Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Are YOU Frugal? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47928)

Captain Steel 01-30-17 11:23 PM

Are YOU Frugal?

For the New Year (or one month in anyway) - let's discuss Money Saving Tips!
And personal finances, simplification of lifestyle, and let's find out if you think you're a cheapskate or compulsive over-buyer who engages in "retail therapy"!

Swan 01-30-17 11:30 PM

Re: Are YOU Frugal?

No, I'm Swan.

Citizen Rules 01-30-17 11:45 PM

I'm the most frugal person around! I dare anybody to prove otherwise:p

Gatsby 01-30-17 11:51 PM

I spend a lot of money on food and a little bit on movies, but other than those two instances I'm an Asian version of Scrooge.

The Gunslinger45 01-30-17 11:55 PM

I am saving money for retirement, but I must prioritizes the essentials. Food, rent, high powered firearms, and plenty of ammunition. :D

Captain Steel 01-31-17 12:41 AM

Some cold cuts at my supermarket come in plastic bags that are basically zip-lock sandwich bags. I don't reuse ones that had meat in them - but I don't buy much meat, I do like to get cheese. So I wash the bags and dry them. I haven't bought a box of sandwich bags in years!

Captain Steel 01-31-17 01:04 AM

I'm going to give away one of my major secrets.

Have you ever bought window cleaner? Expensive, right? Yet, what you're paying for is dirt cheap. I once worked in a picture frame shop and we'd make our own glass cleaner. It's one part Rubbing Alcohol to three parts water - then add just one or two Drops of Dish Washing Liquid.

You can also use White Vinegar in place of the Alcohol, or go half & half with each. You can use the green, mint scented Alcohol to give your cleaner a greenish hue and minty scent. And if you really want to go crazy and have it look like Windex, you could add blue food coloring.

Nausicaä 01-31-17 05:59 PM

Speaking of vinegar, I use white vinegar as weed killer in the garden, works too! Can use it as weed killer at the front of my house too and not worry about dogs sniffing about. :)

All you need is a plastic spray bottle and a cheap bottle/jar of white vinegar that comes to about £1ish for the lot and off you go.

The Rodent 01-31-17 06:11 PM

I can be frugal with some foods but that's through life experience.

I worked security at a factory that makes baked beans.

Asda "own brand", Tesco "own brand", Lidl "own brand", Morrison's "own brand", Aldi "own brand", Sainsbury's "own brand" and Waitrose "own brand" baked beans... and the top brands, HP, Heinz, Branstons...

ALL COME FROM THE SAME HUGE VAT OF BEANS!!!!

All they do in the factory is change the roll of labels in the tin-labelling machine and tell the machinery to change the amount of sauce it adds to the tins compared to the amount of beans it adds :D

Yet, it you shop in different places, a tin of baked beans ranges from 12 pence, all the way up to £3 per tin.
Absolutely true.

The Rodent 01-31-17 06:14 PM

The only thing I do spend a lot of cash on when it comes to food is coffee.
I'm like Jimmie in Pulp Fiction :D

Chypmunk 01-31-17 06:24 PM

I always bite my biscuits in half so I get twice as many for the same price :)

Captain Steel 01-31-17 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Nausicaä (Post 1635310)
Speaking of vinegar, I use white vinegar as weed killer in the garden, works too! Can use it as weed killer at the front of my house too and not worry about dogs sniffing about. :)

All you need is a plastic spray bottle and a cheap bottle/jar of white vinegar that comes to about £1ish for the lot and off you go.
I started doing this last summer. You can find recipes for the homemade weed killer on YouTube. They advise adding Dish Liquid and Salt to the White Vinegar (the dish liquid is supposed to help the solution stick to weeds and the salt helps to kill them).

It doesn't work as well as Roundup - but I stopped using that since it's highly toxic and they found it causes cancers. You have to use a lot more of the homemade kind, but that's okay since it's cheap to make.

Yoda 01-31-17 06:45 PM

Yeah, definitely.

Two years ago I'd have said I was extremely frugal, because back then my wife and I spent significantly less than we do even now, and would go long stretches (like Lent) buying basically nothing outside of relatively necessary things. But losing weight has led to new clothes, and playing softball has entailed buying some equipment. We've also flown to Seattle the last couple of years for PAX and gotten a dog. But we both make a bit more than we did back then, which is probably part of the reason we've felt comfortable loosening the metaphorical belt a bit.

We still live below our means, though, and we're paying down our mortgage quickly. And I think with the clothes and softball stuff relatively stabilized, we'll probably spend significantly less this year than the last couple.

matt72582 01-31-17 08:39 PM

I am the most frugal.

When it comes to things I have to purchase, things I can't get around with (airline tickets, concerts).. However, I have never paid money more than a total of $20 for clothes as an adult. I wear things that are very old, and in the past, if I needed something nice, I'd go to Goodwill... A few cheap $5 concert t-shirts... I also prefer a bargain - why pay more if I can get something cheaper?

cricket 01-31-17 08:45 PM

I shop around and use coupons, but I don't hesitate to buy what I want. The good thing is that I don't want much.

Citizen Rules 01-31-17 11:45 PM

Matt might be frugal, but the rest of you guys:suspicious:....

Let's see I:
don't have any TV service
don't own a smart phone
don't buy movies
don't eat in restaurants
don't smoke
don't drink expensive wine or liquor (no wine or hard liquor actually), don't buy meat
don't go to Starbucks anymore
don't go to the theater
don't have movie services (except an $8 a month Netflix)
only have one car that's paid for
make my own food
never spend money on tech items

Why, cause I don't have any money to blow:p

rauldc14 01-31-17 11:50 PM

The amount of bills I have makes it impossible to be frugal since we pay them more than they are worth :(

Captain Steel 02-01-17 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1635462)

Let's see I:
don't own a smart phone
don't buy movies
don't eat in restaurants
don't smoke
don't drink expensive wine or liquor (no wine or hard liquor actually), don't buy meat
don't go to the theater
make my own food

Rules, your frugality also sounds like a health plan (don't smoke, drink, eat a lot of meat, don't eat out but make your own food). I mentioned that last part because a lot of people get sick from eating out - it's probably safer to make your own meals and eat at home.

Citizen Rules 02-01-17 12:08 AM

I was never really big on eating in restaurants, but now it's ridiculously expensive! and not all that good of food either. Hell I can cook better than some of the meals I have.

What's weird is our grocery bill for me and my wife seems expensive, but there's only the two of us. I cook all the meals, so no expensive frozen dinners, just the basics but it sure adds up.

Movie Max 02-01-17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1635351)
However, I have never paid money more than a total of $20 for clothes as an adult. I wear things that are very old, and in the past, if I needed something nice, I'd go to Goodwill... A few cheap $5 concert t-shirts... I also prefer a bargain - why pay more if I can get something cheaper?
In the popular grunge years, it was just cool to do that.:cool:

Captain Steel 02-01-17 12:46 AM

When I'm done with a tube of toothpaste I cut it down the side with a blade - there's always a couple more brushings' worth inside.
Same with muscle rub or anything else in a tube. Even if you think you've used it up, when you cut it open there's always at least one more application's worth inside.

doubledenim 02-01-17 12:45 PM

Doesn't everyone reuse Ziploc bags? I would bring mine home from school lunch. The question is, do you lay down a piece of tape so you can write and remove?

I don't think that eliminating meals or the theater is exactly being frugal. There is a lot of worth in a "special event" . My take on frugal would be how often you do it. I don't know what the line is between frugal and austerity.

Making sure to utilize Flexible Spending Accounts is a good one. You will have out of pocket health costs during the year and depending on how much you put back, you could save a lot.

In addition, if you leave or terminate you still have full use of that money (within a small window of time) without having to pay it back. ;)

Changing your own oil. For the price or less of a dealer or service shop to do it, you can buy a higher quality filter and oil (Royal Purple :D). Anyone. Anyone can change oil.

Pay the premium one time, instead of constantly buying cheaper versions. My example would be a pair of Doc Martens that I have had since high school. I've bought countless pairs of boots that have fallen apart, but the DMs will be here after we all die.

Captain Steel 02-01-17 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1635700)
Doesn't everyone reuse Ziploc bags? I would bring mine home from school lunch. The question is, do you lay down a piece of tape so you can write and remove?

I don't think that eliminating meals or the theater is exactly being frugal. There is a lot of worth in a "special event" . My take on frugal would be how often you do it. I don't know what the line is between frugal and austerity.

Making sure to utilize Flexible Spending Accounts is a good one. You will have out of pocket health costs during the year and depending on how much you put back, you could save a lot.

In addition, if you leave or terminate you still have full use of that money (within a small window of time) without having to pay it back. ;)

Changing your own oil. For the price or less of a dealer or service shop to do it, you can buy a higher quality filter and oil (Royal Purple :D). Anyone. Anyone can change oil.

Pay the premium one time, instead of constantly buying cheaper versions. My example would be a pair of Doc Martens that I have had since high school. I've bought countless pairs of boots that have fallen apart, but the DMs will be here after we all die.
I know a lot of people who don't recycle zip-lock or sandwich bags - they just keep buying boxes of new ones and feel it's "dirty" or "unsanitary" to reuse them even if they are washed first.

I have some reasons I don't change my own oil (which is a good idea), but I'll save them for later.

matt72582 02-01-17 01:48 PM

When I go shopping, I re-use those small plastic bags to put over my little garbage bin.... I hardly ever buy mouthwash, but my mom's store was closing, and even when I was running low, I just added water.

The one thing I won't do is drive all over the place to save a few bucks. I try to do everything in one drive, with everything on the way. It saves gas and time - something you can't buy..

Someone mentioned oil changes... I know a mechanic who said you don't need to change it every few thousand miles. He told me if I had no money, to check and make sure it's not low (so the engine doesn't burn) and put a few quarts of oil.

doubledenim 02-01-17 02:34 PM

The oil change is one that has always been subject to a lot of debate. Many agree that 3k miles is too soon. With synthetics (Royal Purple :)) you can go anywhere from 7k-10k miles. What most don't talk about is the oil filter, which would be a train wreck if you changed it without changing the oil at the same time.

My belief is that the one thing you can do more than anything else to maintain a car is to change the oil. I float in around 7k nowadays running synthetic. To most, a car is the biggest or 2nd biggest investment they have. I think to err on the side of caution is the best course.

If anyone buys bulk toilet or paper towels, the packaging they come in makes great liners for smaller trash cans.

matt72582 02-01-17 06:06 PM

That's another thing I'm cheap with - my car. I always spend under $900, and I won't spend money to fix it. For example, I once paid $350 for a car, drove it for 10 months, and when it needed a new cradle, I thought it wasn't worth it, so I sold it as scrap for $200, so it was like I drove a car for $150, for almost a year.

I took my car to a franchise shop, and instead of taking my money, they quoted the work to be about $4,000, and then told me it wasn't even worth to fix. So I'm going to drive it until it dies, sell it for scrap, but this time, I don't plan on buying a car - I hate driving!

Roy C. 02-01-17 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1635462)

Let's see I:
don't own a smart phone
don't buy movies
don't eat in restaurants
don't smoke
don't go to the theater
make my own food

Wow...I do all the same things, except that I do buy movies and shows on DVD, and meat. Why would meat be considered on that list? And I might be the only man in America with a flip-phone bought from the supermarket.

Citizen Rules 02-01-17 06:31 PM

Meat is expensive to buy! that's why.

matt72582 02-01-17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by Roy C. (Post 1635821)
Wow...I do all the same things, except that I do buy movies and shows on DVD, and meat. Why would meat be considered on that list? And I might be the only man in America with a flip-phone bought from the supermarket.
I have a flip-phone bought for $20 at a grocery store. Last time it broke, I bought the same one.

Roy C. 02-01-17 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1635826)
Meat is expensive to buy! that's why.
Ahhh....but it's worth it! How do you eat burgers, chicken, etc.? I couldn't live without chicken. I eat it in numerous forms.

Roy C. 02-01-17 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1635834)
I have a flip-phone bought for $20 at a grocery store. Last time it broke, I bought the same one.
Beats being brainwashed by a handheld device that turns people into habitual slaves. ;)

Citizen Rules 02-01-17 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Roy C. (Post 1635843)
Ahhh....but it's worth it! How do you eat burgers, chicken, etc.? I couldn't live without chicken. I eat it in numerous forms.
I don't eat burgers, red meat, seafood, fish or pork. Sometimes I get teriyaki chicken from a take out or buy it in small amounts to use in cooking. I do use bacon bits in soups, rice dishes and as a pizza topping. At a regular grocery store even a small about of bacon bits is expensive, so I get the super size bag at Costco for just about the same price, it last forever...well almost.

Roy C. 02-01-17 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 1635852)
I don't eat burgers, red meat, seafood, fish or pork. Sometimes I get teriyaki chicken from a take out or buy it in small amounts to use in cooking. I do use bacon bits in soups, rice dishes and as a pizza topping. At a regular grocery store even a small about of bacon bits is expensive, so I get the super size bag at Costco for just about the same price, it last forever...well almost.
I get the pre-cooked bacon strips at Costco. I get a lot of things there. Bigger size, smaller price. I was about to think you were a vegetarian because you don't eat seafood, red meat, or pork. But since you eat chicken and bacon (though bacon is pork), then you couldn't be vegetarian. I don't eat straight pork, like chops. Bacon I eat like twice a month. And chicken many times a week. I don't eat fish because I hate it, even tuna. Other times I eat hot dogs, burgers, steaks, hamburger helper, etc. Some things I can't live without.

Roy C. 02-01-17 09:13 PM

I do buy tons of DVDs...I have a library card but I haven't been to a library in almost 30 years.

Citizen Rules 02-01-17 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by Roy C. (Post 1635854)
..(though bacon is pork)...
You pass the test! I wondered if anyone would catch that I said, I don't eat pork but I do eat bacon bits:p

Movie Max 02-02-17 01:59 PM

I don't expect a frugal guy to buy real and expensive bacon bits. I have a feeling the cheap bulk ones contain no pork. Here is the Great Value Walmart brand bacon bits ingredients list...

Great Value Bacon Flavored Bits:
  • Gluten free
  • Reclosable
Ingredients:

Ingredients: Soy Flour, Soybean Oil With Tbhq Added to Protect Freshness, Salt, Less Than 2 Percent of Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Yeast Extract, Natural Smoke Flavor, Sunflower Oil, Sugar, Potassium Chloride, Dextrose, Inactive Dried Yeast, Caramel Color, FD&C Red 3, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein (Hydrolyzed Soy and Corn Protein, Salt), Soy Lecithin, Natural Flavor. Contains Soy.

doubledenim 02-02-17 02:43 PM

You beat me to it. The major national brand are soy.

Citizen Rules 02-02-17 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 1636060)
You beat me to it. The major national brand are soy.
It's real, I just checked the package

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....CL._SY450_.jpg

Chypmunk 02-02-17 03:28 PM

Phew - glad it's real after all and therefore you can put it bacon the menu :)

I'll get me hat, coat, scarf and gloves!

Captain Steel 02-02-17 03:29 PM

As promised - reasons I don't change my own oil:
My driveway is rocks, so I'd have to put down a blanket to lay on it.
I can't fit under my car (this is pretty much the primary reason!)
It's difficult to find a place that will take and properly dispose of the old oil.
The lube places are quick and easy and do more than just change the oil (they replace the filters, check the fluids, put air in the tires, etc.) So, for me, although I hate the cost, it's worth it to take my vehicle to the lube place and pay $30 - $40 three times a year.

Movie Max 02-02-17 07:38 PM

Do you guys have this flavour?

http://i5.walmartimages.ca/images/La...0410027141.jpg

Movie Max 02-02-17 08:08 PM

I've given Citizen's list some thought and I've come to the conclusion, that I'm not that frugal.

I have free OTA TV and Roku.
I don't own a smart phone, but, there is an ipad.
I do occasionally buy DVD movies for $5 or less.
I don't eat in restaurants much, but, take-out and delivery do happen.
I don't smoke.
I drink local whiskey and imported beer.
I buy some meat, in moderation.
I don't go to Starbucks, but, we have Starbucks coffee at home.
I go to the theater at least 4-5 times a year.
I have Netflix.
The American brand car is paid for.
I do make my own food.
I sometimes spend money on tech items.

doubledenim 02-03-17 12:40 PM

Rules is sellin' wolf tickets. Those aren't bits, that's bacon. :D

matt72582 02-03-17 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1636085)
As promised - reasons I don't change my own oil:
My driveway is rocks, so I'd have to put down a blanket to lay on it.
I can't fit under my car (this is pretty much the primary reason!)
It's difficult to find a place that will take and properly dispose of the old oil.
The lube places are quick and easy and do more than just change the oil (they replace the filters, check the fluids, put air in the tires, etc.) So, for me, although I hate the cost, it's worth it to take my vehicle to the lube place and pay $30 - $40 three times a year.
Back in the day, early 2000s when I started driving, oil changes were $12.95, and they would occasionally send a $5 off coupon. After I would use the coupon, I'd ask about the price, and then say "I think I have a coupon at home, I'll go and get it" - knowing they'd say "Ah, don't worry about it" and I'd never pay for more than $5..

Captain Steel 02-03-17 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1636524)
Back in the day, early 2000s when I started driving, oil changes were $12.95, and they would occasionally send a $5 off coupon. After I would use the coupon, I'd ask about the price, and then say "I think I have a coupon at home, I'll go and get it" - knowing they'd say "Ah, don't worry about it" and I'd never pay for more than $5..
The oil place I go would give you a coupon for a free car wash - which was right next door. So it was usually automatic that as soon as I got the oil change, I'd get the car washed (pretty much the only time my car would get washed except for occasionally giving it a quick spray with the hose in the summer). But they stopped giving out the free car wash too. :(

Citizen Rules 02-03-17 09:54 PM

I change my oil once a year. I use to do it myself. I've done brakes and tune ups myself. But these days with a coupon you can get your oil changed as cheap as if you went and bought it yourself.

Captain Steel 02-17-17 03:13 AM

Since Home Remedies can also be a huge part of frugality (saving you money on healthcare and medicines), what are some of yours? (Plus, they're really interesting!)

Citizen Rules 02-17-17 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1649039)
Since Home Remedies can also be a huge part of frugality (saving you money on healthcare and medicines), what are some of yours? (Plus, they're really interesting!)
None, that I can think of. But...I do make my own espresso drink each morning vs going to Starbucks, which saves me $1200.00 a year, not to shabby:p

gbgoodies 02-17-17 09:52 PM

This isn't a home remedy either, but building on what Citizen Rules said, Hubby and I don't buy drinks when we go out to dinner, (anywhere from fast food like McDs, Burger King, etc. to upscale restaurants). We just order water, (not bottled water), and we bring flavor packets, (available at any supermarket, Walmart, Target, etc., and even some dollar stores), and make our own drinks.

We also keep a cooler in the car, and we bring our own drinks when we go out shopping so we don't have to buy drinks. We also bring our own snacks if we're going to be out most of the day. You would be surprised at how much money that saves us throughout the year. :)

Dani8 02-17-17 10:47 PM

Interesting thread.

One that springs to mind immediately on this board is movies. Where we are movies are a lot more exy than USA. couple that with parking it's a very $ adventure. I always say no to drinks, popcorn etc.It's cheaper to go to a restaurant than buy snacks if mr Dani is hungry. There's a sushi train right near the cinema. I tell him to go there rather than the daylight robbery at the cinema. I mean really, eat real food.

Dani8 02-18-17 11:39 AM

Make your own stock. Tastes much better than the package crap and if you make friends with your butcher you'll get bones, chook carcasses for next to nothing. Dead easy, and really nice to make on a lazy weekend for you northerners having a bitch of a winter.

Dani8 02-18-17 11:55 AM

OK one more while I'm on a tight ass roll. Make your own morning tea and lunch to take to work. When Mr Dani worked for the last company I would send him off with a lunch box with a thermos of coffee, morning snack and lunch (yes I'm a good lil ole stepford wife). Now we have our own business he buys it because he thinks he looks like a dork taking a lunch box when working with clients. I do the books. Not counting treating clients to morning tea or lunch I hate to think what coffee, muffin and a sandwich tallies up to yearly. Not a biggy because we claim expenses, but it really adds up for those of you wanting to cut down on burning a hole in your pocket.

Citizen Rules 02-18-17 02:06 PM

Hey that's a frugal way of posting...a Totem Poll.:)

Do you know that term? on my old board people would talk about totem poll posting, that and 'sniping' a lot. Ahh, the good old days.

Dani8 02-18-17 02:09 PM

LMAO. I looked up urban dickshonary and choked on tea at some of the explanations. Is that when I respond to myself rather than edit? I;m just lazy. Easier to just hit reply.

Sarge 02-18-17 02:10 PM

Me and Mrs Sarge are total opposites when it comes to money.

She is very frugal and like to save and I am...

https://media.giphy.com/media/l41lFv...QTAY/giphy.gif

Citizen Rules 02-18-17 02:14 PM

I remember one poster would commonly do 5 in a row, that was a super totem poll:p

It's funny how every board has it's on board-speak, and then if a person goes to another board they never heard the phrase. Sniping on my old board was very big. It was active enough that big threads would go into 1000 range post and people would call out 100 snipe, 200 snipe, etc...when ever they got to that point in the tread. Sometimes there would be stiff competition to make a big snipe like when the thread got to 999.

;)None of this is really frugal I know! So let's see, umm...I know:
Making your own pizza from scratch not only saves money but taste great:p

Dani8 02-18-17 02:19 PM

Home made pizza YAY.

Back to sniping, I call sniper attack or slam dunk when someone gets pawned.

Back to home made pizza with anchovies.

Captain Steel 02-18-17 02:20 PM

On the subject of Home Remedies - I can't say enough about the preventative measures of Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and raw Garlic.

ACV (the kind with "the mother") is not cheap, but it's health benefits both internally & externally could equal a lot of long term savings. You're going to have to look up all the stuff it can do because it's too much to list here (but there are entire YouTube videos devoted to the stuff).

I love garlic - and it's cheap. Since I've been eating both raw and pickled garlic, I never seem to get sick (and if I feel something coming on I eat more of it and the feeling only lasts a day or two at most). It is a natural antibiotic and has different health properties whether pickled, cooked or raw. (Warning, if you go the raw route, best to chop it up and eat it with some honey, because it's "hot!")

I'm making a list of common "superfoods" (due to their super health properties) that can be incorporated into a diet in various ways and purchased at any supermarket:

Garlic
Lemon
Ginger root
Cinnamon
Honey
Apple Cider Vinegar

When I make juice (I don't use an expensive juice machine, just an old blender) I include a little of each of these along with the main ingredients: Water, Apples, Pears, Grapes, Bananas, Oranges, Carrots, and any other fruit I have on hand.

Dani8 02-18-17 02:25 PM

Huge Huge fan of garlic and apple cider vinegar, and lemon and lime. Becareful drinking ACV and citrus though. I checked with my dentist about this. It can erode enamel very easily.

Bicarb - miracle worker.

http://www.thankyourbody.com/uses-for-baking-soda/

Turmeric. I use it a lot. I don't believe the hype it prevents cancer, obviously, but it's a nifty little spice.
Olive oil extract. This has been sworn by a couple of people in my burb to help prevent man flu.

for juicing, I splashed out on a cold presser after years of burning out the old style. The cold pressed juice is so much better, and lasts longer. Doesnt get the nasty browny green froth.

Dani8 02-18-17 02:27 PM

And ginger for an upset stomach, car sickness, or added to your morning juice for some zing. Gives a bigger hit than coffee.

Captain Steel 02-18-17 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1649936)
Huge Huge fan of garlic and apple cider vinegar, and lemon and lime. Becareful drinking ACV and citrus though. I checked with my dentist about this. It can erode enamel very easily.

Bicarb - miracle worker.

http://www.thankyourbody.com/uses-for-baking-soda/

Turmeric. I use it a lot. I don't believe the hype it prevents cancer, obviously, but it's a nifty little spice.
Olive oil extract. This has been sworn by a couple of people in my burb to help prevent man flu.

for juicing, I splashed out on a cold presser after years of burning out the old style. The cold pressed juice is so much better, and lasts longer. Doesnt get the nasty browny green froth.
True about ACV and teeth. Always rinse after using it. I've heard of people using it as a mouthwash to make their teeth shiny, it does work, but of course you have to rinse thoroughly afterward to avoid the caustic effect it has on teeth.

It's powerful stuff, but it goes a long way since it is used sparingly, so even though it's a bit pricey, a bottle should last a long time.

Also, for those not already in the know - don't drink ACV straight, if taken as a tonic it must be diluted in water or other drink. Same when using it as a skin treatment, dilute it at least by half with water.

Dani8 02-18-17 02:39 PM

Yeah dont brush within two hours of drinking ACV or citrus, and if using bicarb as a tooth polish, not every day.

Oh so nice I've found a fellow hippy, Cap.

for anyone who has a lemon tree and gets a glut - juice and freeze. If blonde or wanting to go lighter, use as a rinse after a shampoo.

Captain Steel 02-18-17 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1649938)
And ginger for an upset stomach, car sickness, or added to your morning juice for some zing. Gives a bigger hit than coffee.
This is true too! Personally, I don't like the taste of ginger (so I only use it sparingly as an additive), but there was even an episode of Mythbusters where they were examining the best cures for nausea and sea-sickness. Ginger beat out all the medications they tried (and sailors can get it in pill form). I make ginger root tea for my mom since she suffers from stomach problems.

I'll need to try some for the "hit" effect as my usual state is one of chronic fatigue. (I know I sound like a health nut, but I haven't revealed all my bad, gluttonous habits that counteract my health efforts). ;)

Dani8 02-18-17 02:46 PM

Ooh Ooh I'm allergic to pineapple so cant have this often but one of my nieces who was then working in a hipster green grocers recommended juiced pineapple, lime and ginger. Big hit. Massive infact. Bit of turmeric or paprika sprinkled on top.

for your mum, have you tried umeboshi plums? Japanese pickled plums. many moons ago I had morning sickness and the health food shop guy who was a friend recommended them (his wife is japanese). If your mum can't stomach the taste (I freaking love them) all she has to do is place one on her navel. I kid you not.

Dani8 02-18-17 05:11 PM

OK one more frugal totem pole stream of consciousness before I go and finish 205 of The Path. Not loving this show but not hate watching.

Years ago I lived in a country town. Good friends of mine lived on a property with tank water only. Being a city girl this was a bit distasteful but now back in the city and living on one of the driest continents we pay for water usage, so this makes sense. My husband doesn't approve because he's a precious snowflake, but we have his and her bathrooms so I tell him not to use mine. The saying is

'If it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down'.

Or they would pee in a bucket and pour it under citrus trees. Saves on buying fertiliser. Not advised for people on meds, though. My dad came to visit when I first bought the place and asked where the toilet was. I told him to go pee under the lemon tree. He was on chemo at the time and said the poor tree would explode like chernobyl.

Citizen Rules 02-18-17 05:12 PM

Two in a row...not a totem poll;)...you need at least 3 in a row.

Dani8 02-20-17 02:10 PM

I thought of another frugal tip but it's goneski.

Captain Steel 02-20-17 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1650064)
OK one more frugal totem pole stream of consciousness before I go and finish 205 of The Path. Not loving this show but not hate watching.

Years ago I lived in a country town. Good friends of mine lived on a property with tank water only. Being a city girl this was a bit distasteful but now back in the city and living on one of the driest continents we pay for water usage, so this makes sense. My husband doesn't approve because he's a precious snowflake, but we have his and her bathrooms so I tell him not to use mine. The saying is

'If it's yellow let it mellow; if it's brown flush it down'.

Or they would pee in a bucket and pour it under citrus trees. Saves on buying fertiliser. Not advised for people on meds, though. My dad came to visit when I first bought the place and asked where the toilet was. I told him to go pee under the lemon tree. He was on chemo at the time and said the poor tree would explode like chernobyl.
I only have one sink in my kitchen and no dishwasher - so, after making pasta, I keep the big pot that I use to boil water in the sink and use it as a dish bucket. I wash the dishes in it (which helps clean the pot as well). When it's full of soapy dishwater I then use it to flush the toilet.

Now, don't get me wrong, this doesn't mean I don't flush the toilet with its built-in flusher when necessary, it's just a way to utilize the dishwater, cut down on some flushes, and not waste as much water.

Dani8 02-20-17 02:30 PM

You are a kitchen goddess, Cap.

I read one tip about reusing teabags - put them in your sink with greasy cutlery and plates etc and add boiling water. Let soak and it degreases. I tried it but I think my teabags must be a bit weak after I wring out all the tea into my cup. I stick in the fridge for an eye mask later.

Captain Steel 02-20-17 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1651636)
You are a kitchen goddess, Cap.

I read one tip about reusing teabags - put them in your sink with greasy cutlery and plates etc and add boiling water. Let soak and it degreases. I tried it but I think my teabags must be a bit weak after I wring out all the tea into my cup. I stick in the fridge for an eye mask later.
And then you can put your teabags in the compost. You DO compost, don't you?

Dani8 02-20-17 03:20 PM

I used to compost but years ago three of my dogs got into it and ate mould. I didn't realise this could happen but they ended up in intensive care at 11pm and days later only just pulled through. Scary time.

Captain Steel 02-20-17 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dani8 (Post 1651674)
I used to compost but years ago three of my dogs got into it and ate mould. I didn't realise this could happen but they ended up in intensive care at 11pm and days later only just pulled through. Scary time.
Good excuse. (But you can get a man-made one that is sealable. My brother has a giant above-ground compost spinner!)

This reminded me of a cool thing I saw once on TV - off-the-grid / self-sustainable homes. And one cool thing was that the pipes were arranged so that all the drains from the sinks and showers went into the toilet. So the water in the toilet was called "gray water" (meaning it's not potable and has been used once). So there was no excess clean water wasted with flushing (which is one of the biggest wastes of water in most homes).

Dani8 02-20-17 03:29 PM

it was actually a worm farm and the lid was covered in bricks to stop possums ransacking it. I have no idea how three small dogs managed to remove the bricks.

OK frugal tip - coffee grounds. Sprinkle around plants to prevent snail invasion.

Sir Toose 02-20-17 08:06 PM

Unfortunately, I am not. Can't seem to learn life's most important lessons. If I have it, I spend it... Or give it to my kids. Someday I shall learn to be prudent.

edarsenal 02-21-17 12:25 AM

I'm not frugal - I'm just broke! :D

Bht88 01-29-18 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1649039)
for headaches : I man it out
for colds : see above
for physical pain : see headaches
for sunburn / thermal vision protection : globs of fresh mud
for open wounds : heat sword for 15 mins apply on wound
for a temperature : jump into a frozen lake
for keeping warm in cold weather ::love:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dvolqo.png

Captain Steel 01-29-18 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bht88 (Post 1859553)
for headaches : I man it out
for colds : see above
for physical pain : see headaches
for sunburn / thermal vision protection : globs of fresh mud
for open wounds : heat sword for 15 mins apply on wound
for a temperature : jump into a frozen lake
for keeping warm in cold weather ::love:

http://i63.tinypic.com/2dvolqo.png
for headaches : Vicks Vapo-rub or Ben Gay applied to the temples, neck & base of skull (be careful to avoid eye area), brush teeth, then drink a glass of water, lay down and apply a warm wash rag over the eyes for 20 minutes while practicing meditation and deep breathing in a dark, quiet room. Eat a handful of raw almonds if able.

for colds : take half a large clove of raw garlic (finely chopped with a teaspoon of honey) once or twice daily, also take hot tea with lemon & honey or hot water with lemon and honey. Apply Vicks Vapo-Rub to chest and neck and cover nightly. Take ample amounts of rest and increase fluid intake and citrus fruits & juices for duration. And of course; hot chicken soup.

for physical pain : see headaches + engage in daily stretching & relaxation meditation. For immediate injuries apply ice intermittently for first few hours, later apply heat.

for sunburn / thermal vision protection : Apply Noxzema, or raw aloe (direct from plant), or an Apple Cider Vinegar (raw with "the mother") solution diluted with water to burned areas, get increased rest, increase water intake. Bathe at least every other day, preferably in luke warm or cool water (an oatmeal bath can soothe skin). Stay in cool darkened interior during healing. Avoid further exposure to direct sunlight, heat or hot showers. Preventative: avoid prolonged exposure to direct sunlight, wear sunscreen, protective clothing & UV-protective sunglasses.

for open wounds : Thoroughly flush & clean wound. Apply raw honey and bandage tightly for minor wounds that don't require stitches, or do same with OTC antiseptic / anesthetic. Always keep wounds bandaged. Ice lightly over bandage for pain (but don't allow bandages to get wet). Use a diet that promotes healing.

for a temperature : Take bed rest and increase fluid intake (including hot lemon water), used layered covering for bedrest to "sweat it out." Take an NSAID if home remedies don't work. If temp continues to increase over multiple days or goes over 102 degrees fahrenheit, seek immediate medical attention.

for keeping warm in cold weather : loose layered clothing, keep head covered, use thermal underwear, heavy socks, mittens, make sure no skin areas are exposed, exercise, drink hot liquids.

ynwtf 01-29-18 10:05 AM

Not at all. But I used to watch the Frugal Gourmet as a kid on public broadcasting.

:D

https://youtu.be/EfigPIvycCc

lenslady 01-29-18 11:59 AM

Hey Dani8, I thought I was the only person in the world who is allergic to pineapple. I don 't like it much so it doesn't matter.

And I realize now that I'm not frugal, I thought I was, but don't do any of these thrifty things. I try to watch my spending, but sometimes I do seem to have more week left over at the end of my money.

Dani8 01-29-18 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by lenslady (Post 1859617)
Hey Dani8, I thought I was the only person in the world who is allergic to pineapple. I don 't like it much so it doesn't matter.
I do, lady. Not a serious allergy but enough to back me off it. It's a real shame because one of my nieces put me onto p[ineapple lime and ginger juice for a bit of breakfast ZING. Oh wow, really gives you some lift off but whenever I get the craving I have to be a bit sensible. Canned pineapple doesnt give me a reaction but I just dont really like it so avoid anyway.

matt72582 01-29-18 05:48 PM

I don't know anyone on here personally, but I would guess I'm the most frugal... For example, I've never spent money on clothing as an adult, with the exception of three cheap concert T-shirts.. I have spent a lot of money but usually for things that can't be duplicated - a concert, standup show, airplane ticket, etc.

Captain Steel 01-29-18 08:58 PM

My father used to say:

"If you do nothing, a common cold can last up to about 14 days! But if you go see a doctor, you can get rid of it in just 2 weeks!"

matt72582 01-29-18 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 1859913)
My father used to say:

"If you do nothing, a common cold can last up to about 14 days! But if you go see a doctor, you can get rid of it in just 2 weeks!"
Haha exactly... I never go to the doctor, I just deal with it myself.. The last thing I'd ever do is leave my house when I'm sick, but they wanna make money.. If people were all healthy, they couldn't make their millions holding Americans hostage before a major surgery.

Captain Steel 01-29-18 09:21 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 1859802)
I don't know anyone on here personally, but I would guess I'm the most frugal... For example, I've never spent money on clothing as an adult, with the exception of three cheap concert T-shirts.. I have spent a lot of money but usually for things that can't be duplicated - a concert, standup show, airplane ticket, etc.
I'm very similar. I'd say 80% of my clothing is second hand (not including socks or underwear). Except pants - that's only because I have to buy a particular size with the right waist to length combo (with shirts, there's only about 4 general sizes). For my shirts, about 95% are pre-owned, hand-me-downs, freebies (obtained from jobs) or gifts.

As a kid almost all my clothes were hand-me-downs from my 2 older brothers or cousins (sometimes, at the end of summer, my mom would take me to get some new outfits for school.)

I have a story about the last suit I bought, but will save it for another time.

Captain Steel 04-26-18 11:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArckTW3t9yE

Captain Steel 06-04-18 05:39 PM

Everything's too expensive! I need more frugality tips!

hell_storm2004 06-04-18 06:06 PM

I would call myself a little bit frugal. I only live by one rule, "Its better to have something and not need it rather than need something and not have it".

Clothes being my special weakness!

So i spend a lot of needless stuff, one time use stuff. It all adds up. The only i have done in recent months, is going out two times a week instead of three. But to be honest, the bartender knows me well. She only charges me 12-15 bucks for 10-12 Jamesons. So it isn't really that expensive. Uber is the killer! :)

Dani8 06-05-18 01:00 AM

I was looking for this thread the other day and now I can't remember why. Oops.

gandalf26 06-05-18 04:53 AM

Yes, attempting to save 30% of my paycheck every week for the whole year to boost savings a bit.

Managed so far, get paid every 2 weeks and thankfully June is one of 2 months of the year with 3 paydays so will help me out.

nebbit 06-05-18 05:17 AM

I'm pretty good with money :yup: but my weakness is 👠👠👠👠👠

Mr Minio 06-05-18 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 1907620)
but my weakness is 👠👠👠👠👠
Wait, your weakness are two other females wearing red high heels and one one-legged female wearing a red high heel?

ash_is_the_gal 06-05-18 04:55 PM

no, i suck at being frugal. but i'm too scared of my bank account being negative, so i always shove money into a savings every month so that i wont be tempted to spend it.

cat_sidhe 06-05-18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1907625)
Originally Posted by nebbit (Post 1907620)
but my weakness is 👠👠👠👠👠
Wait, your weakness are two other females wearing red high heels and one one-legged female wearing a red high heel?
Most desperate stretch I've ever seen. CONGRATULATIONS!

ynwtf 06-05-18 05:13 PM

I thought it was a string of deflated wind socks. Or perhaps five cropped 8th notes.

=\

ynwtf 06-05-18 05:16 PM

Also, I don't think I'm frugal. But I did used to love watching the Frugal Gourmet on PBS. I have a feeling though that I may have already posted that here.

o.O

Dani8 06-10-18 01:17 AM

* BUMP

I remember what I forgot. A girlfriend dropped in last week for a cuppa and chitchat. I told her she always looks like a million bucks. She is a total clothes and shoes addict. Everything she buys come from the Salvos stores. She says $ has to be 20 bucks or not happening.

The first time I went to Indonesia my daily budget was $10 a day. It was doable until I got to lengthy overnighters, especially because it came with an overpriced meal voucher. I'm not a fan of anything but a coffee at 1am so that was always money wasted.

I might have posted this already. I met up with a friend in a country back in 1997.he was Travelling on one dollar US a day. He was tight beforehand so it wasn't difficult to stick to the habit. Lucky guy has seen more of the world than anyone I know and I don't think he's stepped a foot in South America yet. A wife and child... You get the drift.

Captain Steel 10-07-21 06:10 PM

Bumping this thread now that we are in another bout of nationwide, runaway inflation.

I'm always looking for new tips or creative ideas on how to save money!

Also welcome are any tips on conservation, reducing, recycling, reusing and repurposing!

Citizen Rules 10-07-21 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2243987)
Bumping this thread now that we are in another bout of nationwide, runaway inflation.

I'm always looking for new tips or creative ideas on how to save money!

Also welcome are any tips on conservation, reducing, recycling, reusing and repurposing!
Captain, my tip for you is the same as last time...or did you already do that?

Captain Steel 10-07-21 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2244004)
Captain, my tip for you is the same as last time...or did you already do that?
Which one, Rules? (Looking back you had more than a few.)

John McClane 10-07-21 07:03 PM

I’m semi-frugal.

Best thing to do is find the things you can’t live without and work backwards. For me, eating out is a big part of my budget because I like the social interactions.

And my guitar lessons are a new can’t live without item. At least for the foreseeable future.

EDIT: best advice tho is don’t get sick