Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   General Movie Discussion (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Looking for New Director recommendations (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59831)

Diehl40 08-09-19 07:16 PM

Looking for New Director recommendations

Not "recent directors" but directors that are "new" to you or myself

I like the films of the following directors very much:
Woody Allen
David Lynch
Wim Wenders
Jim Jarmusch
Bergman
Fellini
Gilliam

Any director who likes to make you think. Especially if their stories follow an absurd line of reasoning.or Dark Comedy. (an eclectic group to say the least)

Who would you recommend?

If you want to post your own list of directors you like, feel free and we can recommend to each other.

Gideon58 08-09-19 07:33 PM

There's a director named Noah Baumbach that's done some really interesting work this decade.

Citizen Rules 08-09-19 08:03 PM

Re: Looking for New Director recommendations

If anybody knows me, they know who I'd recommend.

Diehl40 08-09-19 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gideon58 (Post 2028962)
There's a director named Noah Baumbach that's done some really interesting work this decade.

I've seen "When We Were Young" and "Margot at the Wedding". They were okay but not one to add to my list. I do want to see "Greenberg" however.

Diehl40 08-09-19 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2028965)
If anybody knows me, they know who I'd recommend.

If your saying Orson Welles, I'd have to say that I have only seen "Citizen Kane" and "Touch of Evil" Which I thought were technically flawless, but I am not as interested in the stories as much as I would like to be. I've said before that I thought Welles and Hitchcock were in a class of their own when it came to directing. Who knows what he could have achieved if he had not been sabotaged by Hearst.
When I took Film Elements as a fan (not really as a student) we had a text book that used Citizen Kane as standard for all of the major elements. Gianneti's "Understanding the Movies" does the same thing.

GulfportDoc 08-09-19 08:29 PM

You might like Michelangelo Antonioni. As director, he did several films in English, my favorite being Blow-up, followed later by Zabriskie Point, and The Passenger.

His pacing and use of silence, which allows for experiencing ambient sounds, was the best of its kind. Very absorbing atmospheres.

~Doc

Diehl40 08-09-19 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by GulfportDoc (Post 2028976)
You might like Michelangelo Antonioni. As director, he did several films in English, my favorite being Blow-up, followed later by Zabriskie Point, and The Passenger.

His pacing and use of silence, which allows for experiencing ambient sounds, was the best of its kind. Very absorbing atmospheres.

~Doc

I recognize his name, and the titles of his movies, but have not checked him out yet. Which would you recommend as an intro? Would that be Blow Up?

cricket 08-09-19 08:38 PM

Carl Dreyer, Luis Bunuel, and Eric Rohmer.

Diehl40 08-09-19 08:44 PM

If I had to say what is common thread between almost all the directors I mentioned above is their use of the absurd in their films. If asked to describe my understanding of the "absurd" I would use Kundera's book "The Unbearable Lightness of Being" as an example. The movie never describes the "Unbearable Lightness of Being; however, the book claims it is a sort of play between Lightness and Weight. This sense of absurd would be close to the definition in what makes a "Dark Comedy" such as "Brazil", "The Life of Brian", "Stardust Memories", "The Purple Rose of Cairo", etc.

Diehl40 08-09-19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 2028982)
Carl Dreyer, Luis Bunuel, and Eric Rohmer.

Any particular films to start with?

Diehl40 08-09-19 08:46 PM

This is really great. Keep em' coming.

cricket 08-09-19 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by Diehl40 (Post 2028986)
Any particular films to start with?
Only seen 3 Dreyer and my favorite is Ordet. Favorite for Bunuel is That Obscure Object of Desire and favorite Rohmer is probably La Collectionneuse.

Citizen Rules 08-09-19 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by Diehl40 (Post 2028975)
If your saying Orson Welles, I'd have to say that I have only seen "Citizen Kane" and "Touch of Evil" Which I thought were technically flawless, but I am not as interested in the stories as much as I would like to be. I've said before that I thought Welles and Hitchcock were in a class of their own when it came to directing. Who knows what he could have achieved if he had not been sabotaged by Hearst.
When I took Film Elements as a fan (not really as a student) we had a text book that used Citizen Kane as standard for all of the major elements. Gianneti's "Understanding the Movies" does the same thing.
Nah, not Orson Welles, but Kelly Reichardt. I talk about her movies all the time. Check out a couple of them, I think you might like them.

HashtagBrownies 08-09-19 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2029022)
Nah, not Orson Welles, but Kelly Reichardt. I talk about her movies all the time. Check out a couple of them, I think you might like them.
Night Moves is very good.

mattiasflgrtll6 08-09-19 11:51 PM

While we're on the subject of Welles though, I highly recommend The Trial, The Magnificent Ambersons and The Stranger.

The Stranger has one of my all-time favorite performances. Orson Welles is legitimately frightening in his role.

Citizen Rules 08-09-19 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by HashtagBrownies (Post 2029029)
Night Moves is very good.
Yeah, there you go, good one, I'd highly recommend it too.

NedStark09 08-09-19 11:56 PM

I know he is not new but I think Jon Favrou has came a long way since coming from an actor in the football movie The Replacements to making Elf, Iron Man, The Jungle Book live action movie and the small film called The Chef is really good. I know The Live Action Lion King is getting hard opinions and Cowboys and Aliens was odd. But I think he will end up being a very great director. Also the Star Wars Mandelorian Tv Show.

Holden Pike 08-10-19 12:02 AM

Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Delicatessen, City of Lost Children, and Micmacs are very Gilliamesque and darkly weird and wonderful with inventive visuals. For me his two masterpieces are Amélie and A Very Long Engagement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKhDL1LjESk

Holden Pike 08-10-19 12:15 AM

I would have to assume you are well aware of The Coen Brothers, David Fincher, Wes Anderson, Kubrick, Polanski, and Herzog.

I don't know how far you have dug into the filmography of Robert Altman but he is one of the greats. Stylistically most identifiable for his unique overlapping dialogue and capturing improvisational acting. His most famous and accessible films are probably MASH, Nashville, The Player, Short Cuts, and maybe Gosford Park. Those are all great films, but he has a long list of greats and oddities and even his films that don't entirely work are usually mesmerizing and interesting. Two of his absolute masterpieces in my book are The Long Goodbye and McCabe & Mrs. Miller.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAYheZweypk

SeeingisBelieving 08-10-19 10:49 AM

I haven't seen his other films but Austin Chick is a director I'm interested in after seeing his Girls Against Boys (2012). It was an invigorating film to watch because of the imaginative direction and editing.