Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   The Da Vinci Code (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=8907)

suppression 10-09-04 01:05 AM

The Da Vinci Code

The rumor is that Ron Howard will be turning this controversial novel into a film. I personally can't wait. I have full faith that Ron Howard will do a superb job with this.

At this point, I'm not sure this is anything more than at the rumor stage, but here's a link to check out for what little details are currently available.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0382625/

TheJoker 10-09-04 11:39 AM

Did you read the book? Did you like it?

suppression 10-09-04 09:11 PM

I'm a college student. I barely have enough time to read the text books for class. But, people with very similar literature tastes as myself read the book and had very strong reactions to it (some loved it, some hated it). I plan on buying it and one of those books that disprove it similtaneously and then reading it, but the movie will probably be out by the time I'm able to do that.

projectMayhem 10-10-04 12:06 PM

I thought the book was fascinating with all the little trivia bits he put in there, however I don't think that's going to translate well into a movie, b/c honestly the plot wasn't very good. Also if read other books by the same author you may realize that they all have the same exact formula. I've been able to target the bad guy in each of 'em so far earlier than half way into the book.

Henry The Kid 10-10-04 02:16 PM

It was a terrifically badly written book. Which makes me curious how well they can possible adapt it. Very well-researched, on the other hand. Perhaps a more competent writer than Dan Brown could have made it something great.

Anyway, the lameness of the ending will make it difficult for me to ever really care about seeing it put to film.

Miles 10-11-04 05:04 PM

i'd like to see it on film. i agree too, the ending sucked.

MovieMaker5087 10-11-04 05:11 PM

I heard about this like around April of 04.

TheJoker 10-11-04 05:26 PM

See I never finised the book, I started it though.

SamsoniteDelilah 11-15-04 04:12 PM

Per jrs' blog, Tom Hanks is attached to play the lead. I think that's a good choice.
I still say the new Nick Cage film is stealing the thunder of this one a good deal.

starrdarcy 11-15-04 04:18 PM

When i read a little inton it, i knew i woudn't like it. I hope this movie gets bad reviews...

2wrongs 11-15-04 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
I still say the new Nick Cage film is stealing the thunder of this one a good deal.
I hate the previews for that movie. The whole plot looks lame and that blonde girl...bleck! Who is she and why is she trying to act?

SamsoniteDelilah 11-15-04 05:00 PM

heh... I dunno who she is. She has a 'hired for her looks' aura, but you never know. Sometimes good looking people are good for other things. Look at Pidzilla. :) The plot looks really formulaic to me - one part Indiana Jones, 2 parts DaVinci Code and presto! But I like movies with gritty men in khaki, so I'll probably see it for that reason alone.

OG- 11-15-04 05:23 PM

I really think Tom Hanks is a bad pick for Robert Langdon. He's just too sweet. He's spent too long solidifying that image...him running around Paris getting shot at trying to solve thousand year old puzzles with the aid of a gorgeous Italian woman? Nah, just not gonna work. Victor Navorski took away any grit Tom Hanks ever had..

SamsoniteDelilah 11-15-04 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by OG-
I really think Tom Hanks is a bad pick for Robert Langdon. He's just too sweet. He's spent too long solidifying that image...him running around Paris getting shot at trying to solve thousand year old puzzles with the aid of a gorgeous Italian woman? Nah, just not gonna work. Victor Navorski took away any grit Tom Hanks ever had..
He was kind of edgy in Catch Me If You Can. Agreed, he's obviously a big sweetie, but I think he can pull it off.

James_Sparrow 11-15-04 06:01 PM

I've heard about this book but dont know what's all the hype about I don't even know what it's about or anything.. Can anyone give me a rough idea?

SamsoniteDelilah 11-15-04 06:07 PM

It's about a guy who is killed becuase he's part of a secret society, and he leaves clues around before he dies so his grandfather and this guy he knows of can solve the murder, and save some important information from being hidden by evil churchmen.

The reason it's so popular is two things:
1. the story is very well-built. I read the entire book in two sittings. I could not put it down. (I'm not saying it's wonderful prose, just to clarify...)
2. the background of the story raises some interesting philosophical questions about the nature of history as controlled by religious leaders. It's very thought-provoking.

OG- 11-15-04 06:11 PM

you mean granddaughter...

I personally found Angels and Demons, the prequel, to be a far better book.

Piledriver 11-15-04 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by OG-
you mean granddaughter...

I personally found Angels and Demons, the prequel, to be a far better book.
I agree fully. Angels & Demons is a much better book and would've made a great first movie in a undoubtly plan to start a new "franchise" trilogy ;)

SamsoniteDelilah 11-15-04 07:38 PM

Was she the granddaughter? ok.
I still haven't read Angels and Demons.
I should probably wait til I have a whole weekend with no plans. :p

Hell_Bent 11-15-04 08:03 PM

Tom Hanks has been offered the lead role in The Da Vinci Code movie