill to live in.
http://eng304sp11.files.wordpress.co...n-2hn8ke53.jpg

Oh, my wife just informed me we did see another Douglas Sirk film with Rock Hudson and Jane Wyman, Magnificent Obsession

I'm not sure, but it looks vaguely familiar. If I did see the movie, it's been a long time, so it's time for a rewatch anyway. If I had to guess, I probably saw it on TCM when they did a Rock Hudson tribute day. I tend to watch those tribute days when the actor featured is someone I like, like Rock Hudson.

I have Magnificent Obsession on the DVR right now, but I haven't watched it yet. I think TCM aired it about a month ago, but I never got around to watching it. Maybe I'll watch those two movies as a double-feature one night.

Citizen Rules 11-07-14 02:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537480998
The Hired Hand (1971)

Director: Peter Fonda
Writer: Alan Sharp
Cinematography: Vilmos Zsigmond
Editing & Montage: Frank Mazzola
Production Design: Lawrence G. Paul
Musical Score: Bruce Langhorne

Cast: Peter Fonda, Warren Oates, Verna Bloom

On rare occasions we cinema lovers will stumble upon an obscure film that leaves us wondering why we hadn't heard of it before. The Hired Hand is one of those hidden gems.

The film came into being as a result of the huge success of a small independent film made in 1969, Easy Rider. Universal Studios was keen to repeat their financial success by giving Peter Fonda full artistic control. He was able to choose the cast, the locations, the cinematographer, editor, the music score, etc. Fonda even had control over the final edit of the film.

Fonda set out to make a western like nothing that had been done before. According to Fonda, his aim was to put the viewer literally into the film. He does this by capturing the solitude and isolation of the old west. The film moves deliberately slow, matching the pace of life in the old west. The cinematography enhances that isolation with use of wide angle lenses on the long shots. The Hired Hand is like a moment in time duplicated on film. One can believe this is how the old west really was.

The cinematography is amazing, it utilizes controlled depth of field, back-lighting and silhouettes to impart an artistic feeling. The edits between the scenes use long dissolve montages for a unique poetic look. There are more stunning sunsets in this film, than you ever seen in your life.

The story is told in a minimalist fashion. We don't know the back story of the two main characters, played by Peter Fonda and Warren Oates. We learn of their characters through their interaction with each other. Fonda's character is conflicted, quiet and brooding. Oates in comparison is the everyday man, traveling life's road to wherever it takes him. Verna Bloom is perfect as a realistic pioneer woman...staunch and unwavering with strong feminist views of sex and self.

The music score is unique. The instruments used for the score are all period specific to the old west. The music is hauntingly beautiful, departing a forlorn, soulful feeling to the film.

The Hired Hand
won the New York Film Critics Circle Awards in 1971. Sadly Universal Studios decided to pull the film from the theaters after only 1 week. In 2001 the film was beautifully restored and is available as a Collectors Edition which has the same cut as original shown in 1971.

Citizen Rules 11-07-14 02:58 PM

You know, if The Hired Hand was a foreign film with English sub titles it would be considered an avant garde classic and be on many top list here.

Sadly the studio that bank rolled the film, Universal Studios, touted it as another Easy Rider. The audiences expected to see Captain America in the old west, but what they got was a cutting edge art film. The critics respected it but the ticket sales were weak so the film was pulled and just about forgotten.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you guys need to watch this one.

christine 11-07-14 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by MovieGal (Post 1200005)
I read Dragonwyck back when my mum read all the Anya Seton books . I wasn't allowed an adult library ticket cos I was too young but my mum gave me hers so I used to pretend I was getting books for my ma. I loved her books, they were so dramatic, maybe even melodramatic but nice to remember back then

cricket 11-07-14 11:05 PM

Never heard of The Hired Hand before, but I just looked it up and it sounds very interesting. I put it on my watchlist.

Citizen Rules 11-07-14 11:25 PM

Cricket, if you watch it let me know. If you post about it to the, Rate The Last Movie You Saw, please message me as I don't always look at that thread. I'm very interested in hearing what other MoFo's think of this film.

cricket 11-07-14 11:38 PM

Will do

Captain Spaulding 11-08-14 06:19 AM

After falling in love with Easy Rider, I watched several movies starring Peter Fonda, stuff like Dirty Mary, Crazy Larry, The Trip, Race with the Devil, as well as The Hired Hand. I'm surprised to see anyone review it, since it is a very obscure film, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. I'd probably give it
. I thought Fonda's intentions were well-meaning, but that he tried too hard to make the film artsy and meditative without the technical skill behind the camera to really pull it off. To be honest, though, I don't remember much about the film as a whole. If I get a chance to revisit it at some point, maybe it will make more of an impact on me.

Citizen Rules 11-08-14 01:28 PM

Captain, it's good to hear someone else watched, The Hired Hand and seen my review. The movie struck a cord with me, so I'm hoping a few people will give it a chance.

You mentioned watching other Fonda films after you had seen and fallen in love with Easy Rider...I think a lot of people have done that and found Easy Rider is one of a kind. Even when The Hired Hand was first released, people loved Easy Rider and were disappointed they didn't get the same character. The studio trailer and print advertising did not help.

Do these look like what you seen in The Hired Hand?
http://cf.badassdigest.com/_uploads/...ured__span.jpg
http://eaglethunder.com/wp-content/u...Hired-Hand.jpg

In some ways The Hired Hand is an antithesis of Easy Rider and that goes against it. But on it's own it's a unique quiet film.

Citizen Rules 11-08-14 11:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Scaramouche (1952)

Director: George Sidney
Cast: Stewart Granger, Janet Leigh, Eleanor Parker, Mel Ferrer
MGM studio
Technicolor 115 minutes

Scaramouche isn't a foreign film, though it's set during the French Revolution. It isn't a swashbuckling matinee movie, even though it has one of the most elaborate fencing scenes ever done. It's not a comedy and not a musical, though there's humorous moments and the costumes are elaborate.

What Scaramouch is... it's a well done, sophisticated telling of a 1921 novel about nobility and revenge during the French Revolution. The film contains elements of intrigue, heroism, romance, danger
and action. All the things you might find in a 'sword and costume' movie. But look deeper and you'll see strong acting, with an intelligent story and high production values.

If you've never see Stewart Granger in a film, he's excellent in his role as a man who must disguise himself from the authorities with a clown's mask, a scaramouche. His adversary
Mel Ferrer, is a powerful, ruthless nobleman who takes great pleasure in sword duels, as he is undefeated. Both men give their all to their performances and studied vigorously for the fencing scenes which adds to the believablity of the duels.

Elanor Parker is looking lovely in this film, but the main draw is her superb acting. Three times in her life she was nominated by the Oscars for Best Actress. In this film she plays a fiery stage performer and plays it with gusto.

Equally lovely is a young Janet Leigh, who plays a
ingénue in Marie Antoinette's court. She has the misfortune of being pursued by both Granger and Ferrer. This is one of her first films where she had a substantial part. Fans of Miss Leigh will not be disappointed.

The care that went into making Scaramouche shows in the decadently amazing costumes and sets...and with the beautiful technicolor print, each scene is a visual feast for the eyes.

cricket 11-08-14 11:39 PM

That's another I've never heard of that sounds extremely interesting.

Citizen Rules 11-08-14 11:43 PM

I wasn't planning on writing any reviews for awhile BUT I seen it and just had to let you guys know about it.

Can I ask you (or anybody), is the font size that I used for the review hard to read?

cricket 11-08-14 11:46 PM

It looks very good to me on my iPhone.

Citizen Rules 11-08-14 11:50 PM

Cool, thanks bud! I'm heading out for now.:)

mark f 11-08-14 11:59 PM

Looks good and i agree with your thoughts. Here's the longest "review" of mine I could fimd for it.
Originally Posted by mark f (Post 445752)
Scaramouche (George Sidney, 1952)
- This riproaring, romantic, action-adventure plays loose with the Rafael Sabatini novel, but it's crammed with plenty of style, wit and nonstop entertainment. Stewart Granger is terrific, whether he's romancing Eleanor Parker or Janet Leigh, trying to avoid being captured for treason or skewered by France's best, yet extremely-unlikable, swordsman (Mel Ferrer). Granger is also very funny when he hides out with an acting troupe and plays the fool Scaramouche on stage. This film, set during the reign of Marie Antoinette's France with the winds of revolution stirring, contains much swordplay, and, in many ways, is reminiscent of The Three Musketeers. The plot is extremely strong and the pace is extremely fast. The only thing which could top the beautifully-staged final duel is the actual final scene which will not be revealed here.

cricket 11-09-14 12:04 AM

Wow that's 2 strong recs turning it into a must see.

Citizen Rules 11-09-14 02:54 PM

Thanks for posting your review Mark. I enjoyed reading it.

I looked for other reviews here of Scaramouche but couldn't find any, so I'm glad to read that someone has seen this film.

BTW, I should 'borrow' your word skewered, I like that, very colorful verbiage.:)

I agree with you when you say: "in many ways, is reminiscent of The Three Musketeers"....I'd say Scaramouche has a much less campy-comic feel to it. It's more serious, with an intelligences to the story that is aimed at adults. Like you said, "The plot is extremely strong"...it is indeed and that's what I liked about it.

cricket 11-09-14 07:31 PM

If Netflix doesn't screw up, I'll be watching Scaramouche next Saturday.

Citizen Rules 11-13-14 12:18 AM

5 Attachment(s)
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/__7s9GUTM-o...600/cinder.JPG
Cinderella (1957)

Aired Date: March 31st 1957
Produced by: CBS

Director: Ralph Nelson
Writer: Oscar Hammerstein
Musical Numbers: Rodgers and Hammerstein

Cast:
Julie Andrews... Cinderella
Ilka Chase... Stepmother
Kaye Ballard... Stepsister Portia
Alice Ghostley... Stepsister Joy
Edie Adams... Fairy Godmother
Jon Cypher... Prince Christopher

On March 31 1957, TV broadcast history was made when 120 million people tuned into CBS to watch the Rodgers and Hammerstein made for TV musical, Cinderella. What made this production so special was it was performed live on TV and marked the first time Rodgers and Hammerstein had wrote especially for TV audiences.

The broadcast was performed live at CBS Studio 72 in New York. The highly anticipated broadcast was show in color and starred a fresh new face, Julie Andrews. At the time of the broadcast Julie Andrews was starring in one of the hottest Broadway shows, My Fair Lady.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...1&d=1485538347
Studio rehearsals of what would be a live television broadcast.

Cinderella was well received by the audiences. However it was never shown again on TV and considered lost until a black and white kinescope recording was recently discovered.

The show itself is charming. It's the traditionally telling of Cinderella with a little jazzing up of the story. The musical numbers are as good as any by Rodgers and Hammerstein. There's 14 numbers total and 9 of those are songs with lyrics.

The cast was composed of talented people, mostly stage performers. Julie Andrews is charming as Cinderella. The prince is played by then newcomer Jon Cypher. The stepmother (Ilka Chase) was wonderful in her role as was the two step sisters played with comic gusto by Alice Ghostley and Kaye Ballard.

The quality of the kinescope to DVD is better than must transfers but not high quality. The sound is mono and doesn't do the music score justice. The sets are on a relatively small set and this was performed live, so it doesn't have a polished production look. But it does have one thing, a young Julie Andrews along with a fun energetic cast and great music numbers.

Cinderella and her stepmother and stepsisters. Left to Right: Alice Ghostley, Kaye Ballard, Julie Andrews, Ilka Chase.

Production Photo taken after the performance was over. Left to right: Edie Adams, Julie Andrews, Kaye Ballard.

gbgoodies 11-13-14 12:53 AM

I love the Julie Andrews version of Cinderella, but I've never been able to find a good quality copy of it anywhere. It's watchable, but I'd love to see a nice restored version released on DVD someday.

I think Julie Andrews has one of the most amazing voices ever.

Citizen Rules 11-13-14 01:35 PM

The DVD I had was an official release made by Image Entertainment.

This is what it looks like. (and I seen other DVD covers so those might be cheaply made copies?)

http://crslatnick.com/images/72833f.jpg

cricket 11-13-14 04:19 PM

I never heard of that Cinderella; I'll watch it for the 50's list.

Citizen Rules 11-13-14 09:00 PM

I doubt it will make a showing on the 50s list. But how knows, maybe I will vote for it.:)

Citizen Rules 11-13-14 09:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

The Man from Earth
(2007)

Director: Richard Schenkman
Writer: Jerome Bixby
Executive Producer: Emerson Bixby
Cast: David Lee Smith, Tony Todd, John Billingsley, Ellen Crawford, Annika Peterson, William Katt

A college professor feels it's time for him to leave his job and his life behind. He quits his position at the college and prepares to move away. His friends get together at a remote mountain cabin for a surprise goodbye party. As the evening progresses his friends begin to notice odd little things about him and question just why is it that he's leaving? Through out the evening he decides to tell an amazing story....he's actual a 14,000 year old man born during the Paleolithic stone age who doesn't age. He explains he has lived many lives and known many renowned people through out history and perhaps has shaped mankind's culture...or is he just spinning a tall tale?

The Man From Earth was written by the famous sci fi & Star Trek screen writer, Jerome Bixby. This is his last work. The film was made after his passing by his son Emerson Bixby who promised his father to be true to the story. Jerome Bixby also wrote the original Star Trek episode: Requiem for Methuselah, which has similarities to this film.

The Man From Earth is a small budget, Indie film. Shot on only one location, a remote cabin in the mountains. This is a dialogue rich, existential film about how people would treat a friend who they have learned is an immortal. A thought provoking study of human strengths and fears.

gbgoodies 11-13-14 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1203843)

The Man from Earth (2007)

Cast: David Lee Smith, Tony Todd, John Billingsley, Ellen Crawford, Annika Peterson, William Katt

A college professor feels it's time for him to leave his job and life behind. He quits his position at the college and prepares to move away. His friends however get together for a surprise goodbye party at a remote mountain cabin. As the evening progresses his friends begin to notice odd little things about him and question just why is it that he's leaving? Through out the evening he decides to tell an amazing story....he's actual a 14,000 year old man, born during the Paleolithic stone age, who doesn't age. He explains he has lived many lives and known many renowned people through out history. And perhaps has shaped man kinds culture...or is he just spinning a tall tale?

The Man From Earth was written by the famous sci fi & Star Trek screen writer, Jerome Bixby. This is his last work. The film was made after his passing, by his son Emerson Bixby who promised his father to be true to the story. Jerome Bixby also wrote the original Star Trek episode: Requiem for Methuselah, which has similarities to this film.

The Man From Earth is a small budget, Indy film. Shot on only one location, a remote cabin in the mountains. This is a dialogue rich, existential film about how people would treat a friend who they have learned is an immortal. A thought provoking study of human strengths and fears.

I watched The Man from Earth a while back when it was recommended to me, (probably by you), and I thought it was a great movie. It's one of those movies that you keep thinking about long after the movie is over.

BTW, "Requiem for Methuselah" is one of my favorite "Star Trek" episodes.

Citizen Rules 11-13-14 09:30 PM

It was me;)

I think about that movie too. So simply done with a limited budget and yet powerful.

Captain Spaulding 11-13-14 11:33 PM

I had never heard of The Man From Earth until recently when Neiba included it on his favorites list. It sounds like a very interesting movie. It's definitely on my watch list now.

Citizen Rules 11-13-14 11:36 PM

Captain if you watch it, I will look for your post on it. There was a couple of plot developments that I didn't like, but overall it was memorable. Different that's for sure.

Citizen Rules 11-16-14 03:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)

Director: Steve De Jarnatt
Cast: David Andrews, Pamela Gidley, Melanie Griffith

A cult classic sci fi film made in 1985 but not shown in USA until 1988. Reportedly the film was held for release to cash in on Melanie Griffith's rising fame.

It's the year 2017, the distant future...(OK it seemed distant when this was made back in 1985). Cherry 2000 was an android pleasure model, nicknamed Cherry. Cherry (Pamela Gidley) is literally one of a kind having been made before the post apocalyptic war when manufacturing standards were high.

This guy Sam (
David Andrews), a rich but lonely guy, had bought her and she was quite an expensive purchase too. I guess you could say he loved her. She loved him too, in an android type way. She tugs on his ear lobe and says in a sweet voice, 'I love you'. One day while getting busy on the kitchen floor she gets wet and blows out an android part (no kidding)... Sam forgot to keep her away from water and now she's broken.

Sam takes Cherry to the repair shop but is told because she's such a rare model, he'll have to buy a new android instead. Sam doesn't want a new model, he wants Cherry. The problem is a replacement Cherry 2000 can only be found in a lawless waste land, called Zone 7. So off Sam goes into the post apocalyptic sunset to get a replacement. Along the way he hires a rough and tumble tracker to help him, played by Melanie Griffith.... The girl tracker has the hots for Sam but he doesn't notice her. Later after riding around in her cool Mustang and rumbling with the local warlord...Sam has to decide between getting the part to fix Cherry or choosing Melanie Griffith. Hmmm tough choice...

Cherry 2000 is a fun, cult classic film. It might sound silly but it has lots of underpinnings of an economically depressed & fragmented society and explores the difficulties of male female relationships. The mid 1980s were a great time for Hollywood post apocalyptic movies. One thing is for sure you'll never look at Pepsi the same way.

cricket 11-16-14 05:08 PM

I saw Cherry 2000 back in the late 80's, but I don't remember it too well.

honeykid 11-16-14 05:13 PM

I don't remember it either. Just a feeling of disappointment.

mark f 11-16-14 05:25 PM

It's a fun, modest movie - one of my
s. :)

Captain Spaulding 11-17-14 08:21 AM

Never heard of Cherry 2000, but it looks entertaining.

Citizen Rules 11-17-14 01:16 PM

Captain, Cherry 2000 sort of has the same vibe as Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone (1983).

I wonder if the Tracker character played by a red haired Melanie Griffith was stylized after a version of Molly Ringwald's character Nikki in Spacehunter: Adventures in the Forbidden Zone?

I grew up on 1980s sci fi, so it has a place in my heart even if it's not always perfect.

Citizen Rules 11-20-14 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537579232
Under the Yum Yum Tree
(1963)

Director: David Swift
Cast
: Jack Lemmon, Carol Lynley, Dean Jones, Edie Adams
Writer: Lawrence Roman, (stage play & screenplay)

Based on the successful stage play of the same name.

Jack Lemmon is Hogan a swinging bachelor and rich landlord of a swanking apartment complex. His tenants are all beautiful young women. Hogan is quite successful at romancing the ladies too...with one exception, the new tenant Robin (Carol Lynely). Robin has rented an apartment with her fiancee Dave (Dean Jones). Her plan is for them to live together without sex, to see if they are compatible. Her fiancee is not to happy about this arrangement. Hogan is infatuated with young Robin and tries to trick her into a dalliance with him. Comedy ensues.

Under the Yum Yum Tree is a hilarious comedy indicative of it's time. Women recently had started taking the birth control pill, ushering in the second sexual revolution. And Hugh Hefner had glorified the swinging bachelor lifestyle. Films like this one were ground breaking in dealing with sex outside of marriage. Jack Lemmon has his own swinging bachelor pad too that must be seen to believed...it's decked out with remote control candles and stereo violins.

Lemmon is in top form in this movie, as is Disney movie veteran Dean Jones. Carol Lynely shines as the young idealistic woman. Edie Adams is just marvelous in this, so is Paul Lynde and Imogene Coca.

gbgoodies 11-20-14 03:54 PM

Under the Yum Yum Tree is on my watchlist for the 1963 movies, and it sounds like my kind of movie. I'm a fan of both Jack Lemmon and Dean Jones, so I'm really looking forward to this movie. :)

Citizen Rules 11-20-14 04:01 PM

Hey GBG, thanks for telling me about this movie! If it wasn't for this site and your suggestion I might never have seen it. It's pretty darn funny too. I hadn't seen much of Dean Jones but he's really good at comedy. I had just seen Edie Adams in the Cinderella 1957. She's just way funny in this. I have to see more of Edie's work. I just found out she had a TV series.

This is from IMDB trivia:

"In order to help his friend Edie Adams out financially, after the sudden death of her husband ('Ernie Kovacs') left her debt-ridden, star/co-producer Jack Lemmon not only insisted upon hiring her for this film, but further insisted that her part be expanded considerably from the original stage play to give her more work."

christine 11-20-14 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1203843)

The Man from Earth (2007)

A college professor feels it's time for him to leave his job and life behind. He quits his position at the college and prepares to move away. His friends however get together for a surprise goodbye party at a remote mountain cabin. As the evening progresses his friends begin to notice odd little things about him and question just why is it that he's leaving? Through out the evening he decides to tell an amazing story....he's actual a 14,000 year old man, born during the Paleolithic stone age, who doesn't age. He explains he has lived many lives and known many renowned people through out history. And perhaps has shaped man kinds culture...or is he just spinning a tall tale?

The Man From Earth was written by the famous sci fi & Star Trek screen writer, Jerome Bixby. This is his last work. The film was made after his passing, by his son Emerson Bixby who promised his father to be true to the story. Jerome Bixby also wrote the original Star Trek episode: Requiem for Methuselah, which has similarities to this film.

The Man From Earth is a small budget, Indy film. Shot on only one location, a remote cabin in the mountains. This is a dialogue rich, existential film about how people would treat a friend who they have learned is an immortal. A thought provoking study of human strengths and fears.

I haven't seen that, sounds really interesting. Jerome Bixby wrote my most favourite SF short story - It's a Good Life.

Citizen Rules 11-20-14 04:16 PM

Christine, I had to look up It's a Good Life...but now I remember it...
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2..._Good_Life.JPG

That was the most down right terrifying episode of the original Twilight Zone series. No wonder they redid that story in The Twilight Zone movie.

If you watch The Man From Earth, please post your thoughts on my thread. Even if you hate it, that's OK, I just really want to know what other people's impression is of the movie.

gbgoodies 11-23-14 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1206993)
http://www.lewiswaynegallery.com/ent...ment/20778.jpg
https://anotherfilmblog.files.wordpr...10/03/yum4.jpg

Under the Yum Yum Tree
(1963)

Director: David Swift
Cast
: Jack Lemmon, Carol Lynley, Dean Jones, Edie Adams
Writer: Lawrence Roman, (stage play & screenplay)

Based on the successful stage play of the same name.

Jack Lemmon is Hogan a swinging bachelor and rich landlord of a swanking apartment complex. His tenants are all beautiful young women. Hogan is quite successful at romancing the ladies too, with one exception, the new tenant Robin (Carol Lynely). Robin has rented an apartment with her fiancee Dave (Dean Jones). Her plan is for them to live together without sex, to see if they are compatible. Her fiancee is not to happy about this arrangement. Hogan is infatuated with young Robin and trys to trick her into a dalliance with him. Comedy ensues.

Under the Yum Yum Tree is a hilarious comedy indicative of it's time. Women recently had started taking the birth control pill, ushering in the second sexual revolution. And Hugh Hefner had glorified the swinging bachelor lifestyle. Films like this one were ground breaking in dealing with sex outside of marriage. Jack Lemmon has his own swinging bachelor pad too...decked out with remote control candles and stereo violins.

Lemmon is at top form in this movie, as is Disney movie veteran Dean Jones. Carol Lynely shines as the young idealistic women. Edie Adams is just marvelous in this. So is Paul Lynde and Imogene Coca.

I watched Under the Yum Yum Tree a couple of days ago, but I haven't had time to post about it yet.

It was a cute movie, but not as good as I had hoped. It's certainly not the best for either Jack Lemmon or Dean Jones. The acting was great, but there were some big name stars who seemed to be wasted in the movie, like Paul Lynde, Imogene Coca, Robert Lansing, and there was even a small cameo by Bill Bixby.

It had some laughs, but no real big ROTFLMBO laughs. It's worth watching, but it's not likely to make my top ten list for 1963, (however, Jack Lemmon's Irma la Douce has a good chance).

Maybe it just paled in comparison to the other movie that I watched that night, The Thrill of It All starring James Garner and Doris Day, which had me ROTFLMBO.

Citizen Rules 11-23-14 04:47 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Solaris (1972)

Director: Andrei Tarkovsky
Writers: Stanislaw Lem...novel. Fridrikh Gorenshteyn...screenplay.
Cast: Natalya Bondarchuk, Donatas Banionis, Jüri Järvet
Length: 2 hours 46 minutes
Language: Russian, English sub titles.

A Russian psychologist is reluctantly sent to a USSR space station that orbits a planet of a distant star. His mission is to find out what caused the former crew of the space station to go insane. On the space station he encounters elements from his own past that might be connected to an alien intelligence
...Citizen Rules

Solaris is an intriguing, psychological sci fi drama. It's worth watching...but be forewarned it's long with slow paced scenes. The slow pacing is intentional, it sets a reflective, pensive mood that starts with the opening shots and stays through to the end. Don't expect sci-fi gadgetry or action, Solaris is not that kind of film.

The film starts off with a beautifully filmed sequence in the Russian country side, the cinematography is breathtaking. The actor who played Berton the pilot was skilled at conveying a sense of uneasiness over what he had witnessed years ago in the Solaris ocean. This part riveted me.

Then there's a long car ride scene down a freeway into the city. The director was given permission to leave the Soviet Union to film at the Worlds Fair in Japan but missed the fair by days. Most likely the freeway scene is in the film to justify the expense of his trip to the Soviet film board.

The actor who played Kris Kelvin was stoic, as were most of the male actors in the film. However that might accurately reflect Soviet society in the early 1970s. I liked the actress who played Hari. Her character's vulnerability and neediness as a 'created copy' of a woman who had committed suicide 10 years earlier was the best part of the film. She brought dimension into her character.

Hari is fragile, even pitiful...she's utterly dependent on Kris. She doesn't own herself or her emotions. At first her existences is defined by a childlike dependence on Kris.

The scene on the station where Kris leaves Hari in the room by herself and she panics at the separation, forcing herself through an aluminum door, horribly gashing her arms, was one of the films most powerful moments.

I won't reveal the ending, I will say it's done in a poetic, metaphysical style.

gbgoodies 11-23-14 05:04 PM

I haven't seen the 1972 version of Solaris, but I love the remake with George Clooney. I've tried to watch the 1972 version a few times, but I haven't been able to sit through the whole movie for some reason.

I've heard a lot of great reviews of the 1972 version, so I'll have to keep trying. I think it will be worth it.

Citizen Rules 11-23-14 05:09 PM

GBG, You'll probably remember that I seen the George Clooney version first and I really like it too. Except for the ending which we talked about before.

The 1972 version REALLY requires the viewer's full attention. To get the most out of the film one needs to watch it twice. I've only seen it once. I need to rewatch it.

gbgoodies 11-23-14 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1208480)
GBG, You'll probably remember that I seen the George Clooney version first and I really like it too. Except for the ending which we talked about before.

The 1972 version REALLY requires the viewer's full attention. To get the most out of the film one needs to watch it twice. I've only seen it once. I need to rewatch it.

Yeah, I remember that discussion a while back. I watched the George Clooney version based on your recommendation. I'm still working on watching the 1972 version.

Citizen Rules 11-23-14 06:19 PM

:) I'm glad someone watches some of my recommendations.

I seen you mention John Cusack on another thread. I just seen him in an older Disney film.
The Journey of Natty Gann
(1985) Have you seen that?

gbgoodies 11-23-14 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1208504)
:) I'm glad someone watches some of my recommendations.

I seen you mention John Cusack on another thread. I just seen him in an older Disney film. The Journey of Natty Gann (1985) Have you seen that? My wife really liked it, so did I.

Yes, I've seen The Journey of Natty Gann. It's not my favorite John Cusack movie, but it's a good movie.

I think he's great in just about any movie he's in, but I like his romantic comedies best. My favorite movie of his is probably Serendipity (2001), and I also think he did a great job in the animated movie Anastasia (1997).

cricket 11-23-14 07:17 PM

Solaris is a fascinating high quality movie, but slow, long Sci-Fi is a tough watch for me.

I watched Scaramouche last night and gave it
It reminded me of The Adventures of Robin Hood, but the cast lacked the charisma of Hood's, especially from Errol Flynn. I also thought some of the settings looked subpar. Still, a very entertaining romantic adventure that was surprisingly funny. I really liked the 2 female leads.

honeykid 11-23-14 07:42 PM

I've not seen the original, but I recently (this year) saw the remake which, sadly, I thought was meh at best. It had its moments in terms of cinematography but mainly I just sat there. I think it's something I'd really have to be in the mood for and that's a mood I'm in less and less often.

Citizen Rules 11-23-14 09:41 PM

I watched Scaramouche last night and gave it
It reminded me of The Adventures of Robin Hood, but the cast lacked the charisma of Hood's, especially from Errol Flynn. I also thought some of the settings looked subpar. Still, a very entertaining romantic adventure that was surprisingly funny. I really liked the 2 female leads.
Cricket thanks for posting that, it's good to hear somebody else thoughts on it. Nobody tops Errol Flynn for charisma, maybe Cary Grant but in a different way. I liked the 2 female leads too:)

Originally Posted by honeykid (Post 1208544)
I've not seen the original, but I recently (this year) saw the remake which, sadly, I thought was meh at best. It had its moments in terms of cinematography but mainly I just sat there. I think it's something I'd really have to be in the mood for and that's a mood I'm in less and less often.
Like Cricket said the original Solaris is long and slow paced. There was a cut of it that was almost an hour shorter. That cut might have more impact, depending on what was edited. Generally I don't like directors cuts.

Citizen Rules 11-24-14 12:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537580069
Naked Lunch (1991)

Director: David Cronenberg
Writers: William S. Burroughs (novel), David Cronenberg
Cast: Peter Weller, Judy Davis, Ian Holm

A bug exterminator in the 1950s becomes addicted to his bug spray, he hallucinates and has a wild adventure as a secret agent writing a report on alien-bug activity at a mysterious port in Africa.

If the subject matter wasn't so dark, this would be a fun kids movie, like Mars Attacks!...but instead we get a story that is ridiculously wacky with cheesy looking aliens-bugs. I wanted to shut this off in the first half hour but I hoped it would get better, it never did. The notion of a poor, bug exterminator getting hooked on his bug spray and using it like a narcotic with hallucinations, could have been a clever, fresh idea. But thanks to an overly wacky script written by David Cronenberg, we get a story that waste the talents of Peter Weller by going way over the top to zaniness.

I actually did like the scenes of Weller's talking alien-bug typewriter. That was the best part of the film as the typewriter serves as a narrator and Weller's subconscious too, giving him a chance to interact with himself. Had the script backed off a bit from the extreme hallucination scenes, it might have worked. There's an adage, 'less is more'. This is more, much more.

The sets look great and are fascinating to see. They really give an illusion of a different reality. The art direction uses a rich pallet of warm colors, it's eye popping and that fits the mood of the film.

Even the direction is excellent with one biting exception....the director choice to use close ups of the alien-bug, holding the shots for a long time so that the viewer can easily see the alien is just a cheesy prop. Less would have been more here too.

If you want to see a film of this style by Cronenberg that actually works, watch Videodrome.

Naked Lunch, (the movie, not the novel) reminds me of something Hunter S Thompson might have done, only he would have done it up right. I'm giving high marks to Peter Weller who's always great in his films. And to the sets, art direction, editing, scoring and even directing.

cricket 11-24-14 11:23 PM

I've almost watched Naked Lunch a few times because of the director, but always decided that I probably wouldn't like it. I won't consider it again.

Citizen Rules 11-24-14 11:36 PM

You know funny thing, I was just bored and was updating my MoFo list and I seen Naked Lunch was #79 on the
Movie Forums: Top 100 of the 1990s. So somebody liked it.

cricket 11-25-14 09:24 PM

Well if it's on the 90's list I will watch it at some point.

Citizen Rules 11-25-14 09:59 PM

It took me a while to find the actual thread but here's a link to Naked Launch in the Top 90s Countdown. It looks like you guys had fun with that countdown. It was before my time.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...=32480&page=67

Citizen Rules 11-30-14 01:13 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Mystery Train (1989)

Director: Jim Jarmusch
Writer:Jim Jarmusch

Mystery Train is a small indie film set in a run down area of Memphis, Tennessee. Director & Writer, Jim Jarmuschshows us a slice of life by telling three separate stories of foreign travelers to Memphis. The events take place over a 24 hour period with all three stories having a commonality: the seedy Memphis Hotel.

Shot on location, the viewer is treated to a rarely seen side of the forgotten back streets of Memphis. The cinematography is semi documentary style with some amazing footage of urban decay. In one impressive shot there's a vacant lot on a desolate street...in the distance is the gleaming skyscrapers of downtown Memphis.

Segment: Far From Yokohama
Cast: Masatoshi Nagase, Yûki Kudô

This was my favorite segment. A young Japanese couple who are obsessed with Elvis and 1950s music, travel by train to Memphis on a pilgrimage to see Graceland. The script is fresh and we see American culture though their young eyes. The girl is very animated and bubbly, she's enamored with Elvis. In sharp contrast is her stoic boyfriend, who's quiet and jaded and just to cool to care. They speak in Japanese so there's English subtitles for most of this segment. Their story gives the viewer insight into how the teen couple far from Japan views the Memphis landscape and the locals there. I rate this segment 5/5

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537640881Segment: A Ghost
Cast: Nicoletta Braschi, Elizabeth Bracco

An Italian woman traveling in Memphis has to contend with schemers and tales of Elvis's ghost. Finally she encounters a ditzy, talkative woman who has just broken up with her British boyfriend and is in need of a hotel room, but has now money. This was my lest favorite of the three, still it's interesting. I rate this segment 3.5/5

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537640838Segment: Lost In Space
Cast: Joe Strummer, Rick Aviles, Steve Buscemi

Joe Strummer of the band The Clash is a Brit working in Memphis. He's got a temper and gets mad when people call him Elvis. Which they do all the time, thanks to his hair style. His girlfriend from the second segment has left him and he ends up drunk in a bar and packing a gun. Things go from bad to worse for him and his friends. I rate this segment 4/5

https://www.movieforums.com/communit...1&d=1537640871Memphis Hotel
Cast: Screamin'Jay Hawkins, Cinqué Lee

Not actually a segment but the glue that holds the other segments together. We never really learn much about these two men who work the front desk at the Memphis Hotel. Their characters are intriguing and we see that they have a back story but we never found out what it is exactly.

Mystery Train is an undiscovered gem. The director & writer Jim Jarmusch deserves praise for making such and interestingly fresh film that's a treat to watch.

Citizen Rules 11-30-14 07:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)
V for Vendetta (2005)

Director: James McTeigue
Cast: Hugo Weaving, Natalie Portman, Rupert Graves

A masked anarchist has a plan to bring down the tyrannical British government of the future. Based on a graphic novel written by Alan Moore.

I found V for Vendetta's message to be both disturbing and compelling...and that message is too dangerous to discuss here. I'm surprised the producer had the guts to use such strong subject matter in a film. It just goes to show that with a good presentation anyone can come along for the ride and cheer when the lever is pulled.

V for Vendetta is like many Sci-Fi action movies in that it has a duality to its story. During the fight sequences it has a comic book type feel, this works well with the action elements. But V for Vendetta dares to be different than your average comic book screen flick. The scenes where Evey (Natalie Portman) is imprisoned were somber and sobering...and yet uplifting in the message of overcoming one's innate fear of death. Powerful stuff!

V for Vendetta is done in a highly stylized, almost operatic style. The artistry is a thing of beauty and the production values are high. The cinematography, the music score, the sets and the acting are all first rate. It's strongest strengths are a blazing script alive with intelligent dialogue and laced with metaphoric phrases and stellar performances by Hugo Weaving and Natalie Portman.

cricket 11-30-14 08:05 PM

I've only seen one Jarmusch film so far(Dead Man), and I didn't like it at all. I still want to try more of his movies, and Mystery Train sounds like a good place to start.

V for Vendetta is an excellent movie.

Citizen Rules 11-30-14 08:31 PM

Mystery Train is far more accessible with a straight story, than Dead Man which is artsy-ecliptic. So you might like Mystery Train. I'm wanting to watch other Jarmusch films too. When I do I'll probable do a review.

gbgoodies 11-30-14 09:13 PM

I saw Dead Man and I thought it was a pretty good movie, but I wouldn't consider it one of my favorite movies. I rarely choose a movie by the director anyway, unless it's a director that I already know that I like most of their movies, like Steven Spielberg, Frank Capra or Billy Wilder.

I kind of feel the same way about V for Vendetta. I liked it, but I wouldn't consider it a favorite movie of mine. However I'm more likely to go back and re-watch V for Vendetta than Dead Man.

Citizen Rules 11-30-14 09:36 PM

A LOT of MoFos choose a movie based on the director. I don't usually do that as I prefer to choose based on subject matter. But Dead Man was interesting enough that I wanted to see more from Jarmusch.

If you take a look at your manage list and look at Roger Ebert's Great Movies list, Mystery Train is on there. Which doesn't mean everyone will like it. But if you watch you can cross it off the list, like I just did:)

Cobpyth 11-30-14 09:57 PM

Mystery Train is my favorite Jarmusch film. It's one of those films that I just randomly think about from time to time. I'm glad you noticed my review of the film and felt some of the same things I felt when watching this extraordinary film. :)

Citizen Rules 11-30-14 10:07 PM

Hey Cob, you know I really wish Jarmusch had made 2 films out of the script. I liked to have seen a full length movie on just the Japanese couple. And then the rest of the material left in Mystery Train with the hotel clerks role expanded.

I didn't mention this in my review but my favorite moment was when the Japanese couple were at the train station and an older man ask for a light for his cigar. Which they do.....He then says Arigatou...and the girl gets really excited saying 'he's speaking Japanese'...Then she says a bunch of stuff in Japanese to the man. Of course he doesn't have a clue as to what she's saying. I love that scene.

Citizen Rules 12-03-14 10:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
If....(1968)

Director: Lindsay Anderson
Writer:
David Sherwin
Cast:
Malcolm McDowell, David Wood, Richard Warwick
Production and Shooting: England UK

Mick Travis (Malcolm McDowell), "There's no such thing as a wrong war. Violence and revolution are the only pure acts."

If you liked Malcolm McDowell in A Clockwork Orange, you might like If....

If....
is a rather notorious British film that earned an X rating when it was first released in the UK for it's subject matter of anarchy aimed squarely at the British class system. This was the first movie in the UK to have full frontal nudity in it, which didn't help win over more conservative taste. Reportedly
a British ambassador once called the movie, "an insult to the nation".

And a member of the British Parliament after reading an earlier script of the movie called it, "the most evil and perverted script I've ever read. It must never see the light of day."

Malcolm McDowell is an impish rogue...a rebellious student, fighting the long established British class system in his school. He spends his time drinking, smoking, chasing girls and talking about revolution. His schoolmaster calls him a 'degenerate'.

Note: the ending might be disturbing to some due to recent news events. It's not graphic but is shocking in some ways. The nudity is a brief shot of an actress, pretty tame by today's standards but no doubt shocking in 1968.

I liked this film but the ending made me uncomfortable. I have no proof of this but this film might be the very start of the Punk movement and working class rejection of the British class system. John Lydon would approve of If....