Movie Forums (http://www.movieforums.com/community/index.php)
-   Home Theater Questions & Information (http://www.movieforums.com/community/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   What's currently the most prized item in your DVD collection and why? (http://www.movieforums.com/community/showthread.php?t=8452)

Tazz 08-27-04 12:16 PM

What's currently the most prized item in your DVD collection and why?

Originally Posted by Sammo55
What do you currently reckon is the most prized item in your DVD
collection (which doesn't have to be a DVD title, but probably is)
and please say why?

OG- 08-27-04 02:02 PM

The Criterion Collection of Silence of the Lambs seeing as it is in mint condition and no longer available.

Yoda 08-27-04 02:07 PM

It's a tie between my two LOTR Extended Editions. Soon to be joined by a third. They did a helluva job on them.

The Taxi Driver 08-27-04 11:17 PM

i like my special edition Pulp Fiction. because its my favorite movie and its well put together and has alot of special features

Tazz 08-28-04 03:02 AM

Originally Posted by MichaelMyers
i like my special edition Pulp Fiction. because its my favorite movie and its well put together and has alot of special features
it's Collector's Edition Actually.

Heartagram 08-28-04 03:05 AM

its a toss up between my Evil Dead: Book of the Dead or Brazil: Criterion Collection.

The Taxi Driver 08-28-04 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Zzat
oh ok i like my collector's edition of pulp fiction

zBLARz 08-29-04 12:23 PM

My Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings special edition. As Yoda said, they put lots of work into it.

nebbit 08-30-04 08:48 AM

All my Marilyn Munroe movies, I just love her.

http://weekly.ahram.org.eg/2004/677/liv02.jpg

Dazed&Confused 08-30-04 09:45 AM

The Godfather Box set or The Book of the Dead

Tazz 08-30-04 01:17 PM

i would say my Stanley Kubrick Collection if i had one :D

AboveTheClouds 08-30-04 02:52 PM

I am going to say my Stanley Kubrick collection... even though it IS missing The Killing, Killers Kiss and Paths of Glory.... But I own all those anyway :) and it's all because Warners couldn't get rights to them......

SamsoniteDelilah 08-30-04 03:21 PM

http://www.mediacircus.net/godfather___1.jpg
  • I just watched it and fell in love with it again
  • It's pure awesomeness in filmmaking
  • The acting (except poor S.C.) is amazing
  • The bonus materials were spiffy
  • The story is perfect

Garrett 09-03-04 06:13 PM

Is there really a difference?

As for me:
http://red-colored.org/lazysod/3314156.jpg
Not much for special features but nothing beats having the entire collection at my fingertips.

AboveTheClouds 09-03-04 06:32 PM

I WANT. How much did you pay Garrett?

Tazz 09-03-04 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Garrett
i was guessing you were going say monty.

you get Scorsese?

Tazz 09-03-04 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Animal_Mother
a bundle of cash, just like that Stanley Kubrick Collection you have! How much you get yours for?

AboveTheClouds 09-03-04 06:49 PM

I got a deal since I work in a video store I payed $85(Cdn)

Garrett 09-03-04 07:31 PM

It was a gift but I imagine the retail price is something outrageous. I damn near fell out of my chair when I opened it and realized what it was.
You can look it up on Amazon probably.

Zzat: Nope, I still haven't got it, I went looking for it 1 or 2 weeks ago and nowhere had it. A local Wal-Mart said they were expecting to get it soon, so I've been putting off getting online (I hate the anticipation ;) )

Moviez&Dvdz4life 09-04-04 08:51 PM

the most prized item in my dvd collection is Pirates of the Caribbean 2-disc collectors edition with the case.
I know its sounds corny, but i have a limited dvd collection, so oh well!

Later

sisboombah 09-05-04 08:29 AM

mine would be my limited edition dogville box set. a, because it is dogville and has nicole in. b, because its really cool and has postcards and film cells in it. c, because it cost me $100 dollars which means its the most expensive dvd purchase i have made ever on one dvd.

projectMayhem 09-05-04 09:46 AM

Mine's a three way tie between the Casablanca 2 disc set, The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly 2 disc set, and the Indiana Jones Trilogy.

Tazz 09-05-04 10:26 AM

i never said mine so mine would probably be either the Godfather DVD Collection or Martin Scorsese Collection, but i payed more for the Scorsese.

Agent 0 Zero 09-05-04 04:05 PM

My most prized dvd's have to have the actors that my friends and I like. Our fav's are Gene Wilder, Richard Pryor, Denis Leary, and Kiefer !!! :p
http://www.kuhse.com/Actors/gene_wilder.jpg

AboveTheClouds 09-05-04 04:21 PM

Soon enough I shall own the clerks 10th anniversary DVD edition. That will be my second most prized DVD.

Agent 0 Zero 09-05-04 05:40 PM

Soon enough I shall own the clerks 10th anniversary DVD edition. That will be my second most prized DVD.
I loved clerks. When does it come out? :eek:

Urban Cowboy 09-08-04 02:04 PM

I'd have to say my 10th Aniversary Edition of Reservoir Dogs. I managed to get all five limited edition covers, and it has some fantastic extras. I think the Film Noir piece is one of the most imformative things I've seen in a long time, and the revisiting of the Sundance Festival was also great.

Monkeypunch 09-08-04 02:52 PM

yeah, The CLerks tenth anniversary DVD is my new god. lol. I love all the extras and the new cartoon sequence is disturbingly funny. 3 disks of Kevin Smith goodness for 24 bucks? yeah, its incredible.

Tazz 09-08-04 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Urban Cowboy
I'd have to say my 10th Aniversary Edition of Reservoir Dogs. I managed to get all five limited edition covers, and it has some fantastic extras. I think the Film Noir piece is one of the most imformative things I've seen in a long time, and the revisiting of the Sundance Festival was also great.
is it 5 of the same dvds just different covers?

thankyoucomeagain 09-08-04 06:14 PM

my kill bills

totalacid1 09-08-04 08:03 PM

red dwarf

so many to choose from well for special fetures id have to go for the american pie trilogy

but as far as to say if i lost my collection of dvds the things id miss the most is my red dwarf series i love red dwarf dave lister is my idol

SMEGHEAD
:devil:

projectMayhem 09-08-04 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by Monkeypunch
yeah, The CLerks tenth anniversary DVD is my new god. lol. I love all the extras and the new cartoon sequence is disturbingly funny. 3 disks of Kevin Smith goodness for 24 bucks? yeah, its incredible.
Have you seen An Evening With Kevin Smith I watched it a couple weeks ago and the amount of Kevin Smith universe material included is mind boggling. He has a ***** load of weird stories.

Urban Cowboy 09-17-04 05:10 PM

is it 5 of the same dvds just different covers?
No I just own 1 copy of the DVD. I just got my friends to give me their covers. But, all the viewing material is the same.

Miles 09-17-04 11:53 PM

i got it for 20 at best buy! i was like wtf, and grabbed one right away. 3 disks for 20 bucks was like the best deal i've gotten. and maybe the evil dead book of the dead i got for 20 bucks too.

gummo 09-18-04 12:05 AM

My most prized DVD is my Trailerpark Boys season 1 & 2 and season 3. If any Canadians out there has not seen this show, watch it. This is the funniest show i have ever seen in my life. Some Americans may have seen it, I heard it was supposed to come to a comedy channel or something, only it beeps out the swearing. But thats American television for ya. The bloopers at the end of the dvds are hilarious. Watch this show!!!!

AboveTheClouds 09-18-04 12:29 AM

If you're Canadian and haven't heard of this show... you're either deaf or stupid.. Trailer Park Boys owns faces......

\m/Ricky\m/Julian\m/Bubbles\m/Randy\m/Lahey\m/Corey\m/Trevor\m/J-Rock\m/T\m/Barb\m/Lucy\m/Sara\m/Trinity\m/Erika\m/Detriot Velvet Smooth\m/

neicy 09-18-04 02:25 AM

The Lord of the Rings......Because when you've read the books and you get up close
and personal with Mr.Tolken, You can't help but watch each movie one after the
other It really is a great relaxing feeling for me and a whole lot of fun.

neicy 09-18-04 02:35 AM

hey niecy again. Has anyone seen or heard of that pirate movie its a classic.

YELLOWBEARD! I don't know who's in it . Just caught a little bit on vhf one night

nebbit 09-18-04 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by neicy
YELLOWBEARD! I don't know who's in it . Just caught a little bit on vhf one night
This is what I think of YELLOWBEARD, :down:

Ash_Lee 09-18-04 07:33 AM

I suppose my Two Towers Extended Edition DVD is the one I cherish most, followed by Pirates of the Caribbean.

Jacob_S 10-25-04 07:16 PM

my would be my extended edetion of all 3 LOTR box sets there all joined and limited edition

Reservoir_Dog 10-25-04 07:37 PM

My copy of Once Upon A Time In The West, because I love Spaghetti Westerns and the DVD package is so well put together, it fits in nicely next to my other Westerns.

Also my Discontinued edition of Fight Club or my Discontinued edition of Reservoir Dogs.

iluv2viddyfilms 11-06-04 12:38 PM

Red River and Taxi Driver because they're my two favorite movies.

But I know, I know you wanted it based on features/look/menu's ect,

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Hmm probably Criterion edition of Straw Dogs, which is out of print now. It has a great commentary which takes one point of view on the film and runs with it. I also believe its what Peckinpah had in mind to when he made the film, message wise. Goes against what Pauleine Kael said in her imfamous review. Speaking of Kael there's a lot of stuff about how Peckinpah fired back at her including text of a couple of letters. Also there's a couple of 20 minute or so interviews with Susan George and Dustin Hoffman. Susan George was told she got the role in a very interesting method.

But the highlight of the disc besides the movie and the excellent transfer is the documentary Sam Peckinpah: Man of Iron. It has interviews with actors who worked with him and focuses a lot on his rebelous side or the side that earned him the nickname "Bloody Sam"

Great movie and a great DVD and since it's out of print, I hate to part ways with it. Also it's the only movie I paid the full Criterion price of $40 for. I saw it was going out of print and that they were going to release another edition of the film which was more bare bones in features, ect. (the one that is out today) so I had to grab it.

undead_bunny 11-09-04 10:46 PM

My Kill Bill DVDs, no one shall touch them! No one! :p

Charismasloverno5 11-10-04 08:58 AM

You can have your Kill Bill DVD's, I'm sure no one will want them, lol, im jokin, i would say the most valued DVD in my collection will probably be Futurama Seasons 1-4.

James_Sparrow 11-10-04 12:02 PM

I think I cherish all of my dvd's because I'm not one for picking favorites but if I had to, It's would be a three way tie.

1. My Tim Burton Collection
2. The Ed Wood Box Set
3. The Extended Editions of Lord Of The Rings (With The Figurines)

Charismasloverno5 11-10-04 12:39 PM

I wouldn't really say that LOTR comes with figurines, I would say they are statues.
However.......can't wait for ROTK to come out on DVD.

scissorhands85 11-10-04 12:45 PM

Well I don't have any DVDs thanks to some thiefs at my apartment complex, but I recently bought Ed Wood on VHS for a 1.99. Considering that is the only thing in my movie collection period, it is my most prized.

My roomated bought a used Van Wilder DVD but it is not mine and nor do I want to claim it as my most prized (even though it does shell out a few good laughs).

In my stolen collection though I might go with What's Eating Gilbert Grape or The Back to the Future Trilogy, dang that was some good stuff.

Charismasloverno5 11-10-04 12:50 PM

but will you ever recover from the loss of all your DVD's, i all my DVD's were stolen, I would just give up and cry. lol

scissorhands85 11-10-04 01:37 PM

I cried for about four hours. I cried for the loss of my treasures, it took me a good while to hunt down some of those DVDs. I also cried for the loss of my PS2 which was used as my DVD player. Being a poor college student I haven't the money to buy any DVDs yet or start replacing them, heres to hoping for a good christmas!!! haha

Charismasloverno5 11-10-04 01:58 PM

heres to hoping for a good christmas!!! haha
yes, we all have christmasses as well

Sedai 11-10-04 05:33 PM

A few items in my collection fit the bill:

The top item is still-

Unbreakable, with it's slick case design, Alex Ross sketches of Mr. Glass and Sentryman, all wrapped around an incredible film...

Some others:

The LotR Extended Editions - These things are ridiculous, with enough content to keep even the most die-hard fan busy for quite some time...

Pulp Fiction (Collector's Edition) - Another top notch case wrapped around stellar content...

Lawrence of Arabia
- The suber-bit, color corrected version of this seminal film is clearly, something to write home about.

Honorable mention:

Blade Runner - I have to mention it because it is THE BEST MOVIE EVER!! The DVD is so-so, and I would LOVE to see a special edition hit the streets.

Charismasloverno5 11-11-04 06:04 AM

come to think of it, my indiana jones trilogy is one of my precious DVD's

spudracer 11-21-04 07:22 AM

I agree with Sedai on Unbreakable, it's a great collector's item.

I'd have to say that since being over in Japan, I'm afraid to buy any DVD set of value, because I'm not able to guarentee that it would make it back to the states in one piece.

A couple I have back home are:

Fight Club - Soap box

Se7en - Limited box

E.T. - Limited Release

These are all simply because you can't find them like this anymore. While they were on shelves for quite some time, the simple fact that you'll have to dig hard to find them now, is a good enough reason to cherish them.

The Sarge 11-21-04 05:35 PM

My MST3K dvd's..... quite expensive, nobody borrows them, nobody fiddles with them, in fact, don't even look at them!!!!!!

scissorhands85 11-21-04 06:42 PM

Charisma, does it matter if everyone celebrates christmas? NO. did I make an assumption that everyone here does? NO. I was talking about me, so get over it and don't take everything everyone says as if it directly relates to you because it doesn't.

jrs 11-21-04 08:49 PM

My most prized DVD possesion? Boy there are so many. Well, on the top of the list I suppose would HAVE to be without a doubt ..............

Braveheart_1298 11-24-04 07:21 PM

I have alot of prized possessions, LOTR Extended Editions, Buffy season 1 -7, Angel Season 1 -4, Smallville Season 1-3, X Files season 1-4, Firefly, Indiana jones Boxset, Alien Quadrilogy and my Terminator 2 black tin case, special edition

LillyVon 11-24-04 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Garrett

As for me:
http://red-colored.org/lazysod/3314156.jpg
Not much for special features but nothing beats having the entire collection at my fingertips.
Damn, that's not available yet in Australia or that would be mine!!!!

LillyVon 11-24-04 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by The Sarge
My MST3K dvd's..... quite expensive, nobody borrows them, nobody fiddles with them, in fact, don't even look at them!!!!!!
Here here!! I'm ordering mine off Amazon cause they don't sell them in Australia and I refuse to loan them out, even though I want people to watch them! Girl in Golden Boots still a mega stand out!

Alien Quadrilogy still a big standout for quality of making of's, interviews etc. 40 Hours of special features plus BOTH versions of the movies is pretty bloody good. Also I work at Fox so get paid for saying all that!!! ;) ;)

LillyVon 11-24-04 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Braveheart_1298
I have alot of prized possessions, LOTR Extended Editions, Buffy season 1 -7, Angel Season 1 -4, Smallville Season 1-3, X Files season 1-4, Firefly, Indiana jones Boxset, Alien Quadrilogy and my Terminator 2 black tin case, special edition
You should work for Fox!!! :p :p

cflores210 06-22-05 07:55 PM

a TELENOVELA...

HEY WHAT'S UP!
One of my prized DVD is actually a DVD I recently bought. Rubi, a spanish soap opera that became very popular here in the united States. If your up for anything you should pick up a copy and let me know what you thought.

hayward 06-23-05 08:52 AM

my most prized possesion is Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition

http://www1.cd-wow.com/detail_result...uct_code=12403

Tacitus 06-23-05 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai
Blade Runner - I have to mention it because it is THE BEST MOVIE EVER!! The DVD is so-so, and I would LOVE to see a special edition hit the streets.
I feel your pain...

I look at my Blade Runner disc and, even though it's one that I couldn't bear to part with, can't help thinking how shoddily this great movie's been treated.

Sedai 06-23-05 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Tacitus
I feel your pain...

I look at my Blade Runner disc and, even though it's one that I couldn't bear to part with, can't help thinking how shoddily this great movie's been treated.
If I am not mistaken, Blade Runner and Twister were two of the first DVDs to be released in the states. My copy of BR doesn't even have a real DVD menu to speak of. When you punch up "menu", a WB logo appears with a link to the chapter list, and that's it. Zero special features. Must have been a test run for WB....

Want to add a couple to my list:

Raging Bull : Special Edition
Star Wars : OT
Martin Scorsese Box Set

Tacitus 06-23-05 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by Sedai
If I am not mistaken, Blade Runner and Twister were two of the first DVDs to be released in the states. My copy of BR doesn't even have a real DVD menu to speak of. When you punch up "menu", a WB logo appears with a link to the chapter list, and that's it. Zero special features. Must have been a test run for WB....
I've just popped mine (R2) into the player, and it's exactly the same.

Shoddy...

The Taxi Driver 06-23-05 11:18 AM

im gonna add more

http://images.greencine.com/images/a...collection.jpg

http://images.rottentomatoes.com/ima...0182_thumb.jpg
just wish it had a commentary

http://www.aow13.com/pics02/halloween25th.jpg

Dr West 06-23-05 12:52 PM

That's either:
My James Bond collection - Because I'm a james bond fan.
or
Resident Evil:Apocalypse - It's the only film I have with Sienna Guillory in it, so far.............

Darth Stujitzu 06-23-05 01:29 PM

It's probably the three WB special edition boxsets that I have. The coolest thing is that there is a single 35mm frame from each of the movies, amongst other things, like screenplays, picture cards, posters etc.
So far I own;
Bullit.
Casablanca, and
The Matrix.
These are cool collectors items, and I got them reduced cause the DVD shop was closing down. Everyone loves a bargain.

SamsoniteDelilah 06-23-05 03:43 PM

The Godfather collection: 1,2,3 and a bonus.
Withnail and I
The Passion of Joan of Arc

Tacitus 06-23-05 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
Withnail and I
Cinders, if I may pick your brains for a minute? :)

Does your copy of Withnail & I feature some very obvious and badly integrated ADR (mainly from McGann's character's voiceover)?

As soon as I upgraded my VHS copy to the R2 SE release I noticed (and cursed giving my old video to the charity shop). :(

There's a 2 page thread about this on the Withnail forum (here) if you don't know what I'm on about, but they seem to be talking only about the R2 release...

SamsoniteDelilah 06-23-05 04:38 PM

You can pick my brains if you can find 'em, D. ;)
Sadly, my copy is the pre-Criterion with no extras. The sound throughout could be better. I don't know what ADR is, and your link goes to the main page of the forum where no mention of ADR jumped out at me. McGann's vo's during the early cafe scene and later when he's in the bathtub are pretty hackneyd. Is that what you mean?

Tacitus 06-24-05 04:39 AM

Originally Posted by SamsoniteDelilah
You can pick my brains if you can find 'em, D. ;)
Sadly, my copy is the pre-Criterion with no extras. The sound throughout could be better. I don't know what ADR is, and your link goes to the main page of the forum where no mention of ADR jumped out at me. McGann's vo's during the early cafe scene and later when he's in the bathtub are pretty hackneyd. Is that what you mean?
ADR means Additional Dialogue Recording - ie redubbing. The two scenes you mention are two that were redubbed so you're on the right track even if you didn't know it (sounds like the way I figure out most things...).

That forum's weird. Every page you click has the same address. If you can't stand pages of nutters shouting "Monty you terrible ****!" at each other, I'll spare you the bother. :)

Originally Posted by A nutter who probably shouts "Monty you terrible ****"
It appears you are refering to the original theatrical release...these are the changes made to the original and subsequently released on VHS and DVD:-

Marwoods opening voice-over has been redubbed.
Marwoods speach about his thumbs having gone weird has been cut. The scene thus goes from the line "I don`t feel good" to "Look at my tongue".
Withnails "I'm gonna pull your head off" has been cut.
Dannys anecdote about The Coalman has been cut.
Some dialogue concerning Withnails current work and Marwood also being a thespian has been cut out of the scene at Montys home.
The scene of Marwood slipping in the mud and then angrily persuading Withnail to have another look at the shed has been cut.
The first part of Withnail and Marwoods conversation with the major, concerning Withnail having been in the Territorials, has been cut. The scene in this version simply dissolves from Withnail and Marwood walking to the pub with Marwoods voice-over to the major bringing up the subject of Jake. Marwoods line about why Withnail lied to the major has understandably also been cut.
The word Saveloy has been redubbed to Sausage.
It's been butchered...

Pyro Tramp 08-07-05 05:32 AM

Strangely it's my Infernal Affairs Collectors Box Set, which i imported from Hong Kong, it only cost about 50p and i got Ashes of Time with it free. ****ing awesomest deal ever. DVDs are all good quality and legit, they come in a fancy case and there's a bonus disc of extras, and it only cost 50p!!!

The_Butcher 08-07-05 04:45 PM

I have this Lord of the Rings the two towers thats different from the others because I owned it before it was even released to the public. I got connections like that.:cool:

Cassidy Bogart 08-10-05 01:17 AM

My Uncut International Version 2-Disc Set of Trainspotting
I paid full price for it, but it was well worth it.

The Sarge 08-10-05 08:34 AM

Kung Fu Hustle. Picked it up on www.cdwow.co.uk about 7months ago for £9.99 and must have watched it 5 or 6 times now.

(and before anyone asks, No, it's not a bootleg copy)

Misirlou 08-11-05 01:58 AM

City Of God. I had to pay twenty bucks for it even though it was only a one disc set, but it was worth it.

Ash_Lee 08-11-05 05:16 PM

My Lord of the Rings boxset of Extended Editions. I've had it since Christmas and there still aren't any scuffs on the packaging :D

Sedai 08-11-05 06:07 PM

Adding another....

A Very Long Engagement (Jeunet, 2004)

STELLAR transfer, and quite possibly the best "Making Of" I have ever seen. It's almost as long as the film itself, and it has so much great inside information about so many of the scenes in the film. Add to this a great documentary about Paris in the 20s, as well as a doc about the zeppelin explosion, and we have a real gem. I also love the menu design. For any Jeunet fan, this disc is a must have...

susan 08-11-05 07:21 PM

all three versions of brazil....

Misirlou 08-11-05 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by susan
all three versions of brazil....
What is brazil?

Strummer521 08-11-05 07:37 PM

Stick around...you'll find out ;)

Holden Pike 08-11-05 07:38 PM

Originally Posted by Misirlou
What is brazil?
Terry Gilliam's Brazil (1985)

http://www.letralia.com/116/cirugia.jpg

Strummer521 08-11-05 07:40 PM

Told ya. :) For more info: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088846/?afsrc=1

Misirlou 08-11-05 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Holden Pike
Terry Gilliam's Brazil (1985)

http://www.letralia.com/116/cirugia.jpg
:eek:

jrs 08-12-05 01:25 AM

Finally rented Amélie the other day, and went straight to Best Buy late this afternoon and added it to my collection. :cool:

LordSlaytan 08-12-05 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by jrs
Finally rented Amélie the other day, and went straight to Best Buy late this afternoon and added it to my collection. :cool:
You hadn't seen it yet? I'm amazed.

I'm glad you liked it, though. Have you seen any other Jeunet films?

Strummer521 08-12-05 01:29 AM

I still need to see it too.

jrs 08-12-05 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by LordSlaytan
You hadn't seen it yet? I'm amazed.

I'm glad you liked it, though. Have you seen any other Jeunet films?

Saw Delicatessan which I give
and Alien 4, though I do wanna see A Very Long Engagement. :D

Strummer521 08-12-05 01:39 AM

Originally Posted by jrs
though I do wanna see A Very Long Engagement. :D
Do not hesitate. I just saw it and I seriously think it's flawless.

LordSlaytan 08-12-05 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by jrs
Saw Delicatessan which I give
and Alien 4, though I do wanna see A Very Long Engagement. :D
Please don't lump Alien: Resurrection along with Jeunet's other films. It was written by a guy who mainly wrote for television. He had no clue how to write that film adequately, let alone well. Hell, he’s writing the new Wonder Woman movie, that ought to tell ya’ something. It's certainly not a real Jeunet film like Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, Amélie, and A Very Long Engagement.

...and what are you waiting for with A Very Long Engagement? Get off your ass, jerz! ;)

Ezikiel 08-12-05 01:55 AM

I love Amélie and A Very Long Engangement, but Delicatessen was a huge disspointment given that it was Jeunet. The film is just far too odd and seems like the story is forced with visuals overlacking a not very good story alltogether. But, those are just my thoughts on it, I'd grade it a C+ for some funny situations, but I think it failed at what it was trying to do.

Thursday Next 08-12-05 06:54 AM

Please don't lump Alien: Resurrection along with Jeunet's other films. It was written by a guy who mainly wrote for television. He had no clue how to write that film adequately, let alone well. Hell, he’s writing the new Wonder Woman movie, that ought to tell ya’ something.
I think you are being a bit harsh on Whedon. It wasn't really that he had no clue how to write the film adequately, more that there was a clash of vision and what he wrote ended up getting changed so that some of it didn't make sense, what you got in the end was kind of a mash of his original story and Jeunet's ideas which didn't really work.

Pyro Tramp 08-12-05 12:22 PM

Can anyone help me find a decent copy of City of Lost Children? I've wanted it for a while now and keep finding english dubbed copies, plus it's deleted in region 2.

SpaztheGeek 08-26-05 12:54 AM

Hard to choose.
(OP means out of print, or so i believe)
-I have a signed Book Of The Dead (signed by Bruce Campbell)
-OP Memento CE
-OP Abyss CE
-OP Fight Club CE
-Criterion Collection Rushmore, Royal Tenenbaums, Videodrome, or Life Aquatic.

Thats all I can think of right now, its hard to decide.

SpaztheGeek 08-26-05 12:59 AM

Other than that, I am more proud of my complete, or almost complete collections, which include:

Tarantino (All Collector's Edition)
Fincher (All Collector's Edition, except Panic Room, but maybe panic room ce soon)
The Living Dead Trilogy
Alien Quadrilogy+AVP+Predator 1 CE/Predator 2 SE
Rodriguez collection-spy kids trilogy and the Faculty
All LOTR Box Sets
Amityville Horror Collection
Several John Carpenter movies
Back To The Future Trilogies
American Pie Trilogy
etc....

Misirlou 08-26-05 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by SpaztheGeek
Rodriguez collection-spy kids trilogy and the Faculty
Does your Rodriguez collection include El Mariachi, Desperado, and Once Upon A Time in Mexico? How about From Dusk Till Dawn? It's not even a Robert Rodriguez collection without those!

Clark Nova 09-08-05 12:04 PM

Hmm, I think I would say my Leone "Dollars" trilogy. All special editions with fold-out digipack packaging:

http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/co...7/626567_m.jpg http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/co...6/626566_m.jpg http://www.virginmegastores.co.uk/co...9/561109_m.jpg

Picture and sound are excellent, plus they all have lots of extras and just look great up there on my shelf.

Sedai 09-08-05 02:16 PM

Please don't lump Alien: Resurrection along with Jeunet's other films. It was written by a guy who mainly wrote for television. He had no clue how to write that film adequately, let alone well. Hell, he’s writing the new Wonder Woman movie, that ought to tell ya’ something. It's certainly not a real Jeunet film like Delicatessen, The City of Lost Children, Amélie, and A Very Long Engagement.

...and what are you waiting for with A Very Long Engagement? Get off your ass, jerz! ;)
The guy? Lol, you mean Joss Whedon? I think Joss is a fantastic writer, and I love his shows. I am in the camp that it was a clash of vision, because Joss can definitely write. Still, I wonder why they chose him for the project, as the Alien mythos aren't anywhere near his style. I will agree that he was probably a bit overwhelmed and out of his element, but his writing skills are damn good and he has a massive cult fanbase. Actually, he penned 12 issues of Astonishing X-men somewhat recently that I thought were just great. He seems to be dabbling in various mediums, and he has a new Sci-Fi film coming out based on the little known but wonderful Firefly series....