Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Intermission: Miscellaneous Chat (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   What Makes You Laugh? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=63492)

matt72582 03-14-21 01:02 PM

What Makes You Laugh?

It used to be stand-up comedy.. I haven't seen anything great in a long time, and you can only laugh at your favorite stuff for so long until it's memorized - no element of surprise.

In the last few years, it's been reading NBA Game Threads on reddit (of my team, of course).

StuSmallz 03-14-21 07:25 PM

Game Grumps; it's sort of like a live, improv version of Mystery Science Theater, but for video game "let's plays":

https://youtu.be/dXxrOPXxhpA

John Dumbear 03-14-21 07:33 PM

Farts. They just never get old. Well, they do butt...

See what I did there. :sick:

matt72582 03-15-21 02:23 PM

Re: What Makes You Laugh?

Even as a kid, slapstick never humored me.

Stirchley 03-15-21 03:14 PM

I haven’t laughed for quite some time. :(

matt72582 03-15-21 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2187143)
I haven’t laughed for quite some time. :(

Sorry to hear. I think I went quite a long time myself, until I noticed what did make me laugh, although for some reason, I got tired of reading the comments. Most are lame, but those 1 in a 100 should be enough for my brain to automatically go to where the nourishment is.

I actually spent more time looking for instant coffee, despite not drinking coffee (trying to get rid of this almost week-long migraine)

Citizen Rules 03-15-21 05:34 PM

I watch this and it makes me laugh almost every night:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WhatsMyLineCBS

Stirchley 03-15-21 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2187227)
I actually spent more time looking for instant coffee, despite not drinking coffee (trying to get rid of this almost week-long migraine)
Can’t be good to have a migraine for a week. ??

Only thing that works for my very rare, but intense, migraines is 3 x Excedrin Migraine.

Citizen Rules 03-15-21 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2187244)

Only thing that works for my very rare, but intense, migraines is 3 x Excedrin Migraine.
Sorry to hear that, it could be caused from too much caffeine, too much alcohol, too much stress, not enough sleep, or maybe glass/contacts that need a new prescription.

matt72582 03-16-21 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by Stirchley (Post 2187244)

I get headaches a lot.. In this case, it was caffeine withdrawal. I drank about 80 ounces of Dr. Pepper five straight days. Today was "insomnia" night.. I was restless (now I'm stoned), had some weird dreams, had to pee more than usual. Now it's time to watch half the game recorded from yesterday, watch "my guys" lose.. And then hope to get a handful of laughs reading the comments.

You know, I noticed yesterday that my giggle receptors were up. I was laughing after things I thought of in the shower, or things I read elsewhere. I think laughter might be like a muscle, gotta "start it up" with lighter fluid, battery cables, something, and then once it "starts", use it or lose it.

Time to order groceries from my home so I can remain a statue in this house.

xSookieStackhouse 03-16-21 09:06 AM

bloopers

beelzebubble 03-16-21 10:11 AM

Love stand-up comedy.

matt72582 03-16-21 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2187447)
Love stand-up comedy.

Which ones?

beelzebubble 03-16-21 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2187460)
Which ones?
Bill Burr (hes the king), Tom Papa, Taylor Tomlinson, Brian Regan has a new set on Netflix I found very funny, Ali Wong, Sebastian Maniscalco, John Mulaney, that dude who used to write for Dave Chappelle what the heck is his name?, Jim Gaffigan, Lynn Koplitz

matt72582 03-16-21 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2187534)
Bill Burr (hes the king), Tom Papa, Taylor Tomlinson, Brian Regan has a new set on Netflix I found very funny, Ali Wong, Sebastian Maniscalco, John Mulaney, that dude who used to write for Dave Chappelle what the heck is his name?, Jim Gaffigan, Lynn Koplitz

I got into Bill Burr after his first special. Before, I just thought he was a comedic actor (Chappelle Show), and he's the youngest comedian I like. I think his last two specials weren't as great as his previous ones, but his podcast is still very good, and I never miss it. I've been wanting to listen to the Thursday past ones, just to compare.

Are you referring to Paul Mooney, the writer for Chappelle Show?

beelzebubble 03-17-21 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2187604)

Are you referring to Paul Mooney, the writer for Chappelle Show?

No, Neal Brennan,

matt72582 03-17-21 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by beelzebubble (Post 2187726)
No, Neal Brennan,

Oh, he was the co-creator. His "3 mics" was more sad than funny.

ynwtf 03-21-21 05:06 PM

Not much gets my attention anymore. I'm always cracking jokes at work to entertain others and to desperately hide my depressions, but about the only thing that gets me tickled are random posts here at mofo and random youtube rabbit holes. Used to be I loved Tosh standup. The show is a bit too much. Love Bill Burr whenever I catch him. I miss random online crap like Red vs. Blue, Zombie College, and those old fensler films GIJoe PSA parodies. PORK CHOP SAMMICHES;;!!!

In life, I laugh inside making people uncomfortable with my weird ramblings. To watch them question if I'm serious, joking, and how best to respond depending on what conclusion they come to.

Books and bumrolls 03-21-21 05:35 PM

Awkwardness makes me laugh always, i love rewatching scenes from the office or extras, it's very uncomfortable but so funny. Also these days I'm having a blast listening to your mom's house podcast with Tom segura and Christina p, whenever they play a game of would you rather i cry laughing.

MovieBuffering 03-22-21 02:00 AM

Originally Posted by matt72582 (Post 2187460)
Which ones?
Mark Normand. Tim Dillon. Andrew Schulz are the 3 that do it for me now. There are other but these guys all make me laugh like hell through their stand up and podcasts/podcast appearances. I think all 3 are 36-37 years old and I'm turning 34 this year so they are kind of my generation, maybe that's why I dig them.

Normand is my spirit animal ha. I've had convos with him on instagram he is real cool. But I think he is the most polished. He is sort Seinfeld vein but dirtier. I saw him live New Years and he killed. His actual stand up is the best going imo.

Dillion gives not one single f*ck. His humor is much darker. His podcast where he just rants is epic. He is great with social commentary. He has some great sketches on instagram.

Schulz has some great stand up bits but he is the best at rifting. He is quick on his feet. He probably has the broadest audience. He was doing sort of John Oliver type videos online that he ended up putting on Netflix as a special. But he was doing it without a bias unlike Oliver. He has a great perspective. All 3 of them do. I'd seriously check these 3 out, especially if you are around my age.

Oh yea and Kyle Dunningan is the best impressionist going right now. His instagram sketches are better then whatever the hell SNL is putting out now. His Biden is the best thing going right now.