Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=58912)

ironpony 09-20-19 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by MoreOrLess (Post 2036622)
I'd say the use of very shallow focus is becoming rather overused now. It can obviously be very effective but a lot of the time these days it feels like an excuse to not to anything else that interesting visually.
I agree with this. If a movie shot like Citizen Kane came out nowadays, where you have shots with three people in, it would rack focus from one to the other as they spoke.

ironpony 09-22-19 04:27 AM

Re: CURRENT MOVIE CLICHES

Another one I thought of while watching Once Upon a Time in America, like that movie, a lot of older movies have a cliche where whenever a character has a flashback, he/she would look at candle, and the camera will zoom into the candle, before the flashback.

GulfportDoc 10-07-19 07:54 PM

Seems like for the past year or two every time someone is killed in a movie or series, they always are shown face down with a large pool of blood under their head....... even if they're shot in the back...:D

ironpony 10-07-19 09:13 PM

But doesn't the bullet likely exited out the front, causing the blood to drain out the front?

GulfportDoc 10-08-19 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2039943)
But doesn't the bullet likely exited out the front, causing the blood to drain out the front?
Forget the "shot in the back" part...:D The cliche is showing a person on the floor, dead, with a pool of blood forming. It's become way overused IMO.

~Doc

ironpony 10-08-19 09:43 PM

But if they didn't have any blood around them, wouldn't people just complain it was fake though, since people bleed when shot?

ynwtf 10-12-19 03:36 PM

"We don't have much time."

ironpony 12-06-19 08:13 PM

Another cliche is when characters are framed in a way, in which there is a lot of extra space at the side of the frame, so you know that someone is going to sneak up behind them, way before it happens. Alien (1979) for example.

pahaK 12-06-19 09:00 PM

Villains who leave vulnerable heroes alive for any fiendish reasons (usually in an attempt to make them suffer later).

ironpony 12-07-19 05:14 AM

Or two guys get into an argument in a bar, which they feel they have to fistfight over, just because they are in a bar.

ynwtf 12-08-19 01:31 AM

Someone investigating something and finds a USB stick. They then hold the stick up for a highlight framing, look at it curiously, slide the cover to reveal the USB port, then finally acknowledge it must be a USB stick after all and must have some important information on it. All before a fade out.

As if they've never seen one.

ironpony 12-08-19 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by ynwtf (Post 2051385)
Someone investigating something and finds a USB stick. They then hold the stick up for a highlight framing, look at it curiously, slide the cover to reveal the USB port, then finally acknowledge it must be a USB stick after all and must have some important information on it. All before a fade out.

As if they've never seen one.
What movie has done this?

Gideon58 12-10-19 05:04 PM

I actually thought of one that used to be very popular but you hardly see at all anymore...it used to be whenever a female character took a phone call, she would always remove the earring on the ear that she would put the phone to before actually putting the phone to her ear.

Stirchley 12-11-19 02:24 PM

⬆️ Mary Tyler Moore frequently did this on the MTM Show.

ironpony 01-02-20 12:25 AM

Another is, whenever someone goes to prison in a movie and is new, the other prisoners chear on his/her arrival like a bunch of cheerleaders full of pep, like in The Shawkshank Redemption for example. Where as in real life, they probably wouldn't even care to waist their energy.

Stirchley 01-06-20 01:29 PM

Drives me nuts when an actor starts crying, particularly females, & she keeps rubbing the tears away from her face with her hands. This can go on for several minutes. Anyone heard of tissues? :rolleyes:

Stirchley 01-06-20 01:34 PM

Watching Homeland and Carrie breaks into someone’s ground floor apartment looking for evidence. The apartment is in a very upscale area of D.C., but Carrie easily finds an open window. She climbs in & manages to roam all over the apartment gathering what she needs. She then exits the same way.

Now my house - first, you won’t find an open window. Duh. Second, if you break any window in my house or breach any door my alarm will go off & can be heard two towns away. Five minutes later cops will be swarming all over my house looking for the intruder.

This is real life, but, apparently, not in Carrie’s world. :rolleyes:

ironpony 01-17-20 03:07 AM

In movies based on true stories, almost all of them have short texted epilogue summaries at the end of them for the last couple of decades it seems.

Stirchley 01-17-20 08:24 PM

You see this all the time in American movies & tv shows: people jump out of bed (men & women) & immediately start making pancakes for breakfast. Do people really do this?

ynwtf 01-17-20 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2059221)
You see this all the time in American movies & tv shows: people jump out of bed (men & women) & immediately start making pancakes for breakfast. Do people really do this?
*Did. Did people really do this?

Back in the 80s, every adult American had a portable hot pan on the nightstand next to the bed just for that purpose. You would wake up to an alarm and immediately have available to you a quick and cheap meal that all Americans could have access to. The new wave birth of U.S. consumerism excess.

That's about the time the phrase, "A good breakfast is the most important meal of the day" took hold. There was, then, a huge campaign by the milk industry to sell more product. Teamed with several top brand pancake mix companies of the time, they flooded the airwaves and news papers highlighting the new marketing campaign in order to convince the American public that breakfast was in fact the most important meal of the day. With the popularity and growing reliance on the microwave oven as it increased evening food productivity, the idea was that bedside hotplates would similarly offer an affordable and convenient morning meal compliment. All to be eaten from the bed ("breakfast in bed" sound familiar?), on a T.V. dinner stand while watching morning game shows such as The Price is Right. Which, ironically (or cleverly?) pitched brand sales and product placements for just the type of household goods we were being directed to buy---all to make life more convenient.

This cultural shift became so accepted that it found its way to be represented in media, first through game shows as noted earlier, then daytime drama, followed by evening sitcoms and finally into cinema itself. All to sell the idea of an ideal life ...if you buy these appliances and food products. It was a good strategy. Right up until Eggo Waffles dominated television advertisement with their catchy tag line, "Leggo my Eggo!" leading a toaster oven revolution across the nation.

Now, similar to the Wilhelm Scream, directors just throw someone making pancakes into a scene as a background setup. And as a nod to a nostalgic lost decade.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancake

https://tfwiki.net/wiki/Transformers...s_Eggo_waffles

https://www.fastcompany.com/3065667/...-valley-design

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_...e_belong_to_us

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Never_Gonna_Give_You_Up

ironpony 01-18-20 02:28 AM

Are you saying that people don't like pancakes as much as they do in the movies? I don't like them, but everyone else I know loves them, so I thought maybe the movies depict it accurately therefore.

GulfportDoc 01-20-20 10:37 AM

Have you ever noticed that when someone is running away from a car chasing them (or even an airplane) they run straight away down the street? All they'd have to do is veer straight right or left, and the chaser couldn't follow.:suspicious:

Of course then it would not have the same dramatic impact. But it happens so often in films that you'd think one of the characters might think, "Hey I saw a scene like this in movie. Maybe I'll just turn and run off the road."...:)

~Doc

Stirchley 02-12-20 02:17 PM

Two tropes that I currently hate. Must have mentioned this before: when people make a date, they always say they’re free on such & such a date, but a time is never ever stipulated. Makes no sense.

A new trope I see more & more is to insert songs into a soundtrack that bear no relation whatsoever to the movie. A movie I saw yesterday did this. Songs that ordinarily one would never listen to that are used solely as filler.

Compared to the Graduate, for example, where S&G’s songs were in the soundtrack & they all made sense in the context of the movie & at the time they appeared in the movie.

ironpony 02-13-20 05:58 PM

Oh okay, haven't noticed the song one yet. Another one I have been noticing are characters removing their sunglasses, when it's sunny, whenever something a little dramatic happens.

Stirchley 02-14-20 01:54 PM

⬆️ I noticed this a lot in the last season of Gomorrah. Everyone wearing shades outside, but when they want to say something of importance, glasses are removed. Me, I keeps mine on to hide behind. :)

Stirchley 02-14-20 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2059255)
Are you saying that people don't like pancakes as much as they do in the movies? I don't like them, but everyone else I know loves them, so I thought maybe the movies depict it accurately therefore.
No, I do believe Americans love pancakes. But I highly doubt that the average person jumps out of bed in the a.m. & immediately starts beating pancake batter. Especially on a weekday.

ironpony 03-03-20 03:44 AM

Yeah that's true. Another cliche is near the end of a thriller, when you have a ticking bomb scenario, instead of the good guy just shoot the bad guy and neutralize the threat, the hero and villain pause and engage in a moral, philosophical debate, thus risking the ticking timer. The Peacemaker (1997) does this off the top of my head.

GulfportDoc 03-03-20 10:54 AM

Sensitive, caring or nurturing men. Completely phony, and now trite. The sooner this PC trope goes the way of the Keystone Cops, the better.

Citizen Rules 03-03-20 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2065882)
No, I do believe Americans love pancakes. But I highly doubt that the average person jumps out of bed in the a.m. & immediately starts beating pancake batter. Especially on a weekday.
I don't like pancakes at all...so I never, ever eat package batter at the crack of dawn:eek:

ironpony 03-03-20 02:09 PM

Oh okay, I live in Canada, and people here love their pancakes, so if I see people in movies eating them for breakfast, I believe it :).

As for movies with over-nurturing men, what are some examples?

Stirchley 03-04-20 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2069852)
I don't like pancakes at all...so I never, ever eat package batter at the crack of dawn:eek:
Heck, no. For sure I would have a stomachache.

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2069825)
Sensitive, caring or nurturing men. Completely phony, and now trite. The sooner this PC trope goes the way of the Keystone Cops, the better.
Wut? You’d rather have Neanderthals? To my mind, a real man is sensitive & caring.

GulfportDoc 03-04-20 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2070148)
Wut? You’d rather have Neanderthals? To my mind, a real man is sensitive & caring.
I think it's manly to be perceptive, understanding, courteous, and capable of showing a softer side. But most men who attempt to be sensitive, caring and nurturing soon become way out of their depth. That is the realm of the female. Most men who display those traits to women are simply trying to impress them or to romance them.

Citizen Rules 03-04-20 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2070236)
I think it's manly to be perceptive, understanding, courteous, and capable of showing a softer side. But most men who attempt to be sensitive, caring and nurturing soon become way out of their depth. That is the realm of the female. Most men who display those traits to women are simply trying to impress them or to romance them.
Not trying to get into this debate or anything, but was there a specific character in a movie that you were thinking of? Just curious.

GulfportDoc 03-05-20 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2070246)
Not trying to get into this debate or anything, but was there a specific character in a movie that you were thinking of? Just curious.
No, it's not an instance. It has been a general PC trend of the feminization of American males over the past 20+ years. My sense is that it's more prevalently represented on TV than in feature films.

Further, it's been so pernicious that a certain segment of society --predominantly Millenials and younger-- have been brainwashed to believe that there is not only no significant difference in the sexes, but that a child ought to be able to choose which sex it wants to be. Unfortunately this type of irrational perverse thinking has been creeping into primary education, academia, government and of course, entertainment.

Stirchley 03-06-20 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2070359)
... have been brainwashed to believe that there is not only no significant difference in the sexes, but that a child ought to be able to choose which sex it wants to be.
Amusing how people assume that anyone with a different viewpoint is “brainwashed”.

It seems perfectly reasonable to me that if a girl child feels like she ought to be a boy child that she be allowed to take that path. She might change her mind later, but, surely, she can trust her own feelings.

Mr Minio 03-06-20 03:45 PM

To my mind you've been had, and GulfportDoc is trolling. At this point it's the only explanation other than rightist/conservative doggedness which doesn't save his face anyway.

GulfportDoc 03-07-20 04:57 PM

It's one thing for a legal adult to decide to undergo genital mutilation and extensive hormone therapy which often result in suicide or misery. But it's quite another to allow a child to make the same decision-- in some cases without appropriate counsel from the parents or mental health professionals.

Given the amount of disinformation and high emotion regarding the subject, mostly based upon hearsay and social movements, I think it's important to look at the actual research studies and the opinions of physicians who are authorities in the pertinent specialties.

It surprised me that there possibly no more than 6-8 rigorously researched scientific studies covering the subjects. Here is some expert commentary discussing those studies which I found illuminating:

Transgenderism: A Pathogenic Meme - https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2015/06/15145/

Sex Reassignement Doesn't Work. Here is the Evidence -

https://www.heritage.org/gender/comm...e-the-evidence

Transgenderism: A State-Sponsored Religion? -
https://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2018/01/20547/

ironpony 03-07-20 11:22 PM

Have their been lots of cases where the child has made the decision? I thought that in most cases, it was an age of consent 18+ plus thing for that type of decision making.

Mr Minio 03-08-20 12:24 AM

There seems to be a huge leap between your posts, each tackling a different subject.

Firstly, you're signaling your discontent with the expression of sensitivity and care by men (SIC!), and theorize those are the characteristics of a female, and men who express them have an ulterior motive. You seem to believe there are two distinct realms of male and female, and all people have to abide by them. If that's the case, well, it creates a serious issue as it endangers individualism and pigeonholes people into predefined roles. Men and women are expected to behave and feel a certain way, but it isn't necessarily the way they want to feel and behave. You're clearly irked by the alleged feminization of men, but with no specific examples it can't be discussed any further.

Secondly, you're complaining people think there is no difference in the sexes (wait, wut?), and that (this time!) children have to comply to some predefined roles and types of behavior as, following your previous posts, one would think by "choosing sex" you mean showing characteristics allegedly reserved and limited to the opposite sex. How do you suggest this should be exacted? A child is not a property of the parents, but a human being. You can't force his or her social role and all it entails. Or can you, in your opinion? If so, how far are you willing to go in accomplishing this goal? What measures would you take assuming informatory ones wouldn't work?

Thirdly, you're yapping about actual, physical sex change as opposed to the social sex change (or just showing the characteristics of the opposite sex) you talked about before. You (rather deliberately which means cunningness, but perhaps unconsciously which means it's YOU who've been brainwashed) resort to a language manipulation strategy by avoiding neutral terms and replacing them with your own. For example, genital mutilation instead of i.e. genitoplasty. Don't you think the high suicide rate among transsexuals is induced by the lack of acceptance, and persecution, and the sex change surgery is a way of making them at peace with their own bodies? And of course the consultation with medical professionals is required while the sex change is a process, and not something done on a whim in two days.

Fourthly, the links you provided. Making pointless claims about the normality and abnormality (people used to make such claims about homosexuality, too, completely missing the point) as well as that the operation "frequently" does not provide the long-term wholeness and happiness that people seek (as if denying them that possibility would). But there's more! Placing transgenderism among one of the manifestations of "doctrinaire faith" - they're actually calling it a religion! Further on, manipulation, over-exaggeration, or just plain lying. Again, the mysterious "LGBT ideology". I'm waiting for "redhead ideology" and "big lips ideology". Mixing transgender with transvestite. The notion that they have to be "rescued", of course, doing them more harm than good. Oh yeah, but I should check the validity of that site, first, shoudln't I? Hardly experts. LOL. Rightist/Conservative think tank links linking further to rightist propaganda that bends reality as much as it accusses the other side of doing it. Hardly an eye-opening revelation as you make it sound.

Summing up, boys showing sensitivity and care, or girls showing traits traditionally associated with the masculine don't mean the end of the world, or that your traditional values are at stake. If they are, though, deal with it, because this means they were wrong in the first place. And not very strong and well-rooted if they can be overthrown so easily, eh? Whether or not little children should be allowed to undergo a sex change operation is debatable, but the fact changes made at such young age make the later adult individual practically indistinguishable from the peers that were born in correct bodies is one argument. Gender dysphoria cannot be cured the way the conservative zealots want it to be "cured", so the hormone therapy, and sex change operation are ways of mitigating the suffering of a person. The person is suffering, because he or she has been assigned a wrong body. Imagine yourself born in the body of a woman. Oh, wait, you sick... I'm not talking about that! This is a serious conversation, come on! Should we conduct more research as politically and ideologically free as possible? Sure. Both sides spew propaganda, and tend to manipulate, but right now the choice is between providing the only known "treatment" that brings relief and makes transgender people more likely to accept themselves, and trying to force them to abide by whatever norms you seem fit, effects of which are far more damaging than a possible discontent with the operation, or whatever other reason you seem to find legitimate.

Thanks so much for making me write it. Otherwise, waiting in a queue wouldn't be as entertaining. Hehe.

chawhee 03-08-20 01:04 AM

I'm with Mr Minio on this one, but....maybe we need a separate thread before this blows up further?

JoaoRodrigues 03-08-20 05:15 AM

Another discussion and no one called me to close the thread.

I don't want to ostracize Mr. @GulfportDoc I think he born in a different generation. A generation where you had to cover your ground and be a man. A generation where you had to adapt if you didn't had the social skill to be what everyone else was, a man with all the traits of a man. A generation with a lot of what is now called, toxic masculinity. I remember seeing a video, actually countless times, it's called The Snow Guardian, you can find it on YouTube in the NatGeo channel. It's about a man, called billy barr, almost 70 years old now, he got tired of the social pressure to be like everyone else, find a mate blablabla, and in the age of 24 he went to Colorado for a research and ended up staying and living there in a cabin, all alone, while he was there he recorded the weather for a lot of years and now because of him they can actually prove global warming. Anyway, he went to Colorado because he wasn't capable of such masculinity because he was a "soft man". He likes to watch romance movies, Bollywood and nothing with any type of violence. So even in your generation that was already a thing, most man had to adapt the same way most homosexuals had to marry and have children's.

There's a good movie from this year, called The Last Black Man in San Francisco that show this soft masculinity, or whatever you want to call it. The point in all of this is: it was always here and it will always will be, but maybe now, like everything else, like woman's rights it have more visibility for obvious reasons. About sex change operation, in my country you can change sex with 16 years old without parents consent. I don't really have an opinion on the matter because I don't plan on cutting my penis off.

Stirchley 03-09-20 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2070980)
Have their been lots of cases where the child has made the decision? I thought that in most cases, it was an age of consent 18+ plus thing for that type of decision making.
I thought this too. And, in any event, no one responded to your question.

Stirchley 03-09-20 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues (Post 2071011)
I don't really have an opinion on the matter because I don't plan on cutting my penis off.
You do realize you gave us your opinion in your last post?

JoaoRodrigues 03-10-20 05:05 AM

About sex change operations?

Troyaferd 03-10-20 12:48 PM

All Media these days are promoting this subjects - homosexuality, same-sex relationship/marriage, feminism, trangenderism and teenage sexualisation. It is in nearly every TV Show and Film now.

Stirchley 03-11-20 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Troyaferd (Post 2071552)
All Media these days are promoting this subjects - homosexuality, same-sex relationship/marriage, feminism, trangenderism and teenage sexualisation. It is in nearly every TV Show and Film now.
This is life today. That’s why it’s on tv & in movies.

ironpony 03-13-20 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by average joe (Post 1994912)
Yeah, that reminds me of scenes where a villain holds a gun on someone and orders the person into a car. Doing that puts the villain in control of the situation. If you are around people, you are better off trying to get away. Those scenes only make sense (a little) if you are someone like James Bond and hoping to meet the head villain.

Tearing a strip from a shirt does allow you to tie it tighter around a wound, reducing the bleeding, but if the bleeding is profuse, you probably should use more than a strip.
I guess this happened in North By Northwest. What if Cary Grant refused to get into the car, and just announced to the whole restaurant that the men have guns?

Troyaferd 03-13-20 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2071869)
This is life today. That’s why it’s on tv & in movies.

it`s more directed programming and propaganda than it is reality. And I say this as a gay man myself.

tgm1024 03-13-20 10:16 AM

There's 8 pages in this thread, so forgive me if this was covered:

SO BACK TO THE LIGHTER side, and this isn't necessarily a current movie cliche, but it started with a movie.

You know how people will say "___? We don't need no stink'n ___."

That phrase seems to be used more often 10 years ago or so IME, but in any case, but I believe that it all started here in 1948 (the cliche phrase we use is a misquote):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VqomZQMZQCQ

Iroquois 03-13-20 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Troyaferd (Post 2072534)
it`s more directed programming and propaganda than it is reality. And I say this as a gay man myself.
So by your definition, this post is promoting homosexuality?

Nephilim 03-15-20 07:11 PM

Person X has just lost a dear fiend, family member, or has been shot and person Y asks them: "Are you OK?" WTF?! Of course, they are not.

ironpony 03-15-20 07:36 PM

The best time someone asked Are you Okay was in Tucker and Dale vs. Evil when the dead guy was up to his waist in a woodchipper. "Are you okay!"

ironpony 03-17-20 05:44 PM

Another cliche in action movies or thrillers, is when a cop or a federal agent has to come out or retirement for one last case, even though they don't want to, and they are no older than their early 40s, i.e. Blade Runner, Manhunter, etc.

Stirchley 03-18-20 10:39 AM

⬆️ Depending upon where you live, a cop needs only 20-25 years of service before they can retire if they so wish. So a cop could easily be only 45 when he retires. So I don’t see the cliché here.

Ultraviolence 03-18-20 11:09 AM

Mary sues and woke elements. It's annoying. Terminator Dark Fate was doomed with that **** start, but the Mary Sue + Woke elements made it even more stupid and boring.

ironpony 03-18-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2074411)
⬆️ Depending upon where you live, a cop needs only 20-25 years of service before they can retire if they so wish. So a cop could easily be only 45 when he retires. So I don’t see the cliché here.
Oh okay, but they still keep coming out of retirement in the story, which seems to get old.

ironpony 03-18-20 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Ultraviolence (Post 2074419)
Mary sues and woke elements. It's annoying. Terminator Dark Fate was doomed with that **** start, but the Mary Sue + Woke elements made it even more stupid and boring.
Haven't Mary Sue characters been around for a lot longer than woke elements though? I guess that makes Mary Sue characters a lot more of a cliche though.

Citizen Rules 03-18-20 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2074470)
Haven't Mary Sue characters been around for a lot longer than woke elements though? I guess that makes Mary Sue characters a lot more of a cliche though.
I'd never heard of a 'Mary Sue' term until just a few minutes ago, but in reading about it, I see it's a term that has been around for a long time. Longer than woke elements.

Citizen Rules 03-18-20 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2074469)
Oh okay, but they still keep coming out of retirement in the story, which seems to get old.
There's only so many ways you can make soup...or...bring a retired movie detective back into the story.

Iroquois 03-18-20 02:18 PM

Presumably, Mary Sues are considered modern because there's allegedly a prevalence of them in mainstream film these days (whereas the term itself originated as a criticism of fan fiction where the author creates a flawless original character who may just be a thinly-veiled fantasy version of the author herself, hence the fake-sounding name of "Mary Sue"). The real problem stems from when people lazily use it as a catch-all criticism for female protagonists without explaining what makes a particular female protagonist a Mary Sue - I wouldn't consider any of the protagonists of Terminator: Dark Fate to be Mary Sues (Grace has cyborg abilities but still runs on short-lived battery power while Dani still has to work her way up to being a resistance leader much like John Connor did).

All things considered, I'm surprised a thread titled "Current Movie Clichés" didn't turn into reactionary woke-bashing several pages earlier.

ironpony 03-18-20 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2074475)
I'd never heard of a 'Mary Sue' term until just a few minutes ago, but in reading about it, I see it's a term that has been around for a long time. Longer than woke elements.
Well for example wouldn't Indiana Jones be a Mary Sue character? I mean he doesn't really learn anything and each movie, whenever something supernatural is presented to him, he says "it's just a story", like he does't believe in it, even though he has witnesses it every passing movie.

Or James Bond. A few of the movies he goes through changes, but a lot of the time, especially Roger Moore's version, is pretty much a Mary Sue, isn't he?

Or Rambo? Not First Blood, but Rambo in the sequels?

Citizen Rules 03-18-20 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2074481)
Well for example wouldn't Indiana Jones be a Mary Sue character? I mean he doesn't really learn anything and each movie, whenever something supernatural is presented to him, he says "it's just a story", like he does't believe in it, even though he has witnesses it every passing movie.

Or James Bond. A few of the movies he goes through changes, but a lot of the time, especially Roger Moore's version, is pretty much a Mary Sue, isn't he?

I'm not really familiar with those movies. Read this page, maybe it will answer your questions: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue

Leostales 03-18-20 02:25 PM

Well for example wouldn't Indiana Jones be a Mary Sue character? I mean he doesn't really learn anything and each movie, he keeps saying, whenever something supernatural is presented to him, he says "it's just a story", like he does't believe in it, even though he has witnesses it every passing movie.

A Mary Sue is perfect, Indiana Jones and James Bond are far from perfect. (Haven't seen Rambo)

Also, Indiana Jones DOES have a character arc:
medium.com/cinenation-show/breaking-down-character-indiana-jones-f887a15bb8c3

ironpony 03-18-20 02:39 PM

Oh okay, I didn't know the character had to be perfect perfect to qualify. Does Wonder Woman qualify in the 2017 movie?

Iroquois 03-18-20 02:39 PM

The key thing to look for when telling apart regular protagonists from Mary Sues (or Gary Stus) are the flaws and characteristics that make the character interesting/relatable/etc to an audience beyond just being the protagonist. Indiana Jones can fight, but he's not that good a fighter. He can traverse obstacles, but not without serious risk. He's deathly afraid of snakes. He fails at stuff a lot (the cold opens usually involve him chasing a MacGuffin and losing it). When he wins, but just barely. He's skeptical about every potentially supernatural object because one type of magic being real doesn't equate to another type of magic being real (e.g. the stones in Temple are not the same as the Ark in Raiders) - kinda like Dana Scully in that regard. Bond, on the other hand, is much closer to Mary Sue material - the last few versions have tried to ground him and give him more depth, but his earlier incarnations are pretty shameless power fantasies who only fail just enough to shake up the story and give him a cool deathtrap to escape from or some such thing. Sequel Rambo is straight-up Mary Sue.

So yeah, always question whether someone is using Mary Sue the right way.

ironpony 03-18-20 02:42 PM

Oh okay I see. Yes I also see sequel Rambo being more Mary Sue. I mean gets shot and has to burn the wound shut to stop from bleeding, but then a few minutes later, he is able to run again, and doesn't seem effected. Or gets shot right around the knee area, and screams like this is really bad, but then gets up and runs after the tank.

Iroquois 03-18-20 02:46 PM

We're not even talking about Last Blood where he's about 70 and still able to kill an entire drug cartel single-handed.

As for Wonder Woman, I guess she still has to go through an arc where she learns to curb the whole fight-at-all-costs approach to conflict that she's grown up believing her whole life.

Stirchley 03-18-20 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2074475)
That makes two of us & I still don’t know what it means. Only recently managed to grasp the meaning of “woke”.

Citizen Rules 03-18-20 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2074518)
That makes two of us & I still don’t know what it means. Only recently managed to grasp the meaning of “woke”.
Yup...I only learned 'woke' like a month ago. Before that I thought it had to do with something in the morning time.

Chypmunk 03-18-20 03:44 PM

Is 'woke' not simply the yellow part of an egg then?

ironpony 03-18-20 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2074495)
We're not even talking about Last Blood where he's about 70 and still able to kill an entire drug cartel single-handed.

As for Wonder Woman, I guess she still has to go through an arc where she learns to curb the whole fight-at-all-costs approach to conflict that she's grown up believing her whole life.
I haven't seen Last Blood but yes I agree with you based on what you said and the trailer.

I wasn't sure if Wonder Woman's arc count as an actual arc though. She learns new things about a new flawed world she has entered, but her world is portrayd as more Utopian so is coming from a Utopian world, and then learning that a new world is flawed really a character arc, so much as just learning something new about something else?

I mean every time I learn something new, I wouldn't say it's a character arc for me.

ironpony 03-20-20 03:07 PM

Another one is in action movies, a helicopter will let down a rope or a ladder, for someone to grab on to, and then fly away, with that person hanging instead of allowing them to climb into the helicopter first.

Iroquois 03-20-20 03:14 PM

I guess the idea is for the helicopter to make a quick getaway rather than hang around waiting for the person to climb in first.

ironpony 03-20-20 03:17 PM

I guess so, but in movies like Thunderball or Planet Terror, there is actually time to climb in though.

ironpony 03-23-20 02:36 AM

Another one is, a lot of times when you see a police station interrogation scene, the suspect just sits there and takes all the of verbal abuse and intimidation, instead of just requesting a lawyer, and ceasing further interrogation.

JoaoRodrigues 03-23-20 05:25 AM

Most people just know they have to call a lawyer because they see it in movies.
Asking for a lawyer in movies started has a plot-twist, something people didn't even knew.

AgrippinaX 03-23-20 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by JoaoRodrigues (Post 2075916)
Most people just know they have to call a lawyer because they see it in movies.
Asking for a lawyer in movies started has a plot-twist, something people didn't even knew.
Interesting. I think many people wouldn’t have the money for a lawyer so it doesn’t occur to them. With actual trials in movies you do hear things like: ‘If you can not afford a lawyer the state will provide one for you’.

Chypmunk 03-23-20 05:49 AM

That Juan must be the busiest lawyer in the world!
:D

AgrippinaX 03-23-20 05:53 AM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2074520)
Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2074518)
Yup...I only learned 'woke' like a month ago. Before that I thought it had to do with something in the morning time.
Which makes way more sense than what it does mean...

Stirchley 03-23-20 02:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I’m going to barf if I see another top to bottom view of a spiral staircase in a movie.

ironpony 03-23-20 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by AgrippinaX (Post 2075918)
Interesting. I think many people wouldn’t have the money for a lawyer so it doesn’t occur to them. With actual trials in movies you do hear things like: ‘If you can not afford a lawyer the state will provide one for you’.
If they request the public defender, the PD is court appointed, and does not cost the defendant any money. But I don't recall a movie where they actually did call a lawyer. My Cousin Vinny theydid call a lawyer, but only after they accidentally confess to the crime, which would have been avoided, if they called a lawyer in the first place.

ironpony 03-30-20 02:31 AM

Another cliche is, the age of consent is always 18, even if it's set in a place where it's not the movies or TV, will state it as 18 all the time.

Theophile 03-30-20 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2078303)
Another cliche is, the age of consent is always 18, even if it's set in a place where it's not the movies or TV, will state it as 18 all the time.

.It is a cliche, but in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus, they very blatently show that the age of sexual consent in the U.K. is 15 or 16 (I forget which).

Also, in the movie Love, they show very blatantly that the age of consent in France is at most 16 (or actually less, I think it is technically 14).

18 is an American cliche, but there are exceptions.

ironpony 03-30-20 04:03 AM

That's true. In Family Guy they say it's 18, even though on Rhode Island it is 16. And in Tokyo Drift, they tell the women at the bar to back off of the main character because he is 'underage' they say, even though they age of consent in Japan is 13.

Stirchley 03-30-20 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2078312)
The age of consent in Japan is 13.
Surely that’s untrue?

ironpony 03-30-20 03:39 PM

I was just going by google, when I searched it, after watching the movie, so not sure :).

Mr Minio 03-30-20 03:48 PM

It's not. And you can easily see by googling it.

ironpony 03-30-20 04:45 PM

Oh well I was willing to take google over it, compared to Fast and Furious movie :).

Theophile 03-30-20 06:13 PM

According to this site, the base age of consent in Japan is 13:

https://worldpopulationreview.com/co...nt-by-country/

However, it does add this line: "(although Japan has notoriously consent laws that vary in different parts of the country)."

Stirchley 03-30-20 07:12 PM

⬆️ From the website: “The Penal Code of Japan was established in 1907 and sets the age of consent at 13. Any sexual activity with a person under this age is always considered to be statutory rape and can result in a prison sentence of up to 20 years. However, chapter 34 of the Children Welfare Act also forbids any act of 'fornication' with children (defined as anyone under 18 years of age).”

Well, this is as clear as mud. :rolleyes:

Theophile 03-31-20 01:03 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2078581)
⬆️ From the website: “The Penal Code of Japan was established in 1907 and sets the age of consent at 13. Any sexual activity with a person under this age is always considered to be statutory rape and can result in a prison sentence of up to 20 years. However, chapter 34 of the Children Welfare Act also forbids any act of 'fornication' with children (defined as anyone under 18 years of age).”

Well, this is as clear as mud. :rolleyes:

I have to laugh at the fact that we are on a movie website debating the age of consent in Japan.

By the way, I am probably on a government watch list just for googling "age of sexual consent by country".

ironpony 03-31-20 07:14 PM

Oh well I was just pointing out whenever an American movie or TV show is made the age of consent is always 18, even if it's set in a country like Japan, etc.

Another cliche is whenever a movie deals a lot involving computers, or cybernetics, they always feel they have to have a soundtrack that is largely done on a synthesizer instead of real acoustic instruments. Movies like Tron, The Matrix, The Social Network, etc.

GulfportDoc 03-31-20 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by ironpony (Post 2078925)
Another cliche is whenever a movie deals a lot involving computers, or cybernetics, they always feel they have to have a soundtrack that is largely done on a synthesizer instead of real acoustic instruments. Movies like Tron, The Matrix, The Social Network, etc.
Yes, and they always show the computer operator typing away like mad. They never use the MOUSE. What, are they all working in DOS?..:D

ironpony 03-31-20 09:51 PM

I actually use to wonder that as a kid, why aren't they using a mouse. But I thought maybe in Tron, back in the 80s, they didn't use a mouse as much as they do now maybe?

Stirchley 04-06-20 02:07 PM

When people type on their computer. Typing away at the greatest speed without making any mistakes.

ironpony 04-06-20 02:51 PM

Another one, is (this is also a huge cliche on TV shows as well), when two people have sex, they never put on a condom.

Stirchley 04-06-20 03:08 PM

⬆️ And have you noticed how so often the woman leaps onto the man’s body standing up & wraps her legs around him the 1st time they have sex?

ironpony 04-06-20 05:57 PM

Is that not realistic? I've had that happen to me.

tgm1024 04-06-20 10:20 PM

There are more than a few things that people think are sexual cliches that actually end up being surprisingly not-rare.

No, I'm not going into them.

BTW, is a 555- phone number exchange a cliche?

ironpony 04-11-20 02:48 PM

I am not sure if I mentioned this one before, but another one is where in action movies, the villain is in a helpless position and can be arrested. The hero almost kills them but decides not to, or is talked out of it by another character. During this talking, the villain has time to grab a nearby hidden weapon and the hero ends up killing them anyway right then, which feels like it negates the point of the writers wanting to have the villain arrested. Movies like Lethal Weapon, For Your Eyes Only, and Bad Boys come to mind.