Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Which version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind should I Netflix? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=18708)

Yoda 02-17-09 03:03 AM

Which version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind should I Netflix?

I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind when I was a kid, I believe, and don't remember most of it, so naturally I've decided that I should watch it again. I went to Netflix to add it to my queue, but was startled (startled!) to learn that there are apparently three versions to choose from; the theatrical version, the director's cut, and a "special edition."

So, my question to you, MoFos, is simple: which version should I rent, and why?

Loner 02-17-09 03:35 AM

Re: Which version of Close Encounters of the Third Kind should I Netflix?

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 502001)
I saw Close Encounters of the Third Kind when I was a kid, I believe, and don't remember most of it, so naturally I've decided that I should watch it again. I went to Netflix to add it to my queue, but was startled (startled!) to learn that there are apparently three versions to choose from; the theatrical version, the director's cut, and a "special edition."

So, my question to you, MoFos, is simple: which version should I rent, and why?
Close Encounters Of The Third Kind Question

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=18533

Learn to use the search function rookie!

I'm such an ass.

Sorry Yoda, I couldn't help myself.

Harry Lime 02-17-09 03:46 AM

Well Loner, it was nice knowing you here on this forum, but I'm sure Yoda's going to ban you faster then you can say "I regret nothing..."

But seriously Yoda, definitely go with the original, although I'm sort of a purist when it comes to films so that will always be my opinion. Except when it comes to Blade Runner, which I think I also said in the thread that Loner linked in his comment. Heh heh heh.

spudracer 02-17-09 07:44 AM

I'm trying to remember which version I have right now, but I don't feel like going upstairs to look. Almost always, the safe bet will always be the original version. I think in this instance, the "Special Edition" just has extra features.

Yoda 02-17-09 10:07 AM

D'oh! Loner nailed me. I took a chance assuming that a question this specific probably wouldn't have been asked. Gah, three weeks!

Anyway, thanks very much. :) I was leaning towards the original cut and just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a compelling reason to go in another direction.

Sedai 02-17-09 10:51 AM

Even Spielberg regrets changing the film in the later cuts. Stay away!

Loner 02-17-09 05:31 PM

Hey, I'm still here!

Our Yoda is not a vengeful leader.

Yoda 02-17-09 05:44 PM

I'm just smart enough to realize that I need to maintain a facade of fairness. Much better to slowly and subtly replace some of the words in your posts with a series of increasingly offensive ethnic slurs until the rest of the community drives you away for me.

Now how do I tell them I have no inner monologue?

MovieMan8877445 02-17-09 05:47 PM

Yeah, I'd go with what Mark said I should watch a couple of weeks ago, which was the original cut, I watched that version once my DVD came in and I loved it.

bigscreenbytes 06-03-10 10:30 PM

Definitely the original Close Encounters version unless you are interested in extras. Really hate it when directors go back and change the original film or add to it in some way. Anniversary versions may be the exception for me. I'm not a fan of black and white films being colorized either.

7thson 06-04-10 01:32 AM

The original my friend - :yup:, and make mashed potatoes to have handy when you watch it.

rauldc14 10-22-12 09:31 PM

Goofy film, in my opinion. Just watched it and I don't get the hype surrounding the film. Don't add anything positive to Spielberg's filmography in my opinion.

Harry Lime 10-22-12 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 852273)
Don't add anything positive to Spielberg's filmography in my opinion.
It don't?