Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   I've never watched Avatar, ask me anything (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=70081)

ActionRocks 03-31-24 01:38 AM

I've never watched Avatar, ask me anything

Oh god...:rolleyes::rolleyes:Welp get asking folks..

Why the hell do i do this to myself
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...jpg_UX765_.jpg

cricket 03-31-24 08:25 AM

What's the dirtiest place you ever hid an Easter egg?

stillmellow 03-31-24 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by ActionRocks (Post 2450717)
Oh god...:rolleyes::rolleyes:Welp get asking folks

Blue cat aliens, element benders, or neither?

ActionRocks 03-31-24 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by stillmellow (Post 2450758)
Blue cat aliens, element benders, or neither?
Blue cat aliens, but depends HEAVILY on the shade of blue

SpelingError 03-31-24 10:02 AM

Re: I've never watched Avatar, ask me anything

Eh, you're not missing much.

stillmellow 03-31-24 06:18 PM

Do you think it's worth seeing more than one of Tony Jaa's movies? Or just Ong Bak?

crumbsroom 03-31-24 06:23 PM

I would never go so far as to say Avatar is a bad movie, only that it should be doused in gasoline and thrown into a pit of fire.

Yoda 03-31-24 06:43 PM

My only question is: how did you get so wise?

ActionRocks 03-31-24 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by stillmellow (Post 2450897)
Do you think it's worth seeing more than one of Tony Jaa's movies? Or just Ong Bak?
To be honest. Nope.

ActionRocks 03-31-24 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2450904)
My only question is: how did you get so wise?
I went to school

ActionRocks 03-31-24 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2450755)
What's the dirtiest place you ever hid an Easter egg?
I've never actually hid one before but the dirtiest place I've FOUND one is underneath a pile of dirt inside my aunt's backyard

crumbsroom 03-31-24 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by ActionRocks (Post 2450915)
I've never actually hid one before but the dirtiest place I've FOUND one is underneath a pile of dirt inside my aunt's backyard

My hope was this sentence would end with the word 'underwear'.

Captain Steel 03-31-24 07:56 PM

Avatar is simply Disney's version of Pocahontas (which itself is entirely historically inaccurate) set on another planet.

Gwildor 03-31-24 08:06 PM

After watching both movies still can't figure it out if through Tsaheylu the Na'vi could penetrate entirely a mountain banshee's mind or if it was merely a surface bonding during the flight/riding.

Raven73 03-31-24 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Steel (Post 2450927)
Avatar is simply Disney's version of Pocahontas (which itself is entirely historically inaccurate) set on another planet.
Is it though? Over the course of Avatar, Jake gradually becomes more na'vi and completely immerses himself in their culture and biology. He is literally reborn. In Pocahontas (1995 - I haven't seen it, but I browsed the plot in Wikipedia), John Smith returns to England in the end, leaving Pocahontas behind.

Having grown up with Star Wars, I'm a big fan of epic sci-fi movies like this. I'm looking forward to the third installment.

stillmellow 03-31-24 09:24 PM

To paraphrase Billy Joel:

Everybody's talkin' bout the new sound funny, but it's still 'white savior trope' to me.

Captain Steel 03-31-24 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Raven73 (Post 2450930)
Is it though? Over the course of Avatar, Jake gradually becomes more na'vi and completely immerses himself in their culture and biology. He is literally reborn. In Pocahontas (1995 - I haven't seen it, but I browsed the plot in Wikipedia), John Smith returns to England in the end, leaving Pocahontas behind.

Having grown up with Star Wars, I'm a big fan of epic sci-fi movies like this. I'm looking forward to the third installment.
Yes, admittedly the entire "avatar" aspect of the movie (humans using a technology to take on a physical manifestation of the aliens) is unique to the story and has no analogous aspect to Disney's Pocahontas.

But the basic plot (invaders from another land who are more technologically advanced than the natives, and the natives who are more primitive & in touch with the natural world, the love story of the outsider with a native, the whole "manifest destiny" attitude of the invaders - especially the main villain - to take the land and claim it as their own while desiring to subjugate or eliminate the natives) is the same as Disney's Pocahontas.

ActionRocks 04-01-24 12:03 AM

Are these questions or statements

stillmellow 04-01-24 12:03 AM

But have you seen the Avatar with air benders and stuff?

ActionRocks 04-01-24 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2450924)
My hope was this sentence would end with the word 'underwear'.

Wow.
That's uhm..
Wow.