Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Upcoming Movies & Sequels (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Thor: Love and Thunder (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=59708)

WorldFilmGeek 07-23-19 09:26 AM

Thor: Love and Thunder

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...1,1000_AL_.jpg

Natalie Portman is returning to the Thor franchise as Jane Foster. This time, Jane finds herself worthy of Mjolnir as well and will become the female Mighty Thor. Chris Hemsworth and Tessa Thompson are returning as the original Thor and Valkyrie with Taika Waititi returning to write and direct. Coming out November 5, 2021.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...60,999_AL_.jpg
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/M/...8,1000_AL_.jpg

https://sfzone1-legalbrandmarket.net...19/07/Thor.jpg

Yoda 07-23-19 10:04 AM

Re: Thor: Love and Thunder

That is...some title.

Doolallyfrank 07-23-19 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Such a He-Man design lol

So Mjolnir doesn't end up getting shattered by Hela after going back to it's original timeline? Is another one gonna be made?

John-Connor 03-11-20 05:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Christian Bale Joining Thor: Love and Thunder.

The Rodent 03-11-20 05:33 AM

From what I've read, he's playing the Dario Agger version of Minotaur.

Agger is the CEO of ROXXON Energy, which has made a few appearances in the MCU already and is slated as appearing in the Loki TV series as well.

doubledenim 03-11-20 05:52 AM

I had really hoped he would be Beta-Ray William.

The Rodent 03-11-20 05:58 AM

That might work.
Beta Ray was meant to be in Ragnarok.

And, in the comics, Stormbreaker was originally Beta Ray's weapon.

NedStark09 03-11-20 06:05 AM

Beta Ray may still appear it just may not be Bale. Bill can be an Alley who is looking for his promised weapon and who wouldnt wanna see a Alien like Bill and Thor have a fist fight with Tika as a director

rambond 03-11-20 08:53 AM

What grabbed my attention in the second thor is how beautiful nathalie portman was as jane foster, she was sensual as F**k, and im happy that she s back

WorldFilmGeek 03-11-20 03:23 PM

Tessa Thompson has confirmed that Bale will be the central villain of the piece. So it could be Dario Agger or even Gorr, the God Butcher.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies...-bale-villain/

The Rodent 11-22-20 08:05 AM

Well, turns out this movie is gonna have a similar epic-ness as an Avengers movie.
Kinda like how Captain America: Civil War was basically an Avengers movie.

Was revealed last week that Chris Pratt was in the movie, but turns out the entire GotG cast are all in... which makes sense though, considering Thor and the Guardians were all together at the end of Endgame. Means we should hopefully see Korg and Meik as well.

Tessa Thompson is back too.
Tom Hiddleston, Idris Elba, Karen Gillan, Jeff Goldblum are apparently reprising their roles...

... and Jennifer Lawrence has appeared on the cast sheet as well... some think she'll be playing Enchantress, an ally of Loki.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nofasgard8.jpg

LordWhis 12-06-20 10:09 PM

Does this movie mean Thor becomes a permanent guardian of the galaxy and FemThor takes his place on earth/Asgard ?

TheUsualSuspect 12-06-20 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by The Rodent (Post 2143147)
... and Jennifer Lawrence has appeared on the cast sheet as well... some think she'll be playing Enchantress, an ally of Loki.
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nofasgard8.jpg
I thought she had enough starring in superhero films...

LordWhis 12-06-20 11:11 PM

I mean the Enchantress is much more complicated than Ally of Loki...

WorldFilmGeek 12-14-20 05:39 PM

Christian Bale is officially playing Gorr, the God Butcher
https://assets1.ignimgs.com/2019/08/...jpg?width=1280

baleclone 12-15-20 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by WorldFilmGeek (Post 2152789)
This would be interesting

Alicgmood12 01-22-21 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by WorldFilmGeek (Post 2152789)
Wooooow! I didn't know that! It's so good that i registered on these forum

Gabriella 01-25-21 09:12 AM

Im so exited for this movie, just woah!!!

cat_sidhe 01-25-21 11:52 AM

Not a fan of this concept. Thor isn't a title one can just pass on.

I know this is based on comics but I still have that reservation.

Wyldesyde19 01-25-21 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 2170657)
Not a fan of this concept. Thor isn't a title one can just pass on.

I know this is based on comics but I still have that reservation.
It isn’t so much “passed” on that another has become worthy of wielding it. As I recall, Thor retrieved his current hammer from the past, so it is possible his hammer from the present is somehow repaired and this there are now two Mjolnirs, each now finding a worthy wielder.

cat_sidhe 01-25-21 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Wyldesyde19 (Post 2170754)
It isn’t so much “passed” on that another has become worthy of wielding it. As I recall, Thor retrieved his current hammer from the past, so it is possible his hammer from the present is somehow repaired and this there are now two Mjolnirs, each now finding a worthy wielder.

So she won't be called Thor then?

I've never read the comics.

Wyldesyde19 01-25-21 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by cat_sidhe (Post 2171004)
So she won't be called Thor then?

I've never read the comics.
She was in the comics so I imagine she will be here as well. Not sure how it’ll all fit in this, exactly.

cat_sidhe 01-25-21 11:24 PM

Sounds like a mess to me.

Sedai 07-01-21 05:54 PM

To me, nothing embodies the concept of the God of Thunder more than a 5'3", 108lb waif of an actress who is pushing 40. I like Nat Portman as much as the next person, but come on, man!

doubledenim 07-01-21 06:01 PM

The Nat Raps vids are here for you.

xSookieStackhouse 04-18-22 11:12 AM

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)

heres the teaser trailer:) cant wait!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgB1...lEntertainment

WorldFilmGeek 04-18-22 01:03 PM

Official synopsis:

The film finds Thor (Chris Hemsworth) on a journey unlike anything he’s ever faced – a quest for inner peace. But his retirement is interrupted by a galactic killer known as Gorr the God Butcher (Christian Bale), who seeks the extinction of the gods. To combat the threat, Thor enlists the help of King Valkyrie (Tessa Thompson), Korg (Taika Waititi) and ex-girlfriend Jane Foster (Natalie Portman), who – to Thor’s surprise – inexplicably wields his magical hammer, Mjolnir, as the Mighty Thor. Together, they embark upon a harrowing cosmic adventure to uncover the mystery of the God Butcher’s vengeance and stop him before it’s too late.

Iroquois 04-18-22 01:13 PM

Man, that's a bad choice of trailer song - GNR is Sunset Strip glam metal bullsh*t that's very far removed from the kind of epic fantasy nonsense that Thor embodies (which is why "Immigrant Song" made sense even beyond the Viking connotations). Not sure why we're contesting whether Jane can use the hammer when VIsion and Captain America were able to do it.

That being said, I'm not fussed about how this looks. Ragnarok seemed like a fun enough change-up at the time but it gets worse each time I revisit it and this appears to be more of the same so I'm not expecting greatness from this anyway.

doubledenim 04-18-22 03:31 PM

And I felt bad coming here to dump on Natalie Portman…

xSookieStackhouse 04-18-22 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2296225)
And I felt bad coming here to dump on Natalie Portman…
im sure she will do pretty good hopefully 🙏

doubledenim 04-18-22 06:58 PM

I’m sure she will be fine.

At issue is the Natalie Portman persona. So serious. Even when trying to do comedy, there is still a part that feels reserved. Then (potentially) thrusting her into the spotlight, seems off.

Will wait and see. I’m definitely checking out on most of these Marvel movies. Even the Guardians appearance didn’t light this fanboi up.

xSookieStackhouse 04-19-22 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2296272)
I’m sure she will be fine.

At issue is the Natalie Portman persona. So serious. Even when trying to do comedy, there is still a part that feels reserved. Then (potentially) thrusting her into the spotlight, seems off.

Will wait and see. I’m definitely checking out on most of these Marvel movies. Even the Guardians appearance didn’t light this fanboi up.
thats so true she did really good job on other 2 thor movies even tho shes one of my favourite actresses. u should watch them all before the new ones release. im excited for it a d doctor strange 2 and otber ones

D54pod 04-19-22 08:12 AM

Cannot wait for this, the visual style looks incredible

xSookieStackhouse 04-19-22 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by D54pod (Post 2296379)
Cannot wait for this, the visual style looks incredible
it does espcially Taika Waititi is directing the movie. his one of the funniest people

Captain Terror 04-19-22 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2217197)
To me, nothing embodies the concept of the God of Thunder more than a 5'3", 108lb waif of an actress who is pushing 40. I like Nat Portman as much as the next person, but come on, man!
This was my hot take at first, but check out her arms in that last shot. She's lookin' surprisingly beefy.
I'm not really invested in these things anymore, so I'm open to it.

Aryadalos 04-21-22 02:45 AM

I can't wait to watch this movie :)

xSookieStackhouse 04-21-22 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by Captain Terror (Post 2296394)
This was my hot take at first, but check out her arms in that last shot. She's lookin' surprisingly beefy.
I'm not really invested in these things anymore, so I'm open to it.
cause she works out alot for the movie.

Corax 04-21-22 04:26 AM

Looks good so far. Fingers crossed.

Siddon 04-21-22 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by Sedai (Post 2217197)
<Snicker>

casual....bow before THROG

https://i.imgur.com/a8xfRQk.gif

aronisred 05-22-22 07:18 PM

Trailer tomorrow 8:30pm EST

xSookieStackhouse 05-22-22 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by aronisred (Post 2302481)
Trailer tomorrow 8:30pm EST
ahh cant wait!!!!

xSookieStackhouse 05-23-22 10:55 PM

fulll trailer cant wait soo excited. gotta love natalie portman 🙂❤️
https://youtu.be/Go8nTmfrQd8

WHITBISSELL! 05-24-22 02:20 PM

I gotta admit, yesterday's trailer took me from mild curiosity to actively wanting to see this.

doubledenim 05-24-22 06:29 PM

Something just doesn’t feel right…

And Bale looks like a flea market Voldemort.

I’m all in though. Wondering how close to Guardians 2.5 this will be.

FromBeyond 06-03-22 04:49 AM

https://youtu.be/VGfxurMOaWI

xSookieStackhouse 06-03-22 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by FromBeyond (Post 2304984)
the last part was that the parody lol?

John McClane 06-03-22 12:08 PM

This is looking worse and worse.

When can I buy my ticket?

xSookieStackhouse 06-20-22 11:31 PM

another new trailer ahh cant wait, july 6th here we come 😍😍😍😍https://youtu.be/MqMRGkmGO98

TONGO 06-21-22 09:12 AM

So, Jane Foster is supposed to be as worthy as Steve Rogers? This movie is 100% Hollywood ass.

Wyldesyde19 06-21-22 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2309392)
So, Jane Foster is supposed to be as worthy as Steve Rogers? This movie is 100% Hollywood ass.
It’s following comic book book canon, for what it’s worth.

Iroquois 07-07-22 12:33 PM

They come up with a whole other reason for her to be able to wield it...

WARNING: "Love and Thunder" spoilers below
Turns out Thor once asked Mjolnir to always protect her so when she develops Stage 4 cancer and then finds the broken pieces of Mjolnir they reassemble and grant her Thor powers that stave off her cancer

Anyway, leaving that aside, this movie is terrible. Bottom-tier MCU.

xSookieStackhouse 07-08-22 05:27 AM

Originally Posted by Iroquois (Post 2314449)
They come up with a whole other reason for her to be able to wield it...

WARNING: "Love and Thunder" spoilers below
Turns out Thor once asked Mjolnir to always protect her so when she develops Stage 4 cancer and then finds the broken pieces of Mjolnir they reassemble and grant her Thor powers that stave off her cancer

Anyway, leaving that aside, this movie is terrible. Bottom-tier MCU.
are u serious 🧐😑😒. to me its really amazing movie i loved it so much. one of the best top 5 mcu movies ever but i respect ur opinion

Wyldesyde19 07-08-22 07:05 PM

I’ve never been much of a fan of the Thor films. That said, I’ll probably get to this eventually.

Allaby 07-08-22 07:14 PM

I saw this today and really liked it. It's lots of fun with some good laughs and heart. Christian Bale makes a great villain. One of the best films of the year.

TONGO 07-10-22 04:13 PM

and of course I'm sitting in the theater right now with 3D glasses on lol! I'm such a Marvel mark. Will give a poorly written review later...

TONGO 07-10-22 06:43 PM

:nope:

The first half of this movie is a spoof of a Marvel movie, like Mel Brooks directed it. At first I laughed, but it was relentless. There isnt any serious content, and where there was opportunity for it they forcibly wouldnt and kept being so tongue and cheek to the point of exhaustion. Realize we are talking about 75 minutes of absurd franchise killing silliness.

Then it was just bad. Not funny, just bad. It was bad. People probably laughed whenever a comic book editor ever told someone their job occupation, but this movie is a perfect example of what dangers lie in letting "creative" run wild, especially when the creator has no concept of the core product.

MARVEL Studios movies were fun. They were better than DC movies because they could interject humor and self deprecating sarcasm very smoothly at the right times. Sadly Thor Love and Thunder was all silliness. All sizzle and no steak, and even though they spent $250 million dollars creating it I was left unfulfilled.

2 1/2 popcorn boxes out of 5, and thats having seen it in 3D. I dont know if I would have lasted till the end otherwise.

xSookieStackhouse 07-10-22 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by TONGO (Post 2315445)
:nope:

The first half of this movie is a spoof of a Marvel movie, like Mel Brooks directed it. At first I laughed, but it was relentless. There isnt any serious content, and where there was opportunity for it they forcibly wouldnt and kept being so tongue and cheek to the point of exhaustion. Realize we are talking about 75 minutes of absurd franchise killing silliness.

Then it was just bad. Not funny, just bad. It was bad. People probably laughed whenever a comic book editor ever told someone their job occupation, but this movie is a perfect example of what dangers lie in letting "creative" run wild, especially when the creator has no concept of the core product.

MARVEL Studios movies were fun. They were better than DC movies because they could interject humor and self deprecating sarcasm very smoothly at the right times. Sadly Thor Love and Thunder was all silliness. All sizzle and no steak, and even though they spent $250 million dollars creating it I was left unfulfilled.

2 1/2 popcorn boxes out of 5, and thats having seen it in 3D. I dont know if I would have lasted till the end otherwise.
are u serious 🧐 as a huge marvel fan i loved the movie i seen it 4 times now😎 its on my top 10 best marvel movies 😎 i respect ur opinion!! to me i give it 5/5!!!

doubledenim 07-17-22 02:59 AM

This really makes me appreciate the chances DC takes. Doesn’t matter that they aren’t big swings and home runs.

Why were the Guardians even in this? Felt like contractual obligations.

Iroquois 07-17-22 03:23 AM

That's probably it, but I also get the impression that Waititi's tendency to make much shorter films outside of the MCU means that his entries have to be bulked up one way or the other (see also the inclusion of Dr. Strange in Ragnarok).

Powdered Water 07-17-22 03:52 AM

All the stuff I've read here and all the YouTube reactions I've seen so far have me skipping this one. I'm pretty sure I've got the feel for it. I'll catch it sometime when Disney has to start giving out 30 day free cards just to get people to watch their "content".

Sure sounds like a nice little payday for Natalie PortPerson. Nothing wrong with that I suppose. Has anybody seen the faces of Tessa Thompson meme? F*cking hysterical. :laugh:

xSookieStackhouse 07-17-22 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by doubledenim (Post 2317515)
This really makes me appreciate the chances DC takes. Doesn’t matter that they aren’t big swings and home runs.

Why were the Guardians even in this? Felt like contractual obligations.

the guy who works at the cinema told me that DC make their movies really fast trying to be like marvel =/

Iroquois 07-17-22 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by xSookieStackhouse (Post 2317543)
the guy who works at the cinema told me that DC make their movies really fast trying to be like marvel =/
I don't get that impression. Like DD wrote, DC has established its own MCU-style continuity but the company isn't as beholden to it if their willingness to do one-off works like Joker or The Batman is any indication (and the fact that those proved to be big hits in their own right only seems to validate the idea that DC doesn't need to be like Marvel in terms of relying on one big cinematic universe and forcing all their movies to fit into that framework).

TONGO 07-17-22 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Powdered Water (Post 2317520)
Has anybody seen the faces of Tessa Thompson meme? F*cking hysterical. :laugh:
Just looked for it, cant find it. Could you please post it possibly?

Powdered Water 07-17-22 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's see if this works.

Thursday Next 07-18-22 10:11 AM

I had pretty low expectations for this and they weren't really met. Do I have MCU-fatigue, or is it the franchise itself that's tired?

Love and Thunder just seemed under written and not well directed. The tone was weird - it flipped from comedy so self-referential it was basically a parody, to particularly serious, dark and creepy. I did laugh out loud a couple of times, but I do wonder whether a low budget, home made, independent parody film might have been a better vehicle for some of these gags than a multi-million dollar Thor movie. The CGI locations and fight scenes that were basically a blur of gold were not great. There were some scenes that looked good in a comic book way - when they went into the shadow realm, for example. The Guardians of the Galaxy were a big part of the trailer but didn't have much to do in the film. Korg is more fun in small doses. The story was just basic questing with lumpy sentimentality, powers that change as the plot requires them and the dumbest macguffin in the MCU.

xSookieStackhouse 07-18-22 10:32 AM

people who gives this movie low ratings needs to read the comics. to me i give it
its on my top 10 favorite marvel movies. i respect the opinions

TONGO 07-18-22 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by xSookieStackhouse (Post 2317801)
people who gives this movie low ratings needs to read the comics. to me i give it
its on my top 10 favorite marvel movies. i respect the opinions

Oh ive read the comics. More specifically Thor was my favorite due to Stan Lee & Jack Kirbys original run on the title and then followed years later by Walt Simonsons amazing run. Love and Thunder did too good a job of making fun of itself, and the entire Marvel genre. I've seen Disney movies made for kids that had more substantial serious elements within it.

doubledenim 07-18-22 03:57 PM

I think it’s fair to say I liked the movie, but don’t think it’s great. After digesting a lot of articles and pods, I think these are fair ideas.

- The tone is all over the place. It’s somber, it’s jokey, it’s a cancer drama, it’s a kids in peril movie, it seems like too many plates in the air at once. It’s also an example of what ultimate Taiki with unchecked power can bring. The overuse of Korg, the steamrolling of quips, etc. He leans towards camp and when he falls over the edge, it breaks the movie. Also, when the original cut of the movie was four hours, how can you whittle something down that much and not feel it onscreen.

- Natalie Portman is really stiff in some of these scenes. The “Bluetooth speaker hallway”scene and “walking into Omnipotent City” scene are two that come to mind.

- The misuse of the Guardians. We’re suppose to believe that a group that has saved the universe multiple times, is about to perish at the claws of a bunch of hopped up owl-chicken Muppets creatures? That kinda face plants the movie from the start, after a fairly well done Gorr intro.

There are some bright spots. The technology used in the shadow realm scene is impressive and seems like a real breakthrough for movies going forward. The electrified 🧸 was a real crowd pleaser.

TheUsualSuspect 07-18-22 05:56 PM

Mid-tier Marvel.

Bale was the best thing in a role that should be in a different movie. It tries way too hard to be funny and a lot of the jokes misfire. It was more concerned with JPM (jokes per minute) than actual story. The balancing of humour and serious drama was poor.

Yeah, it looked cool, the devoid of colour sequences were neat and it was somewhat entertaining, but it takes zero chances, doesn't have any memorable scenes and felt lazy.

As good as Bale was, he ultimately does nothing to the story. I was surprised by how much I did not laugh when the movie was throwing everything and the kitchen sink at me in terms of humour.

I did get a kick out of Crowe though.

Raven73 07-24-22 01:21 AM

We all agree that the Guardians of the Galaxy were underutilized in this. I think the intent was to for Star Lord to be a kind of mentor to Thor, in the sense that Thor is learning the importance of making one's own family and perhaps how to be a leader. Irregardless, I would have liked to have seen the Guardians join Thor in this quest as part of his "team". I thought the "Asgardians of the Galaxy" was a clever team name.

I was happy to see Lady Sif again, albeit for a short time. I wonder if we'll see her with a cybernetic arm in future movies.

WHITBISSELL! 08-05-22 01:18 AM

https://www.giantfreakinrobot.com/en...ng-record.html

WrinkledMind 09-12-22 05:03 AM

This tried too hard to be funny. Not all jokes landed. Crowe didn't do a Goldblum for me. He just, well, looked out of place. He was far funnier in The Nice Guys.

I actually thought the voiceover from Korg was for people who haven't seen the previous movies. And therefore it made sense for it to be there.

The movie's best asset, Bale, was underutilised.

This almost felt like a movie that the filmmaker was forced to make, rather than him wanting to make it. I hope that makes sense.

On a side note. A minor thing this, but why was Valkyrie called King. I find this notion of female terms being seen as somewhat lesser important and therefore ignored or erased a depressing thing. I feel the same way, when actress are called as actors. Own your terms ladies and be proud of them.

ynwtf 09-22-22 12:07 PM

Here's a strange take. I restarted Thor: Love and Thunder last night, from only making it about 20-30 minutes in a week or so back, and found myself really enjoying it. I like the idea that what we're seeing is Korg's retelling of the events he witnessed, which helps explain the child-like silliness.

It was goofy, and while I like goofy, that really turned me off with my first attempt. My second? I just let go of my expectations and went with the flow. I am glad that I did. I enjoyed it so much more this time around. The silliness seemed to end when Korg's character was no longer present in the team, entering the Shadow Realm, so maybe there is something to the point of view retelling going on. Anyway. The Shadow Realm was actually quite nice, in my opinion. The action there felt grounded (unlike Thor's Van Damme spread, earlier in the movie), and Bale could really come out a bit with his exaggerated mouth expressions.

Hey. It actually worked for me. Go figure.

Yoda 09-22-22 12:09 PM

It was fine. Nowhere near as funny as Ragnarok but better than another warmed over noun-swap origin story at least. I appreciated that there was a clear purpose to Jane's hammer-wielding, too, rather than just "hey you know what would get Twitter excited?!"

Funniest bit is definitely the axe nudging into frame like a jealous lover. So simple, but it always works.

ynwtf 09-22-22 12:20 PM

lol, yes. The jealous "axe" and those screaming goats always cracked me up.

I remember when the trailers released wondering WHY Jane had to become Thor and of all the interweb speculation of her replacing him. There was actual meaning in it and I thought that was reasonable development. And the writing did NOT pander, in the end, to fairy tale happily-ever-after expectations, so points there as well.

Oh, and in the Omnipotence City, I cannot help but believe this fight sequence was a nod to Flash Gordon camp!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjFCVTpsIps

vema 09-24-22 08:18 AM

HYD7AM

Amazing movie

Raven73 09-24-22 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by WrinkledMind (Post 2331812)

This almost felt like a movie that the filmmaker was forced to make, rather than him wanting to make it. I hope that makes sense.

Or did Waititi have too much creative control?

Captain Steel 09-24-22 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Yoda (Post 2334828)
It was fine. Nowhere near as funny as Ragnarok but better than another warmed over noun-swap origin story at least. I appreciated that there was a clear purpose to Jane's hammer-wielding, too, rather than just "hey you know what would get Twitter excited?!"

Funniest bit is definitely the axe nudging into frame like a jealous lover. So simple, but it always works.
Chris, just curious about your reference - what is "another warmed over noun-swap origin story"? Can you provide an example?

Sadly, I've only seen a few of the Marvel movies, so I'm not familiar with some of them.

doubledenim 09-24-22 10:45 PM

If we are using first names, mine are Randall and Randee.

Please be respectful and never pronounce it with one L or an i.