Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Ongoing Tournaments & Brackets (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   A Song For October (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62413)

Chypmunk 09-25-20 01:00 PM

A Song For October

Same as was done in previous tournaments of this type.....
  • Join in and drop out as you please
  • No set number of nominations, nominate on the fly
  • Max song duration: 10 minutes
  • No individual matches means no random or host 'fixing' the matches
  • Only one nomination per person per 'round'
  • Only those with songs nominated in any 'round' are eligible to vote; except the 'Final' where all those that have previously nominated a song in the month may vote should they wish

Every couple of days will be a new 'round' where any and all newly nominated songs are up against each other. As soon as voting starts for one 'round' nominations will be accepted for the next 'round'.

Players vote by ranking all the songs in that 'round' from 1 (their favourite) to n (their least favourite). Songs will be awarded points based on their positional ranking in each vote (number of points will depend on the number of songs contesting the 'round' - if 10 songs #1 song would get 10 points, #10 song would get 1 point).

The winning song from each 'round' (or songs in the case of a tie) goes through to the 'Final' at the end of the month.

Songs that made it to previous 'finals' are ineligible -
list here  

Simples but if any relevant questions just ask.

Chypmunk 09-25-20 01:01 PM

Re: A Song For October

Thread up plenty early so @Yoda can perhaps clear a little space in his diary for a round or three of this.....

Chypmunk 09-25-20 01:03 PM

Nominations for Round 1 welcome - open until 9am IST/BST on October 1st.

Mine:
O Children - Ruins

pahaK 09-25-20 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2127233)
[*]Max song duration: 10 minutes
There's a song I've wanted to nominate multiple times but it's annoyingly 10:11 long so it barely fails the rules check :D

gbgoodies 09-26-20 03:07 AM

I've been busy, so I may be in and out during the month, but I'm in for Round 1. :)

Joe Cocker - Edge Of A Dream

Chypmunk 09-26-20 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by pahaK (Post 2127325)
There's a song I've wanted to nominate multiple times but it's annoyingly 10:11 long so it barely fails the rules check :D
Ok, next one I do will have a special eleven minute time limit as a one-off. You may well have to remind me though ;)

HollowMan 09-28-20 06:29 PM

I'm in. Round 1 nomination:

Fleetwood Mac - The Chain.

https://youtu.be/xwTPvcPYaOo

Yoda 09-28-20 09:10 PM

Sorry for the delay! Yeah, I think I can manage, if someone can give me a capsule summary of how this works/what's required of me and all that.

gbgoodies 09-28-20 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2127891)
Sorry for the delay! Yeah, I think I can manage, if someone can give me a capsule summary of how this works/what's required of me and all that.

Basically, each person who joins nominates one song per round. (The nominated song can't be a previous tournament winner, (listed in the first post of this thread), and it can't be longer than 10 minutes.)

When the nominations for the round close, the host (@Chypmunk;) posts all of the nominations.

Everyone who joined listens to all of the nominations, and ranks them in order from their favorite to their least favorite. (We post our lists in the thread.)

While waiting for everyone to vote, anyone who wants to join the next round, posts their nomination for the next round.

Then the host calculates the results and announces the winner of the round.

The host then posts the next round, and we continue with rounds until the end of the month. (You can join as many or as few rounds as you want, but you can only vote in the rounds that you nominate a song, and in the final round if you've nominated a song in any round of the tournament.)

The last round is all of this tournament's rounds winners. We rank these songs, and then the tournament winner is announced.

Then we all wait patiently for the next tournament. :)

Chypmunk 09-29-20 04:47 AM

Thanks gbg!

Yoda 09-29-20 11:04 AM

So, to start, I literally just pick one song, any song, and post it here? No theme or anything, just anything I either like or (probably better) think others might like?

Chypmunk 09-29-20 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2128000)
So, to start, I literally just pick one song, any song, and post it here?
Yep, post it at any point before 9am IST/BST (that's 4am Eastern Time I believe) on 1st October and it'll be entered into Round 1. Preferably in an external link format (like gbg and I have) if you can, if not just imbed the video and I'll format the link (like I do for HM).

No theme or anything, just anything I either like or (probably better) think others might like?
If you want to theme your own songs then feel free to do so (honeykid has done this in the past) but that's entirely optional and there's no overall theme. The only limitation is no song can be over ten minutes in duration.

Yoda 09-29-20 12:02 PM

"Doesn't Matter" - Christine and the Queens

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UCwD5f1APTY

Captain Spaulding 09-29-20 06:05 PM

Round 1 nom:
Girlschool - Race with the Devil

And tagging past participants who might be interested in playing but just haven't seen the thread: @jiraffejustin; @cat_sidhe; @honeykid; @Derek Vinyard; @Sedai; @John-Connor; @resopamenic; @CaptainT; @HashtagBrownies; @ynwtf; @Nostromo87; @edarsenal; @ahwell

ynwtf 09-29-20 06:25 PM

October 1, eh? So I get another work day to waste wondering what of the three songs I've already posted in every tournament that won't win, to post! I may be game again.

RealHero 09-29-20 06:36 PM

ok, let's join for funz and do aesthetics and stuff. Put a needle in Your eardrum fast.

Aseul - Fisher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnY5pnbLJF0
uwu

Derek Vinyard 09-29-20 09:23 PM

I’ll join!!

gbgoodies 09-30-20 01:29 AM

Originally Posted by Chypmunk (Post 2127943)
Thanks gbg!

You're welcome. :)

Chypmunk 09-30-20 07:58 AM

Nominations still accepted for Round 1 for the next 21 hours if anyone else wishes to join in....

resopamenic 09-30-20 08:56 AM

okidoki, count me in

toconoma - relive