Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Avengers: Endgame vs. Titanic (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59845)

Tugg 08-12-19 02:40 PM

Avengers: Endgame vs. Titanic

Which blockbuster do you prefer:- Avengers: Endgame or Titanic? I prefer "Titanic".

Gibbonblack 08-13-19 10:11 AM

Re: Avengers: Endgame vs. Titanic

I voted Titanic. Although I do think that Endgame and the MCU are an amazing achievment, Titanic is Titanic and it has time behind it. Endgame needs a decade or so to sit

rauldc14 08-13-19 10:38 AM

Infinity War over Titanic. Titanic over Endgame.

Yoda 08-13-19 10:53 AM

Endgame, but that's not saying much, because Titanic is just a bloated technical marvel with really trite writing.

pahaK 08-13-19 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by rauldc14 (Post 2029593)
Infinity War over Titanic. Titanic over Endgame.
It's been so long since I've seen Titanic but this was my first though as well.

Iroquois 08-13-19 01:55 PM

They're both kinda middling, but for me the key difference being that I could easily see myself watching Titanic in full again.

rauldc14 08-13-19 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2029620)
Endgame, but that's not saying much, because Titanic is just a bloated technical marvel with really trite writing.
How were you expecting Titanic to be written? Maybe a little less love story? I thought it told the tale pretty well.

Yoda 08-13-19 02:15 PM

Oh, I don't mean broad strokes/plot (though I'm not nuts about it in that regard, either). I mean literally the writing itself, on a really granular level. It's full of cliche villains, over-the-top characters, clumsy attempts at humor, weird colloquial phrases and angles, stuff like that.

Yoda 08-13-19 02:16 PM

It's also just wildly historically inaccurate in ways I find pretty infuriating, because it slanders actual people, by name, whose families were alive to see it and had to put up a fuss to get an admission of same.

John-Connor 08-13-19 02:17 PM

I think Celine Dion's My Heart Will Go On (the eighth best-selling single in history) is a big part of Titanic's boxoffice succes.

Citizen Rules 08-13-19 02:51 PM

I love Titanic. For someone of my age group we grew up with the myth of the lost ship where so many people lost their lives and where real heroism and cowardliness personified the golden age of invention. The movie for me highlights both the tragedy and grandeur of the grand ship and tells that story with a combination of action, thriller and human drama. For me it's the human drama that makes me connect to those events that happened so long ago.

Maybe for younger people the mystique of Titanic was lost when the ship was found. So for those born after it's discovery it might not hold the same awe and wonder...the wonder of what would it have been like to see the Titanic on it's ill fated maiden voyage.

MoreOrLess 08-13-19 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2029665)
Oh, I don't mean broad strokes/plot (though I'm not nuts about it in that regard, either). I mean literally the writing itself, on a really granular level. It's full of cliche villains, over-the-top characters, clumsy attempts at humor, weird colloquial phrases and angles, stuff like that.
I wouldn't disagree, I mean Cameron was always a bit pulpy but I think he totally lost his touch for adult drama after T2 and descended into really juvenile clichés. To be fair I spose within that style he can actually deliver workable drama unlike Lucas but both Titanic and Avatar for me survive mostly on a sense of spectacle.

End Game is actually somewhat the reverse for me, its setting is juvenile but dealt with in a more intelligent and adult fashion.

hell_storm2004 08-15-19 02:20 PM

Haha, watched it today, none. If you put a gun to my head, I would still say Avatar was better than both.