Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=62780)

Wyldesyde19 04-22-22 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2297277)
So, I hope you all join me this coming Monday for my basement dwelling review of Out of Africa.
Stay tuned!
Good lord, man! Step away from that Oscar bait! There is no reason to do this to yourself! You have so much to live for yet!

crumbsroom 04-22-22 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2297286)
Good lord, man! Step away from that Oscar bait! There is no reason to do this to yourself! You have so much to live for yet!

But Oscar bait is the last thing I have left to safely torture myself with.

*sobs*

crumbsroom 04-22-22 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2297279)
Take care, crumb. I will take up the trash movie viewing mantle in your place.

*hands bag of kitchen trash over to Rock before falling into open grave*

crumbsroom 04-22-22 11:22 PM

Re: Watching Movies Alone with crumbsroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmjnQjRvPUQ

Rockatansky 04-22-22 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2297327)
*hands bag of kitchen trash over to Rock before falling into open grave*
*rummages bag for half eaten eclair*

crumbsroom 04-22-22 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2297329)
*rummages bag for half eaten eclair*

*realizes plan to exterminate Rock beyond the grave is going exactly as planned*

crumbsroom 04-22-22 11:47 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4LpCw9C85M

Rockatansky 04-22-22 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2297335)
*realizes plan to exterminate Rock beyond the grave is going exactly as planned*

*chokes down poisoned eclair*

*keeps rummaging*

crumbsroom 04-22-22 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2297340)
*chokes down poisoned eclair*

*keeps rummaging*

*rises from grave*

*shakes head*

Rockatansky 04-22-22 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2297342)
*rises from grave*

*shakes head*
*starts rummaging through grave*

crumbsroom 04-23-22 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by Rockatansky (Post 2297345)
*starts rummaging through grave*

*mortal remains realize they will be no match for such fierce rummaging*

*slowly devoured*

StuSmallz 04-23-22 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2297277)
It comes with great regret that it is likely after this weekend, this thread is going to be profoundly changed. At least for a little bit.

My doctor (yes, I have a doctor, yes they pay house visits to cardboard boxes) has informed me if I don't alter my "bad" lifestyle, they will take no blame for me suddenly dropping dead. And since this thread is intrinsically entwined with my beloved self destruction, I may have to take a break from my self destructive movie taste as well (after this weekend)

So, I hope you all join me this coming Monday for my basement dwelling review of Out of Africa.

Stay tuned!
Take care of yourself, crumbs!

Little Ash 04-23-22 02:59 PM

Well, that is unfortunate. The only time watching these type of movies have been bad for my health, and had to stop, was in the period after getting a concussion and becoming photosensitive.

Maybe to paraphrase one of the few lines of dialogue in Ogroff in a gentler, more reasonable way, "might I recommend taking up jogging? I find it makes me feel good and clears the mind."

crumbsroom 04-23-22 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by Little Ash (Post 2297441)
Well, that is unfortunate. The only time watching these type of movies have been bad for my health, and had to stop, was in the period after getting a concussion and becoming photosensitive.

Maybe to paraphrase one of the few lines of dialogue in Ogroff in a gentler, more reasonable way, "might I recommend taking up jogging? I find it makes me feel good and clears the mind."

In order to keep me alert and alive while watching movie after movie of junk, I generally indulged my worst habits to keep myself going. Weird, dumb, bad, transcendent films are intrinsically tied to equally weird, dumb, bad and transcendent decisions in my head. I liked the symbiosis of losing my mind as a film loses the plot.

But now that its been made pretty clear this has begun to have some possibly very bad effects on my future health, I'm just needing the time to recalibrate how I watch movies. It seems Ogroff advice regarding jogging is the kind I need to take. This is mostly a matter of diet and exercise, but alcohol is also certainly still a big factor (even though I've probably already cut that down by more than half the last two years).

Up until now I've been relying on my sturdy Irish alcoholic and deep fried stock to bail me out, and so far its kept me seemingly unaffected by nearly thirty years of libertine tastes. Probably couldn't hurt for me to lost about 15 pounds, but other than this, I thought i was cheating the system and might, in fact, be immortal. Even the doctors I went to see (for my first check up in my life) felt I was surely in tip top health, because there is no seeming outward appearances of anything being seriously wrong. But once they blood work and ecg results came back, they realized my insides were just a skeleton submerged in toxic sludge.

Eventually I'll get back on track with this shit. Maybe sooner than I am expecting. Maybe completely reorganizing your life is easier than it looks. But I just needed to publically put it out there that I need to distance myself from this debauched character I've created for myself, both online and real life.

Takoma11 04-23-22 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2297530)
Eventually I'll get back on track with this shit. Maybe sooner than I am expecting. Maybe completely reorganizing your life is easier than it looks. But I just needed to publically put it out there that I need to distance myself from this debauched character I've created for myself, both online and real life.
I'm glad you're taking care of yourself. And I know what you mean about certain modes of behavior going with each other. I don't drink, but I will eat, like, a "Family Size" of almond M&Ms while I watch a horror or thriller movie.

You can obviously watch trashy movies while eating healthy food, but axe murders and quinoa just ain't the same.

Wooley 04-23-22 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by crumbsroom (Post 2297530)
I genuinely wish you the best, Crumbs.

crumbsroom 04-30-22 02:56 PM

With the first day of my dream job behind me (cleaning the toilets of patients in a psych ward) THIS is the kind of movie one wants to come home to. It almost allows me to feel like I've never left those bathrooms, and am still staring deep into toilet water, jiggling a handle, while medicated eyes bore into the back of my head, wanting me to leave.

Heaven!

No film besides Zulawski's "Possession" quite articulates madness with such violent physicality as this. But here instead of Isabelle Adjani, we have Isabelle Huppert as the woman clawing through the screen to cover you in frothing spittle. It's also maddeningly incomprehensible at times, but I'm mostly okay with that. As pure wild texture, this is a great sometimes over powering film.

crumbsroom 04-30-22 05:26 PM

I've so far like pretty much all of the 'lost movies' that Nicholas Winding Refn has restored on his own streaming channel, but this may be the one I think is the best. And likely my favorite movie I've seen in the last month or two.

Like most things I love, it's a film that seems to be probing all sorts of things at once, in hopes of finding some kind of truth at the end of it all. It hopes we find links between its barrage of ideas and images and jokes and music, but I mostly think it's irrelevant if we ever get there, and instead all we get from it is the experience of seeing a movie that doesn't let it's tiny budget limit its scope. Doesn't let logic keep it from moving forward.

In this case of this movie, which will begin as a story of a mall Santa travelling across the country to find his runaway daughter, all of this will simply be the genesis for a collision of low rent satire, punk rock concert footage, documentary on nuclear fallout and on the street interviews with weird people about the nature of Christmas. The eye of the storm seems to be some kind of assumed Armageddon we are all rushing towards, and even if it all just barely hangs together, this is all the more fitting of its devil may care attitude towards tone and theme.

Ultimately the fun of Emerald Cities can be found in in its effort to make us put together so many ill fitting pieces, and have us not feel we've watched incorrectly if we have to pound the table with our fists to make them stick together. In short, it's simply a nice thing to have a movie inspire such a violent and ecstatic reaction.

Undoubtedly, most people will hate this. But they will all be wrong.

crumbsroom 05-28-22 08:26 PM

I'm very conflicted about this whole idea of kids acting, but I also can't help myself from being very amused by the whole idea of my nephew playing Chucky.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cd-0B..._web_copy_link

Captain Spaulding 06-04-22 12:21 PM

@crumbsroom

I watched Relaxer yesterday, and saw that you had recently rated it and a few other Joel Potrykus films on LB. Curious to hear your thoughts. I'm not sure how I feel about Relaxer quite yet, beyond an overwhelming desire to fumigate my house. Certainly one of the stickiest films I've ever seen.