Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=66849)

SpelingError 09-14-22 10:19 AM

Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

1 Attachment(s)

For the first time during a MoFo countdown, we're going to be having a Group Watch thread! Here's how this thread will work:

-The host will nominate a film from the 2010s, the participants will have 3 days to watch it, and to state that they watched the film in the thread (make sure your nomination doesn't last over four hours).

-You're not required to review the film. You can if you want to, but simply writing something like "I just watched XX and really enjoyed it" should suffice.

-Afterwards, the host will use a random number generator to pick the next person to nominate a film (provided the person watched your nomination and hasn't nominated a film yet) and the process would repeat.

-This thread will last till the deadline for the preliminary thread (or close to it).

-You can opt-in/opt-out of this thread whenever you want. You're not required to watch every film in this thread just because you watched one film in it.

In short, this is similar to a Hall of Fame, except it requires far less effort.

I'm sure many of us will be voting for some obscure films which not many MoFos have seen, so participating in this thread might be a good way to increase the likelihood of your film making the countdown.

SpelingError 09-14-22 10:19 AM

Nominations:

Certified Copy (2010, Abbas Kiarostami)
Nominated By: SpelingError

The Dressmaker (2015, Jocelyn Moorhouse)
Nominated By: Citizen Rules

Nymphomaniac: Part 1 (2013, Lars Von Trier)
Nominated By: donniedarko

Still Life (2013, Uberto Pasolini)
Nominated By: mrblond

Clash (2016, Mohamed Diab)
Nominated By: cricket

Who Killed Captain Alex? (2010, Nabwana I.G.G.)
Nominated By: jiraffejustin

Blue Jasmine (2013, Woody Allen)
Nominated By: mistique

Andhadhun (2018, Sriram Raghavan)
Nominated By: WrinkledMind

Searching (2018, Aneesh Chagantry)
Nominated By: gbgoodies

Ernest & Celestine (2012, Stéphane Aubier, Vincent Patar, and Benjamin Renner)
Nominated By: Miss Vicky

Poetry (2010, Lee Chang-dong)
Nominated By: seanc

The Broken Circle Breakdown (2012, Felix van Groeningen)

The Lure (2015, Agnieszka Smoczyńska)
Nominated By: Allaby

Lilting (2014, Hong Khaou)
Nominated By: Takoma11

Calvary (2014, John Michael McDonagh)
Nominated By: seanc

Real Steel (2011, Shawn Levy)
Nominated By: gbgoodies

Capernaum (2018, Nadine Labaki)
Nominated By: cricket

Marshland (2014, Alberto Rodríguez)
Nominated By: WrinkledMind

Better Days (2019, Derek Tsang)
Nominated By: Wyldesyde19

Tikkun (2015, Avishai Sivan)

Cameraperson (2016, Kirsten Johnson)

Thirst Street (2017, Nathan Silver)
Nominated By: crumbsroom

Lady Macbeth (2016, William Oldroyd)

Good Manners (2017, Juliana Rojas and Marco Dutra)
Nominated By: Frightened Inmate No. 2

The Burden (2017, Niki Lindroth von Bahr)

Summer 1993 (2017, Carla Simón)
Nominated By: Allaby

Tangerines (2013, Zaza Urushadze)
Nominated By: ScarletLion

On-Gaku: Our Sound (2019, Kenji Iwaisawa)
Nominated By: Torgo

A Girl in the River: The Price of Forgiveness (2015, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy)

SpelingError 09-14-22 10:20 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nomination #1

Certified Copy (2010, Abbas Kiarostami)

Deadline to Watch It: September 17

SpelingError 09-14-22 10:21 AM

Re: Movie Forums Top 100 of the 2010s - Group Watch

And of course, let me know if you need a link to it.

cricket 09-14-22 10:33 AM

Have not been a fan of that director so far but I do like Juliette Binoche. Looking forward to it and awesome idea for a thread!

SpelingError 09-14-22 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2332650)
Have not been a fan of that director so far but I do like Juliette Binoche. Looking forward to it and awesome idea for a thread!
I'm an (occasional) fan of him, but this is probably my favorite of his films.

cricket 09-14-22 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332656)
I'm an (occasional) fan of him, but this is probably my favorite of his films.
I believe I've only seen Taste of Cherry and Ten

Frightened Inmate No. 2 09-14-22 11:15 AM

i doubt i'll get around to rewatching it but certified copy is a masterpiece and will surely be very high on my list. kiarostami is my favorite director and i'd say this is one of his top three films

Citizen Rules 09-14-22 01:37 PM

Awesome idea SpelingError...I'm impressed!

This has to be one of the best ideas to come along to MoFo in many a blue moon...I like it! and I will participate where I can. I just read about Certified Copy (2010) and it looks like a film the wife and I can watch, good choice. I could use a link with hard subs if you have one handy.

SpelingError 09-14-22 01:54 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2332708)
Awesome idea SpelingError...I'm impressed!

This has to be one of the best ideas to come along to MoFo in many a blue moon...I like it! and I will participate where I can. I just read about Certified Copy (2010) and it looks like a film the wife and I can watch, good choice. I could use a link with hard subs if you have one handy.
Sent!

Also, thanks!

Allaby 09-14-22 05:50 PM

Just finished watching Certified Copy.

MovieMeditation 09-14-22 05:59 PM

Certified Copy is the only Abbas I’ve seen so far but I enjoyed it a whole lot. Good pick for a nom in this.

I don’t think I have time to participate in this unfortunately but a fine idea. :up:

Allaby 09-14-22 06:03 PM

I've now seen four of Abbas Kiarostami's films. My rankings of his films:

1. Where Is My Friend's House?
2. Taste of Cherry
3. Close-Up
4. Certified Copy

SpelingError 09-14-22 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by Allaby (Post 2332789)
I've now seen four of Abbas Kiarostami's films. My rankings of his films:

1. Where Is My Friend's House?
2. Taste of Cherry
3. Close-Up
4. Certified Copy
I've seen those plus Through the Olive Trees and The Wind Will Carry Us. I'd recommend all of them.

SpelingError 09-14-22 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2332788)
Certified Copy is the only Abbas I’ve seen so far but I enjoyed it a whole lot. Good pick for a nom in this.

I don’t think I have time to participate in this unfortunately but a fine idea. :up:
I take it you don't wish to be a candidate for hosting the next round then.

seanc 09-14-22 06:25 PM

Love Kiarastomi and this is a great idea. I will definitely try to get to a rewatch of this the next couple nights.

donniedarko 09-14-22 07:07 PM

Close-Up is in my top 50 all time, so excited to check this one out

Citizen Rules 09-14-22 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by MovieMeditation (Post 2332788)

I think anyone can just pop in at any time and watch the current movie that's up, I don't think we join for the long haul but I should find out for sure... Is that correct @SpelingError ?

SpelingError 09-14-22 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2332809)
I think anyone can just pop in at any time and watch the current movie that's up, I don't think we join for the long haul but I should find out for sure... Is that correct @SpelingError ?
Correct. You can opt-in/opt-out of this thread whenever you want. You're not required to watch every film in this thread just because you watched one film in it.

MovieMeditation 09-14-22 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332793)
I take it you don't wish to be a candidate for hosting the next round then.
(After actually understanding the rules) I’ll be a candidate then :up:

John-Connor 09-14-22 07:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
CERTIFIED COPY 'Copie conforme' 2010

Interesting subject matter, reminded me at times of Orson Welles ‘Vérités et Mensonges’ F for Fake '73. The acting in multiple languages, very impressive by both of the leads. Tuscany is a magnificent filming location, hope to visit the region soon.

cricket 09-14-22 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2332657)
I believe I've only seen Taste of Cherry and Ten
Seen Close Up as well, going to try to watch this one tomorrow

Takoma11 09-14-22 08:26 PM

I watched Certified Copy pretty recently and it's really strong.

I will say though (I'm sure to the annoyance of people who are fans of it), that I felt like I connected with it more on a technical level than on a personal or ~spiritual~ level, or however you want to distinguish between films that are great and films that are favorites.

rauldc14 09-14-22 08:41 PM

I won't get to it before the deadline, but Certified Copy is one of the biggest Kiarostami films left for me.

crumbsroom 09-14-22 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2332827)
I watched Certified Copy pretty recently and it's really strong.

I will say though (I'm sure to the annoyance of people who are fans of it), that I felt like I connected with it more on a technical level than on a personal or ~spiritual~ level, or however you want to distinguish between films that are great and films that are favorites.

Nah, that sounds about right to me.

This obviously shouldn't dissuade anyone from seeing it. And it's a much friendlier watch than some of his other films. But he's never going to beat Close Up or Where Is The Friends House. Those two are for the ages. Those two alone make him one of the greats of modern(ish) cinema

I'll add my own sacrilege just for fun and say I have never really understood the greatness of Binoche. Like, at all.

SpelingError 09-14-22 08:54 PM

Btw, do you guys think 4 days is fine, or do you think we could shorten the deadline to 3 days? Just want to give us all enough time to watch the film.

SpelingError 09-14-22 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2332831)
Nah, that sounds about right to me.

This obviously shouldn't dissuade anyone from seeing it. And it's a much friendlier watch than some of his other films. But he's never going to beat Close Up or Where Is The Friends House. Those two are for the ages. Those two alone make him one of the greats of modern(ish) cinema

I'll add my own sacrilege just for fun and say I have never really understood the greatness of Binoche. Like, at all.
Out of curiosity, have you seen A Moment of Innocence? It's similar to Close-Up in the sense that it combines narrative and documentary filmmaking, but even though it's less well-known, I greatly prefer it.

crumbsroom 09-14-22 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332833)
Out of curiosity, have you seen A Moment of Innocence? It's similar to Close-Up in the sense that it combines narrative and documentary filmmaking, but even though it's less well-known, I greatly prefer it.

You know what, I'm not sure. I think probably not. I'll keep that in mind

SpelingError 09-14-22 09:01 PM

Also, it looks like Allaby, MovieMeditation, John-Connor, and Takoma11 are the current candidates for picking the next film, unless I'm missing anyone (generally, if you watched the film recently, you should be fine).

Takoma11 09-14-22 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332832)
Btw, do you guys think 4 days is fine, or do you think we could shorten the deadline to 3 days? Just want to give us all enough time to watch the film.
Here's a thought (just a thought!):

What if you keep the time to 4 days, but when it's someone's turn to nominate a film they nominate a film and also an "honorable mention"?

That way someone with less free time has 4 days to watch the film, but someone with more time (or who has already seen the main nomination) has another one to tackle?

Then again, this is a pretty low-pressure thread because there aren't really obligations beyond participating to the extent you want. If you wanted to shorten the timeline to 3 days people could still use the thread as motivation and/or a place to chat about what they're watching.

Allaby 09-14-22 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332832)
3 days is fine with me.

SpelingError 09-14-22 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2332837)

What if you keep the time to 4 days, but when it's someone's turn to nominate a film they nominate a film and also an "honorable mention"?

That way someone with less free time has 4 days to watch the film, but someone with more time (or who has already seen the main nomination) has another one to tackle?

Then again, this is a pretty low-pressure thread because there aren't really obligations beyond participating to the extent you want. If you wanted to shorten the timeline to 3 days people could still use the thread as motivation and/or a place to chat about what they're watching.
Decent suggestion. For now though, I mainly just want to see if this thread idea gets enough user participation before I start adding more rules onto it. I may keep that in mind later on though.

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 11:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Certified Copy (2010)

That scene in the small cafe towards the end of the film was my favorite scene. It's the scene where Juliette Binoche gets to shine the most. I've seen her in a few things and she's usually good. Apparently I've seen William Shimell before, but I didn't remember him. Maybe because his character doesn't seem to have much warmth but then again that's part of the story.

I wasn't much into the story to be honest. I did like the sneak peak at Tuscany. The country side with the gently curving hills covered in silvery gray olive trees that dot the landscape was quite lovely to look at especially with the juxdapostion of those statuesque cypress trees lining the road. That was a thing of beauty, so was Juliette after she gets all dolled up for her husband who promptly doesn't notice her efforts.

It was curious that at one point she goes into a church to remove her bra, is that like an Italian thing. But what was really ironic was that I had noticed how sloppy she looked with her bra straps showing under her top. I guess that was by design.

I can't compare Certified Copy to any of Abbas Kiarostami other films as I haven't seen any others.

Thanks SpelingError

John-Connor 09-15-22 11:23 AM

^ My fav scene was at the cafe where they drink coffee/cappucino and the older lady says;
'It'd be stupid of us to ruin our lives for an ideal.' great line!

WrinkledMind 09-15-22 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332836)
Also, it looks like Allaby, MovieMeditation, John-Connor, and Takoma11 are the current candidates for picking the next film, unless I'm missing anyone (generally, if you watched the film recently, you should be fine).
Dude!

WrinkledMind 09-15-22 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2332837)

Also availability of the film might be an issue. The movie I want to suggest might not be easily available, so I might present an alternative.

SpelingError 09-15-22 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by WrinkledMind (Post 2332940)
Dude!
Did you watch it already? Sorry if I missed your post.

WrinkledMind 09-15-22 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332944)
Did you watch it already? Sorry if I missed your post.
Watching it tonight. But I thought I was part of this thing.
And no need to apologise.

SpelingError 09-15-22 11:44 AM

I won't write this much for every film in this thread (reminder that nobody here is required to write a review for any of the nominations), but I watched this film for the first time about 2-3 weeks ago and really dug it. It starts out as a conventional drama which seems to be leading to a romance between the two leads, but once you get to the halfway point, the film suddenly turns into magic realism as the two of them start talking like they were a married couple for many years. I really enjoyed this premise as it definitely created a ton of intrigue over where the story was going. The pacing has a nice flow and I felt it was really enjoyable to watch its story unfold. It's the kind of film where I loved spending time with the two leads.

I guess my only nitpick is that I'm not sure what the correlation was between the writer's thesis on the authenticity of art and the premise of the film. Given the Criterion poster for the film, I'm guessing the versions of the two leads in the second half are supposed to be different copies of the leads in the first half, but this still seems to be barely scratching the surface of the ideas brought up in the writer's essay. I suppose it's not a huge deal though. I think my main takeaway with this though is, for a movie which argues that authenticity in art is irrelevant, it's far more unique than most films I've seen.

8/10 (it'll probably make my ballot)

SpelingError 09-15-22 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by WrinkledMind (Post 2332945)
Watching it tonight. But I thought I was part of this thing.
And no need to apologise.
Aye gotcha. I was just referring to them as the people who've already watched the film. Glad to have you on board as well though :up:

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2332939)
^ My fav scene was at the cafe where they drink coffee/cappucino and the older lady says;
'It'd be stupid of us to ruin our lives for an ideal.' great line!
Yeah that old lady in the cafe was my favorite character. There was a line earlier on that I was going to remember as I liked what it said...but wouldn't you know it, I forget it.

cricket 09-15-22 12:45 PM

This was a hell of a day for me to watch Certified Copy. My wife and I were both up extra early this morning and I put it on as she later napped on the recliner. The reason I took off work this week is because today happens to be our wedding anniversary, and of course we honeymooned in Italy. I had no idea going in what it was about but watching it today turned out to be a special treat which moved me to tears.

The 4th movie I've seen from this director, the most recent, and I never would have guessed it. This was much more polished and professional in appearance, not that I don't like a raw style because I do. I was wrapped up from the start even though for many people it wouldn't be about all that much. That is truly a gift, and there's probably a certain amount of good faith involved just to give the go ahead on a project like this. Of course by 2010 the director had a well established reputation so that helps. Loved the two imperfect lead characters, great performances from the actors. This is a very intelligent and insightful film about the ups and downs of relationships, the needs of a woman, and other similar things. It's an incredible moment when the tourist tells the man to put his hand on her shoulder and he does just that. Almost impossible to give a woman what she wants but it's very simple to give her what she needs. All it takes is the want to and this was a great illustration of that. Pretending to be married is where I take it the title comes from, although I did see it as possible that they were indeed married and starting over from scratch. That's not clear and I like that, but I'll say I like to believe it's the latter. Reminded me of Before Sunrise which I dislike. This is the mature version. I'm thankful to have been able to watch this and lucky that it happened today.

SpelingError 09-15-22 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2332976)
This was a hell of a day for me to watch Certified Copy. My wife and I were both up extra early this morning and I put it on as she later napped on the recliner. The reason I took off work this week is because today happens to be our wedding anniversary, and of course we honeymooned in Italy. I had no idea going in what it was about but watching it today turned out to be a special treat which moved me to tears.

The 4th movie I've seen from this director, the most recent, and I never would have guessed it. This was much more polished and professional in appearance, not that I don't like a raw style because I do. I was wrapped up from the start even though for many people it wouldn't be about all that much. That is truly a gift, and there's probably a certain amount of good faith involved just to give the go ahead on a project like this. Of course by 2010 the director had a well established reputation so that helps. Loved the two imperfect lead characters, great performances from the actors. This is a very intelligent and insightful film about the ups and downs of relationships, the needs of a woman, and other similar things. It's an incredible moment when the tourist tells the man to put his hand on her shoulder and he does just that. Almost impossible to give a woman what she wants but it's very simple to give her what she needs. All it takes is the want to and this was a great illustration of that. Pretending to be married is where I take it the title comes from, although I did see it as possible that they were indeed married and starting over from scratch. That's not clear and I like that, but I'll say I like to believe it's the latter. Reminded me of Before Sunrise which I dislike. This is the mature version. I'm thankful to have been able to watch this and lucky that it happened today.
Glad you really enjoyed it. Also, happy anniversary!

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 01:14 PM

...Reminded me of Before Sunrise which I dislike. ...
It reminded me of Before Sunrise too. You went to Italy on your honeymoon, you lucky dog!

SpelingError 09-15-22 01:17 PM

Btw, I decided to make the deadline September 17th as I think three days should be plenty of time.

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332990)
Btw, I decided to make the deadline September 17th as I think three days should be plenty of time.
Three days is cool.

Just a thought, what if there was no deadline, but just every 3 days there's a different 2010s movie up for us to watch? You could say if someone comes along a week or more from now and watches Certified Copy then their name would still go into the pool for possibly choosing the next movie?

SpelingError 09-15-22 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2332992)
Three days is cool.

Just a thought, what if there was no deadline, but just every 3 days there's a different 2010s movie up for us to watch? You could say if someone comes along a week or more from now and watches Certified Copy then their name would still go into the pool for possibly choosing the next movie?
I'll probably stick with the current setup for now, but if this thread remains popular after about a month, I could probably add that rule.

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332994)
I'll probably stick with the current setup for now, but if this thread remains popular after about a month, I could probably add that rule.
:up:

Can't wait for the next movie and if it's my turn I got a good one picked out🙂

SpelingError 09-15-22 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2332998)
:up:

Can't wait for the next movie and if it's my turn I got a good one picked out🙂
I'm guessing your nomination will be an extreme horror film :D

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2332999)
I'm guessing your nomination will be an extreme horror film :D
Ha, nope:p

mrblond 09-15-22 02:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw Certified Copy couple of years ago.
A film full of aromas, also painfully nostalgic at moments. Kind of a walk for the lead characters, at their late mid-age, through the places and memories, trying to catch the feelings of their youth. At least, I felt the film like that.
Juliette Binoche at her best here.
It is definitely a top 100 movie of the 2010's. Unfortunately, may be hard to cover it with this short ballot of 25.

We've traveled by car around Tuscany in 2017 (visiting only the main cities Florence, Siena, Pisa plus the small San Gimignano). This added additional touch to the movie for us.

8.0/10

MovieFan1988 09-15-22 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2333004)
Ha, nope:p
It must be this movie and it's a 2010 movie too lol :p

https://i.postimg.cc/cJjSrn3c/I-Spit...ave-Remake.jpg

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by MovieFan1988 (Post 2333022)
It must be this movie and it's a 2010 movie too lol :p

https://i.postimg.cc/cJjSrn3c/I-Spit...ave-Remake.jpg
That's what I look like in the morning when I get up earlier and trim the hedges:D

SpelingError 09-15-22 03:01 PM

Maybe that isn't a horror movie after all and is simply about some creepy looking person trimming their hedges in the morning.

Citizen Rules 09-15-22 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2333029)
Maybe that isn't a horror movie after all and is simply about some creepy looking person trimming their hedges in the morning.
See I told you it was me!:eek:

MovieFan1988 09-15-22 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2333029)
It's more of a thriller then horror, you should watch it :lol::lol: those hedge clippers in the creepy looking person's hands are used in the movie in a very violent manner ehhh :D

WrinkledMind 09-15-22 03:35 PM

Finished watching Certified Copy and thoroughly enjoyed it. This was my first Kiarostami movie.
I like how a movie about two people conversing kept me intrigued about their possible relationship, or if there even was any. It was beautifully shot and Binoche is a force of an actress, with her ability to portray even the faintest emotion so clearly.
Thanks @SpelingError

seanc 09-15-22 09:12 PM

This was the perfect first choice for me. It’s a rewatch, but the first came when I first came here and was just starting to get into movies that were never going to show up in my multiplex. It was my first Kiarastomi, and I immediately fell in love with his dialogue. I love how his films play out and lead you along like they are a mystery despite being about simple humanity and relationships. The depth all comes from the characterizations, and it is slways beautiful to watch unfold.

Kiarastomi wasn’t my only discovery here. I had seen Binoche before but this was the first time I sat up and paid attention to her. I think it’s the performance that started to make her one of my favorite actresses, possibly my favorite period.

This was a really cool rewatch. Kiarastomi movies always remind me both how fragile and how strong we are. How much heartbreak life has, but also how much joy. He’s one of the greats.

gbgoodies 09-16-22 12:51 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/75...1a34402c26.jpg

gbgoodies 09-16-22 12:58 AM

Certified Copy started off okay, but everything after they went into the coffee shop and started acting like a married couple felt uncomfortable. They went from being two people who seemed to have just met and could be starting a relationship, to acting like an unhappily married couple. They were so convincing as a married couple who seemed to dislike each other that I started to wonder if they had some previous relationship that I missed.

I can understand why someone might want to pretend to be a married couple, but why would they want to pretend to be fighting? I seem to be in the minority here, but I just didn't get it. :confused:

gbgoodies 09-16-22 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2332938)
I wasn't much into the story to be honest. I did like the sneak peak at Tuscany. The country side with the gently curving hills covered in silvery gray olive trees that dot the landscape was quite lovely to look at especially with the juxdapostion of those statuesque cypress trees lining the road. That was a thing of beauty, so was Juliette after she gets all dolled up for her husband who promptly doesn't notice her efforts.

If you liked the Tuscany country side, you might want to check out the movie Under the Tuscan Sun (2003). It's about a woman who buys a rundown villa in Tuscany and fixes it up. (There's more to the story than that, but you'll have to watch the movie to find out the rest.)

seanc 09-16-22 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2333238)
Certified Copy started off okay, but everything after they went into the coffee shop and started acting like a married couple felt uncomfortable. They went from being two people who seemed to have just met and could be starting a relationship, to acting like an unhappily married couple. They were so convincing as a married couple who seemed to dislike each other that I started to wonder if they had some previous relationship that I missed.

I can understand why someone might want to pretend to be a married couple, but why would they want to pretend to be fighting? I seem to be in the minority here, but I just didn't get it. :confused:
I really think Kiarastomi is just showing us the ebbs and flows of relationships in a heightened way. It definitely isn’t meant to be as literal as you are taking it. I don’t think the characters are pretending. Kiarastomi is presenting. I think when they are talking as if unfamiliar with each other it represents how a couple feels when they have been away from each other for long periods of time. It’s quite literal here because of his job, but again I think anyone who has been in a relationship can sympathize with feeling distant from a partner emotionally at times. How do you get that spark and connection back? I ultimately think that’s what Certified Copy is driving at in that final third. I absolutely love the scene in the hotel at the end. Where Binoche is talking about remembering every detail of their honeymoon down to the smell. You can really feel her longing in that scene.

SpelingError 09-16-22 11:07 AM

You guys have about 24 more hours to watch the film. After that, I'll choose the next host. Here are the current candidates to be the next host:

Allaby
MovieMeditation
John-Connor
Takoma11
Citizen Rules
cricket
mrblond
WrinkledMind
seanc
gbgoodies

Citizen Rules 09-16-22 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2333242)
If you liked the Tuscany country side, you might want to check out the movie Under the Tuscan Sun (2003). It's about a woman who buys a rundown villa in Tuscany and fixes it up. (There's more to the story than that, but you'll have to watch the movie to find out the rest.)
Thanks GBG, I asked the wife if we've seen Under the Tuscan Sun and she said we did, I guess we liked it OK.

gbgoodies 09-17-22 01:02 AM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2333314)
I really think Kiarastomi is just showing us the ebbs and flows of relationships in a heightened way. It definitely isn’t meant to be as literal as you are taking it. I don’t think the characters are pretending. Kiarastomi is presenting. I think when they are talking as if unfamiliar with each other it represents how a couple feels when they have been away from each other for long periods of time. It’s quite literal here because of his job, but again I think anyone who has been in a relationship can sympathize with feeling distant from a partner emotionally at times. How do you get that spark and connection back? I ultimately think that’s what Certified Copy is driving at in that final third. I absolutely love the scene in the hotel at the end. Where Binoche is talking about remembering every detail of their honeymoon down to the smell. You can really feel her longing in that scene.

I understand what you're saying. I just didn't see it that way. I guess I just took it too literally, but the more they argued, the less I liked the movie. It just didn't make sense to me why anyone would choose to act like that.

seanc 09-17-22 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by gbgoodies (Post 2333565)
I understand what you're saying. I just didn't see it that way. I guess I just took it too literally, but the more they argued, the less I liked the movie. It just didn't make sense to me why anyone would choose to act like that.
That’s fair. I really like movies where couples argue if the dialogue is good. Think that’s why I love Bergman so much. Guess that might be some insight from nto why I’m divorced. :D.

SpelingError 09-17-22 10:27 AM

The first round is now over. After using a random number generator, the next person to host is...

Allaby
MovieMeditation
John-Connor
Takoma11
@Citizen Rules
cricket
mrblond
WrinkledMind
seanc
gbgoodies

Pick a movie, follow the same format as this post, and you should be good :up:

John-Connor 09-17-22 01:29 PM

https://youtu.be/omoNXtnVt1g

SpelingError 09-17-22 01:34 PM

He should probably be online soon.

Citizen Rules 09-17-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2333696)
Hey now, I just got up!:cool:

John-Connor 09-17-22 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2333701)
Hey now, I just got up!:cool:
Goodmorning! Just jokin, take your time CR, have a Coffee first..

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/b2...945d4421de.jpg

Citizen Rules 09-17-22 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by John-Connor (Post 2333703)
Goodmorning! Just jokin, take your time CR, have a Coffee first..

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/10/b2...945d4421de.jpg
I've already downed my morning iced mocha and I'm working on finding a true gem for us all to watch:D

Citizen Rules 09-17-22 02:15 PM

Working on it at the moment..........stand by

SpelingError 09-17-22 02:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Nomination #2

The Dressmaker (2015, Jocelyn Moorhouse)

Deadline to Watch It: September 20

Nominated By: Citizen Rules

SpelingError 09-17-22 02:51 PM

Also, see me if you need a link.

SpelingError 09-17-22 02:52 PM

Also, I'll watch it tomorrow, if not today.

seanc 09-17-22 03:02 PM

Really weird, but maybe not do much, that I watched Dressmaker last night. I knew Citizen liked it and it has been on my radar since it came out. I’m a big Winslet fan.

When I was done watching I said on Letterboxd that this felt like a Coen brothers movie without the great bits. It was definitely going for the quirky surreal style of a great Coen comedy. I thought it lacked the sharp writing and satisfying thematic through line of those films though.

Winslet elevated it, and I wasn’t bored. It just didn’t totally work for me unfortunately.

If my name doesn’t go in the hat because I was a day early that’s totally cool. I will be reading everyone’s comments and I will be ready for the next round. Hope everyone enjoys it more than I did.

Allaby 09-17-22 03:04 PM

Sounds interesting. I’ll likely watch it tonight.

SpelingError 09-17-22 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2333730)
Really weird, but maybe not do much, that I watched Dressmaker last night.
Maybe you read his mind :eek:

Citizen Rules 09-17-22 03:17 PM

I'll watch The Dressmaker for what will be my third viewing in a day or two. It's an Australian film and I think it has that Australian film vibe to it.

Previously I'd wrote this:
The Dressmaker with it's strange mix of haute couture fashions in a remote Australian outback town in 1951 reminded me of that ecliptic Australian film, The Road Warrior. Not in the subject mater of course, but just in the way the film constructs a fable-folklore type world and in the quirkiness of it's inhabitants. It must be an Australian movie thing as it's also a bit like the Australian film The Dish (2000)
The Dressmaker in a way also reminds me of a nom from the 29th HoF The Year My Voice Broke (1987). Australian films often have a unique feel about them.

Takoma11 09-17-22 04:24 PM

I watched The Dressmaker semirecently. Overall I liked it, but didn't love it.

The positives were definitely the cast and, if you vibe with it, the sense of karma and comeuppance. In addition to Winslet in the lead role, supporting players like Hugo Weaving, Sarah Snook, and Judy Davis are all really strong. I think that the film captures at once the allure and the negatives of a small town. These people could have been happy and functional, but instead bullying and secrets spoil everything, even trickling down to a boy feeling entitled to physically abuse a classmate.

I also really loved the costumes and their role in the plot.

But overall something didn't totally click in the film for me. A turning point was (major spoilers!)
WARNING: spoilers below
her love interest jumping into the grain silo. Just so stupid and while, ugh yes, people do stupid things sometimes when they are in love, it was a frustrating turn of events

I was also a bit torn on the different revenge that we see throughout the film. I never quite connected with Tilly or the other townspeople in a way that made the different people getting their due as satisfying as it should have been.

For me it's a solid

Miss Vicky 09-17-22 04:33 PM

I watched The Dressmaker in 2018 for the 17th HOF. It was pretty good, but I've got too much on my plate to do a rewatch.

Here's what I wrote about it back then:

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1950002)
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...dressmaker.gif

The Dressmaker (Jocelyn Moorhouse, 2015)
Imdb

Date Watched: 09/15/18
Cinema or Home: Home
Reason For Watching: 17th MoFo Hall of Fame, nominated by @CitizenRules
Rewatch: No.

I must say that when I saw that this film had been nominated, I was not at all excited about it. Just the title was a bit of a turnoff for me and the trailer made it seem as though it would provide little more than some light entertainment.

And for the first part of the film, I thought those initial impressions were going to be proved true. I didn't care much at all for Hugo Weaving's character (and still didn't really by the end of the film) - who felt perhaps a little more caricature than character to me and that was true of many of the other supporting characters. Also I thought Liam Hemsworth's Teddy did little more than to serve as a bit of eye candy (and he isn't even the best looking Hemsworth brother, that one's in a different 17th HOF nom) with little about him to make him feel real.

Thankfully, the lead role is in the far more capable hands of Kate Winslet who infuses her performance with a strong sense of glamour, strength, and vulnerability. I really felt for her struggles to understand her past, cried tears over her losses, and smirked along with her as she exacted her revenge. And it's really this performance that made the film for me. Sure, I laughed at some of the antics of the other characters and liked the bright colors and overall look of the film (though I don't give a flying crap about fashion and haven't worn a dress since my brother's wedding several years ago), but there wasn't a whole lot else here. Still, I had a good time with it and it was a good way to break my two month streak of not being able to finish a movie.

Allaby 09-17-22 07:42 PM

I watched The Dressmaker today.

SpelingError 09-18-22 12:17 PM

I'll be getting to The Dressmaker today. Looking forward to it.

cricket 09-18-22 12:25 PM

I've seen The Dressmaker so I will skip this round. My wife enjoyed it quite a bit:p

Citizen Rules 09-18-22 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2333885)
I've seen The Dressmaker so I will skip this round. My wife enjoyed it quite a bit:p
So did mine!

SpelingError 09-18-22 07:03 PM

Just finished The Dressmaker. I thought it was fine, but it won't make my ballot.

SpelingError 09-18-22 08:40 PM

So far, the current candidates for hosting the next round are seanc, Takoma, and Allaby (I didn't count myself and Citizen since we've already went). More of you should join in here as well, even if you only end up staying for a couple rounds.

Takoma11 09-18-22 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2333953)
So far, the current candidates for hosting the next round are seanc, Takoma, and Allaby (I didn't count myself and Citizen since we've already went). More of you should join in here as well, even if you only end up staying for a couple rounds.
And Vicky!

Citizen Rules 09-18-22 08:56 PM

https://theoddapple.com/wp-content/u...-explained.jpg
The Dressmaker (Jocelyn Moorhouse 2015)

Nope it's not a 'chick flick', and nope it's not a western even though IMDB tags it as such. The Dressmaker is an R rated, Australian, dark revenge comedy-drama. Think of it as High Plains Drifter only instead of the cigar smoking man with out a name who's come back to the small town in the middle of nowhere to pay back the shit that happened to him...instead you have Kate Winslet as the mysterious cigarette smoking outsider returned to the small minded, mean spirited outback town that once treated her like shit. She's been away in France and made a ton of money by becoming a top fashion designer. And yeah she gets her licks into that shit ass town one way, then another. If you haven't seen The Dressmaker then you probably have the wrong idea about this film. I'd really like you to watch it, please! and just maybe it will end up on a ballot or two for our upcoming 2010s countdown. Bless the MoFos.

SpelingError 09-18-22 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Takoma11 (Post 2333955)
And Vicky!
Yeah, her too. Admittedly, it's kind of hard to distinguish between people posting their thoughts on the films here who don't wish to be involved and those who do, so I'll just assume that everyone who posts their thoughts here for now on intend for the former unless told otherwise.

Miss Vicky 09-19-22 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2333993)
Yeah, her too. Admittedly, it's kind of hard to distinguish between people posting their thoughts on the films here who don't wish to be involved and those who do, so I'll just assume that everyone who posts their thoughts here for now on intend for the former unless told otherwise.
I do intend to participate sporadically, if movies come up that interest me. Totally up to you as host if you want to count me posting a four year old review as participating though. I'll take no offense if you don't want to include me in the list of possible pickers for the next round.

SpelingError 09-19-22 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2334001)
I do intend to participate sporadically, if movies come up that interest me. Totally up to you as host if you want to count me posting a four year old review as participating though. I'll take no offense if you don't want to include me in the list of possible pickers for the next round.
Generally, my idea with this thread is that, even if you've already seen the film, you should still rewatch it (unless you watched it fairly recently), but if you feel the film is still somewhat fresh in your head or that a rewatch wouldn't change your opinion of the film, you should probably be good. So, if you feel that applies to you, I'm cool with including you.

Miss Vicky 09-19-22 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by SpelingError (Post 2334004)
Generally, my idea with this thread is that, even if you've already seen the film, you should still rewatch it (unless you watched it fairly recently), but if you feel the film is still somewhat fresh in your head or that a rewatch wouldn't change your opinion of the film, you should probably be good. So, if you feel that applies to you, I'm cool with including you.
I think it's still pretty fresh.

SpelingError 09-19-22 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 2334061)
I think it's still pretty fresh.
Welcome aboard then!

mrblond 09-19-22 11:23 AM

I started watching The Dressmaker two days ago.
I'm going to post some thoughts later when the Queen funeral ceremony and procession reach to an end.

WrinkledMind 09-19-22 12:42 PM

Took me two days to finish The Dressmaker, but that was down to my busy schedule, rather than the movie, which is kinda difficult to shove in one particular genre.

And it's usually difficult for any filmmaker to pull off a multi genre story, but for most part it worked here. And rather wonderfully. And primary reason for that is Winslet's and Davis' terrific performances. Funny to also see a male actor just specifically used as beauty prop. I mean what else was Hemsworth's purpose?

This a was a surprise and pleasant one at that. Thanks @Citizen Rules

donniedarko 09-19-22 12:45 PM

A little late, but I did get a chance to check out Certified Copy, and was fairly underwhelmed. While the dialogue did feel fairly authentic and genuine, something about the film and its lead actors was to self-indulged and snooty for me to get into. I much preferred the backyard filming feel of Close-Up from two decades prior. Perhaps on another watch, this would strike more nerves with me, but this time it fell very flat.

Will try to get to The Dressmaker sometime this week

Citizen Rules 09-19-22 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by WrinkledMind (Post 2334101)
Took me two days to finish The Dressmaker, but that was down to my busy schedule, rather than the movie, which is kinda difficult to shove in one particular genre.

And it's usually difficult for any filmmaker to pull off a multi genre story, but for most part it worked here. And rather wonderfully. And primary reason for that is Winslet's and Davis' terrific performances. Funny to also see a male actor just specifically used as beauty prop. I mean what else was Hemsworth's purpose?

This a was a surprise and pleasant one at that. Thanks @Citizen Rules
Thanks to you for taking the time to watch it:)
I love The Dressmaker of course. I can't wait to see what our next movie is going to be?

SpelingError 09-19-22 01:21 PM

Current candidates to be the next host:

seanc
Takoma11
Miss Vicky
Allaby
WrinkledMind
donniedarko

You guys have about 24 hours left to watch it, so make sure to watch it if you haven't yet.