Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Business & Box Office Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Legal issues with printing posters (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=30485)

alli 12-21-12 03:36 PM

Legal issues with printing posters

Hey guys, I was wondering if you know how these copyright issues work with movie posters? I found a cool old poster from the 60s in my dads attic and wanted to scan it, fix it a bit (scratches and marks) and print out a few copies for me and my friends, but is this legal? I mean is it ok to copy these for personal use? Its just that my printer (print24) said I am personally responsible for the copyright...

So does anyone know how this works? Thanks in advance!

TheUsualSuspect 12-22-12 04:02 AM

Re: Legal issues with printing posters

As long as your not selling/profiting from it.

Nausicaä 12-22-12 03:27 PM

Indeed, as long as you are not making money off the posters or using it in a public place. For private home use, print what you want.

robVILE 01-17-13 04:35 PM

Many places won't print it for you because it is a copyrighted work. However if you wait 15 more years, it should be good.

vidterry 02-15-13 09:46 PM

Suggest that the provided answers MAY be misleading, or incomplete. Copyright also covers protected media even when there is no sale, or profit, involved in the reproduction. Suspect that you would be fine, legally, if you did as you describe...for YOURSELF. Start giving them away, and though I can't imagine who would object as copyright holder, it's certainly possible that it would be a technical violation. IANAL

TheUsualSuspect 02-16-13 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by vidterry (Post 879304)
Suggest that the provided answers MAY be misleading, or incomplete. Copyright also covers protected media even when there is no sale, or profit, involved in the reproduction. Suspect that you would be fine, legally, if you did as you describe...for YOURSELF. Start giving them away, and though I can't imagine who would object as copyright holder, it's certainly possible that it would be a technical violation. IANAL
Well obviously distribution is against a copyright law. I guess I should have been more clear :p

Nausicaä 02-19-13 09:03 AM

For private home use, print what you want.
Waa.

IamEvangeline 04-23-13 11:11 PM

I think regardless of legal copy right, the small scale of operation you are planning makes it impractical for any copy right owners to pursue you.