Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Movie Reviews (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=47749)

Miss Vicky 01-13-17 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1627026)
What do you guys find entertaining about Showgirls? Just curious.
It's just so stupid that it's funny.

Sexy Celebrity 01-13-17 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1627013)
Number one is Quills.
Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1627014)
That goes without saying.
Sad.

Clazor 01-13-17 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by Camo (Post 1627023)
Wild Strawberries is amazing. It's the only film of his i love so far, think it was on my top ten in the 50's Countdown. Not seen the others yet.
I've heard this alot, both here on the forum and from other sources, and I can't fathom it. I watched Wild Strawberries in a film class my senior year of...High school? (How old are you when you graduate from high school?) It's been seven years, anyway, and all I can recall of the film is that it was slow as *****. I remember finding it unbearable and decided then and there that I wouldn't watch another Bergman (haven't since). Am I so wrong in my recollection? Can you explaine why you think it's so good and should I give it another chance?

Miss Vicky 01-13-17 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Clazor (Post 1627056)
I've heard this alot, both here on the forum and from other sources, and I can't fathom it. I watched Wild Strawberries in a film class my senior year of...High school? (How old are you when you graduate from high school?) It's been seven years, anyway, and all I can recall of the film is that it was slow as *****. I remember finding it unbearable and decided then and there that I wouldn't watch another Bergman (haven't since). Am I so wrong in my recollection? Can you explaine why you think it's so good and should I give it another chance?
I loved it because it was a very emotional film with superb performances and haunting imagery. I can see why it wouldn't appeal to a high schooler, but perhaps if you try again now you might see its worth. It's only about 90 minutes long, so it's not exactly a big commitment.

Clazor 01-13-17 07:10 PM

Re: The Resident Bitch's New Top 100 Favorite Films

Right...ok, I might give it another try.

The Gunslinger45 01-13-17 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by Mr Minio (Post 1627013)
Number one is Quills.
That is like saying my number 1 is Taxi Driver if i do a top 50. Some things are just understood. ;)

The Gunslinger45 01-13-17 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by seanc (Post 1627026)
Love Schindler's List and Persona has stuck with me through two watches. I think it is very good, something is kerping me from loving it while I watch it, maybe third time will do it.

What do you guys find entertaining about Showgirls? Just curious.
Because everyone got AIDS and sh*t.

Actual quote from the movie.

rauldc14 01-13-17 07:57 PM

I'd like to think Schindler's List would still be in my top 100 as well. Persona is pretty good but there's a few other Bergman I prefer over it.

Miss Vicky 01-13-17 08:14 PM

I have a confession to make: When I first compiled this new list, U Turn wasn't on it. This position was instead held by Robert Altman's The Long Goodbye, but a recent rewatch of U Turn for the 12th MoFo Hall of Fame reminded me just how much I love this bizarre neo-noir/black comedy and its collection of crazy characters. I know some MoFos will bristle at this switch, but the reality is that Elliot Gould's super-chill detective Philip Marlowe just can't quite compete with Joaquin Phoenix's dimwitted hothead Toby N. Tucker. I just hope that Marlowe would look at this and say "That's okay with me."

Miss Vicky 01-13-17 08:16 PM

http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...oadwarrior.jpg
http://www.angelfire.com/music6/walt...oadwarrior.gif

The Road Warrior
(George Miller, 1981)
Previous Rankings: NEW TO THE LIST

Though I only recently got back into it, I grew up with this film and have long enjoyed its craziness. The costumes, the vehicles - it's a big blast of fun. Though, of course, it is not my favorite of the series. That one will come later.

cricket 01-13-17 08:43 PM

I like The Road Warrior but prefer Mad Max. It's at least easily the second best of the series;)

Showgirls is entertaining and Berkley is smoking.

I remember being a little disappointed in U Turn, but of course I'll be watching it again soon.

I've seen about 10 Bergman films I liked more than Persona, but I know I have to see it again.

Haven't seen Schindler's List.

Miss Vicky 01-13-17 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by cricket (Post 1627112)
I like The Road Warrior but prefer Mad Max. It's at least easily the second best of the series;)
I actually find the original Mad Max kind of boring. It's my least favorite of the series.

Haven't seen Schindler's List.
You need to correct that.

cricket 01-13-17 08:54 PM

I was like 8 when I saw Mad Max at the movies so it was a pretty big deal at the time.

Schindler's List is probably the most substantial movie I've yet to see.

seanc 01-13-17 09:00 PM

Haven't seen U Turn. Don't get the Mad Max love, maybe if I had seen it in my teens.

CosmicRunaway 01-13-17 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1627113)
I actually find the original Mad Max kind of boring. It's my least favorite of the series.
I completely agree. I usually tell people to skip it and just go ahead and watch The Road Warrior instead, especially since the entirety of the first film is summed up in the opening narration.

Gatsby 01-13-17 09:22 PM

Glad to see Showgirls on your list, it's a great movie, well, because it's fun. If you looked at it from a more serious perspective, it's way too long, pointless and ungraceful. :p

Gatsby 01-13-17 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by Miss Vicky (Post 1627105)
Though, of course, it is not my favorite of the series. That one will come later.
:eek: So you mean the first film in the series? Oh boy!

Miss Vicky 01-13-17 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Gatsby (Post 1627126)
:eek: So you mean the first film in the series? Oh boy!
I'd sooner include Beyond Thunderdome.

jiraffejustin 01-13-17 10:06 PM

Other than Fury Road, I've only seen the very first film the series. It put me off of watching Road Warrior. I'll probably watch someday, but the original took my enthusiasm away.

Miss Vicky 01-13-17 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by jiraffejustin (Post 1627135)
Other than Fury Road, I've only seen the very first film the series. It put me off of watching Road Warrior. I'll probably watch someday, but the original took my enthusiasm away.
That's a shame.

The Road Warrior's a really good movie and far more interesting than Mad Max. It doesn't have nearly as much action as Fury Road and has a little more emphasis on story and characters, but still keeps up a fair amount of excitement throughout.

I grew up with The Road Warrior and Beyond Thunderdome and didn't watch the original until the preparations for the 70s countdown. I'm glad that's how it went for me. I think if I had seen the original first it would have killed my enthusiasm too.