Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Thunderbolt's 2021 Movie Diary (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63016)

Thunderbolt 04-09-21 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2193965)
That should be on Tubi in a nice transfer.

I like the movie. Good lead actress, well paced and energetically executed.
I love a trashy movie once in a while. My DVD is pretty grainy but it kind of adds to the atmosphere.

Thunderbolt 04-11-21 04:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)

82. Big Momma’s House (2000) TV first watch
Not the type of movie I would usually give the time of day but my daughter was amused. The make up was great but this isn’t a movie I could go back to again. A few funny moments but I preferred The Nutty Professor (1996) which was a very similar idea. I’m sure the sequels would be a complete rehash of the original using the same gags?

Thunderbolt 04-11-21 04:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

83. Cliffhanger (1993)TV rewatch
I remember this movie was quite a big release in its day. Decided to give it another go as it’s been year since I’ve last seen it. Pretty much what you could expect from a Stallone movie. I would have rated this higher on it’s release as this was quite a fresh idea. But for me now it seems to be a bog standard action film.

Thunderbolt 04-14-21 09:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

84. Curse of the Werewolf (1961) DVD rewatch
Hammer Studios did a fine job with this Werewolf entry. Some may be frustrated not seeing the Werewolf until the final 10 mins but it’s all about the internal struggle of the protagonist until the great finale.

Thunderbolt 04-14-21 09:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)

85. Return of the Living Dead (1985) TV rewatch
Haven’t seen this in a while but it’s just as I remembered it. Over the top but good fun.

Thunderbolt 04-17-21 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)

86. Emoji Movie (2017) TV rewatch
I took my daughter to see this at the movies on its release and didn’t really know what to make of it. After a repeated viewing, I still feel the same.

Thunderbolt 04-18-21 04:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)

87. Train to Busan (2016) TV First watch
This movie adds a few fresh ideas to a cliched sub genre where you think there’s no originality left. Once the action kicks in it doesn’t let up. The terror element is spot on and you are certainly left with the feeling of claustrophobia with the setting on a train. Some fine performances and a touching finale make this a worth while view.

Thunderbolt 04-20-21 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

88. The Town that Dreaded Sundown (1976) DVD rewatch
Some may class this as a slasher film but it’s certainly put together more like a true crime detective story. This must have had a major influence on Friday the 13th part 2 with the hooded killer being identical, but it is a step up from a b movie horror.

Thunderbolt 04-22-21 03:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)

89. The Machinist (2004) DVD rewatch
Outstanding performance from Bale who sacrificed so much for this role. The plot is a strange one but stay with it. Everything is explained in the final moments and it’s well worth the wait.

PHOENIX74 04-23-21 04:17 AM

Hey Thunderbolt,

I've been reading through your 2021 movie diary and really enjoying it. Especially when my favourites crop up. You've also provided me with a few titles of note that I need to see! (Out of the Furnace, In Fabric and The Old Dark House are examples.)

The Evil Dead - Coming from back in the days when video stores were novel, I remember this as a pretty hard-core horror film. As the years have gone by I've notice the amazing shots, sound effects and dark humour. This has been a film that I've respected more and more as time has gone by. A true classic - though at the time it was derided as trash. 10/10

American Beauty - "Look Closer" the advertising and poster invited us to do. No need in my case. I was rivetted from the very first viewing - and spent every second contemplating it's meaning. 10/10

3:10 to Yuma - Wrestles with High Noon as the best Western ever made in my opinion. Superb performances from a magnetic Glenn Ford and downtrodden Van Heflin. With the original this good, I'm never going to watch the remake. 10/10

No Country For Old Men - I don't really need to say much here. And in any event, who hasn't seen this masterpiece? 10/10

Groundhog Day - Saw this at the cinema back in 1993. Fantastic comedy. I love time travel/displacement themes. Without Bill Murray this would have been just an average Hollywood comedic offering. The power of the movie rests squarely on his shoulders. 9/10

Casablanca - I was going to say that this is my favourite Bogart film, but then I think of The Maltese Falcon and African Queen. I think maybe with Bogart films it's impossible to have a favourite. 10/10

Rosemary's Baby - If John Cassavetes had of directed this film I fear it would have gone for 220 minutes and starred Gena Rowlands. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Psychological horror at it's best. 9/10

The Gift - I recommend this film to all and sundry. Pretty darned good thriller that went pretty much unnoticed. Keep a look out for Joel Edgerton's films. 2018's Boy Erased is pretty good too. 8/10

Unforgiven - It's been too long since I sat down and watched this film uninterrupted. 9/10

The Big Lebowski - I agree wholeheartedly with what you said in your excellent review. A review which has made me want to rewatch this glorious picture and, as you say, notice something new yet again. 10/10

Thunderbolt 04-23-21 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2197610)
Hey Thunderbolt,

I've been reading through your 2021 movie diary and really enjoying it. Especially when my favourites crop up. You've also provided me with a few titles of note that I need to see! (Out of the Furnace, In Fabric and The Old Dark House are examples.)

The Evil Dead - Coming from back in the days when video stores were novel, I remember this as a pretty hard-core horror film. As the years have gone by I've notice the amazing shots, sound effects and dark humour. This has been a film that I've respected more and more as time has gone by. A true classic - though at the time it was derided as trash. 10/10

American Beauty - "Look Closer" the advertising and poster invited us to do. No need in my case. I was rivetted from the very first viewing - and spent every second contemplating it's meaning. 10/10

3:10 to Yuma - Wrestles with High Noon as the best Western ever made in my opinion. Superb performances from a magnetic Glenn Ford and downtrodden Van Heflin. With the original this good, I'm never going to watch the remake. 10/10

No Country For Old Men - I don't really need to say much here. And in any event, who hasn't seen this masterpiece? 10/10

Groundhog Day - Saw this at the cinema back in 1993. Fantastic comedy. I love time travel/displacement themes. Without Bill Murray this would have been just an average Hollywood comedic offering. The power of the movie rests squarely on his shoulders. 9/10

Casablanca - I was going to say that this is my favourite Bogart film, but then I think of The Maltese Falcon and African Queen. I think maybe with Bogart films it's impossible to have a favourite. 10/10

Rosemary's Baby - If John Cassavetes had of directed this film I fear it would have gone for 220 minutes and starred Gena Rowlands. Not that there's anything wrong with that. Psychological horror at it's best. 9/10

The Gift - I recommend this film to all and sundry. Pretty darned good thriller that went pretty much unnoticed. Keep a look out for Joel Edgerton's films. 2018's Boy Erased is pretty good too. 8/10

Unforgiven - It's been too long since I sat down and watched this film uninterrupted. 9/10

The Big Lebowski - I agree wholeheartedly with what you said in your excellent review. A review which has made me want to rewatch this glorious picture and, as you say, notice something new yet again. 10/10
Thanks so much for taking the time to look through my reviews. Similar to myself you sound like someone who appreciates many film genres. I hope you continue to keep up to date with my thread and post your thoughts. I’m hoping to hit the 200 view mark by the end of the year.
You may even strongly disagree with some of my thoughts but I welcome all comments. That’s the great thing about movies, we all see things from different angles and come to our own conclusions. Also, welcome to Movie Forum.

Thunderbolt 04-23-21 05:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)

90. The Initiation (1984) DVD rewatch
Another piece of slice and dice from the 80s. The first half is more of a psychological thriller but it then turns into a fairly standard slasher movie with the usual cliches and a twist finale. Pretty cheesy stuff but any slasher fan will be in their element.

Wooley 04-23-21 06:12 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2197776)

90. The Initiation (1984) DVD rewatch
Another piece of slice and dice from the 80s. The first half is more of a psychological thriller but it then turns into a fairly standard slasher movie with the usual cliches and a twist finale. Pretty cheesy stuff but any slasher fan will be in their element.
I've been thinking about watching this, it's in my Amazon queue. Might pick it up when I get back home to New Orleans.

Thunderbolt 04-25-21 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

91. Friday the 13th (1980) DVD rewatch
The only Friday film to have a different killer, and thanks to the skills of Tom Savini some of the best kills are featured here in the original.
Who is killing the teens at soon to be opened Camp Crystal Lake? It sure as hell isn’t Jason.....yet. Some will say it doesn’t get any better than this but any of the Paramount films get my thumbs up. I would rate this a good standard horror but will give it an extra mark for old school effects.

PHOENIX74 04-27-21 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2198264)
The only Friday film to have a different killer, and thanks to the skills of Tom Savini some of the best kills are featured here in the original.
Don't Forget Friday the 13th Part V : A New Beginning, which Jason sat out. Wasn't really a new beginning, but then again, Part IV wasn't really the final chapter and the 9th film wasn't the final Friday either.

Thunderbolt 04-27-21 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2198788)
Don't Forget Friday the 13th Part V : A New Beginning, which Jason sat out. Wasn't really a new beginning, but then again, Part IV wasn't really the final chapter and the 9th film wasn't the final Friday either.
This is very true about part V, how could I forget. I do have mixed feelings about the copycat killer and can’t decide if it’s a great twist or a total cop out. I do however enjoy the film as a whole and it allows for the Tommy Jarvis story to continue.

Thunderbolt 04-27-21 12:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

92. The Last Picture Show (1971) DVD rewatch
Teens and adults alike struggle to get through everyday life in a 1950s Texan town. The residents are desperately trying to break away from the town but with so many stuck in a rut, affairs and controversial goings on are the only means of passing the time.
This is by no means a feel good movie but superbly acted by the young cast and a Jeff Bridges high point. Controversial on its time of release, this still raises a few eyebrows today.

Thunderbolt 04-28-21 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)

93. What Lies Beneath (2000) DVD rewatch
Unlike many modern horror films this focusses more on atmosphere than gore. A well acted horror/mystery starring two of our modern day best. Ford and Pfeiffer are well cast and have great on screen chemistry. Considering Pfeiffer’s fear of water, this must’ve been a tough role.

Thunderbolt 04-30-21 03:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

94. Ferdinand (2017) TV rewatch
Family viewing time again and this was my daughters choice for tonight. As far as children’s movies go this had a pretty touching plot with few amusing moments.

Thunderbolt 04-30-21 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)

95. She Wolf of London (1946) DVD rewatch
This is branded as a Universal monster film but this is actually quite misleading. In no way connected to the Wolf man cycle, this is more of a mystery disguised as something else. A few atmospheric moments but perhaps slightly desperate on trying to cash in on the success of another film.

Thunderbolt 04-30-21 04:20 PM

95 Movies Watched

105 Remaining

Another fairly slow month of viewing as everyday life takes over my love of movie watching. Still well on target to hit 200 views and almost at the halfway point.

Wooley 05-02-21 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2195221)

84. Curse of the Werewolf (1961) DVD rewatch
Hammer Studios did a fine job with this Werewolf entry. Some may be frustrated not seeing the Werewolf until the final 10 mins but it’s all about the internal struggle of the protagonist until the great finale.
Yeah, this is one of the few really good Werewolf Movies.
As you say, dwelling even more than The Wolf Man on the struggle someone afflicted with werewolfery pays off for this film.

Wooley 05-02-21 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2195222)

85. Return of the Living Dead (1985) TV rewatch
Haven’t seen this in a while but it’s just as I remembered it. Over the top but good fun.
One of my all-time favorite films.

Wooley 05-02-21 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2200123)

95. She Wolf of London (1946) DVD rewatch
This is branded as a Universal monster film but this is actually quite misleading. In no way connected to the Wolf man cycle, this is more of a mystery disguised as something else. A few atmospheric moments but perhaps slightly desperate on trying to cash in on the success of another film.
I am a huge fan of this one. I didn't have any issues with the film I thought it played perfectly for what it was.

Thunderbolt 05-03-21 01:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)

96. Commando (1985) DVD rewatch
Early over the top Schwarzenegger action movie sees him on a race against the clock to find his kidnapped daughter. I’m not a major action movie fan but I will gladly watch anything that Arnie stars in from the 80s/early 90s. This is certainly a guilty pleasure film with so many editing errors, but this adds to the charm of the over the top ridiculousness. Packed full of cheesy one liners, this is entertaining stuff which I can lose myself in again and again.

xSookieStackhouse 05-03-21 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2200746)

96. Commando (1985) DVD rewatch
Early over the top Schwarzenegger action movie sees him on a race against the clock to find his kidnapped daughter. I’m not a major action movie fan but I will gladly watch anything that Arnie stars in from the 80s/early 90s. This is certainly a guilty pleasure film with so many editing errors, but this adds to the charm of the over the top ridiculousness. Packed full of cheesy one liners, this is entertaining stuff which I can lose myself in again and again.
gosh been long time i seen this movie :love:

Thunderbolt 05-04-21 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

97. The Legacy (1979) TV first watch (and only)
Pure crap. Enough said.

Thunderbolt 05-05-21 03:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)

98. Winchester ’73 (1950) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
After recently reviewing this from a TV watch, I enjoyed the movie enough to buy it on DVD. My second viewing has not disappointed with a great performance from James Stewart.

Thunderbolt 05-05-21 04:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)

99. Burial ground (1981) DVD rewatch
After a professor uncovers an ancient burial ground on a couples property, the dead rise and attack them and their guests.
This euro horror probably has the worst looking zombies brought to screen. The acting is bottom of the barrel too but it does have an entertaining quality to it. Zombies attack with garden tools and scale walls to break into the mansion which I’ll give it it’s dues, I have never seen before. If you love B movies then this may be right up your street. Pretty bad but enjoyable. It also has the freakiest looking child character I have ever seen before.

Introducing Michael!

gbgoodies 05-06-21 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2201403)

98. Winchester ’73 (1950) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
After recently reviewing this from a TV watch, I enjoyed the movie enough to buy it on DVD. My second viewing has not disappointed with a great performance from James Stewart.

I'm not a big fan of westerns, but Winchester ’73 made my Top 25 Western Movies list.

Thunderbolt 05-06-21 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

100. Best Laid Plans (1999) DVD rewatch
I wanted to make my 100th view a special one and this is definitely in my top 10 of all time. I saw this on it’s release and have seen it countless times since. A great neo noir with a razor sharp intelligent script. There’s plenty of slick camera work and a plot with so many twists and turns it’s hard to see what’s coming next.
I really felt for the lead character and his determination to get out of the town he has lived his whole life. But things are never simple as Nick (Alessandro Nivola) finds out. With his promised inheritance falling flat on it’s face, his friends from the past and present start to show their true colours. Where there is money there is also greed, deceit and spite.

Thunderbolt 05-06-21 04:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)

100 movies watched!

100 movies remaining!

Thunderbolt 05-07-21 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)

101. Rio Bravo (1959) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
Watched this a few months ago and purchased it recently so I have given this a repeated view. Getting into quite a few John Wayne movies this year.

Thunderbolt 05-07-21 03:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)

102. In Fabric (2018) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
Another rewatch from another DVD purchase. Beyond weird but great.

Thunderbolt 05-07-21 05:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)

103. Smallfoot (2018) DVD rewatch
Another family movie night and this was one of the more enjoyable animated efforts I’ve seen in a while.

PHOENIX74 05-08-21 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2201932)

100. Best Laid Plans (1999) DVD rewatch
I wanted to make my 100th view a special one and this is definitely in my top 10 of all time. I saw this on it’s release and have seen it countless times since. A great neo noir with a razor sharp intelligent script. There’s plenty of slick camera work and a plot with so many twists and turns it’s hard to see what’s coming next.
I really felt for the lead character and his determination to get out of the town he has lived his whole life. But things are never simple as Nick (Alessandro Nivola) finds out. With his promised inheritance falling flat on it’s face, his friends from the past and present start to show their true colours. Where there is money there is also greed, deceit and spite.
Saw this for the first time only a few months ago. Half a dozen plot twists and turns I really didn't see coming. I thought it was inventive and really good - Josh Brolin was fantastic in it.

gbgoodies 05-09-21 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2202197)

103. Smallfoot (2018) DVD rewatch
Another family movie night and this was one of the more enjoyable animated efforts I’ve seen in a while.

I watched Smallfoot recently and I thought it was a cute movie. It was much better than I expected it to be.

Thunderbolt 05-11-21 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)

104. Rosemary’s Baby (1968) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
Another watch after a DVD purchase. Enjoyed it just as much as previous view.

Thunderbolt 05-12-21 07:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)

105. Behemoth the Sea Monster (1959) DVD rewatch
British atomic era B movie. Would have been nice for a little more of the stop motion effects but this was pretty enjoyable.

Thunderbolt 05-12-21 10:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

106. The Sons of Katie Elder (1965) DVD rewatch
Saw this many years ago but couldn’t remember anything of it. All the action takes place in the last 30 mins but it’s well worth the wait.

Thunderbolt 05-14-21 03:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

107. Godzilla (1954) DVD rewatch
This original movie has a very moody atmosphere and a plot a little too deep for young children. I have never seen a monster movie with such a stark warning about man creating his own scientific monster. Powerful stuff with groundbreaking effects for its time.

Thunderbolt 05-16-21 03:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)

108. The Karate Kid (1984) TV rewatch
After my daughter insisted on watching this again for family movie night, it didn’t take much persuading for me to watch it again.

Thunderbolt 05-16-21 03:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)

109. Shadow of a Doubt (1943) DVD rewatch
After Uncle Charlie returns to see his family, his niece becomes increasingly paranoid that he is the “merry widow murderer.”
Not a Hitchcock movie that you hear too much about but it’s full of obscure camera angle and the usual Hitchcock cliches. An intriguing effort where tension slowly builds for a quick but epic finale.

Thunderbolt 05-18-21 03:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)

110. Ring (Ringu 1998) DVD rewatch Japanese subtitled
This is the movie responsible for the onslaught of J horror in the late 90s. I’ll be honest to say that the hype of this movie made me watch nothing but Asian horror for months on end until I just got sick of the genre as a whole. With a low budget, great atmosphere and killer ending, this is all you need. But as usual the success of a film means dragging it through the mud with the overkill of sequels, prequels and whatever else. This film alone for a brief period made horror interesting again.

Thunderbolt 05-19-21 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)

111. Crazy Heart (2009) DVD rewatch
Stellar performance from Bridges, one of the finest actors of our time. Funny, touching, sometimes moody but never a dull moment. A great story of how someone can pull themselves from the gutter to appreciate what they have again.

Thunderbolt 05-19-21 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

112. The Big Steal (1949) DVD rewatch
Short, fast paced Noir with a few twists and turns. Not as serious as most Noir films but enjoyable with the sharp tongued script. The only thing I disliked was this colourised version which looked over saturated so I changed the TV to black and white.

Wyldesyde19 05-19-21 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2204573)

109. Shadow of a Doubt (1943) DVD rewatch
After Uncle Charlie returns to see his family, his niece becomes increasingly paranoid that he is the “merry widow murderer.”
Not a Hitchcock movie that you hear too much about but it’s full of obscure camera angle and the usual Hitchcock cliches. An intriguing effort where tension slowly builds for a quick but epic finale.
Very underrated Hitchcock film. Been awhile since I’ve seen it, and by awhile I mean over 10 years ago, so I’m interested in how it’ll hold up on a rewatch.

Thunderbolt 05-20-21 02:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

113. Go (1999) DVD rewatch
One of my favourite movies of the 90s. When a girl is threatened with eviction at Christmas time, her and her friends dive headfirst into a drug deal with disastrous consequences.
The structure of the plot is incredibly clever showing the intertwined story from 3 different perspectives. With a fast paced plot and buckets of dark humour, this is highly entertaining. I saw this back in 1999 when it was released in cinemas and have watched it countless times since. Each view is just as enjoyable as the first.

Thunderbolt 05-21-21 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)

114. Wonder Park (2019) TV rewatch
Another family movie night and my Daughter chose this from 2019. Our second view as we watch this together at the cinema. An OK fantasy adventure for children and adults. The Chimpanzombies were fairly amusing.

Thunderbolt 05-23-21 02:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)

115. Saboteur (1942) DVD rewatch
With the recurring theme of “the wrong man accused” this has moments of greatness which we would usually associate with Hitchcock. Good tension and an epic finale.

Thunderbolt 05-25-21 05:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)

116. The Ring (2002) TV rewatch
After recently watching the original I decided to give the American remake another look. I originally saw this at the cinema when the J Horror buzz hit the big screen. As far as remakes go this was a good effort. There are quite a few differences between this version and the original Japanese version. I do feel however that sometimes less is more and the plot should have left a bit of mystery to the girl rather than explain every detail. But the moody look and atmosphere of the remake was spot on.

Thunderbolt 05-28-21 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)

117. The Grudge (2004) DVD rewatch
After watching The Ring I was hyped to watch this again. Another fairly good American remake which is still pretty effective today.

Thunderbolt 05-28-21 02:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)

118. The Grudge 2 (2006) Stream rewatch
An OK sequel which strays away from the Japanese sequel and takes its own path. This felt the need to explain much more detail of Kayako and her back story. Some eerie effective scenes and although I’ve rated this a 3, it’s not quite up there with the original.

Thunderbolt 05-29-21 01:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

119. Ju-On Grudge 2 (2003) Stream rewatch
By far creepier than the American version, this follows a group of cursed film makers and actors who use the original house as a set for their own movie. The lack of CGI is much more effective here than in the American sequel.

xSookieStackhouse 05-29-21 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2205797)

113. Go (1999) DVD rewatch
One of my favourite movies of the 90s. When a girl is threatened with eviction at Christmas time, her and her friends dive headfirst into a drug deal with disastrous consequences.
The structure of the plot is incredibly clever showing the intertwined story from 3 different perspectives. With a fast paced plot and buckets of dark humour, this is highly entertaining. I saw this back in 1999 when it was released in cinemas and have watched it countless times since. Each view is just as enjoyable as the first.
LOVE THAT MOVIE <3

Thunderbolt 05-31-21 04:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)

120. 3:10 to Yuma (1957) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
After purchasing this I watched it again immediately. This is certainly a tension builder until the final few moments but it doesn’t disappoint.

Thunderbolt 05-31-21 04:57 PM

120 Movies Watched

80 Remaining

A productive month for movie watching. I saw myself getting back into a few Asian horrors (first revisit after getting obsessed a good few years back) but another month of mixed genres. Also enjoyed a few Hitchcock movies. I may try to increase this for June.

Thunderbolt 06-02-21 04:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

121. Finding Dory (2016) DVD first watch
My daughter picked this one for tonight. Great animation but very reminiscent of the original.

Thunderbolt 06-02-21 04:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)

122. Rope (1948) DVD rewatch
Two college friends convinced that murder is an art form kill a friend to see if they can get away with it. Quite a bizarre Hitchcock movie adapted from a stage play. The film cleverly looks like one long take with only a few well disguised cuts between scenes. Intriguing and well acted but not Hitchcock’s best.

xSookieStackhouse 06-02-21 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2209282)

121. Finding Dory (2016) DVD first watch
My daughter picked this one for tonight. Great animation but very reminiscent of the original.
awhh thats so cute :) thats one of my favorite animated pixar movies :)

Thunderbolt 06-02-21 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)

123. Madagascar 2 (2008) DVD first watch
School holidays brings another family animation. Not a bad effort for a sequel and keeping things fresh with a different setting.

PHOENIX74 06-03-21 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2208809)

120. 3:10 to Yuma (1957) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
After purchasing this I watched it again immediately. This is certainly a tension builder until the final few moments but it doesn’t disappoint.
One of my favourite Westerns. Would definitely be in my top 10.

Thunderbolt 06-04-21 05:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)

124. The Birds (1963) DVD rewatch
Fantastic movie from the master of suspense. There is no score in the entire film with only the story and acting to build tension. For me this beats Psycho and I love the fact that there are no answers given for the bird attacks. A film well ahead of its time which still strikes a chord today.

Thunderbolt 06-05-21 04:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)

125. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) DVD rewatch
One of Hitchcock’s British years pictures. It may be from his early years but this is still pretty gripping. The remake is better known but this version shouldn’t be ignored.Peter Lorre is excellent as the gang leader but the whole cast are on form. Hitchcock is still clearly experimenting with his camera angles but it has many classic moments that you would expect from one of his features.

gbgoodies 06-06-21 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2210078)

124. The Birds (1963) DVD rewatch
Fantastic movie from the master of suspense. There is no score in the entire film with only the story and acting to build tension. For me this beats Psycho and I love the fact that there are no answers given for the bird attacks. A film well ahead of its time which still strikes a chord today.

The Birds is a little too close to a horror movie for me, but it's still a great movie. I prefer Hitchcock's suspense movies.

Thunderbolt 06-06-21 04:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

126. Angels and Demons (2009) DVD rewatch
Not quite as good as the novel but still translates well to film. A more straight forward story than The Da Vinci Code.

Thunderbolt 06-06-21 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

127. Black Swan (2010) DVD rewatch
On its time of release this was a very different movie and I can’t fault the outstanding performances. However, a decade down the line this repeated watch didn’t have the same effect on me as it did the first couple of views.

Thunderbolt 06-08-21 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)

128. John Carpenter’s Vampires (1998) TV rewatch
I’m a big fan of Halloween and The Fog but this latter film was a big disappointment. Although it had a much bigger budget, it felt like it had a real TV quality to it. A fairly uninspiring movie.

Thunderbolt 06-09-21 06:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

129. The Untouchables (1987) DVD rewatch
“Never stop fighting till the fight is done”
Elliot Ness (Kevin Costner) has to learn the unorthodox ways of police work in order to get Al Capone (Robert de Niro) behind bars.
Fantastic film from the 80s which is pure class filmmaking. An emotional plot and outstanding performances throughout make this my favourite gangster flick of all time. I was luck enough to visit some of these film locations a few years back when we visited Chicago from the UK. An amazing city.

Thunderbolt 06-09-21 10:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)

130. L.A. Confidential (1997) DVD rewatch
Great Neo Noir drama about police corruption. It may take multiple views to digest the complex plot but this is certainly well written. Nominated for best picture and with Kim Basinger winning best supporting actress, this is a solid crime movie which keeps you guessing until the finale.

Thunderbolt 06-11-21 03:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)

131. Enter the Dragon (1973) DVD rewatch
Masterful martial arts adventure. I’m not a big martial arts film fan but I always have time for Bruce Lee. I cannot believe that this movie is nearly 50 years old. Highly entertaining throughout and with a dramatic finale, this is my all time favourite martial arts picture. Very unique for its time, this film brought Bruce Lee and martial arts to the western masses.

Thunderbolt 06-13-21 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)

132. Amityville 3D (1983) Youtube rewatch
Bad acting, lame effects and laughable plot actually make this quite amusing to watch. But it’s no surprise on quality as this was the guy who brought us Red Sonja. The demon is beyond ridiculous in the finale and with 3D effects such as swordfish flying across the room, well, why the hell not. I have lost count how many films are in this series but have only seen the first 3. Needless to say I wouldn’t bother going any further.

Thunderbolt 06-15-21 09:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)

133. Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon (2000) TV rewatch
As visually stunning as this is, I recalled it being better. I struggled through to the end but wasn’t impressed. It didn’t help being a TV dubbed version.

Thunderbolt 06-15-21 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)

134. El Dorado (1966) TV first watch
Another John Wayne/Howard Hawks collaboration. This one focuses more on internal character struggles and a bit less on plot compared to Rio Lobo and Rio Bravo. Some good action sequences and my first time seeing Robert Mitchum in a western.

PHOENIX74 06-16-21 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2212936)
134. El Dorado (1966) TV first watch
Another John Wayne/Howard Hawks collaboration. This one focuses more on internal character struggles and a bit less on plot compared to Rio Lobo and Rio Bravo. Some good action sequences and my first time seeing Robert Mitchum in a western
Robert Mitchum is pretty good opposite Dean Martin in the western 5 Card Stud

Thunderbolt 06-16-21 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by PHOENIX74 (Post 2213016)
Robert Mitchum is pretty good opposite Dean Martin in the western 5 Card Stud
Thanks for the tip. I've seen Mitchum in many noir films and he's always good. Liked Dean Martin in Rio Bravo and Sons of Katie Elder also.

Thunderbolt 06-16-21 09:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)

135. Dirty Harry (1971) DVD rewatch
Harry battles the system of the San Francisco police force in order to get things done. Controversial movie from the 70s which is still effective today. Some great action sequences and a strong performance from Eastwood make this a joy to watch.

Wyldesyde19 06-16-21 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2213039)

135. Dirty Harry (1971) DVD rewatch
Harry battles the system of the San Francisco police force in order to get things done. Controversial movie from the 70s which is still effective today. Some great action sequences and a strong performance from Eastwood make this a joy to watch.
Great movie. Also had a decent score.

Thunderbolt 06-16-21 04:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

136. Magnum Force (1973) DVD rewatch
Cracking sequel to Dirty Harry with Eastwood again pushing the boundaries to get justice. The plot isn’t as deep as the original Harry movie but I have always preferred the Magnum Force story.

Thunderbolt 06-18-21 10:53 AM

1 Attachment(s)

137. The Enforcer (1976) DVD rewatch
This lacked the grittiness of the first two films and slides into a generic police thriller. It’s still enjoyable to watch but this is certainly not in the same class as the previous films.

Thunderbolt 06-18-21 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)

138. Sudden impact (1983) DVD rewatch
The Harry films enter the 80s with this one directed by the man himself. This is a vast improvement on the last film with a deep storyline of revenge. This was better than I remembered and in no way looks dated considering it’s almost 40 years old.

Thunderbolt 06-20-21 03:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

139. The Next Karate Kid (1994) TV rewatch
What were they thinking?

Thunderbolt 06-21-21 06:41 PM

2 Attachment(s)

140. The Dead Pool (1988) DVD rewatch
If it wasn’t for Eastwood I probably would have no interest in this finale to the series. The shortest of all of the Harry movies, there is just no style to the direction and the plot is pretty desperate. Jim Carrey as a drug fuelled rockstar has to been seen to be believed. The quality has taken a real nosedive.

PHOENIX74 06-22-21 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by Thunderbolt (Post 2214372)

140. The Dead Pool (1988) DVD rewatch
If it wasn’t for Eastwood I probably would have no interest in this finale to the series. The shortest of all of the Harry movies, there is just no style to the direction and the plot is pretty desperate. Jim Carrey as a drug fuelled rockstar has to been seen to be believed. The quality has taken a real nosedive.

I remember being hyped and excited to see The Dead Pool at the cinema. For one, I was pretty young and having the chance to see a Dirty Harry movie on the big screen on it's release was exciting. Second thing, mixing up Guns N Roses' 'Welcome to the Jungle' with the film made it seem more edgy and cool. Made for a great trailer :

https://youtu.be/n41u5nOsuBM

I tend to catch this movie on television from time to time. Not a really great one. High production values, as you'd expect, but a script that would feel more at ease as a Movie of the Week on television at lunch time. Still, it feels strange that I sat there watching Liam Neeson and Jim Carey on the big screen when they were nobodies, and had no idea these two actors would one day be nearly as big as Eastwood himself. A fond memory, but a film the Dirty Harry series could have done without.

Thunderbolt 06-23-21 08:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

141. The Amityville Horror (1979) DVD rewatch
The best of the series but I wouldn’t class it as a classic. Making the movie half an hour shorter would help things flow better. Having said that there are some good moments of tension and the acting is pretty decent.

Thunderbolt 06-23-21 02:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)

142. Mad Max (1979) TV first watch
I love a cult movie but this did absolutely nothing for me. Needless to say I won’t be catching up on any sequels. Possibly my worst movie of the year so far. Sorry Max fans.

Thunderbolt 06-24-21 04:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)

143. The Big Short (2015) TV first watch
OK film about the 2008 financial crisis. The main gist of the plot is pretty easy to understand but you could easily be on meltdown trying to understand all of the financial jargon.

Thunderbolt 06-26-21 07:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)

144. Tom and Jerry The Movie (2021) DVD first watch
A fairly entertaining kids movie with the usual antics you would expect from Tom and Jerry. Due to covid it has already been released on DVD and Pay per view here in the UK at the same time as its limited theatrical release. As my daughter has purchased this on DVD, I’m sure it will be the first of many views. I thought it was OK. She loved it.

Thunderbolt 06-26-21 07:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)

145. Commando (1985) New DVD purchase (theatrical cut)
After only watching this recently I became increasingly frustrated with my edited 20th Century Fox version from 2003. Bad audio syncing and missing scenes spoilt this every viewing and I wished for my old VHS version. After being resubmitted to the BBFC in 2007 it was finally reissued as it should have been in the first place and I have finally track it down. Great to watch a cheesy 80s action movie just as I remembered it.

Thunderbolt 06-29-21 10:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)

146. Rio Lobo (1970) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
After seeing this on TV in February, I decided to get my hands on the DVD. I think this is probably my favourite Howard Hawks/John Wayne collaboration.

Thunderbolt 06-30-21 09:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)

147. Red Sonja (1985) DVD rewatch
Sword and sorcery movie from the 80s. Arnold Schwarzenegger has cited this as his worst film and it’s easy to see why. Most of the acting from himself and Brigitte Nielsen is pretty cringe worthy. The film slightly redeems itself for set design and score but as a whole this amuses for the wrong reasons. All being said I still have to rate this 3 popcorns as it sits in the “so bad it’s entertaining “ category.

Thunderbolt 06-30-21 05:21 PM

147 Watched

53 Remaining

Another mixed genre month and almost down to the last 50. Had a few repeated watches from other months due to DVD purchases but it all counts.

Thunderbolt 07-01-21 05:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)

148. Conan the Barbarian (1982) Streaming rewatch
Some inventive action sequences in this movie from the 80s which has dated quite well. This may well be the movie that brought Arnie to the masses. We have the usual humour which is alway a theme in his films, but things sometimes get quite deep. Most of all I love the old school effects which beat modern CGI hands down. This was a must rewatch after viewing Red Sonja.

Thunderbolt 07-02-21 02:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)

149. Total Recall (1990) DVD rewatch
Forget trying to analyse if this is a dream or reality, you may change your opinion each view. This is one of Schwarzenegger’s best efforts. Some great action, effects and a good supporting cast all add up to a well scripted Sci fi. I’ve never seen the remake and never thought that this movie would benefit from one. It’s great as it is.

Thunderbolt 07-05-21 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

150. Payback (1999) DVD rewatch
Good neo-noir movie with some great twists and turns. I like the old style noir narration and bleak look of the overall film. The picture has a bleached quality which adds to the moody atmosphere. One of the best roles which I’ve have seen Mel Gibson star in.

Thunderbolt 07-06-21 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)

151. Legend of the 7 Golden Vampires (1974) DVD rewatch
With Hammer Studios trying to keep things fresh and up to date (as Enter the Dragon has taken the big screen by storm) they make this bizarre effort. Peter Cushing as usual makes the movie worth watching and although it’s ridiculous, it is good fun. The plot struggles sometimes to make a story but it’s well worth catching up with if you want some cheesy fun.
Possibly the weakest in the Hammer Vampire series but I’ll give it points for trying to be original.

Thunderbolt 07-07-21 04:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)

152. The Thing From Another World (1951) DVD rewatch
A crew based in the Arctic fight off a monster who has arrived from space. There is a good use of claustrophobic atmosphere and some well created effects for the period. I would have liked to see the monster appear a bit more throughout but as with many sci fi movies from the 50s, they make you wait for the big shock reveal.

Thunderbolt 07-13-21 07:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)

153. Singles (1992) DVD rewatch
Twentysomethings in 90s Seattle give relationship advice to each other whilst having problems of their own. The soundtrack to this movie is actually the best reason to sit down and watch this. Is this a true reflection of Seattle in the early 90s? Probably not but with Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Chris Cornell solo acoustic, Hendrix, Smashing Pumpkins, Screaming Trees and many more great bands on the soundtrack, this makes it well worth sitting through. The movie itself is quite a strangely put together comedy but it’s more than watchable.
for the soundtrack,
for the movie.

Thunderbolt 07-18-21 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)

154. American Heart (1992) DVD rewatch (new purchase)
Fantastic acting from Bridges and Furlong in the Father/Son roles make this a very powerful indie film. Bridges is released from prison and has been tracked down by his Son who is desperate to be part of his Father’s life. After many lies and constantly close to being dumped, he starts to pick up his Father’s bad habits.
Bridges is as ever the star of the show but it’s the fine acting from the entire cast which makes this so good. The touching finale is the icing on the cake.
I’m so glad to have tracked down this European version on DVD as it’s never been available in the UK.

Thunderbolt 07-21-21 07:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)

155. Conan The Destroyer (1984) DVD rewatch
This film takes a more comical stance where the previous instalment was certainly more serious. The monsters are also very B movie but this is coming from Richard Fleischer who directed Red Sonja and Amityville 3D. The action although very cheesy is pretty enjoyable and the sets are well designed. Fans of the original should check this out but may be surprised by its non serious manner. Having said that, any 80s Schwarzenegger movie is worth a look.