Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Actors, Awards, & Directors (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Actors where you haven't liked a single movie of theirs (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=66927)

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:21 PM

Actors where you haven't liked a single movie of theirs

Your opinion on the actor and their performance isn't relevant, they just always happen to be in movies that you ultimately don't like.

My answer is James McAvoy.

Yoda 09-29-22 12:52 PM

This is a good thread, I'll have to think about my answer.

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2336327)
My answer is James McAvoy.
This is obviously surprising, but when I look at his filmography there's less there than I thought I'd remembered. I suppose his reputation outstrips his choices there, because he himself has been really good in otherwise meh films (Split being the clearest example).

For reference/others/whatever:

The Last King of Scotland
Atonement
X-Men: First Class

Iroquois 09-29-22 12:58 PM

Re: Actors where you haven't liked a single movie of theirs

My basic guideline is anything that's a
or lower is a film that I quote-unquote dislike overall regardless of individual strengths. Anyway, I predict a lot of low-hanging fruit answers like Sandler or Ferrell but maybe we'll get some interesting ones.

Miss Vicky 09-29-22 01:02 PM

Until a couple of years ago, I would've said Daniel Day Lewis.

But then I rewatched Gangs of New York for a HOF and it actually worked for me when it hadn't twice before (third time's a charm, I guess?). I think he's a gifted actor, but from what I've seen he doesn't seem to pick projects that I like.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:04 PM

Re: Actors where you haven't liked a single movie of theirs

I'll go with Tarantino. He's no actor but he does appear in his movies in an acting role and I haven't liked a one of them.

Yoda 09-29-22 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336365)
I'll go with Tarantino. He's no actor but he does appear in his movies in an acting role and I haven't liked a one of them.
Okay, so we might need a clarification: I read the title as being about whether we liked the movies, though this is about liking the performance in the movie.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2336380)
Okay, so we might need a clarification: I read the title as being about whether we liked the movies, though this is about liking the performance in the movie.
I've disliked every movie I've seen Tarantino in.

Yoda 09-29-22 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336381)
I thought this was crazy before I remembered that he doesn't actually do the Hitchcock thing and he's not in a lot of his films. He is in Pulp Fiction though, so my reaction is still: :eek: But just one :eek: instead of like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2336383)
I thought this was crazy before I remembered that he doesn't actually do the Hitchcock thing and he's not in a lot of his films. He is in Pulp Fiction though, so my reaction is still: :eek: But just one :eek: instead of like :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I try to avoid Tarantino films whenever I can. He had fairly large acting roles in Pulp Fiction and Djano Unchained...IMDB list 39 acting credits for him though some are for voice acting or brief cameos. I'm not sure if he had any other substantial onscreen time in any other movies? Anyone know?

seanc 09-29-22 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336381)
Alejandro Jodorosky. :) I think we might be missing the spirit of the question.

I racked my brain for this one and couldn’t come up with anyone. There are several I had to come around on but did in a big way usually. Henry Fonda, Burt Lancaster, and Gary Cooper jump to mind.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336388)
Alejandro Jodorosky. :) I think we might be missing the spirit of the question.

I racked my brain for this one and couldn’t come up with anyone. There are several I had to come around on but did in a big way usually. Henry Fonda, Burt Lancaster, and Gary Cooper jump to mind.
No I'm not...at least I don't think I am.

Is not the question about actors who you don't like any of the movies they appear in?

seanc 09-29-22 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336390)
No I'm not...at least I don't think I am.

Is not the question about actors who you don't like any of the movies they appear in?
It’s like you ate getting off on a technicality. Tarantino is not a performer. No one is casting Tarantino but Tarantino. The equivalent is if we switched director with actor in the thread title and I answered Ryan Gosling. I could technically answer that way but it’s really not what the OP is driving at.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336392)
It’s like you ate getting off on a technicality. Tarantino is not a performer. No one is casting Tarantino but Tarantino. The equivalent is if we switched director with actor in the thread title and I answered Ryan Gosling. I could technically answer that way but it’s really not what the OP is driving at.
You're being hemmed in by your perceptions (we're all hemmed in by our perceptions in one way or another). Tarantino is my answer and I did clearly think it out before I answered. I've seen him act in two movies where he played substantial parts, I disliked both of those two movies, hence he's an actor where I haven't liked a single movie of his (that he acted in). You apparently thought I meant that I didn't like the movies Tarantino made and came to a conclusion I had guessed wrong, kind of funny actually:)

seanc 09-29-22 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336394)
You're being hemmed in by your perceptions (we're all hemmed in by our perceptions in one way or another). Tarantino is my answer and I did clearly think it out before I answered. I've seen him act in two movies where he played substantial parts, I disliked both of those two movies, hence he's an actor where I haven't liked a single movie of his (that he acted in). You apparently thought I meant that I didn't like the movies Tarantino made and came to a conclusion I had guessed wrong, kind of funny actually:)
What do you mean “guessed wrong”?

cricket 09-29-22 01:59 PM

I'm sure I could pick out some no name but there's too many movies I like to pick out someone well known.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336396)
What do you mean “guessed wrong”?
Geez Sean, chill bro🙂

My guess is that you guessed, that when I said Tarantino, that I was being clueless and didn't understand the question properly and had meant I disliked Tarantion's movies that he directed.

Torgo 09-29-22 02:12 PM

Charlie Hunnam and Gerard Butler. The closest I've come to liking either of their movies is Crimson Peak and RocknRolla, respectively, and yes, I think their performances are the worst things about each movie. Whenever I think about Gerard Butler, I think about him walking into his agent's office, sitting down and saying in his thick Scottish accent, "just give me the s***tiest scripts ya got."

seanc 09-29-22 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Citizen Rules (Post 2336398)
Geez Sean, chill bro🙂

My guess is that you guessed, that when I said Tarantino, that I was being clueless and didn't understand the question properly and had meant I disliked Tarantion's movies that he directed.
I’m very chill just wasn’t sure what you meant by guessed.

For the record I knew exactly what you meant.

seanc 09-29-22 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by Torgo (Post 2336404)
Charlie Hunnam and Gerard Butler. The closest I've come to liking either of their movies is Crimson Peak and RocknRolla, respectively, and yes, I think their performances are the worst things about each movie. Whenever I think about Gerard Butler, I think about him walking into his agent's office, sitting down and saying in his thick Scottish accent, "just give me the s***tiest scripts ya got."
Both of these are good ones, but I did like Hunnam in Lost City Of Z.

Haven’t liked Butler, but have only seen a couple as well.

The Rock might be a good one for me.

Citizen Rules 09-29-22 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 2336405)
I’m very chill just wasn’t sure what you meant by guessed.

For the record I knew exactly what you meant.
Fair enough. I believe you.