Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Questions (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Answered: Buddy cop film with torture (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=60902)

AgrippinaX 02-12-20 07:35 PM

Hi everyone,

I’m trying to find a film I saw many years ago, so not many details to go by. It’s a buddy cop film, not a comedy, better described as an action film. One of the cops is African American, another is white (this is not Lethal Weapon, that was suggested to me many times and I’ve seen them all. Also I would say the tone is different, less light). The most notable scene towards the end features the death by a thousand cuts torture. The white guy gets tortured, the villain hangs him up on some kind of rack and makes small cuts on his chest with a razor. Then the other cop rescues him. The death by a thousand cuts scene is fairly long, it has an exposition, with the villain explaining what death by a thousand cuts was, etc... I would say it’s a ‘90s film, but it could also be early ‘00s. Grateful for any ideas :)

P.S. Just read the guidelines - definitely English language. US setting.

ynwtf 02-12-20 09:05 PM

Re: Buddy cop film with torture

I doubt this is your movie but Swimming with Sharks has a torture scene near the end by several paper cuts to the guy's face while tied to a chair.

TheUsualSuspect 02-12-20 11:00 PM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._boy_scout.jpg

Maybe????

AgrippinaX 02-13-20 10:08 AM

Thanks, ynwtf, I’m afraid that’s not it. No Hollywood subplots, definitely some kind of cop-action film. I’m 90% sure the guy was hanging upright with hands tied behind or over his back. The cuts were to his bare chest, because (I think!) the villain explained this was one of the most sensitive areas. The white guy is definitely in a hanging position and when his partner rescues him, he takes him ‘off’ wherever he’s hanging. This is silent, i.e. neither of them says anything in that moment. There is also a small possibility that one of them, the white guy, is not a cop, but just happened to be working with the cop for some reason. But I think they’re both cops.

AgrippinaX 02-13-20 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by TheUsualSuspect (Post 2065497)
This looks like it might be it! I didn’t remember Willis in there, but now you’ve suggested it, I kind of do... will check out ASAP!

pahaK 02-13-20 10:38 AM

This sounds so familiar but can't figure out any title at the moment. I will try to think, though. Quite sure it's not the suggested The Last Boy Scout.

Holden Pike 02-13-20 11:13 AM

The original post says it is not Leathal Weapon, but so many of the details line up but sound like they are simply misremembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2Xj8Pz2Tk

Either another movie blatantly ripped off this scene and exchanged cuts for electricity - which is certainly possibly, especially if it was a lower-rent, straight-to-video kind of release - or the original poster is conflating several standard graphically-torture-the-hero scenes in their mind.

Sedai 02-13-20 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2065575)
This looks like it might be it! I didn’t remember Willis in there, but now you’ve suggested it, I kind of do... will check out ASAP!
My wife and I just watched this, and the scene you describe is not in the film.

Sedai 02-13-20 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2065607)
My wife and I just watched this, and the scene you describe is not in the film.

Just off the top of my head you could try Training Day (2001) or Miami Vice (2006), but I don't recall a scene like that in either of those.

ynwtf 02-13-20 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2065617)
Just off the top of my head you could try Training Day (2001) or Miami Vice (2006), but I don't recall a scene like that in either of those.
I don't have a wife, and I've not seen either of these movies in a while. Maybe a year ago for Training Day and who cares how long for Miami Vice. The point is, I'm pretty sure I stayed in a Holiday Inn - Express last night. I think.

Also, totally agree with Holden up there that memories are blending between a few movies. Still thinkin' tho....

TheUsualSuspect 02-13-20 02:34 PM

The Last Boy Scout was a long shot since he repeatedly said it wasn't Lethal Weapon.

AgrippinaX 02-13-20 05:49 PM

I’m back. Definitely not ‘The Last Boy Scout’, not ‘Training Day’ or ‘Miami Vice’, as it’s not a series. I understand that the obvious conclusion is LW but it’s just not it. Also totally get why people think I may be confused, but one of my jobs is writing articles on film and it’s not the same angle as LW. The hanging scene is shot from a distance, there is more light, the room is white. The black guy comes in and sees the white guy hanging in the distance, maybe by a window (could be wrong about that, but not about colour white). The white guy himself is blonder than Mel Gibson and has different hair, more ash-coloured. Definitely cutting with a razor, no electricity. I do agree it could be a rip-off off the LW scene. But it wasn’t remotely graphic - the white guy just grunted and there was a bit of blood. The whole point of the long torture exposition was to explain the torture wouldn’t look ‘graphic’ but would be very painful.

AgrippinaX 02-13-20 05:54 PM

Just rewatched the LW torture clip - the main differences are a) the white guy needs to be taken off wherever he’s hanging by the black guy - in LW Gibson gets out himself. b) in LW they are both tortured in interchanging shots - but it needs to be the black guy driving a car, stopping, getting out, coming into the building and saving the white guy. Possibly shooting everyone else, but that part may be an extrapolation from all other cop movies.

AgrippinaX 02-13-20 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2065576)
This sounds so familiar but can't figure out any title at the moment. I will try to think, though. Quite sure it's not the suggested The Last Boy Scout.
I’m counting on you!

AgrippinaX 02-13-20 06:23 PM

P.S. just checked ‘Miami Vice’ the movie - not that, either, unfortunately.

Gideon58 02-13-20 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike (Post 2065584)
The original post says it is not Leathal Weapon, but so many of the details line up but sound like they are simply misremembered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy2Xj8Pz2Tk

Either another movie blatantly ripped off this scene and exchanged cuts for electricity - which is certainly possibly, especially if it was a lower-rent, straight-to-video kind of release - or the original poster is conflating several standard graphically-torture-the-hero scenes in their mind.
The original poster says that the guy strung up gets and gets cuts on his chest and that doesn't happen in Lethal Weapon. In that movie, they get Mel Gibson all wet and them give him electric shots with some kind of sponge that gives him electrical shocks.

AgrippinaX 02-13-20 06:45 PM

Gideon58,

Exactly. There are no shocks and no water. Scene set in a dry white room on a high floor, like an empty conference room, with a window. He is cut with a little razor. I may be overemphasising the whiteness, but the rest I’m pretty sure about.

OHForums 02-13-20 07:30 PM

Fled

Around time 56:00
https://tubitv.com/movies/301232/fled

John-Connor 02-13-20 07:33 PM

OHForums is the Man! This buddy 'cop' question was torturing my brain!

cricket 02-13-20 08:05 PM

I've seen that but wouldn't have thought of it in a thousand years.